Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad 16:20 - Feb 12 with 12449 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I'm not gonna even try and copy the elegance in speech of mullet or Harry (two great reports btw chaps) but will just post as I'm thinking.

Where to start? The team news. Bart, Emmanuel, Knudsen, Chambo, Taylor and Berre. Berre? Who the fook is Berre? They couldn't even be bothered to spell our CBs name correctly. But aside from that, standard starting line up at the back. Midfield of Ward, Diags and Huws was exciting to think about with the memories of reading just 7 days prior. Bales apprentice playing up top with Didz. A recipe for us to get forward with confidence and play some lovely stuff or we would be completely overrun. Only time would tell.

We started ok. Not great. Not bad. Villa looked a threat with the bloke with that strange haircut playing it forward to Kodjia. The latter was causing Taylor problems with some silly fouls being given away. One of those fouls led to a corner which led to Bart making a fantastic save down low to his right. Did he see it late or was it just the speed of the strike that made him seemingly dive later than normal? Who cares. He saved it.

Then Berra had hold of one of the midlanders shirts from a corner which could've been fatal if the ref or the lino decides to be brace and give it. That lino seemed to be constantly give yards behind play. If ever you listen to a stream and the radio commentary at the same time and there's that 3 second delay, that was the link to the play yesterday. Only real thing of note In an average first half was us allowing the bobblehead guy a free shot from a free kick 16 yards out. Crash onto the bar. Phew! Shoutout to the town fan who tried to start a rendition of 'Mick McCarthy your football is sh1t' about three minutes into the game. He was very drunk. He also shouted to Berra within two minutes that 'its time to go back up north'. Tremendous support.

Grandad thought that we were as good as Villa at half time other than a couple of chances for villa earlyish that I've said above. A draw seemed the right result. An average both halves between two mid table teams in honesty.

Second half we looked very sharp - very quickly. Diags was immense at stopping Lansbury and bobblehead and then feeding huws and Ward who ran at players. It was a sight to behold. At the 60 minute mark, my grandad turned to me and said 'you're playing very well second half. Look Better than them so far'. That seems a fair comment. Every time the ball went into the middle of the pitch, it was ending with Town getting forward. We played it on the floor. I can't stress enough how good it was to see us building at pace with players like Knudsen, Emmanuel, Huws, Ward, Diags, Lawrence and Didz linking up. On the floor.

As the game went on, myself and my grandad agreed that we can't let villa back into the ascendancy as the crowd will lift. At the minute, they were turning slowly on their side. They were struggling to deal with the fact that Town looked like they wanted the win more than them. We were the ones having runners from midfield. We were the ones playing it in their half.

It seemed appropriate that the goal came from a villa player worrying about Lawrence allowing yet another runner from midfield in Huws busting his b0llocks to get on the end of Didzs pinpoint cross/pass to cause pandemonium. As you will have noted, my grandad was in attendance. It was his Christmas present from myself. He loves a day out at the football but hasn't been in an away end since 1985. We'd planned to go to the front row and he could sit and I'd stand. However the people in those seats wanted them so we found ourselves in the middle of the lower tier. We had to see if his knees would cope with standing for 90 minutes. Thankfully they did. The point I'm making is that as we scored, the away end went crazy. People jumping on each other as usual like at Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton and Watford. As I turned to my left, i saw something that absolutely made the day for me. My grandad was like every other town fan jumping around with complete strangers from the town behind us with the biggest smile on his face. That for me was worth it even if villa had scored two in injury time. Thankfully they didn't.

On the train home, which we got stuck in delays because of 'overhead wire failures' and had to go via Northampton meaning the journey to London was double the time. More time to discuss the game as we'd done in less detail at a local Tesco a cafe waiting for the train. '100% deserved the 3 points based on that second half performance' said my grandad. Hard to disagree even for villa fans who, to their credit, agreed it was coming. From 70 minutes on, villa had (in assuming) far less possession than we did and we just had to hope we'd make that one chance from it. Massive credit to Huws as we saw the replay for the goal on the train. 'I'll tell you what that's one hell of a finish to hit that mid-stride'. Well said. It's one thing busting the gut, but it's a different challenge entirely to keep composure as 2000 town fans breathed inwards in mass anticipation. 1 big chance. 1 huge goal. Get f*cking in!

Days out like yesterday tell me exactly why I spend my cash going to places like Barnsley to watch us. You doubt your sanity after the Derby game. I lost my head that night questioning what the f*ck we were doing signing a loanee. 'A loanee. Another f*cking loanee' was what I posted on here. Can I just have it on record that I'm so so SO glad we made that signing. That signing was Huws.

Asides from the footy, the hotdog was different to normal. As well as being about two times bigger than the roll, it had a sweeter taste than normal hotdogs. I have to give it an 8/10. Well done Villa. On the way home, asides from a hot chhocolate at Tesco cafe, we found an outlet selling food at Birmingham new street station. 'Two sausage rolls please' said my grandad. Incredibly their was two jumbo ones for £3 or some poshboy ones that were like a quarter of the size for £3.89. 'Seasoned with herbs' was their excuse according to the tag. What's that about?

My grandad has now seen us 7 times, including the Watford, Charlton and yesterday late winners, with 6 wins. He obviously loved his first taste of an away end in 32 years as we've sorted out him coming to Fulham away with me in April where he will be amongst the riff raff of town fans once against.

Hotdog - 8
Sausage roll - 9
Day out - 10
Last minute winner - 10
Seeing my grandads face for the goal - 1684552

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 12:41 - Feb 13 with 4585 viewsNewcyBlue

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 12:24 - Feb 13 by The_Romford_Blue

In comparison to normal food, like restaurant food, it's of course a joke.

I do the hotdog rating on every Away ground review - kinda comparing them with each other. Newvastles at 8.5 is first I think

In Newcastle you should have got a ham and pease pudding stottie, that would have blown your mind!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 12:46 - Feb 13 with 4568 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 12:41 - Feb 13 by NewcyBlue

In Newcastle you should have got a ham and pease pudding stottie, that would have blown your mind!

I'll be bang on honest with you Newcy here - I have absolutely no idea what a ham and pease pudding stottie is

Not for a Scooby

Is it like a pastrie?

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 12:49 - Feb 13 with 4562 viewsNewcyBlue

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 12:46 - Feb 13 by The_Romford_Blue

I'll be bang on honest with you Newcy here - I have absolutely no idea what a ham and pease pudding stottie is

Not for a Scooby

Is it like a pastrie?

A Stottie is like a bread roll. Only a little bit flatter and a hell of a lot bigger. Think the size of your dinner plate.

Pease Pudding is generally made of legumes or split peas with some spices. It's a hearty warming dish when served up with boiled ham, and makes a good sandwich.

Go local when you go on your away trips, apart from the Scum, stay away from anything local there!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 12:59 - Feb 13 with 4547 viewsTractorCam

Good report. You should of had more of a look down the front, I was directly next to the q3 entrance on the front row and for most of the game there was 2 empty seats next too me until a father and young son came next too me

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 13:10 - Feb 13 with 4536 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 12:59 - Feb 13 by TractorCam

Good report. You should of had more of a look down the front, I was directly next to the q3 entrance on the front row and for most of the game there was 2 empty seats next too me until a father and young son came next too me

I'll be honest, I was glad my grandad stood with me tbh

Just round there today funnily enough and speaking to him now on his lunch break and he said his knees and back weren't too bad yesterday in the end

Alls well that ends well

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 13:12 - Feb 13 with 4529 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 12:49 - Feb 13 by NewcyBlue

A Stottie is like a bread roll. Only a little bit flatter and a hell of a lot bigger. Think the size of your dinner plate.

Pease Pudding is generally made of legumes or split peas with some spices. It's a hearty warming dish when served up with boiled ham, and makes a good sandwich.

Go local when you go on your away trips, apart from the Scum, stay away from anything local there!

Can't believe I've never heard of it

I can taste the difference between London, southern and northern (it's grim oop north) hot dogs

My routine also involves 7/8 ciders on the train up for northern games.

Love an away trip

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 13:18 - Feb 13 with 4519 viewsTractorCam

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 13:10 - Feb 13 by The_Romford_Blue

I'll be honest, I was glad my grandad stood with me tbh

Just round there today funnily enough and speaking to him now on his lunch break and he said his knees and back weren't too bad yesterday in the end

Alls well that ends well

That's great too hear. I miss going to games with my granddad, enjoy these moments.

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 13:38 - Feb 13 with 4510 viewsMetal_Hacker

Amazing image and proof that there are more important things in life !!

Great read !!

Poll: If it were one or the other

Login to get fewer ads

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 15:00 - Feb 13 with 4490 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 13:18 - Feb 13 by TractorCam

That's great too hear. I miss going to games with my granddad, enjoy these moments.

Fulham away being the next point of call

He came to old Trafford last year and sat with my brother and dad in the home end and I went in the away end. He loved that.

Saturday was his first Away end match in 32 years

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 14:45 - Apr 30 with 4269 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I just want to bump this thread if that’s ok. Only cos I’ve just read it again. My grandad sadly died yesterday but of all the matches we ever did (and there was quite a few), this was his favourite along with Man U at Old Trafford.

He might have officially been a Man U fan but he did say Ipswich has become a bit of a second team to him - along with Leyton Orient. He was too ill to make any games this season but he did watch a few on TV. We had hoped to make some games next season if he got better but as the season went on, I think that was becoming less realistic by the week.

Seeing his face for the Huws goal is still my favourite moment as an Ipswich fan. To turn around amongst the ‘absolute scenes’ and see him in a mini huddle going crazy with a few random strangers behind us was a genuinely lovely thing to see. He lost his head in the celebrations like every one of us. An away day with my grandad was certainly an experience. He even got his own TWTD profile on here a couple of years ago made by someone taking the piss. Whether we won like at Villa looking great or lost like at Rotherham in 2017 looking awful, I never had a day at the footy with him where we regretted it. The laughs and the memories each time more than make up for the football. I’ll miss that. Rest in Peace Grandad Mick

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 14:47 - Apr 30 with 4252 viewsTractorCam

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 14:45 - Apr 30 by The_Romford_Blue

I just want to bump this thread if that’s ok. Only cos I’ve just read it again. My grandad sadly died yesterday but of all the matches we ever did (and there was quite a few), this was his favourite along with Man U at Old Trafford.

He might have officially been a Man U fan but he did say Ipswich has become a bit of a second team to him - along with Leyton Orient. He was too ill to make any games this season but he did watch a few on TV. We had hoped to make some games next season if he got better but as the season went on, I think that was becoming less realistic by the week.

Seeing his face for the Huws goal is still my favourite moment as an Ipswich fan. To turn around amongst the ‘absolute scenes’ and see him in a mini huddle going crazy with a few random strangers behind us was a genuinely lovely thing to see. He lost his head in the celebrations like every one of us. An away day with my grandad was certainly an experience. He even got his own TWTD profile on here a couple of years ago made by someone taking the piss. Whether we won like at Villa looking great or lost like at Rotherham in 2017 looking awful, I never had a day at the footy with him where we regretted it. The laughs and the memories each time more than make up for the football. I’ll miss that. Rest in Peace Grandad Mick

Sorry for your loss Rommy, I remember you posting this thread like it was yesterday and remember how happy the image of your granddad giving it the 'scenes' made me. Thoughts with you and your family.

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 14:49 - Apr 30 with 4246 viewsScottCandage

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 14:45 - Apr 30 by The_Romford_Blue

I am sorry for your loss, Rommy, I remember reading that post.
The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 14:50 - Apr 30 with 4245 viewsReuser_is_God

Sorry to hear that mate.

RIP The_Romford_Grandad

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 14:55 - Apr 30 with 4228 viewsSteve_M

Really sorry to hear that and, yes, it's definitely ok to bump the thread. Take time to find more happy memories of your Grandad amidst your grief.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 15:00 - Apr 30 with 4208 viewsLord_Lucan

Sorry for your loss Rommy, I remember being hit quite bad when my grandad died as we were very close and he was the first one to take me to football at Upton Park.

Very sad for you.

RIP GrandadRom.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 15:11 - Apr 30 with 4179 viewsBlue_Order

Sorry for your loss, mate.
The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 15:16 - Apr 30 with 4166 viewsSarge

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 12:36 - Feb 13 by The_Romford_Blue

A) I like hotdogs
B) It's almost a footballing tradition now for me (how will I get out of the police escort for one against scum is the question?)
C) Pies can only be eaten with cutlery. Cutlery at football is like half and half scarves - for the day trippers.

Pah. Well this ‘day tripper’ carries a plastic fork upon his person at all times, every coat I own has one. Many a spontaneous dessert have I managed whilst the lesser prepared people scrabble round office kitchens looking for cutlery.
The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 15:56 - Apr 30 with 4126 viewsitfcjoe

Sorry to hear Rommy, sounds like you had some great times with your Grandad - RIP

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 16:36 - Apr 30 with 4082 viewsBenters2

Sorry to see this sad news Rommy.

God bless your Grandad.
The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 16:47 - Apr 30 with 4067 viewsSarge

I didn’t even clock the date, sorry to hear that
The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 16:50 - Apr 30 with 4059 viewsfooters

My condolences, Rommy. Always a tough one, hope you're ok.

And don't give up eating those hotdogs! They're the best part of your matchday reports :)

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 16:52 - Apr 30 with 4057 viewscatch74

Thoughts with you Rommy, great that you took the time to write this and also spend plenty of time with him.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 17:41 - Apr 30 with 4027 viewshorsehollerer

I enjoyed this post at the time, and again just now. Sorry to hear of your loss, Your grandad will remain a part of TWTD folklore and I hope you are proud of having given him some memorable, fun moments towards the end of his life — no mean feat watching Ipswich. RIP.

Blog: The Late, Late Blubfest Show

The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 18:09 - Apr 30 with 4004 viewsm14_blue

Sorry for your loss Rommers, it’s just a rubbish thing to have to go through.

Sounds like you’ve got some fantastic memories to look back on though.
The Rommy Report - with a few comments from my grandad on 18:18 - Apr 30 with 3991 viewstextbackup

sorry mate,

sounds like he was what you'd call a proper granddad, young at heart and good fun

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024