Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IS attack in Paris last night. 03:38 - Apr 21 with 3340 viewsBenters

We live in frightening times.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

IS attack in Paris last night. on 05:56 - Apr 21 with 2003 viewsBenters

Sadly this is now happening on a near weekly basis .

Gentlybentley

IS attack in Paris last night. on 06:56 - Apr 21 with 1954 viewstortoise

IS attack in Paris last night. on 05:56 - Apr 21 by Benters

Sadly this is now happening on a near weekly basis .

30 people killed in the U.K. In road accidents in the last week.

Frightening times.

Sadly this is happening on a weekly basis now.
IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:01 - Apr 21 with 1937 viewsnoggin

IS attack in Paris last night. on 06:56 - Apr 21 by tortoise

Frightening times.

3 teenagers stabbed to death, in London, in the space of 24 hours. Frightening times.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:04 - Apr 21 with 1930 viewsBenters

Frightening times.

Hello ive never noticed you before !

Sadly accidents will happen.

I dont call a terrorist act a accident though ,you may do in your perfect world but i dont in mine.

Right i have to load my pickup i have work to do.

Enjoy your day.

Gentlybentley

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:06 - Apr 21 with 1917 viewsHerbivore

In the U.S. there are 21 people killed every year by toddlers with guns. Over 60 people a year are killed by lawnmowers. Frightening times.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:13 - Apr 21 with 1912 viewsfactual_blue

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:01 - Apr 21 by noggin

3 teenagers stabbed to death, in London, in the space of 24 hours. Frightening times.

Fifty-eight people have died in England from terrorism since the year 2000: fifty-two in the 7/7 attack, five at Westminster recently, and Lee Rigby.

None of these were in Great Bentley.

The 1970s and 1980s were far more dangerous in terms of terrorist outrages, but mainly in N Ireland and Scotland.

That people believed the outright lies and xenophobia of the kippers and the assorted other right-wing nutters voer brexit is rather more frightening. Or possibly just downright depressing.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:15 - Apr 21 with 1900 viewstortoise

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:04 - Apr 21 by Benters

Hello ive never noticed you before !

Sadly accidents will happen.

I dont call a terrorist act a accident though ,you may do in your perfect world but i dont in mine.

Right i have to load my pickup i have work to do.

Enjoy your day.

Not sure why that makes it more frightening.... if my children walked to school I know what I'd be more worried about.

I was merely making the point that there are a lot of things to be concerned about, but in the whole scheme of things terrorism is quite a long way down the list.

Enjoy your day..... oh and hello!
IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:21 - Apr 21 with 1872 viewsStokieBlue

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:06 - Apr 21 by Herbivore

In the U.S. there are 21 people killed every year by toddlers with guns. Over 60 people a year are killed by lawnmowers. Frightening times.

There is a difference between accidents and deliberate and organised killings of innocent people. One is a horrible yet accidental occurrence, the other is a deliberate act designed to have knock on implications on the way people view their lives and surroundings.

You'll like this website:

http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Benters is totally wrong on his anti-islamic crusade but it's also wrong to pick some other death related fact and infer there is no issue to be tackled.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:25 - Apr 21 with 1851 viewsfactual_blue

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:15 - Apr 21 by tortoise

Not sure why that makes it more frightening.... if my children walked to school I know what I'd be more worried about.

I was merely making the point that there are a lot of things to be concerned about, but in the whole scheme of things terrorism is quite a long way down the list.

Enjoy your day..... oh and hello!

It's a long way for children to walk across Great Bentley village green, and the entire parish is a have for gangsters and contract killers.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:27 - Apr 21 with 1837 viewsHerbivore

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:21 - Apr 21 by StokieBlue

There is a difference between accidents and deliberate and organised killings of innocent people. One is a horrible yet accidental occurrence, the other is a deliberate act designed to have knock on implications on the way people view their lives and surroundings.

Benters is totally wrong on his anti-islamic crusade but it's also wrong to pick some other death related fact and infer there is no issue to be tackled.

SB

Okay, how about this one instead. More than a hundred women every year are killed by their partner/husband in domestic violence related incidents. That's more people each year in the UK killed deliberately by their partner than have been killed by terrorists in the last 15 years. I've yet to see Benters post a thread decrying abusive partners, who are statistically far more likely to cause deaths deliberately in this country than Islamists.

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:28 - Apr 21 with 1829 viewstaximan

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:27 - Apr 21 by Herbivore

Okay, how about this one instead. More than a hundred women every year are killed by their partner/husband in domestic violence related incidents. That's more people each year in the UK killed deliberately by their partner than have been killed by terrorists in the last 15 years. I've yet to see Benters post a thread decrying abusive partners, who are statistically far more likely to cause deaths deliberately in this country than Islamists.

yay, terrorists are ok

there isn't many of them about
IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:29 - Apr 21 with 1823 viewsStokieBlue

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:27 - Apr 21 by Herbivore

A truly horrible statistic but once again, not one which is designed to affect anyone's lives but the two people involved. There is a difference.

Doesn't mean domestic violence shouldn't be tackled in every way possible.

I've said Benters is totally wrong in my initial post, I just think the straight comparison of these facts is also wrong.

SB

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:35 - Apr 21 with 1798 viewsnoggin

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:29 - Apr 21 by StokieBlue

A truly horrible statistic but once again, not one which is designed to affect anyone's lives but the two people involved. There is a difference.

I've said Benters is totally wrong in my initial post, I just think the straight comparison of these facts is also wrong.

SB

I very much doubt that benters worries about being affected by terrorism in his day to day life, I know I don't. He starts these threads for his own anti Islam agenda.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:44 - Apr 21 with 1773 viewsmonytowbray

In other news it turns out the BD bus attack was by a spectator with shares in the club.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39664212

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:44 - Apr 21 with 1766 viewsHerbivore

SB

You may be right about different intent, although in this particular instance the gunman targeted police officers specifically it seems and not the general public (much as Lee Rigby's killers targeted a soldier and ignored the numerous regular civilians they could've attacked had they so wished). I guess part of what I question is whether people like Benters would be so het up about terrorists if the press coverage was different. Any terror attack gets wall to wall coverage for days and days and offers an inflated sense of the actual threat to individuals as a result. What if the press coverage was less and differed in tone? What if, conversely, the press gave 4 days of sensational coverage to every death from a domestic violence incident? How would they then be perceived? The point remains that regardless of intent you are far, far more likely to be killed by your partner than by a terrorist. So why aren't we more scared of our partners? Maybe we would be if the press reported terror incidents as they currently do DV incidents (i.e. not at all) and vice versa, maybe we might even see a reduction in such terror related incidents as their coverage and therefore impact is reduced.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2017 7:47]

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:47 - Apr 21 with 1752 viewshomer_123

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:21 - Apr 21 by StokieBlue

SB

And yet, perversely, Governments across the world spend more money and invest more resources trying to stop terrorism, which is incredibly difficult and almost futile (that's not to say it isn't worth the effort). It's almost impossible to stop a lone gunman or bomber - again, not to say one shouldn't try.

Yet, elements that are within the control of Government and are far more easier to rectify and resolve and therefore dramatically reduce the amount of deaths, are ignored. For example, gun control, road deaths and the other examples given here.

Benters post (whether meant that way or not) illustrates exactly why Governments spend so heavily on trying to resolve terrorism.

Of course, our continuing intervention in geo-politically unstable areas has direct consequences and will, whether we like it or not, negate a lot of the anti-terrorism work we do. For instance, the week of the Westminster attack, allied bombers (which includes ourselves) bomber a school in Syria killing around 30 to 40 families....actions have consequences.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:47 - Apr 21 with 1748 viewstortoise

SB

I do actually agree with you. A straight comparison is not correct. An attack of the sort of 7/7 really makes you question yourself and yes does scare you. However the fact of the matter is that they are actually very rare.

Posts like the OP made simply give people the impression that they are in constant danger from a menace that, although is not non-existent, is not really much of a threat in comparison to other risks.

People like Benters are really doing a lot of the terrorists work for them.
on 07:48 - Apr 21 with 1744 views_

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:28 - Apr 21 by taximan

yay, terrorists are ok

there isn't many of them about

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:49 - Apr 21 with 1740 viewsSWGF

How many terrorist attacks were there in the 70s and 80s, before rolling 24hr news and instant social media coverage?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:50 - Apr 21 with 1735 viewsStokieBlue

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:44 - Apr 21 by Herbivore

You may be right about different intent, although in this particular instance the gunman targeted police officers specifically it seems and not the general public (much as Lee Rigby's killers targeted a soldier and ignored the numerous regular civilians they could've attacked had they so wished). I guess part of what I question is whether people like Benters would be so het up about terrorists if the press coverage was different. Any terror attack gets wall to wall coverage for days and days and offers an inflated sense of the actual threat to individuals as a result. What if the press coverage was less and differed in tone? What if, conversely, the press gave 4 days of sensational coverage to every death from a domestic violence incident? How would they then be perceived? The point remains that regardless of intent you are far, far more likely to be killed by your partner than by a terrorist. So why aren't we more scared of our partners? Maybe we would be if the press reported terror incidents as they currently do DV incidents (i.e. not at all) and vice versa, maybe we might even see a reduction in such terror related incidents as their coverage and therefore impact is reduced.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2017 7:47]

The press point is very valid indeed.

I think psychologically it's easier to be scared of someone or something you don't know that the partner you (hopefully) trust implicitly.

Certainly could be an argument that terrorism would be quite ineffectual if there was no stage on which it was viewed and analysed.

SB

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:50 - Apr 21 with 1733 viewshomer_123

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:49 - Apr 21 by SWGF

How many terrorist attacks were there in the 70s and 80s, before rolling 24hr news and instant social media coverage?

In Great Bentley?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

IS attack in Paris last night. on 08:02 - Apr 21 with 1689 viewsDolly2.0

IS attack in Paris last night. on 07:35 - Apr 21 by noggin

I very much doubt that benters worries about being affected by terrorism in his day to day life, I know I don't. He starts these threads for his own anti Islam agenda.

Indeed. I don't worry about it in my day to day life and I work in central London, so I sure as hell don't think Benters really worries about it when he's trimming ladies' bushes in Great Bentley.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

IS attack in Paris last night. on 08:04 - Apr 21 with 1675 viewsMJallday

IS attack in Paris last night. on 08:02 - Apr 21 by Dolly2.0

Indeed. I don't worry about it in my day to day life and I work in central London, so I sure as hell don't think Benters really worries about it when he's trimming ladies' bushes in Great Bentley.

Do you think they mind whilst he does that?

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

IS attack in Paris last night. on 08:04 - Apr 21 with 1674 viewstaximan

on 07:48 - Apr 21 by _

"save the nhs"

how lovely
IS attack in Paris last night. on 08:07 - Apr 21 with 1657 viewsGlasgowBlue

Frightening times.

Yeah. The key word there being accident.

Only an idiot would equate an "accident" with somebody deliberaly driving a car into a crowd, lumping somebody full of bullets or slicing somebdiy's head off in the middle of a public street.

An accident is the result of a miennrtart loose in concentration or a tyre blow out. A terror attack is the result of an evil scumbag making a calculated decision.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024