Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan 15:49 - Feb 28 with 6823 viewsDennyx4

Had an interesting conversation with a father of an ITFC academy player.

Apparently, he had received a call from Norwich City in the last month asking for his son to join their Academy. When he stated that his son was playing for Ipswich Academy. He was told by the "Scout" from Norwich, that they knew that and are allowed to approach Ipswich Academy players as they are registered category 1 and it offers better facilities for the young players to learn the game - thus this is supported by the FA.

He was also told that they regularly watch the Ipswich Academy teams to see who they wished to approach. If true, and I have no reason to doubt it, will make keeping our best youngsters almost impossible. As it ,must be easier to watch other teams academies, rather than doing the leg work at Schools or Sunday Mornings.

The Norwich Academy training session was held at Whitton - so also no need to travel to Norwich either.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 15:51 - Feb 28 with 4290 viewsBluebell

I would guess that is true but only if the child and parent allowed it.

Nobody can force an academy player to go elsewhere.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2017 16:07]
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 15:57 - Feb 28 with 4251 viewsGeoffSentence

To be fair we have nicked some of their best academy products in the past. ALB was one of theirs.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 15:57 - Feb 28 with 4250 viewsDennyx4

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 15:51 - Feb 28 by Bluebell

I would guess that is true but only if the child and parent allowed it.

Nobody can force an academy player to go elsewhere.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2017 16:07]

Agree, nobody can force anyone into going elsewhere.

Just doesn't sit comfortably with me (probably because it is Norwich), that they can approach without any redress, and have set up in our town to do it.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 15:59 - Feb 28 with 4239 viewsGeoffSentence

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 15:57 - Feb 28 by Dennyx4

Just doesn't sit comfortably with me (probably because it is Norwich), that they can approach without any redress, and have set up in our town to do it.

Nope, it doesn't seem right. Ours might not be cat 1 but it is costly to run, this is another way of benefitting those clubs who are, or have been recently, in the premier league. It makes that 0.3% or whatever slim margin we missed out on cat 1 seem even more gauling.

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:01 - Feb 28 with 4214 viewsPhilTWTD

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 15:57 - Feb 28 by GeoffSentence

To be fair we have nicked some of their best academy products in the past. ALB was one of theirs.

ALB was one of ours originally, we released him and they picked him up.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:03 - Feb 28 with 4196 viewsKieran_Knows

Don't I just know it that Norwich hold training sessions at Whitton Sports Centre. Can't get a parking space for love nor money on Monday/Tuesday nights up there!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:03 - Feb 28 with 4193 viewscaught-in-limbo

It's a big thing for a young lad to go from wearing blue to wearing yellow. Imagine all those insects flying round you in summer like you're a lump of pooh.

Good luck to them though if they can manage it.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:09 - Feb 28 with 4113 viewsPhilTWTD

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 15:57 - Feb 28 by Dennyx4

They would have to pay compensation and there has always been an element of 'poaching' along those lines in youth football. Probably a bigger concern than Norwich is that the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea will try to take our most talented players, as happened with Charlie Brown last summer.
Login to get fewer ads

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:15 - Feb 28 with 4082 viewsartsbossbeard

Slightly off topic, however, a mates lad was at an U8 tournament organised by NCFC in the Ipswich area. There was an odd number of participants (deliberate) team-wise, so the NCFC organised advised that they'd take a look at the boys against each other and create a "star" team from the boys they liked the look of to even the team numbers up.

Aforementioned mates lad gets picked for the "stars" but point blank refuses to wear an NCFC shirt, so they had to pick another lad instead. My mate was extremely proud.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:16 - Feb 28 with 4064 viewsDennyx4

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:09 - Feb 28 by PhilTWTD

They would have to pay compensation and there has always been an element of 'poaching' along those lines in youth football. Probably a bigger concern than Norwich is that the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea will try to take our most talented players, as happened with Charlie Brown last summer.

Guess the compensation depends on age of player - not sure what age they start at in the Academy?

The Norwich Scout, did state that they were only permitted to approach non-category 1 academy players though.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:33 - Feb 28 with 3983 viewsSwansea_Blue

At a younger age, Cat 1 is not necessarily a bonus for the player or parents. As long as we aim to treat them better and offer more opportunities, such as game time, then we'll have no problem retaining and attracting new players. Not having the reach of a Cat 1 categories will also present more opportunities for local kids.

I know people in this neck of the woods who have moved their kids from Swans Cat 1 to Cardiff, simply because the Swans hardly ever played games. So it's certainly not the be all and end all.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:33 - Feb 28 with 3969 viewsReuser_is_God

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:15 - Feb 28 by artsbossbeard

Slightly off topic, however, a mates lad was at an U8 tournament organised by NCFC in the Ipswich area. There was an odd number of participants (deliberate) team-wise, so the NCFC organised advised that they'd take a look at the boys against each other and create a "star" team from the boys they liked the look of to even the team numbers up.

Aforementioned mates lad gets picked for the "stars" but point blank refuses to wear an NCFC shirt, so they had to pick another lad instead. My mate was extremely proud.

Good lad.

Why the fcuk any self respecting 8 year old would want to represent that shower of sh1t I do not know.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:46 - Feb 28 with 3916 viewsDennyx4

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:33 - Feb 28 by Swansea_Blue

At a younger age, Cat 1 is not necessarily a bonus for the player or parents. As long as we aim to treat them better and offer more opportunities, such as game time, then we'll have no problem retaining and attracting new players. Not having the reach of a Cat 1 categories will also present more opportunities for local kids.

I know people in this neck of the woods who have moved their kids from Swans Cat 1 to Cardiff, simply because the Swans hardly ever played games. So it's certainly not the be all and end all.

That's interesting to know re Swansea and Cardiff, guess that is a pretty similar catchment and rivalry.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:53 - Feb 28 with 3877 viewsFreddy

Up to the parents, they only have to say no
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:55 - Feb 28 with 3869 viewsSuperfrans

Category 1 academies can't steal from other category 1 academies, but they can from category 2.

But any kid looking to move from one academy to another won't necessarily jump ship because one is Cat 1 and the other is Cat 2 - geography will come into it, as well as likelihood of making transition into the first team, available facilities, loyalty to the coaches/players they have worked with etc...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:57 - Feb 28 with 3848 viewsbournemouthblue

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:46 - Feb 28 by Dennyx4

That's interesting to know re Swansea and Cardiff, guess that is a pretty similar catchment and rivalry.

Very, the disadvantage for us is that Norwich essentially get first dibs on players in the region even though we are based more centrally

Historically they haven't had a great record of bringing young players through in comparison to us

I'd reckon we've had around 10 - 15 youth players who have become full players for us in the last 15 years

For Norwich it's only about 2 or 3 and even Jason Shackell and Chris Martin had to move away?

The Murphy twins will be their best youth products since Bellamy
[Post edited 28 Feb 2017 16:59]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 17:02 - Feb 28 with 3807 viewsPhilTWTD

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:16 - Feb 28 by Dennyx4

Guess the compensation depends on age of player - not sure what age they start at in the Academy?

The Norwich Scout, did state that they were only permitted to approach non-category 1 academy players though.

That is technically true, although in reality it also happens between Cat One clubs and is something which has always happened. Was told a - perhaps apocryphal - story a few years back that Town didn't know an academy player had moved on until they received a cheque from another club as compensation.

There is a set formula for compensation for players who haven't signed scholarships. If they have then the clubs agree a figure or it goes to a tribunal, as per the Charlie Brown move.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 17:02 - Feb 28 with 3807 viewsgerard1947

My youngest grandson has followed the family tradition and is a true blue. He is only 6 but a talented footballer for his age. He lives closer to Ipswich than Norwich but it is Norwich that has approached him to join their development scheme. Ipswich scouts had been due to watch his Saturday team but not turned up.
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 17:06 - Feb 28 with 3752 viewsITFC_Forever

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:03 - Feb 28 by Kieran_Knows

Don't I just know it that Norwich hold training sessions at Whitton Sports Centre. Can't get a parking space for love nor money on Monday/Tuesday nights up there!

They don't - Norwich use Whitton Utd's facilities, not IBC's Whitton Sports Centre.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 17:14 - Feb 28 with 3722 viewsitfcjoe

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:55 - Feb 28 by Superfrans

Category 1 academies can't steal from other category 1 academies, but they can from category 2.

But any kid looking to move from one academy to another won't necessarily jump ship because one is Cat 1 and the other is Cat 2 - geography will come into it, as well as likelihood of making transition into the first team, available facilities, loyalty to the coaches/players they have worked with etc...

There are more 'transfers' between Cat 1 clubs than there is Cat 2 to Cat 1.

Realistically we aren't losing boys to Norwich. There training centres set up all around the county are just money making exercises and any player deemed good enough to make leap from Norwich training sessions in Ipswich will be either on Ipswich's radar, or will become on it.

Putting any club loyalties aside - if you had a son who was offered opportunity to go to Cat 1 academy which is over an hour away and have to train 2x a week and you had a Cat 2 one on your doorstep like the boys in Whitton do then you'd make a phonecall.

The only way we lose boys are those that are not good enough and not pushed on enough, geographically inconvenient or a big club coming and offering 14-16 year olds and their families eye watering amounts. Charlie brown is on a reported (very good source) £4k a week for 3 years at Chelsea. He'd have been on £100 a week at Ipswich through his scholarship.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 17:29 - Feb 28 with 3636 viewsbournemouthblue

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 17:06 - Feb 28 by ITFC_Forever

They don't - Norwich use Whitton Utd's facilities, not IBC's Whitton Sports Centre.

would that be the Ruel Fox connection?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 18:03 - Feb 28 with 3531 viewsGeoffSentence

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:01 - Feb 28 by PhilTWTD

ALB was one of ours originally, we released him and they picked him up.

You always have to know better don't you mr smartiepants. Ok, they poached him, but we poached him back again, huzzah for Roy Keane.

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 18:09 - Feb 28 with 3506 viewsSwansea_Blue

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 16:46 - Feb 28 by Dennyx4

Yep, and counter to what I'd have expected. But apparently Cardiff are more hospitable and hold regular games. With Swansea I've met a few people who say it's a slog - just lots of training and rarely a match (someone had been there a year and said they'd had 2 matches, and one of them was internal).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 18:10 - Feb 28 with 3491 viewsDebenBlue

There's a lot more to the Charlie Brown move than Chelsea simply poaching him !!
Academy - Is this part of the 5 point plan on 19:15 - Feb 28 with 3294 viewsallezlesbleus

How much compensation did we receive for Charlie Brown?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024