Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' 14:52 - Mar 21 with 2797 viewsGavTWTD

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 14:57 - Mar 21 with 1795 viewsGlasgowBlue

Keep up Gav ;-)

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/401863/3560470/trumps-latest-travel-ban.../#post3560

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:03 - Mar 21 with 1764 viewsGavTWTD

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 14:57 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Keep up Gav ;-)

http://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/401863/3560470/trumps-latest-travel-ban.../#post3560

I think it's worth a thread on its own as many will have missed it.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:07 - Mar 21 with 1745 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I can manage without a laptop for a couple of hours.

Not a problem if it helps combat a perceived risk.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:10 - Mar 21 with 1727 viewsDolly2.0

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:07 - Mar 21 by Marshalls_Mullet

What if you need it for business when you land?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:11 - Mar 21 with 1715 viewsGlasgowBlue

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:10 - Mar 21 by Dolly2.0

Tough if it makes security better.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:20 - Mar 21 with 1689 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:10 - Mar 21 by Dolly2.0

Get them out of the hold?!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:20 - Mar 21 with 1694 viewsITFC_Forever

Ker-ching for the airlines.

And a pain in the backside for those of us who have to travel for work.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:27 - Mar 21 with 1661 viewsElderGrizzly

It doesn't help a great deal as I covered on the other thread (and copied below). It's rushed and ill thought through

If the issue is bombs in laptops or iPads, whether the hold or hand luggage is fairly irrelevant. The plane is still coming down.

Either ban them or don't. This right now doesn't actually help anyone, apart from introduce a new risk to damage and combustion of lithium batteries in the hold where a fire is more difficult to detect and control

With only a mobile in the cabin (which is allowed under this plan), I could still detonate a bomb via bluetooth to a device in the hold.
Login to get fewer ads

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:30 - Mar 21 with 1654 viewsYaffle

Forgive me for being thick but as someone due to fly to the US shortly, how does putting said 'bomb risk' device in the hold, make it any less of a risk? In fact, surely thorough checking of such devices in hand luggage is safer?
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:32 - Mar 21 with 1640 viewsElderGrizzly

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:20 - Mar 21 by ITFC_Forever

Ker-ching for the airlines.

And a pain in the backside for those of us who have to travel for work.

Agree it's a pain in the arse as I travel to those countries affected regularly for work.

But it's likely to be only a handful of countries and potentially only certain airports in a country too.

Airlines will waive fees for baggage in situations like this normally and they don't really want hold luggage either. It's a pain for them.
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:33 - Mar 21 with 1632 viewsTollycobbold

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:30 - Mar 21 by Yaffle

Forgive me for being thick but as someone due to fly to the US shortly, how does putting said 'bomb risk' device in the hold, make it any less of a risk? In fact, surely thorough checking of such devices in hand luggage is safer?

It's less likely to make a bomb with your toothpaste and shampoo. Those well known explosives.
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:33 - Mar 21 with 1634 viewsGavTWTD

I prefer to keep it with me as I don't trust baggage handlers to throw it around and damage it.

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:34 - Mar 21 with 1625 viewsSarge

If you try and pick holes in anything the Trump administration or the TSA does you won't be left with much.
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:36 - Mar 21 with 1602 viewsgiant_stow

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:27 - Mar 21 by ElderGrizzly

It doesn't help a great deal as I covered on the other thread (and copied below). It's rushed and ill thought through

If the issue is bombs in laptops or iPads, whether the hold or hand luggage is fairly irrelevant. The plane is still coming down.

Either ban them or don't. This right now doesn't actually help anyone, apart from introduce a new risk to damage and combustion of lithium batteries in the hold where a fire is more difficult to detect and control

With only a mobile in the cabin (which is allowed under this plan), I could still detonate a bomb via bluetooth to a device in the hold.

maybe they're worried about something that comes in a laptop normally, but would need to be taken out and combined with something else by hand? hence put it in the hold? just a thought.

edit: must be the battery innit? That would be bigger than a mobile's so would make sense?
[Post edited 21 Mar 2017 15:37]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:36 - Mar 21 with 1599 viewsElderGrizzly

You won't be affected flying to the US (unless it's from one of these countries).

BA or Virgin to US will be unaffected from the UK.

On your explosive point, see my other post :o)
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:42 - Mar 21 with 1557 viewsElderGrizzly

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:36 - Mar 21 by giant_stow

maybe they're worried about something that comes in a laptop normally, but would need to be taken out and combined with something else by hand? hence put it in the hold? just a thought.

edit: must be the battery innit? That would be bigger than a mobile's so would make sense?
[Post edited 21 Mar 2017 15:37]

All you need is a phone to do that.

Plus as I said before, bluetooth from a phone to a device in the hold will have the same result
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:47 - Mar 21 with 1511 viewsgiant_stow

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:42 - Mar 21 by ElderGrizzly

All you need is a phone to do that.

Plus as I said before, bluetooth from a phone to a device in the hold will have the same result

I'll stand down!

So why just laptops then?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:49 - Mar 21 with 1497 viewsITFC_Forever

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:32 - Mar 21 by ElderGrizzly

Agree it's a pain in the arse as I travel to those countries affected regularly for work.

But it's likely to be only a handful of countries and potentially only certain airports in a country too.

Airlines will waive fees for baggage in situations like this normally and they don't really want hold luggage either. It's a pain for them.

So when you go through security, how does the security staff know which flight and destination you are heading for?

Or will there be another bag search at the departure gate?

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:51 - Mar 21 with 1471 viewsDolly2.0

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:11 - Mar 21 by GlasgowBlue

Tough if it makes security better.

What is the risk? I don't actually know.

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:53 - Mar 21 with 1453 viewsElderGrizzly

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:49 - Mar 21 by ITFC_Forever

So when you go through security, how does the security staff know which flight and destination you are heading for?

You'll have to declare them at check-in and put them in hold baggage then.

And if you forget, they'll take them off you at security and tell you to go and check them in, or last resort at the gate and put them in the hold.

It will be horrendous, especially as Dubai is likely to be on the list
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:53 - Mar 21 with 1446 viewsTollycobbold

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:51 - Mar 21 by Dolly2.0

Transformers.
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:54 - Mar 21 with 1444 viewsElderGrizzly

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:47 - Mar 21 by giant_stow

I'll stand down!

So why just laptops then?

Because it is a knee-jerk reaction. Part of it is you can pack explosives in a larger space with a laptop of course, but they haven't stopped you bringing it on the plane, just not in the cabin.

If there was a real risk, they'd ban travel with laptops/ipads alltogether.
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:55 - Mar 21 with 1440 viewsGavTWTD

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:49 - Mar 21 by ITFC_Forever

Agreed. Either ban all laptops on all flights or none.

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:55 - Mar 21 with 1442 viewsElderGrizzly

UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 15:51 - Mar 21 by Dolly2.0

See my posts - multiple risks and new ones introduced by doing this too
UK 'to follow US flight ban on laptops' on 16:38 - Mar 21 with 1351 viewsGeoffSentence

without tablets and laptops to watch alternatives on, charging to watch in flight films will follow swiftly.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024