Campbell Yet to Talk to Redknapp Monday, 3rd Dec 2012 10:42
Striker DJ Campbell says he’s yet to speak to new QPR manager Harry Redknapp about his future. The 31-year-old, who has scored six goals in 11 games while on loan with the Blues, is due to go back to his parent club after January 5th.
"I haven't got a clue about QPR yet. I haven't spoken to Harry Redknapp yet but I'm sure when the time's right we'll sit down and talk.
Now I'm just trying to focus on Ipswich and push us up the league," he said.
With strikers Andy Johnson and Bobby Zamora both sidelined with injury, it’s highly like that Redknapp will want the frontman back at least for the short-term while he looks to add to his striking options during the January transfer window.
Boss Mick McCarthy has already confirmed that he wants to sign Campbell, whose QPR contract is up at the end of the season, on a permanent basis, while the player himself says he’d be interested in a full-time switch but not another loan.
I hope we can sign him as he has definitely been a major part in our move up the table. Worked it out this morning under MM we have averaged just over 1.85 points a game. I we do that the rest of the season we would only be 5 points off the playoff mark of last year.
Harry Redknapp already knows what stirkers he wants during January transfer window, and with DJ's contract up in May; he'll want to sell to help pay for waht he wants. The fact that he hasn't spoken with DJ yet, which he has a right to do; tells me that DJ is not in his plans for the future or even short term plan. DJ will stay with us.
Strangely the better DJ does, the less likely it is that he will sign for us! As, if we're in a healthy(ier) position after 05/01/13 when Harry does decide to let him go, he won't sign for us because:
1. His goals per game ratio will see suiters from top 6 in Championship come calling 2. His success will have driven his likely price up 3. We will not be so desperate to sign him, as we are perceived safe(r) 4. We will think we have time to find someone as good before the following season 5. Simon Clegg
really thought all the moronic comments about clegg not being able to sign players had finally gone away. but no there are still idiots out there i see. lowstblue. arniesbigtoe. itfchorry. while you quite entitled to opinions on here, at least base your comments on facts. the fact is that clegg has completed the signing of more players than ne other ceo or chairman prior to him has in the past 20 years. yes, weve missed out on some but none of those hes failed to sign was his fault. was simply they wanted more money in wags than marcus evans is willing to pay. and in charlie austins case for example, he was just using us to get a move to burnley.
Ok, maybe the fact HR hasn't spoken to DJ is a sign that he doesn't want him (and if so, DJ seems happy with us and surely ME has promised Mick some Jan. funds) but it could be that HR has other things in his mind like his immediate games coming up. All in all i think we should all be making QPR our second team until Jan(!) becos an improvemt in their form seems to me the best chance of them not wanting DJ back.
Harry will definitely let him go - he's got better strikers at the club already in Cisse, Mackie, Johnson and Zamora to name but 4; at 31 Campbell''s not a long term prospect for QPR and he would probaby not get a new contract at the end of the season in any case so Harry will jump at the chance to get a bit of cash towards rebuilding QPR in the summer.