x

Second Palacios Bid 'Rejected' - Ipswich Town News

Town’s second offer for Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Exequiel Palacios has been turned down, according to German reports.

Just over a week ago, the Blues made an offer of €15 million (£12.8 million) for the Argentina international, which was swiftly rebuffed by the Bundesliga side, who set their price at €35 million (£29.9 million).

Town stepped away from the discussions but over the weekend German reports claimed Palacios had indicated to Leverkusen that he wanted to move on, was prepared to lower his personal financial demands and would be interested in the Blues, despite earlier signals that the 27-year-old would only consider a bigger club if he were to make a switch to England.

Earlier today, Fabrizio Romano reported that Town had made a new offer and were hopeful that a deal could be done.

However, highly regarded German football magazine Kicker is now reporting that that bid has also been rejected having been only slightly higher than the initial offer.

German Sky reporter Florian Plettenberg says the new bid was just over €20 million and quotes an internal source at the Bundesliga club: "We are miles apart.”

Argentinian news organisation Medio River say they expect the Blues to come back with another offer in the hours to come and a deal subsequently concluded.

If the move were to be agreed, Palacios would be the most eye-catching addition of an already very busy summer at Portman Road, with the outlay having already hit the £150 million mark, and probably the highest profile signing in the club’s history.

The midfielder, who began his career with River Plate in his home country, won the World Cup in 2022 and was in the side which lost this year’s final last month. In total, he has won 41 full caps.

He is contracted to Leverkusen, with whom he won the Bundesliga in 2023/24, until the summer of 2030.

What to read next:

[Podcast] Life's a Pitch TV - New Podcast Now Online
A new podcast from the Life's a Pitch TV team is now available.
Johnson Stoke Loan Move Confirmed
Blues full-back Ben Johnson has completed his season-long loan move to Championship Stoke City.
Maeda Star of New Season's First Call Me Ted Poster
Daizen Maeda is the star of the first Call Me Ted poster of the 2026/27 season for Saturday’s opening Premier League fixture against Sunderland.
TWTD Prediction League 2026/27
With the start of the new season only a day away, it’s time to register for the TWTD Prediction League 2026/27.
U18s at Arsenal
Town’s U18s are in U18 Premier League action against Arsenal at their Sobha Realty Training Centre on Saturday afternoon (KO midday).
Hirst: A Spell of My Life I'll Always Treasure
Departing striker George Hirst says his time at Town was “a spell of my life that I will always treasure” having joined Stoke City yesterday after three and a half years at the club.
Hirst's Stoke Move Confirmed
Striker George Hirst’s permanent move to Stoke City has been confirmed.
[Podcast] Blue Monday - New Podcast Now Online
A new podcast from the Blue Monday team is now available.
Le Bris: Element of the Unknown About Town
Sunderland boss Régis Le Bris has only one injury absentee ahead of the Premier League season opener at Portman Road on Saturday and admits that the newly promoted Blues are something of an unknown quantity under new management.
Davis: Xhaka Was the Signing of Last Season
Town defender Leif Davis believes Sunderland midfielder Granit Xhaka was the signing of last season as the Blues prepare to face the Black Cats in their Premier League opener on Saturday.