Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hate penalty shoot outs in big games 17:37 - May 29 with 4314 viewsJ2BLUE

They should be used for deciding earlier rounds with a fairer system used for the quarter finals onwards.

I hope there is a screamer from one side because a 49 game season with such a huge prize being decided by penalties is wrong IMO.

Anyone agree?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 18:01 - May 29 with 2076 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 17:52 - May 29 by nshearman1

A stupid stupid lottery funded by Sky - but the right team thankfully have gone up.

Nonsense it makes the league more interesting. If you're that good go and finish in the top 2. Everyone knows the rules in august. I promote more playoff style action
I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 18:01 - May 29 with 2074 viewsCheshire_Tractor

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 17:45 - May 29 by J2BLUE

Another interesting idea. I guess it would be like being 1-0 up. Huddersfield would be throwing everyone forward and Reading defending for their lives with 10-15 mins to go.

Yes but more like just a half goal lead.

A goal for Huddersfield would not have been a equaliser but would have put them ahead.
I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 18:03 - May 29 with 2061 viewsEJP

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 17:38 - May 29 by Herbivore

What fairer system would you propose?

For league deciders how about the top 3 placed teams go up and we scrap the play- offs?
Radical I know...
I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 18:03 - May 29 with 2061 viewsJ2BLUE

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 18:01 - May 29 by Cheshire_Tractor

Yes but more like just a half goal lead.

A goal for Huddersfield would not have been a equaliser but would have put them ahead.

Good point. That's what I meant really. Basically they'd be winning.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 18:17 - May 29 with 2014 viewsGarv

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 17:40 - May 29 by J2BLUE

Not sure. I like the idea of reducing the number of players on each team every 5 mins or so with a golden goal system.

Another better idea is getting the ball on the penalty spot, allowing the keeper and player to move freely with a time limit. I think they used this in America years ago.

I just don't like single kicks deciding something so big.

Comes down to bottle and handling pressure though, which is crucial to being a top/premiership player.

With respect, allowing striker and keeper to move and play one on one is playground stuff, and a golden goal is even more unfair than penalties! Freak/offside goal, scrappy goal awarded from a wrongly awarded corner etc?

Pens best.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 18:24 - May 29 with 2005 viewsRadlett_blue

I dislike penalty shoot-outs, but they are a test of football skill & nerve. However, referees (plus 2 redundant assistants) should be able to see if a goalkeeper stays on his line.
If you can come up with a fairer way of deciding a stalemate, I would love to hear it as I don't think anyone has come up with a better solution.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 18:52 - May 29 with 1984 viewsCheltenham_Blue

They should go park football for this kind of thing. Turn the lights off and play until you cant see the ball anymore. Losers are the ones that moan first and start talking about 'getting in for me tea'

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 19:54 - May 29 with 1956 viewsSwansea_Blue

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 17:54 - May 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

I love penalty shoot outs.

Me too. And it's not as if teams don't have the chance to be positive enough to get a result in 120-130 mins.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 20:00 - May 29 with 1947 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I think 120 minutes is long enough to find a winner. All of your suggestions are just as much of a lottery as penalties IMO.

Poll: Best Football Song

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 20:46 - May 29 with 1921 viewsDolly2.0

I love the drama of penalties.

However, if you want another way to settle it - give it to the team with the most shots on target. Would make for a more exciting game.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 20:54 - May 29 with 1912 viewsClapham_Junction

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 17:40 - May 29 by taximan

play until either team score ?

don't ar$e around with removing players etc, just play golden goal, eventually a goal will come

The championship decider in the Southern League in 1921 was played under this system and it was only in the 80th(!) minute of extra time that the winner was scored.

The players must have been somewhat knackered.
I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 21:06 - May 29 with 1894 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 20:54 - May 29 by Clapham_Junction

The championship decider in the Southern League in 1921 was played under this system and it was only in the 80th(!) minute of extra time that the winner was scored.

The players must have been somewhat knackered.

On the other hand, didn't Doncaster take part in a penalty shoot out a few years ago that finished something like 37-36?

Poll: Best Football Song

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 21:40 - May 29 with 1873 viewsredacted

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 17:51 - May 29 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I think in the Hockey playoffs or it might be regular season, I can't remember they make it 3 on 3 instead of 5 on 5 to increase the chances of a sudden death winning goal.

In (ice) hockey it depends on the country. In the NHL (Canada / USA) during th3e regular season they play 5 mins OT with 2 players fewer and they play with a long change. In the playoffs they play till there is a goal, changing ends as per normal.

The idea of playoffs for promotion is something I don't like.
on 22:44 - May 29 with 1841 views_

I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 00:16 - May 30 with 1814 viewscoolcat

on 22:44 - May 29 by _

I agree with you, for the same reason. Huddersfield were worthy winners.
I hate penalty shoot outs in big games on 06:54 - May 30 with 1764 viewspoppiesman

How about having an actual replay?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024