Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spoiling for a fight with Russia 07:34 - Apr 7 with 11413 viewssparks

That was the line used by many to discredit Hillary Clinton. And here we have trumpywumpy launching 59 missiles at Russia's ally...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:37 - Apr 7 with 2748 viewsStokieBlue

I think that's a bit of a cheap shot.

US wouldn't have launched at Syria if they hadn't gassed their own people. Targeted military strike destroying the airbase and with 4 military casualties seems a measured response.

None of us like Trump but there are better issues to attack him on that this. Are you saying that if you are an ally of Russia you get a free hand to do what you like? Obama should have done something the last time it happened.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:38 - Apr 7 with 2740 viewsSteve_M

Oh yes, I remember that one. Used by some normally sensible people too.

Putin I think has fecked up royally, both in his open-ended support for Assad and making such blatant attempts to interfere in the US election. HE can't get out of the first commitment easily and has ensured lasting enmity from many in the US with the latter.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:40 - Apr 7 with 2721 viewsGlasgowBlue

What choice did Trump have? Did you see the pictures of the dead children gassed by Assad?

If this damages relations with Russia then it's Russia's fault. Trump has done what Obama should have done in 2013.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:41 - Apr 7 with 2711 viewsGlasgowBlue

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:37 - Apr 7 by StokieBlue

US wouldn't have launched at Syria if they hadn't gassed their own people. Targeted military strike destroying the airbase and with 4 military casualties seems a measured response.

None of us like Trump but there are better issues to attack him on that this. Are you saying that if you are an ally of Russia you get a free hand to do what you like? Obama should have done something the last time it happened.

SB

It appears that's exactly what Bully is saying. It's Trump so it's wrong.

Iron Lion Zion

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:44 - Apr 7 with 2684 viewsTractorWood

SB

I feared the worse when I saw the news but his response his arguably proportionate. As you allude to, Trump is media target number.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:45 - Apr 7 with 2675 viewsElderGrizzly

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:40 - Apr 7 by GlasgowBlue

What choice did Trump have? Did you see the pictures of the dead children gassed by Assad?

If this damages relations with Russia then it's Russia's fault. Trump has done what Obama should have done in 2013.

Of course the Republicans played a big part in blocking him from taking further action

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/world/middleeast/syria.html
Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:48 - Apr 7 with 2659 viewsGlasgowBlue

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:38 - Apr 7 by Steve_M

Oh yes, I remember that one. Used by some normally sensible people too.

Putin I think has fecked up royally, both in his open-ended support for Assad and making such blatant attempts to interfere in the US election. HE can't get out of the first commitment easily and has ensured lasting enmity from many in the US with the latter.

I stand by it. Clinton was constantly provoking the Russians and had personal history with Putin. Whereas Trump genuinely wanted a better relationship with Russia.

However that has been overtaken by events. Trump hasn't atataxked Russia. He's attacked a regime which gassed its's own people. If Russia is going to support that action then it's hardly Trump doing the provocation.

Iron Lion Zion

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:49 - Apr 7 with 2647 viewsGlasgowBlue

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:45 - Apr 7 by ElderGrizzly

Of course the Republicans played a big part in blocking him from taking further action

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/world/middleeast/syria.html

He didn't need to go to congress. Trump hasn't.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:54 - Apr 7 with 2629 viewsElderGrizzly

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:49 - Apr 7 by GlasgowBlue

I know he didn't. He took a risk to get bi-paritisan support to avoid finger pointing at a later date.

It failed of course, but i'd rather see more thought given to a situation like this than a finger on the trigger straight away.
on 07:56 - Apr 7 with 2622 views_

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:40 - Apr 7 by GlasgowBlue

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:56 - Apr 7 with 2605 viewsGlasgowBlue

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:54 - Apr 7 by ElderGrizzly

I know he didn't. He took a risk to get bi-paritisan support to avoid finger pointing at a later date.

It failed of course, but i'd rather see more thought given to a situation like this than a finger on the trigger straight away.

It's not a full scale invasion. It's taking out an air phase in response to a chemical attack on innocent civilians.

If Assad takes notice and Russia puts pressure in him then it will have worked.

Sitting by in 2013 gave Assad the green light to carry on as normal.

Iron Lion Zion

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:58 - Apr 7 with 2600 viewsBeckets

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:49 - Apr 7 by GlasgowBlue

Perhaps that's why one is called a Democrat and another is called a Republican
Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:03 - Apr 7 with 2570 viewsElderGrizzly

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:56 - Apr 7 by GlasgowBlue

It's not a full scale invasion. It's taking out an air phase in response to a chemical attack on innocent civilians.

If Assad takes notice and Russia puts pressure in him then it will have worked.

Sitting by in 2013 gave Assad the green light to carry on as normal.

A decision supported by Republicans at the time of course
Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:08 - Apr 7 with 2550 viewsGlasgowBlue

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:03 - Apr 7 by ElderGrizzly

A decision supported by Republicans at the time of course

How about we don't make this about American party politics. How wabout we agree that this is a measured response and if it stops any more chemical attacks then we'll done Trump.

Iron Lion Zion

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:08 - Apr 7 with 2543 viewsGlasgowBlue

on 07:56 - Apr 7 by _

Your memory is wrong.

Iron Lion Zion

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:11 - Apr 7 with 2531 viewsWeWereZombies

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:48 - Apr 7 by GlasgowBlue

I stand by it. Clinton was constantly provoking the Russians and had personal history with Putin. Whereas Trump genuinely wanted a better relationship with Russia.

However that has been overtaken by events. Trump hasn't atataxked Russia. He's attacked a regime which gassed its's own people. If Russia is going to support that action then it's hardly Trump doing the provocation.

'Clinton was constantly provoking the Russians and had personal history with Putin'? You make her sound like a jilted lover, I think Hilary had the measure of Putin much more than George W and knew that taking a firm stance was the only course of action. Of course, given your posts, I can understand why you consider that provocation...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:13 - Apr 7 with 2511 viewsStokieBlue

on 07:56 - Apr 7 by _

I think that was a direct reference to ISIS, not Syria as a whole.

I also think it's irrelevant. This situation is entirely of Assad's making, he didn't have to gas those people.

Just heard a diplomat on Radio 5 saying the Russian's should be hanging their heads in shame, they have had 3 years at least to exercise their influence over the regime and haven't done a single thing to prevent attacks such as the one we saw. A few choice words from them could have prevented any gas attacks.

SB

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:14 - Apr 7 with 2501 viewsNo9

SB

"US wouldn't have launched at Syria if they hadn't gassed their own people"

Sorry, I have not found anything but has the UN declared that Assad did it?
Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:15 - Apr 7 with 2497 viewsGlasgowBlue

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:11 - Apr 7 by WeWereZombies

'Clinton was constantly provoking the Russians and had personal history with Putin'? You make her sound like a jilted lover, I think Hilary had the measure of Putin much more than George W and knew that taking a firm stance was the only course of action. Of course, given your posts, I can understand why you consider that provocation...

Hilary Clinton as Secretary of State was involved in attempting to interfere with Russia elections, so that is your personal history.

Anyway, this is old ground. Trump won and Clinton lost so here we are.

Did Trump come in with the intention of worsening US/Russian relations or has he responded to an atrocity carried out by Assad whilst Russia made excuses for them?
[Post edited 7 Apr 2017 8:20]

Iron Lion Zion

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:16 - Apr 7 with 2487 viewsGlasgowBlue

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:13 - Apr 7 by StokieBlue

I think that was a direct reference to ISIS, not Syria as a whole.

I also think it's irrelevant. This situation is entirely of Assad's making, he didn't have to gas those people.

Just heard a diplomat on Radio 5 saying the Russian's should be hanging their heads in shame, they have had 3 years at least to exercise their influence over the regime and haven't done a single thing to prevent attacks such as the one we saw. A few choice words from them could have prevented any gas attacks.

SB

But it's Trump.

Iron Lion Zion

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:18 - Apr 7 with 2469 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.rt.com/news/325825-sarin-gas-syria-turkey/

Who had most to gain from the use of chemicals , Assad or ISIS etc...?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:21 - Apr 7 with 2451 viewsSteve_M

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 07:48 - Apr 7 by GlasgowBlue

I don't agree there, because the risks in any escalation of tensions between the US and Russia ares so great there would have been far more continuity. There isn't a great deal of non-partisan evidence to suggest Clinton was desperate to do otherwise.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:22 - Apr 7 with 2447 viewsStokieBlue

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:18 - Apr 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

https://www.rt.com/news/325825-sarin-gas-syria-turkey/

Who had most to gain from the use of chemicals , Assad or ISIS etc...?

Russia Today, an incredibly independent source and not at all a mouthpiece of the Russian establishment.

How would ISIS deliver the weapons? How would they know when the regime were going to aerially attack that location? How would they coincide their attack with the exact time of the planes bombing? How would the engineer the spread of the gas which is non-trivial.

It's a 2 year old non-BBC article though so obviously it must be more reliable.

SB
[Post edited 7 Apr 2017 8:23]

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:23 - Apr 7 with 2440 viewsWeWereZombies

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:15 - Apr 7 by GlasgowBlue

Hilary Clinton as Secretary of State was involved in attempting to interfere with Russia elections, so that is your personal history.

Anyway, this is old ground. Trump won and Clinton lost so here we are.

Did Trump come in with the intention of worsening US/Russian relations or has he responded to an atrocity carried out by Assad whilst Russia made excuses for them?
[Post edited 7 Apr 2017 8:20]

Are you sure that you are not getting confused with a bit of obfuscation from the Trump team:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/kremlin-claims-clintons-team-probably-wi

No mention of interference in Russian elections, even the meeting with the Russian Ambassador is probably and that is in scare quotes too!

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Spoiling for a fight with Russia on 08:23 - Apr 7 with 2432 viewsBorisOrTrevor

SB

I like Trump. Speak for yourself matey.

With this air strike he is laying marker, as much about North Korea et al as Syria.

BOT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024