Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Latest Brexit news 16:19 - Jan 18 with 1401 viewsblueislander

Both UBS and HBSC stating that over 1,000 jobs at each bank will be lost to London, and moved to Paris. Cue GB.
Latest Brexit news on 16:35 - Jan 18 with 1341 viewsfactual_blue

You're planning to attack Glassers with a snooker cue? Bit extreme.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Latest Brexit news on 16:39 - Jan 18 with 1328 viewsSwansea_Blue

Or something. You can see why people switch off when you've got the likes of Khan saying May's approach will see the loss of millions of jobs. Someone give him a green crayon.

I suspect the banks are partly telling the truth and partly fishing for handouts Nissan-style. A good time to be a lobbyist, as there will be a lot of sectors trying to secure guarantees in cash from all this money that is apparently going to be slopping about.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Latest Brexit news on 16:41 - Jan 18 with 1313 viewshype313

I could partially believe it if they said Frankfurt, but Paris, with the French laws? Can't see that myself.

Sounds like scaremongering to me.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Latest Brexit news on 16:41 - Jan 18 with 1311 viewsbenno1uk

Good - they can F off.
Latest Brexit news on 16:46 - Jan 18 with 1289 viewsblueislander

Latest Brexit news on 16:39 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

Or something. You can see why people switch off when you've got the likes of Khan saying May's approach will see the loss of millions of jobs. Someone give him a green crayon.

I suspect the banks are partly telling the truth and partly fishing for handouts Nissan-style. A good time to be a lobbyist, as there will be a lot of sectors trying to secure guarantees in cash from all this money that is apparently going to be slopping about.

It is a bit late to claim it as part of Project Fear. The government has made it clear that they want to protect the City as Europe's major financial centre. How they are going to do that is not clear. The notion of our changing our financial model, and become a low tax jurisdiction is interesting. Not sure how that would sit with countries with whom we want to make trade agreements.
Latest Brexit news on 16:50 - Jan 18 with 1260 viewsGlasgowBlue

You could have used the full quote from theHSBC (not HBSC) chief executive Stuart Gulliver who went on to say:

“Irrespective of Brexit, London will remain a global financial center, and the revenue impact of Brexit on financial services will be made good in two to three years’ time.”

Of course Mr Gulliver was talking about jobs specifically covered by EU legislation which makes sense.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Latest Brexit news on 16:57 - Jan 18 with 1233 viewsblueislander

Latest Brexit news on 16:50 - Jan 18 by GlasgowBlue

You could have used the full quote from theHSBC (not HBSC) chief executive Stuart Gulliver who went on to say:

“Irrespective of Brexit, London will remain a global financial center, and the revenue impact of Brexit on financial services will be made good in two to three years’ time.”

Of course Mr Gulliver was talking about jobs specifically covered by EU legislation which makes sense.

HSBC have been talking about moving their headquarters back to Hong Kong for quite a while. Even before the referendum to be fair, but they always shy away from doing it, presumably the overriding argument of London being Europe's major financial centre. It is also being muted that Deutsche Bourse's purchase of the London Stock Exchange will have a big impact on jobs in the City.
Latest Brexit news on 17:03 - Jan 18 with 1210 viewsSwansea_Blue

Latest Brexit news on 16:46 - Jan 18 by blueislander

It is a bit late to claim it as part of Project Fear. The government has made it clear that they want to protect the City as Europe's major financial centre. How they are going to do that is not clear. The notion of our changing our financial model, and become a low tax jurisdiction is interesting. Not sure how that would sit with countries with whom we want to make trade agreements.

I agree, although I suspect that's how it will be seen. I suspect this is project fear from the perspective of the banks trying to pressure the government into giving them some sort of post-Brexit support or special dispensation in the negotiations. I could well be wrong, but all industries are going to be lobbying hard.

Login to get fewer ads

Latest Brexit news on 17:09 - Jan 18 with 1180 viewsfactual_blue

Latest Brexit news on 16:39 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

Sadiq Khan and David 'Mr Brexit' Davis went to the same school.

Latest Brexit news on 17:12 - Jan 18 with 1175 viewsSwansea_Blue

Latest Brexit news on 17:09 - Jan 18 by factual_blue

Sadiq Khan and David 'Mr Brexit' Davis went to the same school.

Fascinating

Latest Brexit news on 17:19 - Jan 18 with 1155 viewsDarth_Koont

Latest Brexit news on 17:03 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

I agree, although I suspect that's how it will be seen. I suspect this is project fear from the perspective of the banks trying to pressure the government into giving them some sort of post-Brexit support or special dispensation in the negotiations. I could well be wrong, but all industries are going to be lobbying hard.

Indeed. And it wouldn't surprise me if, in the race for these special dispensations and sweetheart deals, certain political parties and politicians suddenly develop a sweet tooth ...

I may have a particularly low opinion of politicians' interest in the greater good, but all the public money and favours floating about will turn a few heads.

Pronouns: He/Him

Latest Brexit news on 17:22 - Jan 18 with 1135 viewsfactual_blue

Latest Brexit news on 17:12 - Jan 18 by Swansea_Blue

Fascinating

........as did Brian Paddick.....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024