Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
He's actually going to do it... 10:03 - Jan 25 with 9746 viewsNorthstaNder

Just heard on the news that Trump is going to force though documents to make it government policy to build the wall along the American/Mexican border to keep out illegal immigrants!

When I first heard about this during the presidential campaign I thought "naaah, surely not".
He's actually going to do it... on 10:04 - Jan 25 with 3771 viewsstig4532

Well, at least Americans who voted for him can't complain that he isn't getting the job done and sticking to his promises.
He's actually going to do it... on 10:04 - Jan 25 with 3765 viewsStokieBlue

To be fair to him, he's done everything he's promised thus far. His supporters should be happy.

He's still a tool though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

He's actually going to do it... on 10:06 - Jan 25 with 3743 viewsCaptainObvious

Finally a politician that does what he says he will do and people still complain.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

He's actually going to do it... on 10:07 - Jan 25 with 3713 viewsSwailsey

He's actually going to do it... on 10:06 - Jan 25 by CaptainObvious

Finally a politician that does what he says he will do and people still complain.

Because he's a sociopath.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

He's actually going to do it... on 10:08 - Jan 25 with 3709 viewschicoazul

I'll ask again. Why do some people have such a problem with this?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

He's actually going to do it... on 10:08 - Jan 25 with 3706 viewsSwansea_Blue

He is, but how much of this is bluster and rebadging what's gone on before as his own? Over a quarter of the border has a physical barrier now, from fence to walls. And apparently large sections in between have sensors and/or are monitored on CCTV, etc. This is nothing new.

I've been reading up on wiki!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico%E2%80%93United_States_barrier

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

He's actually going to do it... on 10:14 - Jan 25 with 3675 viewsCaptainObvious

He's actually going to do it... on 10:07 - Jan 25 by Swailsey

Because he's a sociopath.

He's certainly getting things done with these executive orders. I don't really know much about them - why didn't Obama use them to force through some gun control legislation?

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

He's actually going to do it... on 10:17 - Jan 25 with 3623 viewsSwansea_Blue

He's actually going to do it... on 10:08 - Jan 25 by chicoazul

A whole host of reasons have been presented:
- it causes problems where it divides lands (e.g. 3 native American tribes would be affected apparently; exiting proposed routes split private property in some places resulting in lengthy court battles)
- there have been accusations of land grab (moving the border into Mexico)
- the existing fence, walls and border controls have been shown to massively reduce illegal entry, so there's an argument as to whether it's value for money
- It can adversely affect natural drainage causing flooding to properties and land
- it affects migration of animal species
- it will need to be built across environmental sensitive areas

As usual, it's a little bit more complicated than the simplistic rhetoric that comes from Trump. And it's nothing new.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

He's actually going to do it... on 10:17 - Jan 25 with 3617 viewsSwailsey

He's actually going to do it... on 10:14 - Jan 25 by CaptainObvious

He's certainly getting things done with these executive orders. I don't really know much about them - why didn't Obama use them to force through some gun control legislation?

It does seem surprising that he is able to *seemingly* implement contentious issues quite easily, but others have struggled to pass laws on gun control/other issues which would appear to make more sense.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

He's actually going to do it... on 10:24 - Jan 25 with 3555 viewsLankHenners

He's actually going to do it... on 10:17 - Jan 25 by Swailsey

It does seem surprising that he is able to *seemingly* implement contentious issues quite easily, but others have struggled to pass laws on gun control/other issues which would appear to make more sense.

Excuse my naivety, but isn't the issue with passing laws on gun control that it conflicts the 2nd amendment and therefore needs to be passed through the senate, which never happens because the NRA allegedly bribes the senators to vote no on any changes?

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

He's actually going to do it... on 10:24 - Jan 25 with 3554 viewscaught-in-limbo

It will be happen if it's the will of those who really run the country.

Here's an example of something that really, really should have happened for all the reasons that Obama stated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13492

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

He's actually going to do it... on 10:25 - Jan 25 with 3531 viewsIpswichIrish

I think it's wrong to judge an whole faith, I support the Palestinians and think Israel's treatment of them is an absolute disgrace, but i would be totally against banning Jews or Israelis. He's banning Iranians, who have Iran attacked? or invaded? and he's banning Iraqis, Britain and America destroyed Iraq, so that seems a bit rich. I can see him having problems with Iran though, they're not a broken backed country, they won't be pushed about, if the neocons want to attack Iran which has been rumoured, it will be a disaster, especially for Israel
He's actually going to do it... on 10:25 - Jan 25 with 3528 viewschicoazul

He's actually going to do it... on 10:17 - Jan 25 by Swansea_Blue

A whole host of reasons have been presented:
- it causes problems where it divides lands (e.g. 3 native American tribes would be affected apparently; exiting proposed routes split private property in some places resulting in lengthy court battles)
- there have been accusations of land grab (moving the border into Mexico)
- the existing fence, walls and border controls have been shown to massively reduce illegal entry, so there's an argument as to whether it's value for money
- It can adversely affect natural drainage causing flooding to properties and land
- it affects migration of animal species
- it will need to be built across environmental sensitive areas

As usual, it's a little bit more complicated than the simplistic rhetoric that comes from Trump. And it's nothing new.

The whole of the US was grabbed from the natives 300 years ago so I dont see why people are suddenly getting upset about that side of things. The environmental problems you allude to seem to me to be fair points well made so I would hope and expect when they build they do with respect to those issues, same as we do here when we build roads around owl colonies, newt colonies etc. But the fundamental principle of wanting to prevent illegal immigrants entering ones country seems entirely reasonable to me even if it does mean there are some problems and some people have to be moved. We do it here with CPOs the new runway at Heathrow for instance.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

He's actually going to do it... on 10:26 - Jan 25 with 3506 viewschicoazul

He's actually going to do it... on 10:25 - Jan 25 by IpswichIrish

I think it's wrong to judge an whole faith, I support the Palestinians and think Israel's treatment of them is an absolute disgrace, but i would be totally against banning Jews or Israelis. He's banning Iranians, who have Iran attacked? or invaded? and he's banning Iraqis, Britain and America destroyed Iraq, so that seems a bit rich. I can see him having problems with Iran though, they're not a broken backed country, they won't be pushed about, if the neocons want to attack Iran which has been rumoured, it will be a disaster, especially for Israel

What.

He's actually going to do it... on 10:26 - Jan 25 with 3504 viewsSwailsey

He's actually going to do it... on 10:24 - Jan 25 by LankHenners

Excuse my naivety, but isn't the issue with passing laws on gun control that it conflicts the 2nd amendment and therefore needs to be passed through the senate, which never happens because the NRA allegedly bribes the senators to vote no on any changes?

Possibly. I wasn't talking that specifically - I just can't remember so many laws being passed so quickly - although to be fair, I probably didn't take as much of an interest as I am now.

He's actually going to do it... on 10:27 - Jan 25 with 3488 viewsBergholtBru

Yes quite. It`s not that big an issue is it. Just securing the border, that`s all. We have the channel, apart from that man made hole in it of course.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

He's actually going to do it... on 10:28 - Jan 25 with 3466 viewsSwailsey

He's actually going to do it... on 10:27 - Jan 25 by BergholtBru

Yes quite. It`s not that big an issue is it. Just securing the border, that`s all. We have the channel, apart from that man made hole in it of course.

But...it's a wall.

It has connotations doesn't it.

He's actually going to do it... on 10:29 - Jan 25 with 3456 viewschicoazul

He's actually going to do it... on 10:28 - Jan 25 by Swailsey

But...it's a wall.

What connotations?

He's actually going to do it... on 10:29 - Jan 25 with 3456 viewscaught-in-limbo

He's actually going to do it... on 10:24 - Jan 25 by caught-in-limbo

It will be happen if it's the will of those who really run the country.

Here's an example of something that really, really should have happened for all the reasons that Obama stated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13492

http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gpo.gov%2Ffdsys%2Fpkg%2FFR

How are we doing with that executive order, eight years down the line?

Judge politicians more by what they achieve than what they say.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

He's actually going to do it... on 10:30 - Jan 25 with 3443 viewsIpswichIrish

He's actually going to do it... on 10:26 - Jan 25 by chicoazul

What.

You ignorantly asked what are people's problem with him banning an whole faith of people. He's a fat orange pervert, and an hypocrite, I would rather die than vote for the turd
He's actually going to do it... on 10:31 - Jan 25 with 3412 viewschicoazul

He's actually going to do it... on 10:30 - Jan 25 by IpswichIrish

You ignorantly asked what are people's problem with him banning an whole faith of people. He's a fat orange pervert, and an hypocrite, I would rather die than vote for the turd

No I didnt. I asked why people have such a problem with him building a wall across the Mexican border.

He's actually going to do it... on 10:32 - Jan 25 with 3390 viewsBinner

He's actually going to do it... on 10:04 - Jan 25 by StokieBlue

To be fair to him, he's done everything he's promised thus far. His supporters should be happy.

He's still a tool though.

SB

He hasn't, really...

As far as I'm aware, he didn't make schools 'gun-free zones' on his first day; nor have Mrs Clinton arrested. (Maybe he spent too long on the first day trying to tell us that the rain stopped and sun came out for his swearing-in and inaugural speech; it didn't).

He seems to be replacing Obamacare with 'Obamacare(Light)-by- a-different-name'.

As for draining the swamp (which should've been done pre inauguration) he has not merely left the swamp intact, he has now infested it with sharks.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

(No subject) on 10:32 - Jan 25 with 3387 viewschicoazul

He's actually going to do it... on 10:29 - Jan 25 by caught-in-limbo

http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gpo.gov%2Ffdsys%2Fpkg%2FFR

How are we doing with that executive order, eight years down the line?

Judge politicians more by what they achieve than what they say.

Quite right. Same as Football Managers.

He's actually going to do it... on 10:32 - Jan 25 with 3378 viewsSwailsey

He's actually going to do it... on 10:28 - Jan 25 by Swailsey

But...it's a wall.

A wall...built to divide...

He's actually going to do it... on 10:32 - Jan 25 with 3374 viewsNo9

He's actually going to do it... on 10:25 - Jan 25 by chicoazul

The whole of the US was grabbed from the natives 300 years ago so I dont see why people are suddenly getting upset about that side of things. The environmental problems you allude to seem to me to be fair points well made so I would hope and expect when they build they do with respect to those issues, same as we do here when we build roads around owl colonies, newt colonies etc. But the fundamental principle of wanting to prevent illegal immigrants entering ones country seems entirely reasonable to me even if it does mean there are some problems and some people have to be moved. We do it here with CPOs the new runway at Heathrow for instance.

"The whole of the US was grabbed from the natives 300 years ago so I dont see why people are suddenly getting upset about that side of things."

It isn't suddenly is it?

There has been a lot going on about the way the native indians were treated for a long time they may not have had everyting they owned re-patriated they are still taking the fight to government
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024