Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's the cost of living like in Thailand? 11:14 - Feb 7 with 2679 viewsHeathlander

Thinking of going there in September for a two centre holiday. It's B&B, I am assuming its really cheap for food and beer?
What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 11:43 - Feb 7 with 2620 viewsBLUEBEAT

You can live like a king for less than £20 a day.

Cheaper up North.

Poll: W or W

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 12:11 - Feb 7 with 2587 viewsurbanblue

I don't know about food and beer but I'm told a Blow Job's about 1500 Baht!

C'mon it's what you really wanted to know eh
What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 13:31 - Feb 7 with 2470 viewstaximan

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 11:43 - Feb 7 by BLUEBEAT

You can live like a king for less than £20 a day.

Cheaper up North.

3 of my mates just been there for a few weeks, they reckon £100 per day and that includes hotel
What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 13:35 - Feb 7 with 2453 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Depends where you are.
What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 13:49 - Feb 7 with 2438 viewsclive_baker

Not as cheap as it used to be, but after accommodation I would say about £40 per day if you're boozing and partying, maybe less if you're not.

Vietnam is a lot cheaper and in my experience better if that's an option. Bit more authentic / less drunk tw*t Westerners. Depending on where you go in Thailand of course, but I was young and carefree at the full moon parties / Ko Samui etc and it was basically Falaraki but further away. Don't get me wrong it was fun but Vietnam was more culturally interesting. Also be careful where you buy booze in Thailand, I would avoid the little independent shops, it's paint stripper laced with god knows what. Does the job but you take your chances.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? (n/t) on 15:14 - Feb 7 with 2353 viewsflyingdutchman

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 15:15 - Feb 7 with 2349 viewsflyingdutchman

not now the pound is weaker
What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 15:52 - Feb 7 with 2304 viewsIpswichTownNL

While Town was playing the first play-off match against Norwich I was in a Thai ‘back to basic’ floating river hotel. No electricity so no Wi-Fi, nothing. Had to stack three elephant to get enough reception to receive text updates. The horror.

Definitely not as cheap as I expected. To be honest I didn’t go looking for the cheapest options / deals for anything but I remember a Guinness being like 300 bath which is like € 10,- at most places. Obviously the less touristy the less € needed.

Pro tip. Eat where the locals eat. The only thing that makes you sick in these countries is trying to eat your used to European food that they don’t know how to cook properly.

Dutch Tractor Boys! Follow on Twitter; @IpswichTownNL

Login to get fewer ads

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 16:18 - Feb 7 with 2264 viewsTractorWood

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 13:49 - Feb 7 by clive_baker

Not as cheap as it used to be, but after accommodation I would say about £40 per day if you're boozing and partying, maybe less if you're not.

Vietnam is a lot cheaper and in my experience better if that's an option. Bit more authentic / less drunk tw*t Westerners. Depending on where you go in Thailand of course, but I was young and carefree at the full moon parties / Ko Samui etc and it was basically Falaraki but further away. Don't get me wrong it was fun but Vietnam was more culturally interesting. Also be careful where you buy booze in Thailand, I would avoid the little independent shops, it's paint stripper laced with god knows what. Does the job but you take your chances.

Indonesia was the same for Booze, drink beer or cocktails at credible bars. If you are drinking clear liquids at warungs you are asking for problems. Am going to Penang in March, anyone been?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 16:25 - Feb 7 with 2254 viewsLord_Lucan

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 16:18 - Feb 7 by TractorWood

Indonesia was the same for Booze, drink beer or cocktails at credible bars. If you are drinking clear liquids at warungs you are asking for problems. Am going to Penang in March, anyone been?

I've been to Penang. The beer is so expensive I nearly b£ggered off to Thailand.

Have to say I really didn't like the place. Boring.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 04:16 - Feb 8 with 2062 viewsjeera

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 16:18 - Feb 7 by TractorWood

Had a short stay in Penang many years ago.

Food was fecking great.

Walk down one street and you're in china, wander a couple of blocks and you're in India.

Some very nice looking Malaysian women about too. Although I got warned off a lass there by her family cos I got too close.

The uncle even offered to introduce me to his collection of snakes and u know, he wasn't lying as he brought one along just to show me.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 04:23 - Feb 8 with 2056 viewsjeera

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 13:49 - Feb 7 by clive_baker

When I visited samui it didn't even have a road, let alone a hotel.

The Pound was 50 baht so silly cheap.

Needless to say that wasn't recently.

I'd like to see Vietnam or maybe Burma, as hopefully you'd find places as Thailand used to be. Contradictory of course as tourism is needed.

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 10:05 - Feb 8 with 1948 viewsStewartsgloves

Been there twice, Beer wise a chang (crap) or Singa (much better) will set you back around £1.5-£2 for a large 500ml - 660ml bottle.

DO NOT DRINK DRAFT! Fair to say that the hygiene standards aren't anywhere near bars in the UK.

Meals like curries are normally £6-7 quid. the street food can be cheaper but it is a risk. you might get lucky or you might bet food poisoning.

My advice get out of Bangkok asap. It's a hot and sticky mess. Head to the islands, the extra travel is worth it.
What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 10:22 - Feb 8 with 1930 viewsLord_Lucan

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 10:05 - Feb 8 by Stewartsgloves

Been there twice, Beer wise a chang (crap) or Singa (much better) will set you back around £1.5-£2 for a large 500ml - 660ml bottle.

DO NOT DRINK DRAFT! Fair to say that the hygiene standards aren't anywhere near bars in the UK.

Meals like curries are normally £6-7 quid. the street food can be cheaper but it is a risk. you might get lucky or you might bet food poisoning.

My advice get out of Bangkok asap. It's a hot and sticky mess. Head to the islands, the extra travel is worth it.

I preferred Chang tbh and I prefer to drink out of a can rather than the Singha bottles. The bottles are recycled many times (you can tell by the state of them) and I don't think they are cleaned properly and the dregs not fully emptied.

Agree about Bangkok, I didn't like it. I do like Pattaya - not keen on Samui.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 13:16 - Feb 8 with 1794 viewstomo

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 10:05 - Feb 8 by Stewartsgloves

I'm in Koh Tao at the moment.

Big bottle of Chang is 75 Baht
Pen nang curry just set me back 120 Baht
Our bungalow is 700 Baht a night. (Bed, big and fan)

So much more expensive than last time I was here, about 5 years, back but still possible to do it on the cheap if you are sensible.
What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 20:49 - Feb 8 with 1692 viewsipswicholdboy

Cheap as chips be 4 times
What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 07:01 - Feb 11 with 1541 viewsTractorWood

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 04:16 - Feb 8 by jeera

Had a short stay in Penang many years ago.

Food was fecking great.

Walk down one street and you're in china, wander a couple of blocks and you're in India.

Some very nice looking Malaysian women about too. Although I got warned off a lass there by her family cos I got too close.

The uncle even offered to introduce me to his collection of snakes and u know, he wasn't lying as he brought one along just to show me.

Cheers. Am headed to Georgetown and a beach place for a few quiet nights. Looking forward to it.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 07:06 - Feb 11 with 1530 viewsjeera

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 07:01 - Feb 11 by TractorWood

Cheers. Am headed to Georgetown and a beach place for a few quiet nights. Looking forward to it.

Ate an amazing black pomfret in a restaurant there. Wasn't cheap, mind.

But I'd been backpacking and living cheaply off street food so every now and then...

What's the cost of living like in Thailand? on 08:08 - Feb 11 with 1480 viewsjas0999

Not as cheap as it used to be by all accounts, but still affordable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024