Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
High Blood Pressure... 10:47 - Mar 31 with 9161 viewsHarryfromBath

I haven't been feeling all that well in recent months, getting migraines regularly coupled with feeling incredibly tired and letting things get to me. I started getting chest pains last week on top of this so it was time to see the GP.

I know how busy GP's are these days so my surgery has a Practitioner Nurse who can diagnose so along I toddled on Tuesday to see what they could find. She took my blood pressure, entered some data on the computer and then took it again and in hindsight I should have twigged that the first reading was being double-checked.

It transpired that my blood pressure was 184/110 and it was only when I went home and googled these numbers that I realised how bad these are. The American Heart Association defines this reading as a Hypertensive Crisis and all the associated symptoms listed were all too familiar.

They put me on medication and got me back in the next afternoon for an ECG. The nurse took another reading and after only two tablets it was down to 154/94. She said that High Blood Pressure is known as the silent killer but that it is also one of the most utterly treatable conditions.

I am just sharing this to say to everyone to keep an eye on this. I am in my mid-fifties and my Dad's high blood pressure went undiagnosed. This led to a series of mini-strokes when he was 57 and he pegged out with a cardiac arrest when he was 62. The symptoms aren't always obvious and can creep up on you but it can be quickly worked on.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

High Blood Pressure... on 10:55 - Mar 31 with 8323 viewshype313

Good to know, I have to keep an eye as my family has history of high blood pressure.

Did they ask you if you have been busy recently?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

High Blood Pressure... on 10:57 - Mar 31 with 8311 viewsDolly2.0

Glad you got it sorted in time and thanks for sharing the info. Could literally be a life saver!

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

High Blood Pressure... on 10:57 - Mar 31 with 8307 viewsBluebell

Sorry to hear about that Harry. Fortunately you have found out now and are getting it treated.

My biggest surprise is that you are in your mid-fifties. I always assumed you were in your 30s for some reason!

Mr Bluebell had a heart attack in his early 40's. People should be aware of the problems with high blood pressure. With him it was stress related and he was in a very high pressure job. At that time he was also over weight. Fortunately I got him to hospital in time and he was put on tablets and now has his blood pressure checked regularly.

It probably doesn't help you being a busy c**t!
High Blood Pressure... on 10:57 - Mar 31 with 8313 viewsGuthrum

Indeed. A massive hemorrhagic stroke caused by hypertension was what killed my father.

Very good you caught it in time, hope things continue to progress in the right direction.

You've always struck me as such a mellow chap. But running a business (and supporting Ipswich Town) are rather calculated to raise stress and blood pressure.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

High Blood Pressure... on 11:01 - Mar 31 with 8281 viewsMJallday

i feel you pain

about 10 years ago i was getting massive migraines, i was fine during week, friday 6pm without fail, week in week out, id get a migraine , which lasted till about 10am monday
it got to a stage i was blacking out

couldnt figure it out - we even had the house checked for radiation.
eventually it was diagnosed as hypertension through stress. the highest my bp got was 225/150 (i was admitted)

ive been on tablet for 10 years, its now a more managable, 135/100 - weight loss has helped, but its mainly the pills - my aim is to get off them, not sure i ever will.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

High Blood Pressure... on 11:14 - Mar 31 with 8182 viewstaximan

High Blood Pressure... on 11:01 - Mar 31 by MJallday

i feel you pain

about 10 years ago i was getting massive migraines, i was fine during week, friday 6pm without fail, week in week out, id get a migraine , which lasted till about 10am monday
it got to a stage i was blacking out

couldnt figure it out - we even had the house checked for radiation.
eventually it was diagnosed as hypertension through stress. the highest my bp got was 225/150 (i was admitted)

ive been on tablet for 10 years, its now a more managable, 135/100 - weight loss has helped, but its mainly the pills - my aim is to get off them, not sure i ever will.

mine was 220/120

family tradition of blood pressure and all that

been on tablets for years

i'm always 120/80 when i have my medicals
High Blood Pressure... on 11:14 - Mar 31 with 8179 viewsfactual_blue

As a diabetic I'm on medication for HBP as a precaution, as I'm in an at risk group, plus family history of cardiovascular problems. My BP is, as a consequence, that of a 30 year old ( my GP's words).

You're obviously not a really busy cùtn.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2017 11:17]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

High Blood Pressure... on 11:15 - Mar 31 with 8175 viewsSteve_M

Who would have thought that reading and collating the mutterings of football fans could be so stressful.....

Glad you've identified a risk and it is being treated now. Far too easy to put off going to see someone when waiting times are up and the NHS is clearly under strain.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

High Blood Pressure... on 11:15 - Mar 31 with 8165 viewsHarryfromBath

High Blood Pressure... on 10:57 - Mar 31 by Guthrum

Indeed. A massive hemorrhagic stroke caused by hypertension was what killed my father.

Very good you caught it in time, hope things continue to progress in the right direction.

You've always struck me as such a mellow chap. But running a business (and supporting Ipswich Town) are rather calculated to raise stress and blood pressure.

It is early days but the tiredness is already going as indeed is the chest tightness.

It is so easy to think that what are actually quite mundane symptoms are down to work and whatever life sends your way. Christmas, the January sale, accounts and World Book Day means that things are busy in the shop in spring (not to mention elsewhere ) and it is so tempting to say that it is just general tiredness.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

High Blood Pressure... on 12:04 - Mar 31 with 8046 viewsfactual_blue

High Blood Pressure... on 10:57 - Mar 31 by Guthrum

Is what you're saying that ME is in cahoots with the drug companies to make Town fans ill and thus sell more drugs to the NHS?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

High Blood Pressure... on 12:37 - Mar 31 with 7949 viewsTractorWood

Glad to hear you are on the mend. I always thought you were about 30!

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

High Blood Pressure... on 13:30 - Mar 31 with 7839 viewsMJallday

High Blood Pressure... on 11:15 - Mar 31 by HarryfromBath

It is early days but the tiredness is already going as indeed is the chest tightness.

It is so easy to think that what are actually quite mundane symptoms are down to work and whatever life sends your way. Christmas, the January sale, accounts and World Book Day means that things are busy in the shop in spring (not to mention elsewhere ) and it is so tempting to say that it is just general tiredness.

the good news is that on most of these type of meds, you can still drink :)

im personally on amlodipine and perindropil - which seem to do the trick

thers lots of different types, some will make you dizzy. i was on one type that had no affect whatsoever and just made me sleep. these two work for me, but everyone is different

edit - speak with your dr if they are havign adverse affects, i found with mine it was a bit of trial and error. took a few months.
[Post edited 31 Mar 2017 13:31]

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

High Blood Pressure... on 13:46 - Mar 31 with 7795 viewsSwansea_Blue

Regular headaches - check
Feeling really tired all the time - check
Stuff getting on top of me (bad stuff, not good stuff like Holly Willoughby) - check

Hmm, might be time for a check up

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

High Blood Pressure... on 13:49 - Mar 31 with 7770 viewsusm

High Blood Pressure... on 13:46 - Mar 31 by Swansea_Blue

Regular headaches - check
Feeling really tired all the time - check
Stuff getting on top of me (bad stuff, not good stuff like Holly Willoughby) - check

Hmm, might be time for a check up

Yes mate, sounds like you should go and have a chat with your quack.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

High Blood Pressure... on 14:21 - Mar 31 with 7704 viewsMJallday

High Blood Pressure... on 13:49 - Mar 31 by usm

Yes mate, sounds like you should go and have a chat with your quack.

yeah sounds like BP.

what i would say is BP is a moving beast., mine varies by about 30% over the day
for about £15 you can get your own machine from ASDA. measure it over the course of the day (morning, afternoon, evening)

rough rule of thumb )for a chap (and this is by no means medical advise, but always what ive been told by dr's)

top figure = 120-140 is normal
bottom figure 80-90 is normal

but the two are linked (god knows how) - but apparently healther/less weight you are - the better.

hth

High Blood Pressure... on 15:34 - Mar 31 with 7626 viewsBlueBadger

Does this mean that you're planning on being a slightly less busy c*nt now?

Glad to hear you're keeping yourself out of my clutches.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

High Blood Pressure... on 15:39 - Mar 31 with 7604 viewspoppiesman

You can buy decent blood pressure machines from the likes of Boots etc
Cost around £30-£40, but well worth it so you can keep check on your blood pressure from home on a weekly or daily basis, if its gets too high or low then you can go to the doctors to get it looked at properly.
We have one and they are accurate.
High Blood Pressure... on 16:11 - Mar 31 with 7550 viewsstrikalite

High Blood Pressure... on 15:39 - Mar 31 by poppiesman

You can buy decent blood pressure machines from the likes of Boots etc
Cost around £30-£40, but well worth it so you can keep check on your blood pressure from home on a weekly or daily basis, if its gets too high or low then you can go to the doctors to get it looked at properly.
We have one and they are accurate.

Yes, check it first thing in the morning and in the evening, sitting up straight...

You have to consider white coat syndrome, mine goes crazy high when i'm in there, same as my Father - mine hereditary I'm sure, yet at home it's not too bad around 140/85 and lower at 135/74 first thing out of bed.......190/100 it can be in the gp surgery!!
High Blood Pressure... on 16:32 - Mar 31 with 7508 viewspoppiesman

High Blood Pressure... on 16:11 - Mar 31 by strikalite

Yes, check it first thing in the morning and in the evening, sitting up straight...

You have to consider white coat syndrome, mine goes crazy high when i'm in there, same as my Father - mine hereditary I'm sure, yet at home it's not too bad around 140/85 and lower at 135/74 first thing out of bed.......190/100 it can be in the gp surgery!!

Very good point, a trip to the doctors nearly always automatically raises the blood pressure anyway, more so when waiting for the result of the test!
People should remember that having very low blood pressure is also dangerous, as it leads to fainting or possible blackouts.
My Dad spent 4 weeks in hospital for pneumonia a couple of years ago, he wasn't allowed out for about another week due to having LOW blood pressure, and he only came out when it raised a few numbers. Low blood pressure can be raised by drinking more water.
High Blood Pressure... on 18:04 - Mar 31 with 7435 viewsPhilTWTD

Glad to hear you addressed it in time and the medication seems to be sorting it out.
High Blood Pressure... on 18:32 - Mar 31 with 7390 viewsPinewoodblue

High Blood Pressure... on 14:21 - Mar 31 by MJallday

yeah sounds like BP.

what i would say is BP is a moving beast., mine varies by about 30% over the day
for about £15 you can get your own machine from ASDA. measure it over the course of the day (morning, afternoon, evening)

rough rule of thumb )for a chap (and this is by no means medical advise, but always what ive been told by dr's)

top figure = 120-140 is normal
bottom figure 80-90 is normal

but the two are linked (god knows how) - but apparently healther/less weight you are - the better.

hth

When Drs were wrestling with my blood pressure they wired me up so blood pressure was taken three times an hour over a 24 hour period. No consecutive readings were the sam, even while supposedly asleep.

I am now usually around 135-145/ 85-95 but also have a slow heartbeat under 60bpm

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

High Blood Pressure... on 18:46 - Mar 31 with 7362 viewsMJallday

High Blood Pressure... on 18:32 - Mar 31 by Pinewoodblue

When Drs were wrestling with my blood pressure they wired me up so blood pressure was taken three times an hour over a 24 hour period. No consecutive readings were the sam, even while supposedly asleep.

I am now usually around 135-145/ 85-95 but also have a slow heartbeat under 60bpm

mine vary wildy. they usually take 3 and do an average.

i find it amazing how many people Hypertension actually affects. much more common than perhaps you'd appreciate

High Blood Pressure... on 18:46 - Mar 31 with 7360 viewsAdmiralFunge

Stay well, Harry.

Poll: Danny Karbassiyoon, or Kim Karbasheran?

High Blood Pressure... on 18:52 - Mar 31 with 7342 viewsRyorry

High Blood Pressure... on 16:32 - Mar 31 by poppiesman

Very good point, a trip to the doctors nearly always automatically raises the blood pressure anyway, more so when waiting for the result of the test!
People should remember that having very low blood pressure is also dangerous, as it leads to fainting or possible blackouts.
My Dad spent 4 weeks in hospital for pneumonia a couple of years ago, he wasn't allowed out for about another week due to having LOW blood pressure, and he only came out when it raised a few numbers. Low blood pressure can be raised by drinking more water.

Mine's always been on the low side too, since being a kid actually (was checked out following dizzy spells).

Good reminder re the water, cheers

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

High Blood Pressure... on 18:54 - Mar 31 with 7331 viewsRyorry

You'd better not go near WotB for a while then - of all the ways to go, being overcome by yellow and green would surely rank as the worst!!

Seriously take care & take it easy

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024