Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Replacing Marcus Evans 20:24 - Mar 19 with 4443 viewsAxeldalai_lama

So pretty much everyone has agreed that Evans should go and he's clearly not doing enough, but how much will it cost a new owner to do "enough"?

Evans has been (rightly on the whole) criticised for lack of investment in the stadium, the catering, behind the scenes generally, the scouting network, the ticket prices, the season ticket prices, the academy in terms of category 1, and then obviously the big ones of wage bill and transfer fees.

So the big question being how much will be enough to keep a club like ours ticking over in the championship, and then pushing on towards the top six?

It's got to be well over 10 million a year, surely? Especially as the done thing is for owners to subsidise ticket prices by a couple of million a year, and any significant transfer activity will also mean wages go up.

We need to find someone willing to part with over £10 million a year to keep us more or less where we are/ mid table, and probably double that to push us on. Anyone any idea where to find someone who'll be fine with that? I know it's a luxury but anyone not completely dodgy and/or not going to p1ss about with the team and manager every 5 games too?

And all this when Evans is not actively selling.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 20:37 - Mar 19 with 3687 viewsoldbluestu

An owner to put £10 million a year into the club and he won't even own the ground, should be an easy find
Replacing Marcus Evans on 20:41 - Mar 19 with 3663 viewsElderGrizzly

Double it and you'll be close to the funding levels of the majority of the top 6. We'd effectively need somone willing to write off £100m of losses over the next 5 years to have a real shot at it.

Evans just hasn't got the money to compete in this new world of football finances.

I think he should go if he can find someone like that described above, but why would anyone fund a club where they are not a fan to those levels? Especially knowing in the PL you'd be having to spend double or triple that again

They'll never get their money back unless you are looking at a ten year stay.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2017 20:43]
Replacing Marcus Evans on 20:48 - Mar 19 with 3611 viewstractorshark

Replacing Marcus Evans on 20:41 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

Double it and you'll be close to the funding levels of the majority of the top 6. We'd effectively need somone willing to write off £100m of losses over the next 5 years to have a real shot at it.

Evans just hasn't got the money to compete in this new world of football finances.

I think he should go if he can find someone like that described above, but why would anyone fund a club where they are not a fan to those levels? Especially knowing in the PL you'd be having to spend double or triple that again

They'll never get their money back unless you are looking at a ten year stay.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2017 20:43]

He's worth £765m. I'd say he's got the money but not the inclination.
He tried throwing money at it but made monumentally bad appointments.
Now he's got cold feet and no appetite for the club.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 20:51 - Mar 19 with 3594 viewsBlueBadger

Replacing Marcus Evans on 20:48 - Mar 19 by tractorshark

In all fairness, asking someone to put 10% plus of their total worth into something that may not even deliver what you want it to is a pretty big ask.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:01 - Mar 19 with 3515 viewsElderGrizzly

Replacing Marcus Evans on 20:48 - Mar 19 by tractorshark

His 'worth' is pretty much irrelevant. Has he got the cash to do it?

(the answer is no btw)
Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:05 - Mar 19 with 3490 viewsElderGrizzly

Replacing Marcus Evans on 20:51 - Mar 19 by BlueBadger

In all fairness, asking someone to put 10% plus of their total worth into something that may not even deliver what you want it to is a pretty big ask.

Plus of course it's not a one off payment/cash injection. Any 'investment' in players for example, would of course have 3 or 4 years payments to follow on big wages etc.

The game is too rich for Evans now and sadly there is no easy way out that leaves us in a guaranteed better position. Even if he wrote off all the debt for a new owner, the £100m figure still stands if you want to compete with the majority of top 6 budgets and new clubs coming down
Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:09 - Mar 19 with 3468 viewstractorshark

I don't disagree with that. If I won 150m on the euro millions, the last place I'd put it is a football club, no matter how much I love Ipswich.
We could have worse owners than Evans but I would like him to loosen the purse strings a bit.
He's hiding behind FFP but we're not asking him to spend £250m like the Brighton bloke has.
Just give us a few million to invest in the transfer market.
If we persist with the current strategy, will be League One at some point between the next three months and the next three years.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:09 - Mar 19 with 3463 viewsbournemouthblue

Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:01 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

His 'worth' is pretty much irrelevant. Has he got the cash to do it?

(the answer is no btw)

Indeed, you basically need an Oligarch or a Sheik nowadays

Evans has been patient and tried to give his manages time, he doesn't seem to interfere with the on field side of things

His biggest shortfall recently has been a lack of investment, it's a shame he has been unwilling to back MM with the kind of cash he gave Keane and Jewell.

The next appointment will give us a better idea of his longer term plans, it looks as though he wants to go down the Crewe route and simply produce youth through the academy alongside up and coming lower league players.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Login to get fewer ads

Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:26 - Mar 19 with 3393 viewsNo9

Replacing Marcus Evans on 20:37 - Mar 19 by oldbluestu

An owner to put £10 million a year into the club and he won't even own the ground, should be an easy find

He doesn't put in £10 M a year does he?
Replacing Marcus Evans on 22:31 - Mar 19 with 3246 viewsRyorry

What could/would you want to do with £600+million tho? Sure, provide for your family & their descendents (maybe £100m) and same again to charities, plus enough to ensure survival of your current businesses - but that would still leave you with over £300m even after you'd invested £100m in Town! I can't see why anyone would need or want that amount of money - personally I'd find it worrying & a burden; and would just give the vast bulk to housing & other charities.

Edit - just seen the posts above re 'net worth' v actual cash. Ok, understand now.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2017 22:33]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Replacing Marcus Evans on 00:59 - Mar 20 with 3136 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Replacing Marcus Evans on 20:37 - Mar 19 by oldbluestu

10m?

Try 2m by the time we hav sold our best players, put ST prices up as usual, fail to actually finance a capable team and even sell our best youth players.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Replacing Marcus Evans on 01:20 - Mar 20 with 3122 viewsBrightonEye

Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:09 - Mar 19 by tractorshark

I don't disagree with that. If I won 150m on the euro millions, the last place I'd put it is a football club, no matter how much I love Ipswich.
We could have worse owners than Evans but I would like him to loosen the purse strings a bit.
He's hiding behind FFP but we're not asking him to spend £250m like the Brighton bloke has.
If we persist with the current strategy, will be League One at some point between the next three months and the next three years.

Just for clarity. While Brighton chairman Tony Bloom is reckoned to have spent around £250m on the club, that sum included £125m for the new stadium, and another £30m for the training ground. So the bulk was for essential infrastructure, rather than overblown transfer fees and and wages.

Obviously, Town are in a far more secure position financially from having Portman Road council-owned in perpetuity. A new, visible owner who would be able to invest sustainable funding, happy to interact with the fans and be publicly accountable would make a huge difference. I hope you find one very soon.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 01:49 - Mar 20 with 3104 viewspointofblue

Replacing Marcus Evans on 01:20 - Mar 20 by BrightonEye

Just for clarity. While Brighton chairman Tony Bloom is reckoned to have spent around £250m on the club, that sum included £125m for the new stadium, and another £30m for the training ground. So the bulk was for essential infrastructure, rather than overblown transfer fees and and wages.

Obviously, Town are in a far more secure position financially from having Portman Road council-owned in perpetuity. A new, visible owner who would be able to invest sustainable funding, happy to interact with the fans and be publicly accountable would make a huge difference. I hope you find one very soon.

To a degree but I think not owning our own stadium hinders us - there's no collateral for any potential owner to purchase; it's not as though they'll have ownership of a piece of real estate/land in the centre of Ipswich.

We don't want to be a club signing players for £10m apiece and building up a bloated squad for the sake of it. But at the same time we need some progression - at the moment we've hit, at best, neutral and no one seems able to get us out of it.

Good luck for the rest of the season. If you could do us a favour and beat Blackburn, Birmingham, Wolves, Wigan and Bristol City for us...

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Replacing Marcus Evans on 04:40 - Mar 20 with 3033 viewsharlingblue

We really need Marcus to come the front and introduce himself to the fans.
MM has done his best, but is now on the wane, exhausted of losing major players for many a million, having to work with a pittance.
We have had to watch this decline, no entertainment in home games, just dour defensive, no team picked for going on the front foot for a win.
A half time pie, burger or beer, a look at the screen for half time scores, is greeted with Murphy scoring in last years game, that's an insult. Please start to care for your SUPPORTERS.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 06:10 - Mar 20 with 2977 viewsbrogansnose

Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:05 - Mar 19 by ElderGrizzly

Plus of course it's not a one off payment/cash injection. Any 'investment' in players for example, would of course have 3 or 4 years payments to follow on big wages etc.

The game is too rich for Evans now and sadly there is no easy way out that leaves us in a guaranteed better position. Even if he wrote off all the debt for a new owner, the £100m figure still stands if you want to compete with the majority of top 6 budgets and new clubs coming down

The game may be too rich for Evans now but I would contend that he had the chance to make a serious attempt at promotion when the whole matter got out of his reach. He has allowed himself to recieve poor council from whoever was advising him about strategy and managers and failed to incrementaly invest on the back of transfers out of the club. We all saw that FFP was probably going to be a farce and what would be the impact of the parachute payments how come he didn't ? One of his biggest failings was not to make one last push after the playoffs with Norwich and build on that season.

If we go down the youth development and lower league players then we still run as much risk of dropping a league and having any gems picked off by clubs higher up the food chain leaving us in limbo in a lower league. At the moment our outlook seems to be simply survival in this league which the way things are in the championship will result inevitably in relegation and it will be a long, long way back. I don't see us as a Coventry or Charlton but more like a Sheffield Utd.

There are worse owners than Evans out there but boy does he need some sound advice about the way forward because he looks clueless in all departments on and off the pitch.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 06:28 - Mar 20 with 2946 viewsBenters

Just imagine if in Jan 2015 ME had shown a little more ambition,we were sitting pretty then .

We could have gone up one way or the other,the rewards for a season at least in the top flight would have been well worth the gamble.

Now look at us,a couple of poor transfer windows on,its has finally caught up with us and now we are struggling at the wrong end of the table .

Sad times to be a town supporter im affraid.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:00 - Mar 20 with 2831 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:26 - Mar 19 by No9

He doesn't put in £10 M a year does he?

That's the point of this thread. No one has said Evans puts in £10 million, just that it is at least what any new owner would need to put in to keep us on an average footing.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:03 - Mar 20 with 2817 viewsMJallday

Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:00 - Mar 20 by Axeldalai_lama

That's the point of this thread. No one has said Evans puts in £10 million, just that it is at least what any new owner would need to put in to keep us on an average footing.

we simply need to sent the TWTD ladies on a factfinding tour of China and Dubai

surely if we send the good looking ones, not the munters, we'll be in with a chance of hooking the right billionaire.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:06 - Mar 20 with 2808 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Replacing Marcus Evans on 00:59 - Mar 20 by The_Romford_Blue

10m?

Try 2m by the time we hav sold our best players, put ST prices up as usual, fail to actually finance a capable team and even sell our best youth players.

Again, no one has said Evans has put in any where near £10 million a year, every thread discussing Evans and the ownership of this club doesn't have to involve ripping him to shreds, he's been a pretty rubbish owner the last few years at least and hasn't invested, we can all agree. The point was what will it take from a new owner to keep us on an average footing?
You've addressed areas where Evans "saved" money, if a new owner was to come in they would need to put money into not selling our best players, not putting up tickets/ ST's not selling our youth players, as well as investing in stadium, catering, behind the scenes, scouting, academy, and massively in wages and transfer fees.
Lots and lots of money, around 10 million a year for starters.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:18 - Mar 20 with 2773 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Replacing Marcus Evans on 01:20 - Mar 20 by BrightonEye

That all sounds a wonderful eutopian view of the potential future but it's not grounded in reality is it?
"invest sustainable funding"?!
Sustainable how? Basically sustainable as in X million quid is what the owner will lose each and every year until they decide to take their ball and go home. That figure is averagely large (10 million or so) to keep us treading water, large(20 million or so) to give us a chance at top 6, or astronomical(30 million or so) to attempt to compete with the big boys.
The reality is the fans through tickets now pay a relatively small amount of a clubs turnover, even with full stadiums. Wages are higher than all income in most clubs in this league, that's all income, not just ticket sales. Ticket prices are now being subsidised a la Huddersfield, to the tune of a couple of million, without even starting to think about increased wage bills and transfer fees.
Modern football is a financial nightmare thanks to billionaire owners and parachute payments, and the only way to compete is to get a billionaire owner and then ask/tell them to invest more and more and more.
All very depressing.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:20 - Mar 20 with 2755 viewstaximan

Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:18 - Mar 20 by Axeldalai_lama

That all sounds a wonderful eutopian view of the potential future but it's not grounded in reality is it?
Sustainable how? Basically sustainable as in X million quid is what the owner will lose each and every year until they decide to take their ball and go home. That figure is averagely large (10 million or so) to keep us treading water, large(20 million or so) to give us a chance at top 6, or astronomical(30 million or so) to attempt to compete with the big boys.
The reality is the fans through tickets now pay a relatively small amount of a clubs turnover, even with full stadiums. Wages are higher than all income in most clubs in this league, that's all income, not just ticket sales. Ticket prices are now being subsidised a la Huddersfield, to the tune of a couple of million, without even starting to think about increased wage bills and transfer fees.
Modern football is a financial nightmare thanks to billionaire owners and parachute payments, and the only way to compete is to get a billionaire owner and then ask/tell them to invest more and more and more.
All very depressing.

or have a 5 year plan

as explained recently by saint marcus
Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:48 - Mar 20 with 2696 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:09 - Mar 19 by tractorshark

does anyone know when the FFP thing with QPR gets sorted?

Surely if it goes the way of QPR then ME hasn't got FFP to hide behind and we will know his full intentions.

my bet is he will carry on as he is and we will slowly fade away.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:54 - Mar 20 with 2677 viewsitfcjoe

Replacing Marcus Evans on 21:09 - Mar 19 by bournemouthblue

Indeed, you basically need an Oligarch or a Sheik nowadays

Evans has been patient and tried to give his manages time, he doesn't seem to interfere with the on field side of things

His biggest shortfall recently has been a lack of investment, it's a shame he has been unwilling to back MM with the kind of cash he gave Keane and Jewell.

The next appointment will give us a better idea of his longer term plans, it looks as though he wants to go down the Crewe route and simply produce youth through the academy alongside up and coming lower league players.

The problem is the plan set out, isn't one that is going to compete at the top end of the Championship, or even in the Championship, without some fantastic management alongside it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:54 - Mar 20 with 2680 viewsRegencyBlue

Replacing Marcus Evans on 01:49 - Mar 20 by pointofblue

To a degree but I think not owning our own stadium hinders us - there's no collateral for any potential owner to purchase; it's not as though they'll have ownership of a piece of real estate/land in the centre of Ipswich.

We don't want to be a club signing players for £10m apiece and building up a bloated squad for the sake of it. But at the same time we need some progression - at the moment we've hit, at best, neutral and no one seems able to get us out of it.

Good luck for the rest of the season. If you could do us a favour and beat Blackburn, Birmingham, Wolves, Wigan and Bristol City for us...

In some respects I'm glad we don't own our stadium or no doubt it would have been 'transferred' off to another corporate Evans entity by now, in the same way as the training ground has been.
Replacing Marcus Evans on 09:06 - Mar 20 with 2652 viewsBent_double

Replacing Marcus Evans on 08:18 - Mar 20 by Axeldalai_lama

All very depressing.

Great post.

I'm becoming more and more uncomfortable with the idea of another billionaire (ME / Russian) owning our club just so we can compete and try to get into the PL.

I've said before that the way football is going is unsustainable, apart from a small number of clubs who will always make money, the rest of us are just fighting for the scraps. If the PL were to announce tomorrow that there will be no promotion/relegation to or from the PL starting next season, I wouldn't be too bothered.

The court case between the FL and QPR was supposed to be resolved this month, well there are just 11 days left, will that be resolved or not, who knows?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024