Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge 10:50 - Apr 9 with 3724 viewsGuthrum

The battle which showed the way to the methods and tactics used to win the war in 1918. Also when the Canadian Army came of age.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 11:29 - Apr 9 with 3006 viewsgerard1947

There is an amazing monument to the dead at Vimy Ridge, standing on it you get an impression of just how hard the fighting must have been. An average of 4,500 died each day of the battle. I've been to all the WW1 sites in France and Belgium it was this one that stands out.
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 11:44 - Apr 9 with 2990 viewsimsureazzure

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 11:29 - Apr 9 by gerard1947

There is an amazing monument to the dead at Vimy Ridge, standing on it you get an impression of just how hard the fighting must have been. An average of 4,500 died each day of the battle. I've been to all the WW1 sites in France and Belgium it was this one that stands out.

It is a awe inspiring monument, when it is visited one realises just how tactically important Vimy was, the commanding view and control of the coal mining areas.
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 11:50 - Apr 9 with 2973 viewsBergholtBru

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 11:44 - Apr 9 by imsureazzure

It is a awe inspiring monument, when it is visited one realises just how tactically important Vimy was, the commanding view and control of the coal mining areas.

Visited it a few years back on a battlefield tour. Very impressive.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 11:55 - Apr 9 with 2958 viewsgerard1947

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 11:44 - Apr 9 by imsureazzure

For any who have not been it is so worth the trip. For arts sake alone the Vimy Monument is worth it, high Art Deco so impressive both from a distance and up close.
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 12:13 - Apr 9 with 2946 viewsFtnfwest

100th anniversary of messines ridge in June. Toying with the idea of getting over there as was the battle my great grandfather died in. No grave only name on the menin gate
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 12:22]
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 12:50 - Apr 9 with 2887 viewsgerard1947

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 12:13 - Apr 9 by Ftnfwest

100th anniversary of messines ridge in June. Toying with the idea of getting over there as was the battle my great grandfather died in. No grave only name on the menin gate

Give it a go. There are Battlefield Tours going all of the time, these have the benefit of a guide to point out things as you go. Personally I much prefer to go under my own steam. I usually hire a car and book a couple of nights. The front covers a relatively small area so it's easy to see much of it from a single centre.

There is a very good book that I use called Battlefields of the First World War, a travellers guide by Toni and Valmai Holt. It describes each battlefield, where to stand, what to look at and where to go. I carry it with me when I'm there.

The Menin Gate Monument is moving, get there in the evening when the local fire brigade play the last post, they do it everyday. On the anniversary of Messines Ridge there will several other families there to remember people they never met but are greatly proud of nonetheless.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 12:52]
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 13:34 - Apr 9 with 2833 viewsFtnfwest

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 12:50 - Apr 9 by gerard1947

Give it a go. There are Battlefield Tours going all of the time, these have the benefit of a guide to point out things as you go. Personally I much prefer to go under my own steam. I usually hire a car and book a couple of nights. The front covers a relatively small area so it's easy to see much of it from a single centre.

There is a very good book that I use called Battlefields of the First World War, a travellers guide by Toni and Valmai Holt. It describes each battlefield, where to stand, what to look at and where to go. I carry it with me when I'm there.

The Menin Gate Monument is moving, get there in the evening when the local fire brigade play the last post, they do it everyday. On the anniversary of Messines Ridge there will several other families there to remember people they never met but are greatly proud of nonetheless.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 12:52]

Many thanks for the references g, may well go for it
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 13:47 - Apr 9 with 2815 viewsimsureazzure

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 13:34 - Apr 9 by Ftnfwest

Arras is decent, also the twin town of Ipswich, the Suffolk regiment were very active there.
Login to get fewer ads

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 13:58 - Apr 9 with 2804 viewsgtsb1966

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 11:29 - Apr 9 by gerard1947

For me Thiepval is the most awe inspiring thing I've ever seen. The ceremony at the Menin Gate was an experience I'll never forget. The whole battlefields tour i did was very sobering. The memorial to the South Africans at Delville Wood is something else to behold too.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 14:03]
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 14:31 - Apr 9 with 2773 viewsgerard1947

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 13:58 - Apr 9 by gtsb1966

For me Thiepval is the most awe inspiring thing I've ever seen. The ceremony at the Menin Gate was an experience I'll never forget. The whole battlefields tour i did was very sobering. The memorial to the South Africans at Delville Wood is something else to behold too.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 14:03]

I went to Deville Wood about this time of year. Such a peaceful, pretty place now, not at all like 100 years ago. There were lots of bluebells and fallow deer I remember. I picked a bluebell and placed it in the book I had with me. Just looked ... it's still there, quite brown now.

Signs of what happened are still to be seen, I once spent time kicking over soil in a farmers field, I found pieces of shrapnel and a 303 bullet tip. Unexplored shells are often found and farmers still die unfortunately. There are stone signs where farmers leave shells to be collected, they call it the iron harvest.
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 14:33 - Apr 9 with 2775 viewsGuthrum

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 12:13 - Apr 9 by Ftnfwest

My grandfather was, as far as I can tell (many records were destroyed by German bombs during the Second World War, but his unit was present), at Vimy and then Ypres (during a later phase than Messines).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 14:54 - Apr 9 with 2744 viewsgtsb1966

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 14:31 - Apr 9 by gerard1947

I went to Deville Wood about this time of year. Such a peaceful, pretty place now, not at all like 100 years ago. There were lots of bluebells and fallow deer I remember. I picked a bluebell and placed it in the book I had with me. Just looked ... it's still there, quite brown now.

Signs of what happened are still to be seen, I once spent time kicking over soil in a farmers field, I found pieces of shrapnel and a 303 bullet tip. Unexplored shells are often found and farmers still die unfortunately. There are stone signs where farmers leave shells to be collected, they call it the iron harvest.

We saw shells the farmers had ploughed up and they then put them in the crevices of the lamp posts. The bomb squad come round once a month and take them away. We were told at Delville Wood approximately 4000 South Africans went in and about 400 came out in four days. At one stage 400 shells an hour were hitting the wood. I couldn't get my head around the size of the Lochnagar bomb crater. The depth is unbelievable.
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 15:15 - Apr 9 with 2718 viewsgerard1947

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 14:54 - Apr 9 by gtsb1966

We saw shells the farmers had ploughed up and they then put them in the crevices of the lamp posts. The bomb squad come round once a month and take them away. We were told at Delville Wood approximately 4000 South Africans went in and about 400 came out in four days. At one stage 400 shells an hour were hitting the wood. I couldn't get my head around the size of the Lochnagar bomb crater. The depth is unbelievable.

The Lochnagar crater was caused by one of a series of mines detonated in sequence at the start of the Somme offensive. It is said the explosions could be heard in London. Many hundreds of Germans were vaporised as the mines were detonated. Miners had taken months to dig and prime them. They went up one at a time over several miles, the German troops could see them creeping across the countryside but could do nothing to escape.
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 15:46 - Apr 9 with 2690 viewsBergholtBru

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 13:34 - Apr 9 by Ftnfwest

Leger Tours are very good, if you want an organised trip.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 15:59 - Apr 9 with 2679 viewsgtsb1966

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 15:46 - Apr 9 by BergholtBru

Leger Tours are very good, if you want an organised trip.

That's who I went with. £329 for the three night package. Excellent value. https://www.leger.co.uk/battlefields/tours/all-quiet-western-front
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 16:01]
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 16:45 - Apr 9 with 2655 viewsMullet

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

"Blueprint for Armageddon" is 15-20 hours over 5 parts covering before and during and a bit after WW1.

Carlin is fairly "right wing" in terms of history but as an American probably almost a Commie. Found it very interesting and those of you who particularly like WW1 history might find his take thought provoking.

His other stuff on there which is free is also worth a listen IMO.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 17:56 - Apr 9 with 2607 viewsgtsb1966

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 11:50 - Apr 9 by BergholtBru

Visited it a few years back on a battlefield tour. Very impressive.

WW1 has turned into an expensive hobby of mine. I've a good collection of memorabilia including helmets, medals, hand grenades, bugles, gas mask etc etc.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 17:57]
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 18:45 - Apr 9 with 2579 viewsgerard1947

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 17:56 - Apr 9 by gtsb1966

WW1 has turned into an expensive hobby of mine. I've a good collection of memorabilia including helmets, medals, hand grenades, bugles, gas mask etc etc.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 17:57]

Me too, I've got an ever increasing collection that I loan out sometimes, schools, Rotary Clubs etc. Nothing hugely valuable, lots of relics, battlefield finds, family letters, a family diary etc.

It's the medals that cost the money I find, I've just got family ones.
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 18:55 - Apr 9 with 2565 viewsgtsb1966

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 18:45 - Apr 9 by gerard1947

Me too, I've got an ever increasing collection that I loan out sometimes, schools, Rotary Clubs etc. Nothing hugely valuable, lots of relics, battlefield finds, family letters, a family diary etc.

It's the medals that cost the money I find, I've just got family ones.

That is good of you to lend them out to educate. Likewise my individual pieces are not valuable, a few hundred at best for some individual items, but my favourite is this because of its rarity. A Princess Alexandra gift tin. The Princess Mary ones are easy to find but this is rare.
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 19:13 - Apr 9 with 2544 viewsgerard1947

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 18:55 - Apr 9 by gtsb1966

That is good of you to lend them out to educate. Likewise my individual pieces are not valuable, a few hundred at best for some individual items, but my favourite is this because of its rarity. A Princess Alexandra gift tin. The Princess Mary ones are easy to find but this is rare.

Never seen one before although I knew they existed, well found.

My current project is a book I'm putting together using my wife's Grandad's diary. He attested 28th August 1914 and kept a diary right through the war. I'm using his words backed up by regimental records. Finding fascinating stuff, for example he enlisted as a single man when in fact he had a wife and child. Can't understand why, he was due an extra 12/6p per week. I've a copy of his enlistment form he has clearly stated single, with his dad and sister listed as next of kin.

His diary faithfully mirrors regimental records but shows exactly his personal role in battles and the boring bits. I got a bit of help a few years ago from Taff Gillingham, who you may well know.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 19:14]
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 19:59 - Apr 9 with 2508 viewsgtsb1966

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 19:13 - Apr 9 by gerard1947

Never seen one before although I knew they existed, well found.

My current project is a book I'm putting together using my wife's Grandad's diary. He attested 28th August 1914 and kept a diary right through the war. I'm using his words backed up by regimental records. Finding fascinating stuff, for example he enlisted as a single man when in fact he had a wife and child. Can't understand why, he was due an extra 12/6p per week. I've a copy of his enlistment form he has clearly stated single, with his dad and sister listed as next of kin.

His diary faithfully mirrors regimental records but shows exactly his personal role in battles and the boring bits. I got a bit of help a few years ago from Taff Gillingham, who you may well know.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 19:14]

How intriguing. Why enlist as single for less money? Did he survive the whole four years. If he did what a lucky and brave man. Yes I've read and watched some of the Taff Gillingham stuff. Have you heard of Toc H in Popperinge? It was started by the Reverend 'Tubby' Clayton . I have an original french helmet he owned and the provenance that goes with it. If you ever publish your book let me know as I'd love to purchase a copy.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 20:05]
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 22:06 - Apr 9 with 2461 viewsgerard1947

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 19:59 - Apr 9 by gtsb1966

How intriguing. Why enlist as single for less money? Did he survive the whole four years. If he did what a lucky and brave man. Yes I've read and watched some of the Taff Gillingham stuff. Have you heard of Toc H in Popperinge? It was started by the Reverend 'Tubby' Clayton . I have an original french helmet he owned and the provenance that goes with it. If you ever publish your book let me know as I'd love to purchase a copy.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 20:05]

Yes he survived luckily, wounded twice, his Blighty one in 1918 bizarrely was playing football against the French! His war was like many others, long periods of boring inactivity with bits of horrible, hard and dangerous action in between.

What I find interesting is the logistics of it all, things like his leave. On the frontline one day, on leave in Norfolk a couple of days later, the next day in Derby to see his wife and son and back in France the following week. Train service in those days was exceptional, even small villages had stations and trains ran during the night, paper, Mail and milk trains all carried passengers.

The plan is to finish the book, I'll probably get a few printed for family and friends, there are companies who do this. My main motivation is to prevent everything getting lost. I'll see how it turns out. I've a friend who will look at it to see if it's worth looking for a publisher.

I've heard of Tubby Clayton, wasn't there a TV programme a while ago.
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 22:28 - Apr 9 with 2436 viewsgtsb1966

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 22:06 - Apr 9 by gerard1947

Yes he survived luckily, wounded twice, his Blighty one in 1918 bizarrely was playing football against the French! His war was like many others, long periods of boring inactivity with bits of horrible, hard and dangerous action in between.

What I find interesting is the logistics of it all, things like his leave. On the frontline one day, on leave in Norfolk a couple of days later, the next day in Derby to see his wife and son and back in France the following week. Train service in those days was exceptional, even small villages had stations and trains ran during the night, paper, Mail and milk trains all carried passengers.

The plan is to finish the book, I'll probably get a few printed for family and friends, there are companies who do this. My main motivation is to prevent everything getting lost. I'll see how it turns out. I've a friend who will look at it to see if it's worth looking for a publisher.

I've heard of Tubby Clayton, wasn't there a TV programme a while ago.

Thanks for that, fascinating stuff. Those four years must have changed his life forever mentally. I have nothing but admiration and sympathy for all soldiers who fought in that war. I went to the site of the first gas attack last year. The launch cannisters are still in the ground. I can't remember the name of the place but it has a superb little museum. Well worth a look. P.s..Just purchased 1st class and a 2nd class iron cross original cases along with a 1st class iron cross.
100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 23:38 - Apr 11 with 2263 viewsWeWereZombies

I have just, belatedly, watched the second episode of 'Britain in Focus', Eamonn McCabe's history of photography from BBC Four on the iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08hznbb

Unfortunately only available for another few hours but there is a passage about the First World War from around 09:45 to 22:00 for those interested.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

100th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge on 23:44 - Apr 11 with 2257 viewsSuperTommySmith

I was at the Toronto Maple Leafs game on Saturday where the first intermission had a very moving tribute to it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024