Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? 11:56 - Jan 18 with 1956 viewsshamboy

I don't understand it. I cannot pin down why performances are so bad. Only one question is important - what is Mick doing wrong?

Is it his personality? - definitely not. He is truly likeable. He has presence.
Is it his man management? - again, I don't think so. He seems shrewd.
Is it his tactics? - I will be perverse and say No. It's not attractive, but it can be very effective.
Is it the personnel? - No, we have enough talent to succeed.
Is it his age? - can he relate to those of playing age? The answer is Yes. In his own way he can command a lot of respect.
Is it his contacts in the game? - Absolutely not.
Is it his support team? - Very unlikely.
Is it that he is stupid? - definitely not.
Does he fail to show respect to the players? - I don't think so.

What does that leave? Football is a very honest game in that budget broadly determines success, but even on that measure we are failing. So it's not budget per se.

If Mick can answer the question posed, then he can recover. The chances seem remote.
The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 12:10 - Jan 18 with 1909 viewsurbanblue

I wonder whether his style of play, effective for him over so many years, just may not work so well in the modern game, especially if he does not have the quality and type of player to do the job he wants. Also, some of the players seem to be stifled. Not able to play the game as they would like. We have seen players who looked so promising when they first joined gradually get lost in the mire of tactics and the method of playing, Sears and Ward for example.

Looking back we can maybe see now why Oar got the feck out of Dodge. I think he saw what was happening.
The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 12:10 - Jan 18 with 1903 viewsBasuco

I just cannot believe how different the performance/tactics/application was last night compared to the Blackburn game, also why did MM not set about changing it during the game? He was happy to continue with the same tactics and not even try to change things. It was obvious for all see from the start that it was more of the same from the first match and we would not win the game just lumping it out of defence. Why change what we did quite well on Saturday?
The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 12:21 - Jan 18 with 1863 viewsBlueWharf

The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 12:10 - Jan 18 by Basuco

I just cannot believe how different the performance/tactics/application was last night compared to the Blackburn game, also why did MM not set about changing it during the game? He was happy to continue with the same tactics and not even try to change things. It was obvious for all see from the start that it was more of the same from the first match and we would not win the game just lumping it out of defence. Why change what we did quite well on Saturday?

Lincoln pressed us into submission, our players simply aren't good enough to pass out of those situations.

RE: the Blackburn game, we scraped past a Blackburn team (in the bottom 3).
The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 12:25 - Jan 18 with 1830 viewsmr_bean

The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 12:10 - Jan 18 by urbanblue

I wonder whether his style of play, effective for him over so many years, just may not work so well in the modern game, especially if he does not have the quality and type of player to do the job he wants. Also, some of the players seem to be stifled. Not able to play the game as they would like. We have seen players who looked so promising when they first joined gradually get lost in the mire of tactics and the method of playing, Sears and Ward for example.

Looking back we can maybe see now why Oar got the feck out of Dodge. I think he saw what was happening.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I would say it's largely down to tactics, allied with a lack of decent coaching at the club; and that has possibly led to some of the players not being fully behind MM.

I know that Oar eventually played down (or dismissed) his agent's comments, but I felt at the time that they offered an insight into what's been going on. I would suggest that most players want to achieve things in the game, and want to try and play it in the right way. It's bound to be damaging to their professional pride to have to play to the tactics and style that MM has been prescribing for most of his tenure.
The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 12:27 - Jan 18 with 1807 viewsWestSussexBlue

Two Key Words Motivation and Leadership.

Lacking from Top to Bottom of this Truly Great Former Club.
The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 12:39 - Jan 18 with 1752 viewsThe_Last_Baron

We have mediocre players. Apart from the goalkeeper, Lawrence who is on loan, a a couple of talented youngsters, the rest are average at best.

Our style of football is terrible.

Those two factors combined are major contributors.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 12:47 - Jan 18 with 1672 viewsRyorry

Soon as I saw the teamsheet for last night, my heart sank down into my wellies and I knew we'd lose. I thought he was supposed to be putting out our first team?! (apart from the injured Webster).

As I've said several times before, seems to me that he simply cannot see the wood for the trees any more - there comes a natural point in all managers' tenures when this applies, and Mick reached it several months ago.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 13:02 - Jan 18 with 1602 viewsParsley

I think he's struggled tactically this season.

When McCarthy joined he assembled a group of experienced players who bought into how he wanted to play and probably overachieved to reach the playoffs. I genuinely think that in the summer the signings he made were to try and get us playing a more attacking, exciting brand of football. Lawrence and Ward on the wings instead of the likes of Tabb/Hunt/Anderson, as well as signing players like Webster and Williams. It hasn't worked out for a collection of reasons including losing Murphy, a whole host of injuries, poor form of previously consistent players, and a loss of that team spirit that took us so far previously.

The biggest thing for me is that too often the players don't seem to be playing with any particular game plan other than trying to match up the opposition or rely on a bit of skill for something to happen (Lawrence in recent games). I feel a bit like McCarthy had this idea of being more attacking this season but doesn't have any particular aim of how to achieve it. We've changed formations countless times this season and just as it seemed liked we'd hit on one in the 3-5-2 i doubt we'll see much of it now with Webster and Smith injured.
Login to get fewer ads

The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 13:20 - Jan 18 with 1533 viewshadleighboyblue

The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 12:10 - Jan 18 by urbanblue

I agree about the players appearing to be stifled , afraid to express themselves and in fear of the manager .

MM seems to set out not to lose , but rarely really going out to take the game to opponents and go for a win . Maybe it's because he knows we are not good enough to get promoted and avoiding relegation means job done - that's what he was brought in for in the first place , but he doesn't seem to have moved on from there .

To be out thought and outplayed over 2 games by non league opposition means you have to question the manager as well as the players - a lack of funds from ME doesn't come into it , Lincoln don't have vast funds but they worked their socks off !

To see players like Sears and Ward lose so much form has to be some sort of issue , in fact our whole squad is not the weakest we have had recently , but the spirit and fight seems to have disappeared from the team . Even the once competitive Berra is making mistakes and had a dreadful 1st half last night.

The poor attitude of Best is not worthy of him starting a match , he has shown nothing in his time here .

I can't remember a time when the feelings among supporters was so bad . We know it's going to take a real effort to get up among the big boys , but the club is on a very dangerous downward spiral that those at the top shouldn't ignore .

Things just have to change and a new manager with new ideas is needed .
The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 13:42 - Jan 18 with 1464 viewsBent_double

I think the main reason is simply that Mick's 'style' of football no longer works at this level of football.
There are many other factors, such as the influx of foreign managers and better players in the Championship than 6-7 years ago, all down to the vast amounts of money that is in the game now - that probably wasn't so much of an issue when he was at Wolves.

Some of the senior players must also be fed-up with the way they have been asked to play over the years under Mick, and they may even be casting envious glances at players like Mcauley and Delaney who left here as poor/bang average players, only to thrive in the PL week in, week out.

We are on our way to League 1, be it this season or next, unless there are drastic changes - which has to start with Mick and TC leaving.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 13:46 - Jan 18 with 1444 viewschicoazul

The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 13:02 - Jan 18 by Parsley

I think he's struggled tactically this season.

When McCarthy joined he assembled a group of experienced players who bought into how he wanted to play and probably overachieved to reach the playoffs. I genuinely think that in the summer the signings he made were to try and get us playing a more attacking, exciting brand of football. Lawrence and Ward on the wings instead of the likes of Tabb/Hunt/Anderson, as well as signing players like Webster and Williams. It hasn't worked out for a collection of reasons including losing Murphy, a whole host of injuries, poor form of previously consistent players, and a loss of that team spirit that took us so far previously.

The biggest thing for me is that too often the players don't seem to be playing with any particular game plan other than trying to match up the opposition or rely on a bit of skill for something to happen (Lawrence in recent games). I feel a bit like McCarthy had this idea of being more attacking this season but doesn't have any particular aim of how to achieve it. We've changed formations countless times this season and just as it seemed liked we'd hit on one in the 3-5-2 i doubt we'll see much of it now with Webster and Smith injured.

Letting Murphy go and not signing a replacement has been basically a disaster, as we more or less play the same way without him as we did with him. There are also 4 or 5 players who are starting to creak, i'll name Berra Chambers Douglas and Sears, and we have the usual long terms injured such as Didz Hyam and Williams.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 13:49 - Jan 18 with 1419 viewsRandall

If you look at our squad (particularly at the players who come in when there are only one or two injuries), we are no better than a mid/lower-mid table Championship side.

We over-achieved (and rode our luck with injuries) to reach the play-offs. We haven't gone backwards - this is genuinely where we are, in a Championship with some better teams and missing Mings and Murphy.

I don't think that Mick is failing. I just think that the fans are more tolerant of limp cup exits and direct football when you are challenging for the playoffs, rather than languishing mid-table like this year.

I wouldn't even really blame Evans for not spending any money - the transfer market has gone crazy (due to the Premier League) - who can blame him for keeping his hand in his pocket and just hoping that one year we manage to ride our luck and get promoted which then changes everything (we were only two wins away from this the other year).

Depressing if you are paying good money to watch ineffective direct football in the process, but there we are - at least we are not down where Blackburn and Forest are.
The only question that matters ~ why is Mick failing? on 14:22 - Jan 18 with 1335 viewsBinner

Part of it is that we are relying too much on bargain basement and out-of-contract players.

An astute manager can pick up the odd player cheaply - Mings was a massive coup, Webster appears to be a bargain - but assembling a squad on the cheap will only get you so far. There is a reason why a well-run club like Brentford allowed Douglas's contract to run down; there is a reason why Best and Varney and Bru were free agents.

Given their provenances, for either Spence or Moore to make a mark on the game would be a great bonus. I'm not holding my breath. If we want the players who will make a difference then, at some point, we must make the investment. Otherwise our trajectory will continue downwards.

With McCarthy's pragmatism we can, generally, make life difficult for opponents and nick a few wins, hopefully enough to maintain our Championship status; a less experienced manager with the same budget will, most likely, see our decline accelerate.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024