x

Town Reiterate Evans Still Supports Lambert - Ipswich Town News

Town have reiterated that manager Paul Lambert retains the support of owner Marcus Evans in the wake of local newspaper calls for a change at the top at Portman Road.

This evening, the EADT/Ipswich Star joined the widespread clamour for Lambert’s exit via a comment piece from editor Brad Jones with the club responding in a statement released to the papers.

Saturday’s 1-0 home loss to Peterborough, the Blues’ fifth home defeat in six, saw them drop to ninth in the table, two points off the play-offs but now 10 from the automatic promotion spots.

The club statement reads: "While we are very disappointed that the EADT/Ipswich Star has taken this stance, we fully understand the frustrations of supporters with recent results.

"The performances and results of the opening stages of the season have not been mirrored over the last two months or so and the manager, staff and players are fully aware that there needs to be an improvement if we are to achieve the goal of promotion back to the Championship this year.

"Owner Marcus Evans has recently reiterated his support for the manager and with players now coming back from injury and the recent addition of Josh Harrop and Luke Thomas to add competition to the squad, he - and everyone at the club - remains fully behind the management and players in the challenge ahead.

"We are two points off the play-offs with games in hand on nearly all the clubs above us and we have not yet reached the halfway point in the season. There is a lot of football to be played yet, 75 points up for grabs in what is a very challenging season on many fronts.

"So yes, we understand the frustrations of the local newspaper and yes, we understand the frustrations of the supporters. The manager, his staff and the players are frustrated as well but they are determined to turn those frustrations into celebrations.”

TWTD, with reporter Phil Ham still banned from player and manager press conferences at the behest of Lambert, has also backed the calls for a change.

Despite Town’s continued public support of Lambert, we understand the 51-year-old Scot’s future is increasingly in question as the Blues drift further away from the top six with a tough home game against seventh-placed Sunderland on Tuesday and a similarly testing visit to Crewe Alexandra, who are eighth, on Saturday.

Town have beaten only two teams currently in the top 10, Accrington and Crewe earlier in the campaign when the Railwaymen were well down the table, while losing eight games against sides at the division's top end.

Former Portsmouth and Wigan boss Paul Cook and ex-Lincoln and Huddersfield boss Danny Cowley are believed to be high on the list of potential successors if and when Lambert departs, while we understand Neil Harris, who left Cardiff City earlier in the week before being replaced by one-time Blues boss Mick McCarthy, is also among those who would be considered.

Many fans have called for the job to be given to ex-Town midfielder and current U23s coach Kieron Dyer with Terry Butcher, also currently working with the U23s, as his assistant.

What to read next:

[Podcast] Blue Monday - New Podcast Now Online
A new podcast from the Blue Monday team is now available.
McKenna: Neil Settling in Really Well
Blues boss Kieran McKenna says recent signing Dan Neil is settling into the group really well having joined on loan from Sunderland close to the end of the transfer window.
Earlier Kick-Off For Millwall Match
Town’s home game against Millwall on Saturday 21st March has moved to a 12.30pm kick-off for live coverage on Sky Sports Football and ITV4.
McKenna: Few Strikers Better Value Than Hirst
Town boss Kieran McKenna says few £1 million strikers in the current era have been better value than George Hirst and believes the Blues will need the Scotland international, under fire from sections of the club’s support of late, between now and the end of the season.
Nunez Back, Philogene Suffers Setback, No Decision Yet Made on Burns
Marcelino Nunez will return to the squad for Saturday’s Championship to Wrexham but Jaden Philogene has suffered a setback in his comeback, while a decisions is yet to be made on whether Wes Burns will make the trip to North Wales.
Late Goal Denies Town Women Victory Over Runaway Leaders Charlton
A late Gillian Kenney goal salvaged a point for WSL2 leaders Charlton and denied Ipswich Town Women their second home win of the season, the game ending 1-1, the Blues having been more than good for a point to extend their unbeaten league run to four games under interim-manager David Wright.
U18s Come From Two Down to Draw at Reading
A young Town U18s team came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with Reading at their Bearwood Park training ground earlier today.
Loan Duo in England U20 Squad
Blues loan duo Nelly Las and Ava Baker have been named in the England U20 squad for their training camp and friendlies in Spain from the end of the month.
Negri in England U23s
Town Women’s keeper Natalia Negri has been named in the England U23s squad for their fixtures against France and the Netherlands next month.
Town Women Host Runaway Leaders Charlton
Ipswich Town Women host runaway WSL2 leaders Charlton Athletic in a rearranged fixture at the JobServe Community Stadium this evening (KO 7pm, live on YouTube).