Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have I just read this correctly? 07:05 - Jan 9 with 3453 viewskentishblue

In the news article has Berra been correctly quoted? " they (Lincoln) are a full time outfit and were very fit and we had to match that".
Am sure missing something? If I had read that article with no context I would have thought I was reading a comment from a player at a part time club.
Why was matching their fitness such a big deal? Surely that is a given as we are in the second tier of English football?

Just don't understand some of the comments that are coming out. It's like constantly matching up to opponents tactically wise /formation wise rather than imposing ourselves on others- it all just feels rather negative to me.

We need to get ourselves back on the front foot in the head and on the pitch.
Have I just read this correctly? on 07:16 - Jan 9 with 3028 viewsJohnhoz

You are right to pick up on that. Why would he even mention that? Why would the fitness of any of our opponents be a concern?

This shows a mindset of inferiority, in my opinion, which is down to a total lack of confidence
[Post edited 9 Jan 2017 7:16]

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Have I just read this correctly? on 07:18 - Jan 9 with 3004 viewsTractorCam

I try not to take too much notice of the players comments anymore, it's just all a load of drivel these days

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Have I just read this correctly? on 07:26 - Jan 9 with 2942 viewsVic

I thought exactly the same thing, and unless I'm misunderstanding him I think it says something about the current mindset of the players. It's small minded, not confident and needs to change ASAP. I'm sure a manager like MM can change it, but I'm not sure whether he will.

And Mr Berra - there's only one person that can change it - thas you! Put your all on the line and get the rest of the team to do the same. Get the whole team sowing some passion and look like you care and I think people will be more tolerant.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Have I just read this correctly? on 07:27 - Jan 9 with 2923 viewsJohnhoz

Have I just read this correctly? on 07:18 - Jan 9 by TractorCam

I try not to take too much notice of the players comments anymore, it's just all a load of drivel these days

Actually, you make a very good point.

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Have I just read this correctly? on 07:39 - Jan 9 with 2845 viewsReuser_is_God

No, you've read that right.

The past interview that Berra done was really downbeat too.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Have I just read this correctly? on 07:52 - Jan 9 with 2781 viewsVaughan8

Some of those comments are like the team on Saturday.......embarrassing !

How can he say they had to match Lincolns fitness? Seems a bit weird.

Also, getting back to clean sheets means we might see skuse and Douglas again. However, Douglas couldn't have been as bad as Bru on Saturday!
Have I just read this correctly? on 07:53 - Jan 9 with 2773 viewstextbackup

Berra is having a mare on the interview front this season

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Have I just read this correctly? on 07:57 - Jan 9 with 2750 viewsRichOBlue

Seeing him on tv doing the interview was even worse he looked and sounded like a child sulking and feeling sorry for himself

Poll: What formation suits us best?

Login to get fewer ads

Have I just read this correctly? on 08:19 - Jan 9 with 2639 viewsDarth_Koont

Doesn't he just mean that they had to match Lincoln's level of fitness and couldn't take it easy?

Pronouns: He/Him

Have I just read this correctly? on 08:22 - Jan 9 with 2629 viewsFreddies_Ears

That would be the same Lincoln who were running on empty the last 15 mins at home to the mighty Oldham.

Maybe Berra could concentrate on his own game, and give up the habit of hugging forwards very tightly at every challenge.
Have I just read this correctly? on 08:34 - Jan 9 with 2542 viewsBorisOrTrevor

Have I just read this correctly? on 08:19 - Jan 9 by Darth_Koont

Doesn't he just mean that they had to match Lincoln's level of fitness and couldn't take it easy?

You are missing the point. Why mention a non leagues club fitness, at home, in an interview? When playing professionals who get paid x times as much money should not even be on the table.

Doesn't sit right on any level as much as you want to argue against the flow on every thread.

BOT

Have I just read this correctly? on 08:45 - Jan 9 with 2497 viewsCOYBitfc

To Ben honest I have always found Berra's interviews, filmed or just written, to be incredibly dull and lacking in any spark, always said with a very negative and defeatist tone... These comments are just that, absolutely bonkers

Poll: Current/prospective ST holders, what scenario will you purchase for next season?

Have I just read this correctly? on 08:47 - Jan 9 with 2485 viewsSteve_M

Have I just read this correctly? on 08:22 - Jan 9 by Freddies_Ears

That would be the same Lincoln who were running on empty the last 15 mins at home to the mighty Oldham.

Maybe Berra could concentrate on his own game, and give up the habit of hugging forwards very tightly at every challenge.

Although to be fair, the stop[ giving away bad goals part is an admission, albeit indirectly, of his own culpability with two really bad errors in as many games. The Bristol one is only his fault if Bart called for it and that was the keepers ball regardless.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Have I just read this correctly? on 08:55 - Jan 9 with 2428 viewsPinewoodblue

Not sure it would have mattered what Berra said, his body language wasn't right. In his interviews he gives the impression he doesn't want to be there, or it may be he just doesn't want to be here.

Had he said we needed to match their desire or determination someone would have picked up on it and moaned.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Have I just read this correctly? on 09:17 - Jan 9 with 2330 viewscaught-in-limbo

Vanarama National League - best league in the world.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Have I just read this correctly? on 09:17 - Jan 9 with 2323 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have I just read this correctly? on 09:17 - Jan 9 by caught-in-limbo

Vanarama National League - best league in the world.

It gives us something to aim for.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Have I just read this correctly? on 09:20 - Jan 9 with 2307 viewscaught-in-limbo

Have I just read this correctly? on 09:17 - Jan 9 by Swansea_Blue

It gives us something to aim for.

I'm not sure we're good enough to go down.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Have I just read this correctly? on 09:27 - Jan 9 with 2268 viewsitfcjoe

The only comment I could understand on fitness would be something along lines of, "we were expecting them to tire and our superior fitness to show but they just kept going and are obviously a very fit bunch"

This is a bit of a shocker from Berra - they had to match our fitness levels, not the other way round.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Have I just read this correctly? on 10:02 - Jan 9 with 2145 viewsJ2BLUE

I think our fitness coach has questions to answer if that is genuinely how he feels.

Berra seems to come out with some real gems.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Have I just read this correctly? on 10:09 - Jan 9 with 2112 viewsSteve_M

Have I just read this correctly? on 10:02 - Jan 9 by J2BLUE

I think our fitness coach has questions to answer if that is genuinely how he feels.

Berra seems to come out with some real gems.

Although, we do all tend to read too much into what a player says at the end of a game we played badly in and he made a crucial error.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Have I just read this correctly? on 10:13 - Jan 9 with 2078 viewsPinewoodblue

Have I just read this correctly? on 09:27 - Jan 9 by itfcjoe

The only comment I could understand on fitness would be something along lines of, "we were expecting them to tire and our superior fitness to show but they just kept going and are obviously a very fit bunch"

This is a bit of a shocker from Berra - they had to match our fitness levels, not the other way round.

Not sure why you got a down arrow for thst.

agree was a shocker from Berra. Would have been better if instead of going on about clean sheets he had held his hand up and apologised for his sloppy header for their second.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

It's best to ignore most comments..... on 10:15 - Jan 9 with 2064 viewsBloots

Have I just read this correctly? on 10:09 - Jan 9 by Steve_M

Although, we do all tend to read too much into what a player says at the end of a game we played badly in and he made a crucial error.

....made post match (or indeed at anytime) by footballers.

They aren't the most intellectually gifted people in society.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Have I just read this correctly? on 10:17 - Jan 9 with 2042 viewschicoazul

I guess Berra's head is all over the place. He'll be having nightmares about Lincoln's number 9 for the rest of his life. Played off the park by a fat balding pub player.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Have I just read this correctly? on 10:21 - Jan 9 with 2019 viewsLankHenners

Have I just read this correctly? on 07:53 - Jan 9 by textbackup

Berra is having a mare on the interview front this season

"We've got to remember we're only Ipswich Town". Interviews from players and especially managers are hardly worth paying attention to but there's been a noticeable difference in the tone to previous seasons. Just comes across as a complete lack of confidence and a lack of desire which translates onto the pitch. The club's not in a good state at the moment.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Have I just read this correctly? on 10:55 - Jan 9 with 1911 viewsmonty_radio

While there is no direct correlation between the position a footballer plays and the way he sees or reports on a match, and some good managers have not played the game at a significant level, I can't help noticing that Berra's comments nearly always relate to the physical game he plays.

Just as it seems to be his way that the crunching tackle having been made and the ball won, the fate of said ball is someone else's province, so his constitution doesn't seem to tend towards acknowledging failings in creativity as a primary cause or area to be addressed.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024