Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Movie editing buffs... 15:39 - Apr 13 with 2498 viewsTIB

Anyone have any recommendations for movie editing software which would be an improvement on iMovie?

I've used iMovie whenever I've put together a travel video but with a trip on the horizon I'm trying to find some new software to use to improve transitions between shots. I've looked at Final Cut but not keen on shelling out £300 as I'm already shelling out a fair bit on a drone and time-lapse action camera.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Movie editing buffs... on 15:41 - Apr 13 with 2489 viewsIllinoisblue

Apple just brought out a new app, Clips, but sounds like you want something a bit more substantial than that?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Movie editing buffs... on 15:52 - Apr 13 with 2474 viewsTIB

Movie editing buffs... on 15:41 - Apr 13 by Illinoisblue

Apple just brought out a new app, Clips, but sounds like you want something a bit more substantial than that?

I've not seen that so will have a look. My last edit I did I wanted to play around with some of the colours and transitions from shots and there were really limited options so I was hoping there might be something else out there to try.

Movie editing buffs... on 18:04 - Apr 13 with 2427 viewsconnorscontract

A trip on the horizon?

I think you'll be disappointed, don't think you'll ever get there...
Movie editing buffs... on 18:10 - Apr 13 with 2422 viewsconnorscontract

Seriously, though...

What do you want the software to do that iMovie can't do? eg Do you want four different clips playing at once in quarters of the screen? Green screen type effects?

If you're not sure which additional features you want then it comes down to:

Stick with what you know, get the footage downloaded and edited and have a decent record

versus

A learning curve with new software, frustration and possibility of never finding time to finish it.

If the drone and time-lapse footage is a new skill for you, I'd stick to what you know on the editing front, and try and master one new skill at a time. UNLESS there is a specific feature (I dunno, image stabilisation software?) that iMovie will lack.
Movie editing buffs... on 18:14 - Apr 13 with 2418 viewsLankHenners

I'm no expert but I know people who make youtube videos etc. use software such as 'Sony Vegas Pro' and 'Adobe Premiere Pro'. Not sure on price but don't think they're as high Final Cut's price.

Might be worth investigating, as I say, I'm no expert and can't speak from personal experience so not sure how complex it is to use etc. but from watching stuff by people who use either/or the 2 above it looks like you can do some slick stuff.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Movie editing buffs... on 18:26 - Apr 13 with 2405 viewsgreyhound

Movie editing buffs... on 18:14 - Apr 13 by LankHenners

I'm no expert but I know people who make youtube videos etc. use software such as 'Sony Vegas Pro' and 'Adobe Premiere Pro'. Not sure on price but don't think they're as high Final Cut's price.

Might be worth investigating, as I say, I'm no expert and can't speak from personal experience so not sure how complex it is to use etc. but from watching stuff by people who use either/or the 2 above it looks like you can do some slick stuff.

I'm most experienced with adobe premier pro which is fantastic though recently used Sony Vegas and it seemed to have endless possibilities
Movie editing buffs... on 18:32 - Apr 13 with 2387 viewsDanTheMan

Vegas is supposed to be decent, good range of options:
http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio-suite/?cHash=f93edf9e

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Movie editing buffs... on 18:35 - Apr 13 with 2383 viewsMJallday

pinnacle studio

torrent is your friend....

also check out this link - does a good comparison

http://uk.pcmag.com/software/16182/guide/the-best-video-editing-software-of-2017

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Login to get fewer ads

Movie editing buffs... on 18:49 - Apr 13 with 2366 viewsTIB

Movie editing buffs... on 18:35 - Apr 13 by MJallday

pinnacle studio

torrent is your friend....

also check out this link - does a good comparison

http://uk.pcmag.com/software/16182/guide/the-best-video-editing-software-of-2017

Cheers...just came across Pinnacle Studio so will have a read of that article.

In general...I just want some software that I know has greater capabilities than iMovie. I enjoy video editing as a hobby so spending a bit of money on some software that will allow me to add some new features to my videos is all I'm really after.

Movie editing buffs... on 18:54 - Apr 13 with 2358 viewsMJallday

Movie editing buffs... on 18:49 - Apr 13 by TIB

Cheers...just came across Pinnacle Studio so will have a read of that article.

In general...I just want some software that I know has greater capabilities than iMovie. I enjoy video editing as a hobby so spending a bit of money on some software that will allow me to add some new features to my videos is all I'm really after.

let me know what you find - im doing more with my drone at the moment, but im still learning to fly it so footage is coming second to control :)

Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Movie editing buffs... on 19:07 - Apr 13 with 2337 viewsTIB

Movie editing buffs... on 18:54 - Apr 13 by MJallday

let me know what you find - im doing more with my drone at the moment, but im still learning to fly it so footage is coming second to control :)

Nice. What drone did you get? I'm looking to get a Parrot Bebop or a Hubsan 501..need something lightweight and easy to pack and all the DJI's etc are just too big for what I'm after. I've got a small Hubsan at the minute which I've learnt to fly on...I lost two of them in my first week of flying

Pinnacle looks to have some really good reviews and price isn't bad at all. Going to watch a few tutorials and edits and see how it looks.

Movie editing buffs... on 21:39 - Apr 13 with 2299 viewsMJallday

Movie editing buffs... on 19:07 - Apr 13 by TIB

Nice. What drone did you get? I'm looking to get a Parrot Bebop or a Hubsan 501..need something lightweight and easy to pack and all the DJI's etc are just too big for what I'm after. I've got a small Hubsan at the minute which I've learnt to fly on...I lost two of them in my first week of flying

Pinnacle looks to have some really good reviews and price isn't bad at all. Going to watch a few tutorials and edits and see how it looks.

ive got a phantom pro 3. i went for that over the 4 as the pro 3 can be easily modded - the 4 is much more regulated and the difference in spec isnt that much (i think the 4 can go a bit further and faster, but if your flying it 4 miles away you need your head seeing too tbh)

if this links works , it should be to the flight i did saturday , and a decent view over hereford

Movie editing buffs... on 15:41 - Jun 23 with 2056 viewsTIB

Movie editing buffs... on 21:39 - Apr 13 by MJallday

ive got a phantom pro 3. i went for that over the 4 as the pro 3 can be easily modded - the 4 is much more regulated and the difference in spec isnt that much (i think the 4 can go a bit further and faster, but if your flying it 4 miles away you need your head seeing too tbh)

if this links works , it should be to the flight i did saturday , and a decent view over hereford

Just seen this MJ whilst scanning back for software recommendations. Decent flight right there...I'm looking to get a Spark before I go away in August, I only film in 1080p and it's compact/weight makes it perfect for what I'm after...hauling a Phantom 3/4 up and down mountains just wouldn't work.

Movie editing buffs... on 16:52 - Jun 23 with 2029 viewsGeoffSentence

Movie editing buffs... on 21:39 - Apr 13 by MJallday

I am in two minds about drones at the moment, haven't worked out if they are a good thing or not. The technology is undoubtedly fantastic, it is just about as cool as you can get, but I was on holiday last week and there was a drone buzzing the beach and the pool at the hotel for long periods, it felt a bit intrusive.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Movie editing buffs... on 17:11 - Jun 23 with 2021 viewsMJallday

Movie editing buffs... on 16:52 - Jun 23 by GeoffSentence

I am in two minds about drones at the moment, haven't worked out if they are a good thing or not. The technology is undoubtedly fantastic, it is just about as cool as you can get, but I was on holiday last week and there was a drone buzzing the beach and the pool at the hotel for long periods, it felt a bit intrusive.

funny you should say that, we were sat in the garden last night and one flew over, hovered abit (made a noise like a lot of angry bee's) then left

mrs mj said "thats why i dont like yours i feeel like im being watched"

perssonally, im really careful, i never fly over buildings, nor near groups of people. i leave near a massive field so im quite lucky. but flying them over a beach isnt really on. ive put mine out to sea, but i chickened out going too far in case it fell in.

Movie editing buffs... on 11:16 - Jun 24 with 1960 viewsTIB

Movie editing buffs... on 17:11 - Jun 23 by MJallday

funny you should say that, we were sat in the garden last night and one flew over, hovered abit (made a noise like a lot of angry bee's) then left

mrs mj said "thats why i dont like yours i feeel like im being watched"

perssonally, im really careful, i never fly over buildings, nor near groups of people. i leave near a massive field so im quite lucky. but flying them over a beach isnt really on. ive put mine out to sea, but i chickened out going too far in case it fell in.

I'm much the same, take them away from housing areas as having something buzzing over head which could potentially have a camera wouldn't be the nicest thing to experience. The next drone purchase will be specifically for filming on trips away...use it where I can get better shots from the air. I was watching some videos yesterday of "drone near misses with planes" and some of the drones were ridiculously high up and you have to question whether all the folk doing that realise just what impact it could have if a plane was to run into their drone.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024