Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace 10:34 - May 29 with 4563 viewsmos

ISIS reason their killings and terrorism with quotes from the Islamic book - Qur'an.

"Kill the idolaters wherever you find them, and capture them, and blockade them, and watch for them at every lookout...” (Quran 9:5).

I needed an example, this quote would be used by ISIS members who try and justify war. Now, before anyone goes crazy. This quote is out of context, and does have a backstory which reveals that the Quran does not include that killing of non-believers is an accepted thing. This quote was made at the time where the Islamic faith was attacked by Meccans, something like that.

But, at the same time, there are quotes to suggest peace.

"the taking of one innocent life is like taking all of Mankind... and the saving of one life is like saving all of Mankind" - Holy Qur'an, 5:33.

Explaining killing is wrong, and peace is the path you should take as a Muslim.

I believe that most of the quotes that imply violence are out of context, and don't apply. The book wouldn't be made if it had 2 completely opposite points of view which disagreed with eachother.

What do you think? I think that the quotes that the terrorists use are mainly out of context, therefore cannot be justified, but I haven't read the whole Qur'an so I can't say.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:53 - May 29 with 2009 viewsmanchego

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:35 - May 29 by Pendejo

The individuals may profess a link, but they are but a minuscule % of the worldwide diaspora. I'm sure someone posted a link to an article pointing out that the extremists are hate filled rather than principled.

It's not miniscule.
An estimation of the percentage of Muslims with extreme views is from 25 to 35 percent.
Thats about 250m to 300m people.

quote/
Like any religious group, the religious beliefs and practices of Muslims vary depending on many factors, including where in the world they live. But Muslims around the world are almost universally united by a belief in one God and the Prophet Muhammad, and the practice of certain religious rituals, such as fasting during Ramadan, is widespread.

In other areas, however, there is less unity. For instance, a Pew Research Center survey of Muslims in 39 countries asked Muslims whether they want sharia law, a legal code based on the Quran and other Islamic scripture, to be the official law of the land in their country. Responses on this question vary widely. Nearly all Muslims in Afghanistan (99%) and most in Iraq (91%) and Pakistan (84%) support sharia law as official law. But in some other countries, especially in Eastern Europe and Central Asia — including Turkey (12%), Kazakhstan (10%) and Azerbaijan (8%) — relatively few favor the implementation of sharia law.
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:53 - May 29 with 2013 viewsRegencyBlue

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:35 - May 29 by Pendejo

The individuals may profess a link, but they are but a minuscule % of the worldwide diaspora. I'm sure someone posted a link to an article pointing out that the extremists are hate filled rather than principled.

I was responding to this rather wide ranging statement - "Do you really think the killings and attacks we see in the UK specifically are anything to do with Islam?"

Well, yes I do actually because the people undertaking these acts are doing so in the name of Islam. OK its a small percentage and probably based on some warped aspect of the religion but to pretend there is no connection at all isn't going to help.
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:54 - May 29 with 2002 viewsmos

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:52 - May 29 by noggin

It was me that said Robinson would have all muslims deported. I never said, he actually said it, but we all know it's what he would like. This statement seems quite clear to me.
“I’m not far-right… I’m just opposed to Islam. I believe it’s backward and it’s fascist,” he says, “The current refugee crisis is nothing to do with refugees. It’s a Muslim invasion of Europe.”

Robinson has an opinion, that's fine.

But to say it's a Muslim invasion of Europe is very ignorant.

He is a kn0b.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:59 - May 29 with 1983 viewsmanchego

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:08 - May 29 by unbelievablue

It's worth noting that the Quran was originally a series of verbal 'revelations' by the prophet Muhammad over 1500 years ago, so any criticism or analysis of it in order to either defend or condemn an entire faith in the context of a terror attack in Manchester in 2017 is probably quite disingenuous.

Word Salad.

The quran was revealed verbally but so what. That's the foundation of their faith.
Criticism and analysis of it is essential - it's the 'perfect word of God'.

The religion stands or falls by what the quran says whatever the date is.
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 12:02 - May 29 with 1980 viewsunbelievablue

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:59 - May 29 by manchego

Word Salad.

The quran was revealed verbally but so what. That's the foundation of their faith.

You're an idiot,

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 12:09 - May 29 with 1958 viewsMullet

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:59 - May 29 by manchego

Word Salad.

Surely religions stand and fall by the actions of their followers? Especially when in the case of Islam translations are so vehemently discouraged?

I don't see what unbelievable has said which is incorrect here. You're talking as if all followers are literalists which is absurd and surely not what you mean?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 12:14 - May 29 with 1947 viewsjeera

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:53 - May 29 by manchego

It's not miniscule.
An estimation of the percentage of Muslims with extreme views is from 25 to 35 percent.
Thats about 250m to 300m people.

quote/
Like any religious group, the religious beliefs and practices of Muslims vary depending on many factors, including where in the world they live. But Muslims around the world are almost universally united by a belief in one God and the Prophet Muhammad, and the practice of certain religious rituals, such as fasting during Ramadan, is widespread.

In other areas, however, there is less unity. For instance, a Pew Research Center survey of Muslims in 39 countries asked Muslims whether they want sharia law, a legal code based on the Quran and other Islamic scripture, to be the official law of the land in their country. Responses on this question vary widely. Nearly all Muslims in Afghanistan (99%) and most in Iraq (91%) and Pakistan (84%) support sharia law as official law. But in some other countries, especially in Eastern Europe and Central Asia — including Turkey (12%), Kazakhstan (10%) and Azerbaijan (8%) — relatively few favor the implementation of sharia law.

"An estimation of the percentage of Muslims with extreme views is from 25 to 35 percent.
Thats about 250m to 300m people."

Where does that notion come from? That's the 2nd time I've heard that this week.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 12:24 - May 29 with 1924 viewsDarth_Koont

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 12:14 - May 29 by jeera

"An estimation of the percentage of Muslims with extreme views is from 25 to 35 percent.
Thats about 250m to 300m people."

Where does that notion come from? That's the 2nd time I've heard that this week.

What are "extreme views" also? Ultra-conservative, xenophobic/racist or violent views?

And what are the figures for Christians, Sikhs, Hindus, Atheists etc.?

I'd bet 25-30% of Americans want to bomb the Middle East into a parking lot.
[Post edited 29 May 2017 12:25]

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 12:31 - May 29 with 1909 viewsmanchego

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 12:02 - May 29 by unbelievablue

You're an idiot,

Classy and erudite response.
I particularly like the comma at the end rather than the usual full stop.
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 23:37 - May 29 with 1812 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting thread. Thanks for posting.

It's very encouraging to see so many good posts* on this topic - TWTD has made me happy today with this thread.

This advert, by the Kuwaiti Telecom company Zain, celebrating Ramadan seems very appropriate at present:

For an explanation of what the ad is about see here:
https://me.popsugar.com/love/Zain-Commercial-2017-Ramadan-43582561

*Thanks to several posters - you know who you are, with special nods to Mullet (for his knowledge on this topic) and Unbelievablue (for his ongoing endeavours to dig a little deeper than most to understand Islam).

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 08:51 - May 30 with 1746 viewschicoazul

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:24 - May 29 by RegencyBlue

Given that the perpetrators themselves say that it is then its a possibility!

They use it as an excuse, it's complete rubbish. None of these killers are devout or even good Moslems. What they ARE in very large part is disaffected ill-educated drug abusing young men drawn from a shady underworld who are taken in by nonsensical rhetoric. People who talk about caliphates and saracens and ISIS are barmy and are looking in completely the wrong direction.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 08:52 - May 30 with 1746 viewschicoazul

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:36 - May 29 by Steve_M

Yes, start to understand the ideology of ISIS and it's clear that they are. There is more than one causal factor here.

Rubbish.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 09:11 - May 30 with 1733 viewscrunchie1978

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 11:36 - May 29 by Mullet

That says "According to Sunni scriptural Hadith sources, Aisha was six or seven years old when she was married to Muhammad with the marriage not being consummated until she had reached puberty at the age of nine or ten years old."

So not a Qu'ranic quote, but a Hadith.

Also given the oral tradition of Hadiths, translation and interpretation of "consummation" and the examples of Medieval European monarchs who "married" children for political expediency, your point looks almost unrecognisable.

You might be right, but the evidence doesn't back you up without you taking out, remoulding and fixing various pieces of information a quick google doesn't cover.

your forgetting elvis didnt he marry a child.
The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:03 - May 30 with 1698 viewsRyorry

The Qur'an teachings of Violence & Peace on 10:38 - May 29 by unbelievablue

My view is that this is a very dangerous exercise, though hats off for attempting to understand more than most would ever make the effort to do.

I thoroughly recommend this book: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quran-Biography-Books-Shook-World/dp/1843543982/ref=tmm

Maybe more people should at least try to read this - published in 2006, it doesn't yet have a single review on Amazon, which I think is unprecedented - usually there are loads of reviews within weeks of a book being published.

Might suggest it to my bookclub - but that means I have to read it first! 2nd-hand hardback for £0.01p or £6.99 new; £2.99 for Kindle edition.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024