Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? 06:59 - May 28 with 5258 viewsElderGrizzly

It's utterly pathetic, even if i think the debates are pointless. I wonder if Corbyn will call her bluff and turn up?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/28/amber-rudd-to-stand-in-for-ther
I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 09:13 - May 28 with 3169 viewsWD19

That is madness....unless the Labour party decide to match up with her opposite number.

Shambles.
I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 09:18 - May 28 with 3156 viewsElderGrizzly

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 09:13 - May 28 by WD19

That is madness....unless the Labour party decide to match up with her opposite number.

Shambles.

I'm hoping Corbyn does turn up as that will show how ridiculous she is being.

Just looks lik it is below her to talk to the British people, even if the debates are rather pointless
I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 09:54 - May 28 with 3109 viewsSomethingBlue

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 09:18 - May 28 by ElderGrizzly

Just looks lik it is below her to talk to the British people, even if the debates are rather pointless

He should do. More broadly it's very obvious that she is not fit for purpose and that people have started to get her number in quite a big way. With a few more weeks this could have got very interesting indeed but I suspect she'll just about ride it out. Shame, because she is absolutely appalling.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:01 - May 28 with 3037 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 09:18 - May 28 by ElderGrizzly

Cameron did the same in 2015 and it didn't hurt him. Miliband found himself the focus of attacks from the Nats, Lib Dems, greens and UKIP.

Dave put his feet up and opened the popcorn.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:04 - May 28 with 3037 viewsLord_Lucan

They should have sent no one. These leadership debates are ridiculous.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:08 - May 28 with 3029 viewsSomethingBlue

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:01 - May 28 by GlasgowBlue

Cameron did the same in 2015 and it didn't hurt him. Miliband found himself the focus of attacks from the Nats, Lib Dems, greens and UKIP.

Dave put his feet up and opened the popcorn.

Feels a bit different this time in terms of public perception though. Cameron has an easy way about him and - much as I disagree with him on many things as well as the fact he left us in the sh!t - doesn't come across as a bad bloke. May is charmless, guileless and well out of her depth - it's become very clear and doubtless the Tories want her speaking in public and thinking on the hoof as little as possible.
[Post edited 28 May 2017 11:09]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:22 - May 28 with 2972 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:08 - May 28 by SomethingBlue

Feels a bit different this time in terms of public perception though. Cameron has an easy way about him and - much as I disagree with him on many things as well as the fact he left us in the sh!t - doesn't come across as a bad bloke. May is charmless, guileless and well out of her depth - it's become very clear and doubtless the Tories want her speaking in public and thinking on the hoof as little as possible.
[Post edited 28 May 2017 11:09]

I agree that she's a terrible performer. Not only that but she is indecisive which doesn't bode well for the Bexit negotiations.

That said, most people don't watch the whole deates and see the highlights on the news.

Iron Lion Zion

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:29 - May 28 with 2965 viewsGunnsAirkick

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:22 - May 28 by GlasgowBlue

I agree that she's a terrible performer. Not only that but she is indecisive which doesn't bode well for the Bexit negotiations.

That said, most people don't watch the whole deates and see the highlights on the news.

We have had some very interesting Canvassing Feedback in the last week or so. Quite a few Lib Dems and Greens switching to Labour but also quite a few UKIP to Labour. My mate is one of them, he switched after Corbyn's speech as he agreed with the need to look at the relationship with Saudi Arabia and he loves the Manifesto and is more confident after reading about 'People's QE'. I think the Tories will still win but the balls up they've made in the last month or so is something to behold, credit to Corbyn though for going s**t or bust.
Login to get fewer ads

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:12 - May 28 with 2821 viewsVic

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:22 - May 28 by GlasgowBlue

No, no, GB, she's strong and stable. Apparently.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:14 - May 28 with 2817 viewsWD19

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:29 - May 28 by GunnsAirkick

We have had some very interesting Canvassing Feedback in the last week or so. Quite a few Lib Dems and Greens switching to Labour but also quite a few UKIP to Labour. My mate is one of them, he switched after Corbyn's speech as he agreed with the need to look at the relationship with Saudi Arabia and he loves the Manifesto and is more confident after reading about 'People's QE'. I think the Tories will still win but the balls up they've made in the last month or so is something to behold, credit to Corbyn though for going s**t or bust.

In his case....and tbh the other lot too.....I am not sure s**t or bust are mutually exclusive.
I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:16 - May 28 with 2811 viewsjas0999

Completely agree. I really want to see the PM turn up to these debates. Her refusal is worrying. Surely the PM has to debate at high level meetings?

Equally though, just because May isn't going to take part doesn't mean it's a good excuse for Corbyn not to. On the contrary makes him look bad to. In my opinion. No reason not to. He could use it to a significant advantage. Odd.
I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:35 - May 28 with 2770 viewsDolly2.0

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 11:29 - May 28 by GunnsAirkick

I've been saying all along this election will be closer than most were predicting and the polls are starting to show that now.

The Tories have got complacent and May not bothering to turn up to and all leaders debate is another example of that. I really hope JC does turn up - it's a great opportunity to show the public he's not afraid to debate like May is.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:42 - May 28 with 2745 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:35 - May 28 by Dolly2.0

I've been saying all along this election will be closer than most were predicting and the polls are starting to show that now.

The Tories have got complacent and May not bothering to turn up to and all leaders debate is another example of that. I really hope JC does turn up - it's a great opportunity to show the public he's not afraid to debate like May is.

Not sure it's a great idea. I agree with your general point and it would be nice to see him there but the Tory spoiler Farron and the SNP will see Corbyn as the biggest and easiest target to attack. We'd need a MOTM performance from Corbyn. Anything less and it would be a net loss IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:51 - May 28 with 2725 viewsDolly2.0

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:42 - May 28 by J2BLUE

Not sure it's a great idea. I agree with your general point and it would be nice to see him there but the Tory spoiler Farron and the SNP will see Corbyn as the biggest and easiest target to attack. We'd need a MOTM performance from Corbyn. Anything less and it would be a net loss IMO.

I agree he'd need to perform well. I think he does, generally, so I see no reason why he wouldn't.

Yes Farron and the SNP would attack him, but EVERYONE would lay into May for not even showing up IMO. She's already come off the worst before the debate has even started.

Corbyn just turning up would win extra votes IMO. May has shown herself to be gutless - that's not what you want from the leader of your country at the best of times, even less so with Brexit to negotiate.

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:00 - May 28 with 2698 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:35 - May 28 by Dolly2.0

If JC doesn't turn up will that also be an example of him not being up to it?

Iron Lion Zion

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:00 - May 28 with 2704 viewsSteve_M

The Tories seem to have assumed that just attacking Corbyn would be enough; instead people have seemingly factored in his failings into their analysis. Although that his his failings as he would like to present them; he has been incredibly disingenuous about his IRA links and support for UN-mandated military action this week.

This could still result in the worst of all worlds: May with a large majority and Corbyn still leading the Labour party. If May has played such a bad hand against Corbyn this bodes far less well for the EU negotiations where we have a far worse hand.

What happens if May gets a small a majority though? Who the hell is there with any standing to replace her? Gove and Johnson blew their chance in the Summer, Osborne might have been an option at one time. Is there anyone else of any stature left? Hammond? But the Tory right hate him.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:28 - May 28 with 2670 viewsDolly2.0

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:00 - May 28 by GlasgowBlue

If JC doesn't turn up will that also be an example of him not being up to it?

No. JC would definitely be there if May was. His only reason for thinking it's not worth it is because of May's refusal.

But as I've said, I hope he does do it anyway.

I know you're not a big May fan - you must be embarrassed for your party that the PM is running scared of a public debate in the run up to an election? Or at least acknowledge that her no-show looks bad and will lose her votes because of it?

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:36 - May 28 with 2651 viewsGromheort

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:51 - May 28 by Dolly2.0

I agree he'd need to perform well. I think he does, generally, so I see no reason why he wouldn't.

Yes Farron and the SNP would attack him, but EVERYONE would lay into May for not even showing up IMO. She's already come off the worst before the debate has even started.

Corbyn just turning up would win extra votes IMO. May has shown herself to be gutless - that's not what you want from the leader of your country at the best of times, even less so with Brexit to negotiate.

Its Tory game playing. Spend all efforts on media manipulation (free via their buddy press; expensively through unregulated social media) and then leave Corbyn to fight against the squabbling minor parties.

There's no win for Labour in that. Best to lead, not to play their games
I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:37 - May 28 with 2645 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 17:16 - May 28 by jas0999

Completely agree. I really want to see the PM turn up to these debates. Her refusal is worrying. Surely the PM has to debate at high level meetings?

Equally though, just because May isn't going to take part doesn't mean it's a good excuse for Corbyn not to. On the contrary makes him look bad to. In my opinion. No reason not to. He could use it to a significant advantage. Odd.

I think you'll find it's civil servants doing the hard hours....May, or whoever, will turn up for a photo and dinner when it's all decided as far as Brexit goes. So at the end of the day how strong or stable she isn't is irrelevant.
What is great though is, that having tried to spin this yarn, she has been so comprehensively found out !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:40 - May 28 with 2623 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:28 - May 28 by Dolly2.0

No. JC would definitely be there if May was. His only reason for thinking it's not worth it is because of May's refusal.

But as I've said, I hope he does do it anyway.

I know you're not a big May fan - you must be embarrassed for your party that the PM is running scared of a public debate in the run up to an election? Or at least acknowledge that her no-show looks bad and will lose her votes because of it?

Milband went ahead without Cameron attending last time. What is to stop JC?

And no I'm not embarrassed. I wasn't embarrassed when Cameron didn't take part in 2015. I think they are a waste of time. It's X Factor for ugly people.

It didn't cost Cameron any votes last time and I don't think it will cost May votes this time.

Iron Lion Zion

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:41 - May 28 with 2624 viewsjas0999

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:37 - May 28 by BanksterDebtSlave

I think you'll find it's civil servants doing the hard hours....May, or whoever, will turn up for a photo and dinner when it's all decided as far as Brexit goes. So at the end of the day how strong or stable she isn't is irrelevant.
What is great though is, that having tried to spin this yarn, she has been so comprehensively found out !

I'm a floating voter as I've said many times before. I still won't be voting for Corbyns Labour candidate. But equally, I'm not now convinced I'll vote for Mays Tory candidate either. I would tend to agree with your assessment of her.
I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:47 - May 28 with 2600 viewsnoggin

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:41 - May 28 by jas0999

I'm a floating voter as I've said many times before. I still won't be voting for Corbyns Labour candidate. But equally, I'm not now convinced I'll vote for Mays Tory candidate either. I would tend to agree with your assessment of her.

Benters, Taxi and the others are voting Conservative. I think that tells a story of it's own.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:48 - May 28 with 2595 viewsDolly2.0

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:40 - May 28 by GlasgowBlue

Milband went ahead without Cameron attending last time. What is to stop JC?

And no I'm not embarrassed. I wasn't embarrassed when Cameron didn't take part in 2015. I think they are a waste of time. It's X Factor for ugly people.

It didn't cost Cameron any votes last time and I don't think it will cost May votes this time.

How can you possibly know it didn't cost Cameron any votes?

A proper debate is not a waste of time when you compare it to the alternative (being spoonfed by our hugely biased right wing press).

As I've said before, I don't think you want democracy. I think you just want to win. And this undermines everything political you post. It's all about the win.

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:54 - May 28 with 2573 viewsHARRY10

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:00 - May 28 by Steve_M

The Tories seem to have assumed that just attacking Corbyn would be enough; instead people have seemingly factored in his failings into their analysis. Although that his his failings as he would like to present them; he has been incredibly disingenuous about his IRA links and support for UN-mandated military action this week.

This could still result in the worst of all worlds: May with a large majority and Corbyn still leading the Labour party. If May has played such a bad hand against Corbyn this bodes far less well for the EU negotiations where we have a far worse hand.

What happens if May gets a small a majority though? Who the hell is there with any standing to replace her? Gove and Johnson blew their chance in the Summer, Osborne might have been an option at one time. Is there anyone else of any stature left? Hammond? But the Tory right hate him.

And therein lies the problem.

Cameron thought he had driven a stake through the heart of the right wing nutjobs but hadn't. Many had simply slipped away to snip from the side lines of ukip. They have been heading back in their droves and that why this election has been called, as they could cause serious trouble to a government with a small majority..

Without a substantial majority within her own party, she will not be able to go through the pretence of wanting to leave the EU. Negotiations will be slipped out on an almost daily basis, giving the nutjobs points to rally around on a similar timescale.

Those who were around in the early 70's may remember Ted Heath calling an election on the basis of who rules the country. The electorate said 'not you matey' and booted him out.

May has tried to fashion this election into a question of who is best to deal with brexit. It has not worked, and the lack of preperation has been exposed badly. Policies have not been costed or even thought through. Absurd stuff like grammar schools and fox hunting have been needlessly included. And very emotive stuff like elderly health care and school meals have been an absolute disaster.

So anything but a healthy Parliamentary majority will be seen as a loss, and the signal for the nutjobs to have another go at taking ontrol,.

Much fun ahead, methinks.
I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:57 - May 28 with 2560 viewsGlasgowBlue

I'm assuming Theresa is trying to lose the election? on 18:54 - May 28 by HARRY10

And therein lies the problem.

Cameron thought he had driven a stake through the heart of the right wing nutjobs but hadn't. Many had simply slipped away to snip from the side lines of ukip. They have been heading back in their droves and that why this election has been called, as they could cause serious trouble to a government with a small majority..

Without a substantial majority within her own party, she will not be able to go through the pretence of wanting to leave the EU. Negotiations will be slipped out on an almost daily basis, giving the nutjobs points to rally around on a similar timescale.

Those who were around in the early 70's may remember Ted Heath calling an election on the basis of who rules the country. The electorate said 'not you matey' and booted him out.

May has tried to fashion this election into a question of who is best to deal with brexit. It has not worked, and the lack of preperation has been exposed badly. Policies have not been costed or even thought through. Absurd stuff like grammar schools and fox hunting have been needlessly included. And very emotive stuff like elderly health care and school meals have been an absolute disaster.

So anything but a healthy Parliamentary majority will be seen as a loss, and the signal for the nutjobs to have another go at taking ontrol,.

Much fun ahead, methinks.

Whereas the nut jobs have already taken control of the Labour party.

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024