x

Jewell Makes New Striker Bid - Ipswich Town News

Town boss Paul Jewell has revealed that the Blues have made an offer for another striker but says that the target isn’t Sheffield United frontman Ched Evans. The Welshman has been linked with Town on a number of occasions this summer with reports on Monday claiming a £1 million bid had been turned down.

Jewell says he has made a move for a third new frontman of the summer but not for the same player he was chasing during last week’s Holland trip: "We’ve made an offer for a striker and we’ll hopefully hear from them on Thursday. That’s a different striker [than we were waiting on before].”

While Town have not made an offer for Evans, the Blues boss says that a future approach is not out of the question: "Someone said to me that we’ve had a £1 million bid turned down. That isn’t the case.

"People are speculating about Ched Evans. He’s a player that’s on the list but we haven’t made an offer for him.”

The newly-relegated Blades are desperate to offload Evans’s £15,000-a-week wages with the 22-year-old now understood not to have joined the rest of his team-mates on the club’s pre-season training camp in Malta.

Middlesbrough, Leicester and Cardiff have also been linked with the former Manchester City man, who joined the Blades for £3 million in the summer of 2009.

Jewell says he's confident that he'll get the additional players he's after before the season begins: "We know we need a couple of players and we're hopeful of that happening before the start of the season.

"We know the players we want. We're looking for two or three players and hopefully they will be here and ready to go for the Bristol game.

"We're looking at all areas of the pitch. We know we're still short and we're determined to get the players in we need."

What to read next:

Young: The League's Not Won After 10 or 20 Games
Town full-back Ashley Young reiterated that there is a long way to go in the season after the Blues’ six-match unbeaten run came to an end at Oxford United on Friday night.
Two Goals and Two Assists For Thomas in Jamaica Goal-Fest
Natasha Thomas scored twice and picked up two assists as Jamaica smashed Dominica 18-0 at the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium in St Lucia in the Reggae Girlz’ first CONCACAF W Championship qualification group match, their first step on the road to the World Cup.
[Podcast] The Naked Football Show - Listen Again
This week's Naked Football Show is now available online.
U18s Beaten By Brighton
Town’s U18s were beaten 2-1 by Brighton & Hove Albion at Playford Road this morning.
Thomas Set to Add to Jamaica Caps
Ipswich Town Women’s striker Natasha Thomas could win her fifth senior international cap later today when Jamaica face Dominica at the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium in St Lucia, the first step on a long road towards qualification for the 2027 World Cup (KO 7pm).
Rowett: A Big Effort, a Big Performance
Oxford United manager Gary Rowett felt his team needed their 2-1 victory over the Blues at the Kassam Stadium having dropped into the bottom three earlier in the week, and despite last night’s result believes Town will be in the mix for promotion come the end of the season.
Oxford United 2-1 Ipswich Town - Highlights
Highlights of Town’s 2-1 defeat at Oxford United.
Young: Even Before We Equalised I Thought We'd Go On and Win the Game
Ashley Young felt Town had enough chances to earn all three points after the Blues fell to a 2-1 defeat to Oxford United at the Kassam Stadium.
McKenna: It Feels Like We've Given the Game Away
Blues boss Kieran McKenna admitted it felt like Town had given the game away following their 2-1 defeat at Oxford United, rueing missed chances and conceding two poor goals.
Oxford United 2-1 Ipswich Town - Player Ratings and Reports
If you saw the match, please give us your player ratings and a mini match report.