Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Contract situations 13:13 - Apr 18 with 3359 viewsReuser_is_God

Why on earth have we taken our option of an extra year on Dean Gerken's contract but not that of Luke Chambers'?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Contract situations on 13:14 - Apr 18 with 1816 viewshype313

He's cheap?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Contract situations on 13:14 - Apr 18 with 1811 viewsReuser_is_God

Contract situations on 13:14 - Apr 18 by hype313

He's cheap?

I'd imagine this extra year is on the same wage.

Surely we can't be cutting our budget?!

Evans out

Contract situations on 13:16 - Apr 18 with 1799 viewshype313

Contract situations on 13:14 - Apr 18 by Reuser_is_God

I'd imagine this extra year is on the same wage.

Surely we can't be cutting our budget?!

To be honest, there are keepers in the Isthiman league who could do Gerks job, so securing him for another year knowing full well he'd sign is easy to get done.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Contract situations on 13:18 - Apr 18 with 1772 viewsReuser_is_God

Contract situations on 13:16 - Apr 18 by hype313

To be honest, there are keepers in the Isthiman league who could do Gerks job, so securing him for another year knowing full well he'd sign is easy to get done.

But the extra year was signed for when they signed the contract originally. All ITFC have to do is say to Chambers 'We're exercising our right to extend your contract for another year'

Then if someone else wants him/he wants to leave then they'll have to pay for him. If he ends up leaving on a free then it's a joke.

Evans out

Contract situations on 13:19 - Apr 18 with 1768 viewsjpring89

Gerkens not that bad to be fair. Chambers might be off maybe ? Now were safe we may see a bit of movement where players are concerned and Team selections for the rest of the season.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Contract situations on 13:20 - Apr 18 with 1755 viewsReuser_is_God

Contract situations on 13:19 - Apr 18 by jpring89

Gerkens not that bad to be fair. Chambers might be off maybe ? Now were safe we may see a bit of movement where players are concerned and Team selections for the rest of the season.

Even if Chambers is off why do we not exercise our right to extend his deal & get a fee for him?

Or are ITFC powers that be genuinely thick?

Evans out

Contract situations on 13:22 - Apr 18 with 1737 viewsKieran_Knows

Contract situations on 13:18 - Apr 18 by Reuser_is_God

But the extra year was signed for when they signed the contract originally. All ITFC have to do is say to Chambers 'We're exercising our right to extend your contract for another year'

Then if someone else wants him/he wants to leave then they'll have to pay for him. If he ends up leaving on a free then it's a joke.

I imagine a few things will become a lot clearer in the next couple of weeks. I presume we've been waiting till were 100% safe to sort out any complex contract situations.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Contract situations on 13:26 - Apr 18 with 1700 viewsReuser_is_God

Contract situations on 13:22 - Apr 18 by Kieran_Knows

I imagine a few things will become a lot clearer in the next couple of weeks. I presume we've been waiting till were 100% safe to sort out any complex contract situations.

But it's not complex though is it?

ITFC exercise their right to extend the contract of said player by a year, job done.

Even if Chambers does want to leave you still take the option & get a fee for him no matter how small? We need all the money we can get.

If it was down to me I'd extend Chambers deal by 3 years with a nice little pay rise.

Evans out

Login to get fewer ads

Contract situations on 13:26 - Apr 18 with 1723 viewsPhilTWTD

I think the interest from Cardiff in January led to promises regarding the offer of a new deal being made with the option being taken the first step.

Re Chambo, ME and the players' representatives were due to start talks in March, so I assume there have been discussions by now.
Contract situations on 13:27 - Apr 18 with 1688 viewsNo9

Contract situations on 13:26 - Apr 18 by PhilTWTD

I think the interest from Cardiff in January led to promises regarding the offer of a new deal being made with the option being taken the first step.

Re Chambo, ME and the players' representatives were due to start talks in March, so I assume there have been discussions by now.

Do you get the impression the skipper is preparing to get his bags packed?
Contract situations on 13:30 - Apr 18 with 1674 viewsKieran_Knows

Contract situations on 13:26 - Apr 18 by Reuser_is_God

But it's not complex though is it?

ITFC exercise their right to extend the contract of said player by a year, job done.

Even if Chambers does want to leave you still take the option & get a fee for him no matter how small? We need all the money we can get.

If it was down to me I'd extend Chambers deal by 3 years with a nice little pay rise.

In my opinion, I think the delay has all been dependent on if we stayed up or not. Whilst exercising the option is all well and good (and should be done regardless), one presumes that would mean he would stay on what he is already on, meaning if we went down, he'd take a fair percentage of our wage bill up, and also being difficult to move on (for a fee anyway).

As I say, I think things will become a little clearer in the next couple of weeks. 2 year deal with another years option in it is my guess.

Contract situations on 13:30 - Apr 18 with 1677 viewsReuser_is_God

Why are they having talks though? The terms of the year extension were all ready agreed when the original deal was signed.

The club shouldn't even be talking to him, they should be telling him they've taken the option. Then talks can't commence about a further deal thereafter.

As Mick would say, it's bonkers.

Evans out

Assume that the length of contract..... on 13:33 - Apr 18 with 1656 viewsBloots

....is the real sticking point with Chambo?

We need to get this sorted out, he's vital.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Contract situations on 13:36 - Apr 18 with 1631 viewsReuser_is_God

Contract situations on 13:30 - Apr 18 by Kieran_Knows

In my opinion, I think the delay has all been dependent on if we stayed up or not. Whilst exercising the option is all well and good (and should be done regardless), one presumes that would mean he would stay on what he is already on, meaning if we went down, he'd take a fair percentage of our wage bill up, and also being difficult to move on (for a fee anyway).

As I say, I think things will become a little clearer in the next couple of weeks. 2 year deal with another years option in it is my guess.

True on the divisional status part, but surely we have relegation clauses in contracts too?

Evans out

Contract situations on 13:36 - Apr 18 with 1629 viewsRadlett_blue

Contract situations on 13:30 - Apr 18 by Reuser_is_God

Why are they having talks though? The terms of the year extension were all ready agreed when the original deal was signed.

The club shouldn't even be talking to him, they should be telling him they've taken the option. Then talks can't commence about a further deal thereafter.

Not bonkers at all. ITFC have 3 options - trigger the extension, tell Chambers he can leave for nothing or offer him a longer deal, say 2 years. By triggering the extension early, they lose one of those options so their negotiating position is slightly weakened.
I reckon this may well also be tied up with uncertainty about our League status, Mick's tenure & Evans's ownership.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Contract situations on 13:38 - Apr 18 with 1613 viewsPhilTWTD

Contract situations on 13:30 - Apr 18 by Reuser_is_God

Mick has said previously that no options would be taken up until the divisional status is clear. I assume that applies to Chambo even though conversations have apparently been taking place regarding a longer-term deal. I would guess the club will make moves on the option front now we're sorted.
Contract situations on 13:38 - Apr 18 with 1602 viewsReuser_is_God

Contract situations on 13:36 - Apr 18 by Radlett_blue

Not bonkers at all. ITFC have 3 options - trigger the extension, tell Chambers he can leave for nothing or offer him a longer deal, say 2 years. By triggering the extension early, they lose one of those options so their negotiating position is slightly weakened.
I reckon this may well also be tied up with uncertainty about our League status, Mick's tenure & Evans's ownership.

They can trigger the option to ensure he doesn't leave on a free & then offer a new, longer & more lucrative deal a month or so later.

Evans out

Contract situations on 13:39 - Apr 18 with 1604 viewsReuser_is_God

Contract situations on 13:38 - Apr 18 by PhilTWTD

Mick has said previously that no options would be taken up until the divisional status is clear. I assume that applies to Chambo even though conversations have apparently been taking place regarding a longer-term deal. I would guess the club will make moves on the option front now we're sorted.

Well we took up an option with Gerken...

Evans out

Contract situations on 13:40 - Apr 18 with 1595 viewsKieran_Knows

Contract situations on 13:36 - Apr 18 by Reuser_is_God

True on the divisional status part, but surely we have relegation clauses in contracts too?

You'd think so, although not 100% sure how all those clause things work out. Pretty sure we was doing okay the last time Chambers signed a new deal, so perhaps that kind of clause wasn't put in it?

Wasn't there a thing a few months ago when Leicester were doing quite badly that whilst Vardy and Mahrez signed new bumper £100k a week deals last summer, there wasn't any (relegation) clauses inserted in their deals which could have left Leicester in a bit of a pickle if they had got relegated?
[Post edited 18 Apr 2017 13:41]

Assume that the length of contract..... on 13:40 - Apr 18 with 1605 viewsPhilTWTD

Assume that the length of contract..... on 13:33 - Apr 18 by Bloots

....is the real sticking point with Chambo?

We need to get this sorted out, he's vital.

May well be an issue. It's worth noting that in previous years with some other players the club has tended not to take up options until around this point in the season and have then discussed contracts with their agents over the summer, Tommy Smith being an example last year, David McGoldrick a couple of years ago.
Yeah but that was Gerken.... on 13:40 - Apr 18 with 1592 viewsBloots

Contract situations on 13:39 - Apr 18 by Reuser_is_God

....hardly think he was going to find a better deal anywhere else.

He probably bit their hand off.

Contract situations on 13:42 - Apr 18 with 1587 viewsPhilTWTD

I would guess he's not one of the higher earners so not quite such a big commitment and, reading between the lines of something Mick said recently, I think that the offer of a longer-term deal was agreed in January when there was the interest in him.
Contract situations on 13:42 - Apr 18 with 1582 viewsPinewoodblue

Hasn't Mick also said they intend to offer Gerkin a longer, improved, contract.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

From memory, didn't Forest offer him..... on 13:42 - Apr 18 with 1582 viewsBloots

Assume that the length of contract..... on 13:40 - Apr 18 by PhilTWTD

May well be an issue. It's worth noting that in previous years with some other players the club has tended not to take up options until around this point in the season and have then discussed contracts with their agents over the summer, Tommy Smith being an example last year, David McGoldrick a couple of years ago.

....2 or 3 years in January?

I expect his agent is trying to sort something similar at Town.

Maybe Forest's position is holding things up in the same way ours was.

Yeah but that was Gerken.... on 13:42 - Apr 18 with 1581 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah but that was Gerken.... on 13:40 - Apr 18 by Bloots

....hardly think he was going to find a better deal anywhere else.

He probably bit their hand off.

He wouldn't have bitten their hand off, they wouldn't have even offered him a deal.

They'd have said 'we're taking up our option with Gerken'

Exactly what we should've done with Chambers.

Evans out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024