Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why I'm not voting Labour 22:27 - May 29 with 36434 viewsJKITFC1

- Manifesto figures don't add up; unless the re-nationalization of rail, water etc. is going to be costless?
- As a payer of corporation tax, I'd much rather pay the Conservative proposed 17% rate to Labour's 26%, I believe in a time of economic uncertainty, it's important to help retain foreign businesses by reducing costs, rather than disincentivise them to stay in the UK.
- Corbyn will take an EU deal at any cost.
- Corbyn's IRA sympathies, as well as calling the death of Bin Laden a 'tragedy'.

Furthermore, Corbyn doesn't have the bottle to pull the trigger on terrorism. (below)

EDIT:

- McDonnell doesn't know bonds are debt instruments.
"We won't borrow, we will issue bonds."

- Two years ago Labour's shadow chancellor called for MI5 to be disbanded. Now Corbyn expects us to believe there will more money for them.

[Post edited 29 May 2017 22:58]
Why I'm not voting Labour on 22:58 - May 29 with 1985 viewsSuperfrans

Why I'm not voting Labour on 22:50 - May 29 by JKITFC1

I don't see a problem with which way people are voting, on the basis they have an articulate argument behind it. It's well-known that this board has a lefty leaning, which is confirmed by all hostility received by similar posts/ right sympathetic equivalents.

Hostility? You mean disagreeing with your view? That's not hostility, that's debate.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:00 - May 29 with 1977 viewsJKITFC1

Why I'm not voting Labour on 22:56 - May 29 by Superfrans

You won't have to lay people off. As they have said, concessions would be made for small businesses.

But, many many people on low wages (the current levels of living wage) have to claim benefits to still enable themselves to live. Why should the state foot the bill for companies who are only making profits by paying their workers wages they can't survive on?

Not taking any 'concessions' for granted, especially from a man that thinks NATO is a danger to world peace.

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:01 - May 29 with 1977 viewsJKITFC1

Why I'm not voting Labour on 22:31 - May 29 by HARRY10

oh dear

you don't sound too bright

the tragedy of Bin Ladens death was that he should have been put on trial - and the question it begats is who didn't want him on trial, and why ?

but I should imagine all that is a bit too complex for you

Forget Corbyn's record not just with the IRA, but with Milosevic, Hamas & Iran too. Instead, keep your mind so open your brains fall out.
Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:01 - May 29 with 1975 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why I'm not voting Labour on 22:43 - May 29 by JKITFC1

Definitely not thinking about the livelihoods of those that will lose their jobs in proposed highest post-war tax conditions. Would you like to come down to my office and lay my employees off that can't be kept on due to unsustainable cost increases for me?

Maybe you're taking too much out of your business ? If you could replace them all with machines, would you ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

on 23:03 - May 29 with 1963 views_

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:01 - May 29 by JKITFC1

Forget Corbyn's record not just with the IRA, but with Milosevic, Hamas & Iran too. Instead, keep your mind so open your brains fall out.

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:07 - May 29 with 1947 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why I'm not voting Labour on 22:47 - May 29 by JKITFC1

- I'm not going to vote for a Government that believes that creating MORE debt through issuing bonds is a sufficient way to fund its unrealistic policies.

So, if you own a property (your first if more than one)did you take out a mortgage or were you one of the very few that pay up front with cash? Have the costs of this investment been covered since by its current value ? Not the best analogy but it will do !

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:09 - May 29 with 1939 viewsJETPower

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:01 - May 29 by JKITFC1

Didn't know Nick Cohen was a Town fan. Hi Nick!
Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:11 - May 29 with 1931 viewsjpring89

Why I'm not voting Labour on 22:52 - May 29 by JKITFC1

I don't receive tax credits.

All is too dependent on the nature of the business and its origins.

Oooooo get you

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Login to get fewer ads

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:13 - May 29 with 1926 viewsMJallday

everyones reasons are their own

my reasons are :

* i believe labour will destroy the economy
- Their predecessors did (yes, we still remember "the note")
- they are ill equipped to handle brexit negotiations
- the economy needs stability - labour will not offer that
- they intend to tax individuals who they deem as "high earners" - but want people to work hard - this is contradictory
- their policys will drive away companies who will then take low paid jobs away
- they intend to get rid of zero hour contracts - which means employers will inevitably
do they same job with less people = higher unemployment

* i do not agree with their policy on trident

- the nuclear (trident) industry may cost 50bn - but it employs several hundred thousand people. its also a deterrent. in a world of increasing uncertainy it is better to have it - BUT
- corbyn has shown that he wont use it. he is uncredible as a force of a nuclear power.

* corbyn is a pensioner now. he will be 73 by the time of the next general election. do you think a 68 year old will be or should be running round the country? what about a 73 year old?

* i don't agree with the labour philosophy on immigration, green issues, or transport

i just cant vote for the party, but i cant vote for the man either.

[Post edited 29 May 2017 23:17]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:17 - May 29 with 1896 viewsSuperfrans

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:00 - May 29 by JKITFC1

Not taking any 'concessions' for granted, especially from a man that thinks NATO is a danger to world peace.

Bit like May and her promise of a cap on the dementia tax? Why should anyone trust anything she says?

on 23:22 - May 29 with 1873 views_

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:13 - May 29 by MJallday

my reasons are :

- they intend to tax individuals who they deem as "high earners" - but want people to work hard - this is contradictory
- they intend to get rid of zero hour contracts - which means employers will inevitably

- the nuclear (trident) industry may cost 50bn - but it employs several hundred thousand people. its also a deterrent. in a world of increasing uncertainy it is better to have it - BUT
- corbyn has shown that he wont use it. he is uncredible as a force of a nuclear power.

* corbyn is a pensioner now. he will be 73 by the time of the next general election. do you think a 68 year old will be or should be running round the country? what about a 73 year old?

* i don't agree with the labour philosophy on immigration, green issues, or transport

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:28 - May 29 with 1861 viewsHARRY10

my reasons are :

that is priceless

stupidity at a level you thought you wouldn't see again, as we have

"i believe labour will destroy the economy
- Their predecessors did (yes, we still remember "the note") "

so how come they crashed all the other economies around the world at exactly the same time ?

"- they are ill equipped to handle brexit negotiations "

Sir Keir Starmer, KCB, QC He was the Director of Public Prosecutions and the Head of the Crown Prosecution Service from 2008 to 2013 or Boris Johnson

" they intend to get rid of zero hour contracts - which means employers will inevitably do they same job with less people = higher unemployment

so it is better to have irregular low paid jobs that are subsidised by the rest of us so that non UK multi nationals can make money from the UK taxpayers ?

"do you think a 68 year old will be or should be running round the country? "

oh dear
Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:30 - May 29 with 1857 viewsSuperfrans

my reasons are :

Blimey. Where to start...

The last Labour govt oversaw the biggest economic boom in living memory until the international banking crisis.

May will be a busted flush after the election - any credibility she had will have disappeared following this dismal election campaign (acknowledged as much even by her parties own grandees). Plus she doesn't understand the concept of negotiation. I'd fancy the chances of Corbyn and McDonnell in negotiations much more then May, who seems more like a rabbit in the headlights as every day passes.

Nonsense. They're proposing to invest in infrastructure and social care by adding a penny to the pound on high earners. And, high earners aren't the only people who work hard. So do low earners, often much harder.

Brexit is already doing that.

No they won't, they'll simply have to respect the basic rights of workers.

You mean, to keep it? 🤔

Nonsense. He's simply said he wouldn't jump to use nuclear force without exhausting all other options. Surely, thats the most logical, sustainable approach??

Ha. This is a new one. The slander really is getting desperate now...

* i don't agree with the labour philosophy on immigration, green issues, or transport.
Fair enough. Even though he said tonight immigration would be reduced?

on 23:30 - May 29 with 1850 views_

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:28 - May 29 by HARRY10

that is priceless

so how come they crashed all the other economies around the world at exactly the same time ?

Sir Keir Starmer, KCB, QC He was the Director of Public Prosecutions and the Head of the Crown Prosecution Service from 2008 to 2013 or Boris Johnson

" they intend to get rid of zero hour contracts - which means employers will inevitably do they same job with less people = higher unemployment

so it is better to have irregular low paid jobs that are subsidised by the rest of us so that non UK multi nationals can make money from the UK taxpayers ?

oh dear

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:33 - May 29 with 1842 viewsGromheort

my reasons are :

Some minor issues with the Trident stuff:

(1) You've underestimated the sunk costs. Going to be 200 billion plus
(2) The arms industry is not a net employment creator. It is notoriously inefficient and, given crowding out effects as we waste limited scientist and engineer resources, it actually costs jobs.
(3) It is not a deterrent. That requires mutually assured destruction to operate. In game theory that needs two clear players. We don't have that here, indeed our nuclear weapons will be subservient to US decision making.
Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:37 - May 29 with 1829 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

my reasons are :

The profligate actions of the financial services sector crashed the economy.....THE END !!

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:39 - May 29 with 1822 viewsElderGrizzly

on 23:22 - May 29 by _

On taxation, the IFS have said Labour's plans won't work if they just target the rich and corporations and even then will give us the highest taxed country since the second world war.

They've also said the Tories plans are not workable at present.

So not much hope really on that one!
[Post edited 29 May 2017 23:41]
on 23:42 - May 29 with 1810 views_

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:39 - May 29 by ElderGrizzly

On taxation, the IFS have said Labour's plans won't work if they just target the rich and corporations and even then will give us the highest taxed country since the second world war.

They've also said the Tories plans are not workable at present.

So not much hope really on that one!
[Post edited 29 May 2017 23:41]

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:43 - May 29 with 1806 viewsElderGrizzly

on 23:30 - May 29 by _

Sadly a few posters can only approach this from an abusive position and threads get derailed

It's the OPs and MJ's personal opinion. That's a valid reason and clearly MJ has done his research while his arse is dropping through the floor
on 23:45 - May 29 with 1799 views_

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:43 - May 29 by ElderGrizzly

Sadly a few posters can only approach this from an abusive position and threads get derailed

It's the OPs and MJ's personal opinion. That's a valid reason and clearly MJ has done his research while his arse is dropping through the floor

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:46 - May 29 with 1793 viewsHARRY10

on 23:30 - May 29 by _

I was not rude, and the comments were addressed to his comments not at him as a person.

I stand by my replies as the points he put up were not even accurate either hence the robust nature of the reply.

But I do take your point and nothing was intended as a attack on the chap personally.
Why I'm not voting Labour on 00:02 - May 30 with 1763 viewsBOjK

I'm told that nationalising won't - technically - increase the debt, as the value of the asset "purchased" appears on the balance sheets.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Why I'm not voting Labour on 00:09 - May 30 with 1741 viewsMJallday

on 23:22 - May 29 by _

Hi libby - i rarely tell people to f**k off :) - I'm always generally happy to debate too.

* you say about labours predessesors having more in common with may than corbyn. i think that's right, however you need to acknowledge that the conservatives over the past 10 or so years a stable economy in austere times .yes its a c**p economy. but actually, given the entire world situation, the UK isn't actually that bad in comparison. i just feel on the economy what we need right now is stability (ie more of the same) - we don't need uncertainty and i believe that a labour government will bring that.

* taking the top % will affect me - so yes there is a slight bias and personal interest there. but actually the whole ethos is wrong. why encourage people to work hard then tax them? - for me i think the "line" is too low at 80k - now if its was 500k... that's different)

* the problems are deeper than the economy. you are right . anti immigration, health, policing, social unrest etc. the country has a lot of issues - these have been brewing for >25 years. they are not going away with either party. I'm not even sure how any of the parties are addressing them either. all i hear is rhetoric and meaningless numbers from all parties

* your point about small business is REALLY interesting. my FIL has recently retired. he was a small businesss owner for 35 years. employed 10 people. he made sure they all had jobs before he shut the doors. i like to think he's a good marque of "small business owner" - the pressures of which are horrific. they are making small businesses so hard to suceeed - people simple don't want to do it - the latest one is "the workplace pension" - great idea in principle - in practice, it destroys any profitability for small businesses.
sure there will always be success stories -but its not easy to run a business these days, its certainly not that attractive.

* slave labour and zero hour contracts are different. last time i looked, zero hour contracts still have to be paid at least minimum wage. i know 2 zero contract employers - they both usually struggle to fill the hours with the people. i don't disagree about the slave labour element - its disgusting, but there is a demand there.

the more interesting thing is IR35... have you looked into that? that's going to f**k up the private sector more than ever next year. its screwing the public sector now...

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Why I'm not voting Labour on 00:17 - May 30 with 1718 viewsMJallday

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:43 - May 29 by ElderGrizzly

that made me laugh much more than it should :)

ill never attack anyone for their beliefs. I don't care if Corbyn is in bed with the IRA or May flys out of her window at night and bites people in the neck.. how people vote is down to them. The only think I'm genuinely annoyed about is people believing the hype on social media - you've all seen it - the endless "memes" , supposed facts and figures.

its not that hard to go and look at the manifestos and make up your own mind . i did.
i have to say, i was really impressed with the green party. i love their education policy - then they f**ked me off with their foreign policy to the point it would become an issue.

All i ask anyone reading is whichever way you vote, just vote. that's your democratic right and its a privilege.

Ask yourself this - " Did our grandfathers chip shops get bombed for nothing?"

Why I'm not voting Labour on 00:35 - May 30 with 1694 viewsMJallday

Why I'm not voting Labour on 23:28 - May 29 by HARRY10

that is priceless

oh dear

your response doesn't really deserve a reply. but i felt i should

* The banking crisis in 2008 was only PART of the issue - it was not the whole issue. in fact there were several articles at the time explaining how labour overspending caused it. milliband always denied it - however he also acknowledged labour never stopped it.

* Keir Starmer is nothing to do with current brexit negotiations. He was the DPP previously. (a supposedly politically neutral position btw) and now hes the shadow sec for state. he's not in a position to currently negotiate.

* Boris is also NOTHING to do with brexit negotiations. they are handled by david davies and tim barrow. they've intentially kept boris away - i undertstand on account of being a bit of a d1ck.

* your assumption on low paid jobs being subsidised by the rest of us is flawed . why would this happen? tell me why would the british taxpayer subsidise warehouse workers in a factory in wigan? subsidisation doesn't work like that...

* age is a factor - explain why it isn't? you must have a relative who is 68-73. you think they can do 80-90 hour weeks? running around the country? leading from the front?
its not a job for someone who should be enjoying retirement, frankly.

[Post edited 30 May 2017 0:38]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024