x

Steijn: I'm on List of Possible New Ipswich Bosses - Ipswich Town News

VVV-Venlo manager Maurice Steijn understands he is on a list of potential new Town bosses but hasn’t heard anything from the club and says it’s likely he’ll still be with his current club next season.

Steijn, 43, who saw VVV to the Jupiler League (Dutch second tier) title this season, was first mentioned in connection with the Blues early in April when his agent said he was aware of rumours linking his client with Town but said there had been no contact.

Later in the month, the former ADO Den Haag midfielder and manager subsequently added that he hadn’t spoken to the Blues.

Now, speaking to Dutch TV channel Omroep West, Steijn says he has been told he is on a list of potential successors to current Town boss Mick McCarthy.

"I know there is a list of possible new coaches for Ipswich Town,” he said. "I'm on that list.

"A couple of English journalists called me and confirmed that. But as long as I don't hear anything, it is not an option. It’s most likely therefore that I will still be working at VVV next year.”

Steijn is contracted to VVV for another season with talks regarding an extension having taken place.

However, his current deal includes a clause allowing him to depart if a bigger club comes calling and he doesn't rule out moving on: "I'm open to a departure."

In January, Town boss McCarthy said he would make a decision on whether to stay at Portman Road in the summer, which may have led the Blues to look at potential options if he decided to move on.

However, while MD Ian Milne said on Saturday that the former Millwall, Republic of Ireland, Sunderland and Wolves manager's future has not yet been confirmed, McCarthy himself has more recently said on a number of occasions that he has no plans to move on.

Meanwhile, Jonathan Symonds has left the Marcus Evans Group but remains a director of Town.

Symonds was appointed the chief operating officer of mobile ticketing company Active PLC in January after more than 20 years with MEG.

He joined the Town board in November 2007 following Marcus Evans’s takeover and was joint-managing director with Milne between April 2013 and August 2015.

What to read next:

Two Goals and Two Assists For Thomas in Jamaica Goal-Fest
Natasha Thomas scored twice and picked up two assists as Jamaica smashed Dominica 18-0 at the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium in St Lucia in the Reggae Girlz’ first CONCACAF W Championship qualification group match, their first step on the road to the World Cup.
[Podcast] The Naked Football Show - Listen Again
This week's Naked Football Show is now available online.
U18s Beaten By Brighton
Town’s U18s were beaten 2-1 by Brighton & Hove Albion at Playford Road this morning.
Thomas Set to Add to Jamaica Caps
Ipswich Town Women’s striker Natasha Thomas could win her fifth senior international cap later today when Jamaica face Dominica at the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium in St Lucia, the first step on a long road towards qualification for the 2027 World Cup (KO 7pm).
Rowett: A Big Effort, a Big Performance
Oxford United manager Gary Rowett felt his team needed their 2-1 victory over the Blues at the Kassam Stadium having dropped into the bottom three earlier in the week, and despite last night’s result believes Town will be in the mix for promotion come the end of the season.
Oxford United 2-1 Ipswich Town - Highlights
Highlights of Town’s 2-1 defeat at Oxford United.
Young: Even Before We Equalised I Thought We'd Go On and Win the Game
Ashley Young felt Town had enough chances to earn all three points after the Blues fell to a 2-1 defeat to Oxford United at the Kassam Stadium.
McKenna: It Feels Like We've Given the Game Away
Blues boss Kieran McKenna admitted it felt like Town had given the game away following their 2-1 defeat at Oxford United, rueing missed chances and conceding two poor goals.
Oxford United 2-1 Ipswich Town - Player Ratings and Reports
If you saw the match, please give us your player ratings and a mini match report.
Oxford United 2-1 Ipswich Town - Match Report
Town’s six-game unbeaten run came to an end as they were beaten 2-1 by strugglers Oxford United at the Kassam Stadium. Mark Harris profited from an Azor Matusiwa error in the 24th minute to give the U’s the lead against the run of play. The Blues toiled having gone behind but levelled through Leif Davis’s excellent volley eight minutes into the second half, however, Town were caught short of numbers at the back as the U’s countered in the 77th minute, Przemyslaw Placheta restoring their lead, and the Blues were unable to find a second equaliser in the latter stages.