Falkirk Defender Targeted Thursday, 26th Jan 2012 08:30
Falkirk central defender Murray Wallace is understood to be one of the five players the Blues have targeted with a bid for the highly-rated 19-year-old believed to have been turned down. Brighton have had an offer of £300,000 accepted, according to national newspaper reports this morning, with Town, Swansea, Charlton, Norwich, Newcastle and Huddersfield all said to have watched the former Rangers trainee in action over the Christmas period.
The central defender made his Bairns debut in August three years after joining them after his release from Ibrox and has impressed in his 21 senior starts and two sub appearances, scoring two goals.
Brighton are reportedly trying to complete the deal as soon as possible in order to prevent other clubs from gazumping them and are willing to loan the left-sided defender back to the Scottish First Division side for the rest of the season.
However, the acceptance of their offer may merely have started a bidding war amongst the other interested parties.
Elsewhere in Scotland, former Town striker Sam Parkin has joined Queen of the South after leaving St Johnstone last week.
was told of this lad in october by a friend whos mate goes to see falkirk every week. supposed to be a real talent so could be a good shout . i know premier league clubs have been having a sniff though so had better make a proper offer before we miss out again
Brighton have a bid of 300K accepted while we mess around. Given that 300K is not the most significant of sums, and that Brighton have been left to head the race, I would suggest that it is high time that Mr Evans reviewed the manner of negotiating with other clubs.
Bidding for the sake of it or in the knowledge your "first bid is always rejected" is not a practice everyone subscribes to. We don't need a reputation for messing around.
Since PJ's "moment of clarity" about bringing in talented young players with bags of potential rather than high wage has Beene on loan I'm extremely encouraged about the types of players that we've been linked with and/or bidder for.
However this will all mean absolutely nothing unless we've actually signed some of them before the window closes next week. I understand that we don't want to pay over the odds for anyone, and it may transpire that ME, SC & PJ are playing the transfer market very shrewdly as making teams wait and sweat it out, there's an element of cat and mouse to it all.
However if they fail to sign at least half of their intended targets then they need to review their transfer strategy, admit they got it wrong and make someone culpable for such a significant mistake, something that if we get relegated as a result could set us back 8-10 years.