Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich street names 18:13 - Mar 10 with 4631 viewsBarcaBlue

Just saw this posted on Facebook http://www.ipswich-lettering.co.uk/streetnames.html - interesting on Cauldwell Hall Road and Humber Doucy Lane (if you'rte interested in that kind of thing)
Ipswich street names on 18:19 - Mar 10 with 4085 viewsBackToRussia

Weird, I just discovered this site about a month ago after looking up Constitution Hill. I spent about two hours completely lost. It's very indepth with the history of Ipswich.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Ipswich street names on 18:30 - Mar 10 with 4059 viewsLord_Lucan

Very interesting. My Road isn't on it but I have a hunch it is something to do with Colchester.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ipswich street names on 18:33 - Mar 10 with 4037 viewsDubtractor

Ipswich street names on 18:30 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

Very interesting. My Road isn't on it but I have a hunch it is something to do with Colchester.

You on Colchester Road then?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Ipswich street names on 18:36 - Mar 10 with 4025 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich street names on 18:33 - Mar 10 by Dubtractor

You on Colchester Road then?

Was it that obvious

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Ipswich street names on 18:36 - Mar 10 with 4024 viewsDubtractor

Mine isn't on there, but I know the history as our small street used to be the garden of a really big house before the owner ran into money troubles in the 30s so the garden was turned into houses and the big house is now flats.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Ipswich street names on 18:38 - Mar 10 with 4008 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich street names on 18:36 - Mar 10 by Dubtractor

Mine isn't on there, but I know the history as our small street used to be the garden of a really big house before the owner ran into money troubles in the 30s so the garden was turned into houses and the big house is now flats.

You live in my Dads garden then?

Ipswich street names on 18:41 - Mar 10 with 3994 viewsDubtractor

Ipswich street names on 18:38 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

You live in my Dads garden then?

Maybe....

Just off Felixstowe Road.

Ipswich street names on 22:38 - Mar 10 with 3822 viewssolemio

Yes, a good site.

I have a book 'Street by Street - Ipswich' by Carol Twinch, first published in 2006. I must read it again when I get a bit of time.
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich street names on 23:18 - Mar 10 with 3792 viewsThe_Major

That site is a work of ruddy genius. And anyone who has a magnificent name as Borin Van Loon is alright in my book.

Those of us over 35 will remember when Franciscan Way was dual carriageway and instead of swinging right towards Stoke Bridge carried on over where Cromwell Square is now and used to stop at a set of lights on St Nicholas Street. I know they planned to carry it round the town centre in a ring to eventually meet up at St Matthews, but that site shows the detail for the first time.

Basically, Silent Street gets buried under a roundabout, through the Cattle Market, another roundabout with Lower Brook Street, follow the line of Wingfield Street, roundabout at Fore Street, swings north, obliterates Eagle Street, follow Bond Street to roundabout at Majors Corner, then St Margarets and Crown Street (with a roundabout at top of Lloyds Avenue) to meet St Matthews again.

This would have been ruddy awful, like that bonkers ring road in Coventry, and a lot of historical buildings would have had to go. For example, top of Northgate Street: how do you fit a dual carriage way through there without demolishing either the Halberd or Bethesda?
Ipswich street names on 00:54 - Mar 11 with 3741 viewsNorthstandoldie

Ipswich street names on 22:38 - Mar 10 by solemio

Yes, a good site.

I have a book 'Street by Street - Ipswich' by Carol Twinch, first published in 2006. I must read it again when I get a bit of time.

If anybody's interested there's a Facebook page entitled Ipswich Remembers...I've spent hrs on there recently. The reason I'm mentioning it is that someone posted up a few days ago a street census from 1975.... that certainly brought back some memories (if you can remember where you lived in 1975!)
Ipswich street names on 06:10 - Mar 11 with 3695 viewspowinswitch

Shafto Road, is as the document says named after Sir Shafto Adair. He owned Ballymena Castle in Norn Iron, and I am bizarrely somewhat distantly related to him. He gambled the lot away, and wasted it on women, wine, women, and song. I meanwhile grew up on free school dinners and the welfare in the 1970s. I was aware that my grandfather was from money, and that he never worked until he was in his mid 30s. Family then cut him off cos he married my grandmother, who was from the east end of London, and the daughter of a housemaid. Then while in the army I met somebody who knew my grandfather and gave me some documents that told me the whole story of sir shafto and my grandfather's relationship with him. Bizarre. Told my daughter who now likes to tell close friends she is a Baroness.
Ipswich street names on 07:26 - Mar 11 with 3657 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ipswich street names on 06:10 - Mar 11 by powinswitch

Shafto Road, is as the document says named after Sir Shafto Adair. He owned Ballymena Castle in Norn Iron, and I am bizarrely somewhat distantly related to him. He gambled the lot away, and wasted it on women, wine, women, and song. I meanwhile grew up on free school dinners and the welfare in the 1970s. I was aware that my grandfather was from money, and that he never worked until he was in his mid 30s. Family then cut him off cos he married my grandmother, who was from the east end of London, and the daughter of a housemaid. Then while in the army I met somebody who knew my grandfather and gave me some documents that told me the whole story of sir shafto and my grandfather's relationship with him. Bizarre. Told my daughter who now likes to tell close friends she is a Baroness.

So he wasted it all on song then?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Ipswich street names on 07:53 - Mar 11 with 3630 viewsSteve_M

Ipswich street names on 23:18 - Mar 10 by The_Major

That site is a work of ruddy genius. And anyone who has a magnificent name as Borin Van Loon is alright in my book.

Those of us over 35 will remember when Franciscan Way was dual carriageway and instead of swinging right towards Stoke Bridge carried on over where Cromwell Square is now and used to stop at a set of lights on St Nicholas Street. I know they planned to carry it round the town centre in a ring to eventually meet up at St Matthews, but that site shows the detail for the first time.

Basically, Silent Street gets buried under a roundabout, through the Cattle Market, another roundabout with Lower Brook Street, follow the line of Wingfield Street, roundabout at Fore Street, swings north, obliterates Eagle Street, follow Bond Street to roundabout at Majors Corner, then St Margarets and Crown Street (with a roundabout at top of Lloyds Avenue) to meet St Matthews again.

This would have been ruddy awful, like that bonkers ring road in Coventry, and a lot of historical buildings would have had to go. For example, top of Northgate Street: how do you fit a dual carriage way through there without demolishing either the Halberd or Bethesda?

I saw the plans for that on the Ipswich Society Flickr site a couple of years ago, there are some great photos there. There Facebook page is also interesting on the Town.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/300514/the-ipswich-society-on-flickr

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ipswich street names on 08:23 - Mar 11 with 3594 viewsKieran_Knows

My road isn't on there, but pretty sure the crofts area are all named after trees? (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Also, a few of the surrounding roads near the crofts are named after race courses? (Again, please correct me if I'm wrong)!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Ipswich street names on 08:31 - Mar 11 with 3582 viewsDubtractor

Ipswich street names on 07:53 - Mar 11 by Steve_M

I saw the plans for that on the Ipswich Society Flickr site a couple of years ago, there are some great photos there. There Facebook page is also interesting on the Town.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/300514/the-ipswich-society-on-flickr

I love that Ipswich society page.

And re Ipswich town centre planning and that road, it seems as though the council got a few things horribly wrong in the 60s and 70s.

Ipswich street names on 08:41 - Mar 11 with 3561 viewsWeWereZombies

Ipswich street names on 08:23 - Mar 11 by Kieran_Knows

My road isn't on there, but pretty sure the crofts area are all named after trees? (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Also, a few of the surrounding roads near the crofts are named after race courses? (Again, please correct me if I'm wrong)!

And then there are the football team roads - Preston Drive, Everton Crescent, Charlton Avenue, Chesterfield Drive, Tranmere Road, Chelsea Close.

Isn't Rosecroft named after a flower then? And Pinecroft after air freshener?
[Post edited 11 Mar 2017 12:33]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ipswich street names on 08:46 - Mar 11 with 3556 viewsBluespeed225

Ipswich street names on 08:31 - Mar 11 by Dubtractor

I love that Ipswich society page.

And re Ipswich town centre planning and that road, it seems as though the council got a few things horribly wrong in the 60s and 70s.

I joined the Ipswich Society a while back. I think I'm the youngest member at 51! Some great stuff in their archives though, and you get access to some places not normally seen. Worth a tenner a year.
Ipswich street names on 09:01 - Mar 11 with 3540 viewsKieran_Knows

Ipswich street names on 08:41 - Mar 11 by WeWereZombies

And then there are the football team roads - Preston Drive, Everton Crescent, Charlton Avenue, Chesterfield Drive, Tranmere Road, Chelsea Close.

Isn't Rosecroft named after a flower then? And Pinecroft after air freshener?
[Post edited 11 Mar 2017 12:33]

Not sure whether that's a serious or sarcastic response, ha!

Ipswich street names on 11:02 - Mar 11 with 3462 viewsVic

Ipswich street names on 18:30 - Mar 10 by Lord_Lucan

Barrack corner, obviously ;)

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Ipswich street names on 11:06 - Mar 11 with 3454 viewsThrobbe

Ipswich street names on 07:26 - Mar 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So he wasted it all on song then?

To be fair, if you name your kid Shafto he's going to work hard to live up to it.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Ipswich street names on 11:07 - Mar 11 with 3453 viewsVic

Ipswich street names on 08:23 - Mar 11 by Kieran_Knows

What, with names like Larchcroft, Rosecrost, Ashcroft, Palmcroft, Beachcroft? Wouldn't think so. Will be something more obvious; can't think what it is myself, but someone will be clever and know.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Ipswich street names on 11:59 - Mar 11 with 3401 viewsKieran_Knows

Ipswich street names on 11:07 - Mar 11 by Vic

What, with names like Larchcroft, Rosecrost, Ashcroft, Palmcroft, Beachcroft? Wouldn't think so. Will be something more obvious; can't think what it is myself, but someone will be clever and know.

Good point, forgot about those ha! Shows that I know absolutely nothing as ever!

Ipswich street names on 12:13 - Mar 11 with 3385 viewsThe_Major

As far as I can make out.....

Rushmere: Scottish towns
Broke Hall: Sussex/Dorset towns
Ravenswood: Aircraft
Gainsborough: Painters
Cliff Lane: Rivers
Maidenhall: Welsh towns
Stoke Park: Cities with an.abbey or cathedral l
Chantry: Birds
Gippeswyk Park: Flowers
Pinewood: Suburbs of Manchester?!
Westbourne: Suburbs of London
Blakenham Park: Moons and planets
Whitehouse: Irish towns
Whitton: Authors and playwrights
Castle Hill: Tree + Croft

There's also smaller ones. There's motor vehicle manufacturers at the bottom of Lovetofts Drive and not far from that, all the gems (Diamond, Coral etc).

Speaking of Lovetofts Drive, that was one that always baffled me, but apparently there was a house there of the same name. (See also Cauldwell Hall, which I read somewhere was actually a lunatic asylum at one point).

The one area of the town that doesn't seem to have much of a theme is California. I can only guess that a lot of them were named after mayors etc.

I'm surprised we haven't got Roger Osborne Close or John Wark Drive though. Although we might then end up with Nik Kershaw Boulevard, so careful what you wish for.
Ipswich street names on 12:21 - Mar 11 with 3376 viewsThe_Major

Actually, thinking about it, going back to the ring road thing, looks like several places around here tried to do the same as us.

Colchester, Nodge, Cambridge all have big old dual carriageways around part of the centre befire it peters out. Probably for the same reason as us.
Ipswich street names on 13:52 - Mar 11 with 3301 viewsLord_Lucan

Ipswich street names on 06:10 - Mar 11 by powinswitch

I'm loving all of that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024