Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) 10:05 - Apr 21 with 1972 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Somebody asked if I had money in my pocket because if I did I would be financially secure for the year. This was new to me.....and I didn't!
Also, does the ash every come into leaf before the oak ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:24 - Apr 21 with 1942 viewsGeoffSentence

I love it when the cuckoos come. There is a little grove not far from my house that normally has a male cuckoo guarding it as the centre piece of his territory. Sadly, last year he didn't appear.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:27 - Apr 21 with 1937 viewsRyorry

"Ash before the oak, we're in for a soak.
Oak before the ash, we're in for a splash".

Haven't heard a cuckoo round here (N. Yorks) for anout 3 years. At old house, used to arrive & sound off on St George's Day exactly, every one of past 20 years!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:28 - Apr 21 with 1932 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:27 - Apr 21 by Ryorry

"Ash before the oak, we're in for a soak.
Oak before the ash, we're in for a splash".

Haven't heard a cuckoo round here (N. Yorks) for anout 3 years. At old house, used to arrive & sound off on St George's Day exactly, every one of past 20 years!

But it always seems to be the "splash" option.

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:31 - Apr 21 with 1928 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:24 - Apr 21 by GeoffSentence

I love it when the cuckoos come. There is a little grove not far from my house that normally has a male cuckoo guarding it as the centre piece of his territory. Sadly, last year he didn't appear.

Gerrard (on here) recommended the book Cuckoo,Cheating by Nature by Nick Davies which I bought for my Dad. He thoroughly enjoyed it so I will be starting it at the weekend. Unfortunately there are all too many species in decline !

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:42 - Apr 21 with 1915 viewsimsureazzure

Seems quite early, 16th May last year and 15th May the year previous for me in mid Suffolk.
Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:47 - Apr 21 with 1908 viewsm14_blue

How much would you need to be financially secure for the year?

70k?? 250k??
Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:49 - Apr 21 with 1904 viewsflimflam

I back onto ancient woodland and not heard a cuckoo yet but there were several around last year although not quite this early.
I wake up most mornings to a woodpecker pecking away and the woodlands bird population waking up. It is a wonderful wall of noise.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2017 10:50]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:54 - Apr 21 with 1889 viewsGeoffSentence

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:31 - Apr 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Gerrard (on here) recommended the book Cuckoo,Cheating by Nature by Nick Davies which I bought for my Dad. He thoroughly enjoyed it so I will be starting it at the weekend. Unfortunately there are all too many species in decline !

I have it, I also thoroughly enjoyed the documentary he made for the BBC about Cuckoos and some of the lectures he has posted on youtube.

Someone on here, I cannot remember who, walks his dog round Wicken Fen and regularly sees Nick Davies poking around in the reeds.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 11:01 - Apr 21 with 1874 viewsjeera

Dunno.

But I have heard if the cuckoo don't crow, we could be in for some inclement weather conditions.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 15:04 - Apr 21 with 1808 viewsgerard1947

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:54 - Apr 21 by GeoffSentence

I have it, I also thoroughly enjoyed the documentary he made for the BBC about Cuckoos and some of the lectures he has posted on youtube.

Someone on here, I cannot remember who, walks his dog round Wicken Fen and regularly sees Nick Davies poking around in the reeds.

I've not heard one yet, last year it was on the 18th. What I have heard is the bittern, last week it started half heartedly, it was giving it a good un a couple of days ago. It was in a reed bed so close to me. It's an amazing sound more of a woomph than a boom.

Not seen Nick yet, I've been getting out early lately. I'm looking out for his tiny Post it Note flags on the top of reeds. He has a code for marking reed warbler nests.
Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 17:14 - Apr 21 with 1769 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:42 - Apr 21 by imsureazzure

Seems quite early, 16th May last year and 15th May the year previous for me in mid Suffolk.

There's at least one other in the country.....
https://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking

Poor things are in for a bit of a shock though with the cold weather forecast for next week !

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 17:16 - Apr 21 with 1766 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 15:04 - Apr 21 by gerard1947

I've not heard one yet, last year it was on the 18th. What I have heard is the bittern, last week it started half heartedly, it was giving it a good un a couple of days ago. It was in a reed bed so close to me. It's an amazing sound more of a woomph than a boom.

Not seen Nick yet, I've been getting out early lately. I'm looking out for his tiny Post it Note flags on the top of reeds. He has a code for marking reed warbler nests.

Hi Gerard, have you heard the folk lore about having money in your pocket when you hear the first Cuckoo?

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 18:40 - Apr 21 with 1731 viewsgerard1947

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 17:16 - Apr 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Hi Gerard, have you heard the folk lore about having money in your pocket when you hear the first Cuckoo?

Never heard that one. The saying I'd heard is that you will return the following year to the place you hear your first cuckoo of Spring.

Glad your dad enjoyed the book.
Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 18:58 - Apr 21 with 1712 viewsClapham_Junction

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 10:31 - Apr 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

You do can your bit to help stop it though. My Dad has persisted with putting food out for birds and now has at least a dozen species regularly in the back garden. He also leaves all the fallen fruit from the trees untouched with the mower and has a regular flock of fieldfares visiting.
Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 19:11 - Apr 21 with 1698 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 18:40 - Apr 21 by gerard1947

Never heard that one. The saying I'd heard is that you will return the following year to the place you hear your first cuckoo of Spring.

Glad your dad enjoyed the book.

I think I prefer that one, the woman that told me the money one was originally Swiss so maybe it's a Swiss thing.
My Dad is trying to deal with a health related parasite all of his own so to provide him with an enjoyable distraction was great. Thanks again and what amazing work the author has put into his research....he does have a superb office though !

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 20:14 - Apr 21 with 1671 viewsgerard1947

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 19:11 - Apr 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

I think I prefer that one, the woman that told me the money one was originally Swiss so maybe it's a Swiss thing.
My Dad is trying to deal with a health related parasite all of his own so to provide him with an enjoyable distraction was great. Thanks again and what amazing work the author has put into his research....he does have a superb office though !

Wicken still takes my breath away despite walking there thousands of times. It's easy to take things for granted, some days I'll see water rail, woodcock, bittern, marsh harrier, hen harriers (in the winter) short eared owls, bearded tits, hobby, even crane occasionally.
Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 21:12 - Apr 21 with 1646 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 20:14 - Apr 21 by gerard1947

Wicken still takes my breath away despite walking there thousands of times. It's easy to take things for granted, some days I'll see water rail, woodcock, bittern, marsh harrier, hen harriers (in the winter) short eared owls, bearded tits, hobby, even crane occasionally.

Fantastic, we are hoping to visit and combine with meeting up with a very intelligent niece who is at one of the colleges in Cambridge ! When things warm up.

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 21:58 - Apr 21 with 1619 viewsgerard1947

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 21:12 - Apr 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Fantastic, we are hoping to visit and combine with meeting up with a very intelligent niece who is at one of the colleges in Cambridge ! When things warm up.

Lots of people just go to the bit behind the visitor centre. I rarely do, I prefer the rest of the reserve, it's a big site. I read somewhere that it has the most recorded species of all UK wildlife reserves.
Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 08:15 - Apr 24 with 1491 viewsgerard1947

My first cuckoo today, heard him first,saw him and heard him soon after. Last year my first was on the 18th. Hope he's brought his thermals.
Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 11:09 - Apr 24 with 1446 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 08:15 - Apr 24 by gerard1947

My first cuckoo today, heard him first,saw him and heard him soon after. Last year my first was on the 18th. Hope he's brought his thermals.

Only 2 or 3 weeks until my favourites, the swifts, arrive. I wonder what impact this cold snap will have on the availability of insects though.....worrying !

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 11:17 - Apr 24 with 1437 viewsBluebell

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 08:15 - Apr 24 by gerard1947

Still not heard a cuckoo here in Oxfordshire. It was 2nd May last year so maybe not arrived here yet.

We have been hearing it/them for about 20 years in the same spot, always very early in the morning.
Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 11:41 - Apr 24 with 1422 viewsRyorry

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 11:17 - Apr 24 by Bluebell

Still not heard a cuckoo here in Oxfordshire. It was 2nd May last year so maybe not arrived here yet.

We have been hearing it/them for about 20 years in the same spot, always very early in the morning.

Maybe they've been listening to the weather forecasts!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 13:08 - Apr 24 with 1384 viewsgerard1947

Heard my first Cuckoo of the year yesterday (Suffolk) on 11:09 - Apr 24 by BanksterDebtSlave

Only 2 or 3 weeks until my favourites, the swifts, arrive. I wonder what impact this cold snap will have on the availability of insects though.....worrying !

It's things like blue tits with early broods that suffer most in a cold snap. I've had blue tit broods die in my bird boxes reasonably often when this happens. They need live food for their young.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024