Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. 10:49 - Apr 21 with 3344 viewsITFC_Forever

GKs:
Bart - Been excellent for the last few seasons, unfortunately it looks like he'll be gone. £2m and he'll on his way. It'll be a miracle if he's still with us at the end of the transfer window.
Assuming he goes, he'll need to be replaced.
Gerken - Decent back-up, but not good enough for first choice. Poor communication, poor on crosses and parries too many balls straight back in to the danger zone.
Crowe - Will be gone. Hopefully Wright or Marsden will be able to step up, certainly Marsden at 19 should be able to now or he never will.

Full-Backs:
Emmanuel & Kenlock- Been decent this season, well worth keeping and continuing to develop them.
Knudsen - Limited, but decent enough squad player as we can't rely on Emmanuel and Kenlock to play every game.
Spence - Quietly effective addition to the squad and seems to have a good attitude, well worth offering a contract and a solid full-back, shoring up one side of the defence.

Centre Backs:
Berra - Likely to be back up to Scotland.... we've had 4 decent seasons out of him and he's given us good service. Assuming he goes, I'd like to think we'd send him on his way with our thanks and good wishes.
Chambers - Decent enough CB and amazing how much better he is when he's played in his proper position. Need to sort his contract out ASAP, a disgrace this hasn't been done yet and hopefully he felt the love and support from the fans from the uproar when it looked like it might be going in January.
Smith - Still prone to the odd lapse in concentration / confidence / rick / all three at once, but generally another solid CB.
Webster - Excellent prospect who generally looked classy before he got injured. Another one who is still learning and as a result will make the odd mistake, but has massive potential - a CB who can bring the ball out from defence is a rarity in the modern game.
Taylor - Great influence on the pitch and off it, but too injury prone, I could see the benefit of some kind of pay-as-you-play deal if he impresses in pre-season.
Digby - Useful enough as a squad player, but seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order, not sure his long-term future is at ITFC.

Midfield:
Douglas - Almost certainly on his way.
Skuse - Newcastle home game proved there is a role for him in the team, but needs to be surrounded by the likes of Ward and Huws to allow the team to still have enough attacking focus while Skuse is carrying the water.
Huws - Exactly what we have missed for too long. Genuine box-to-box midfielder who can drive the team forward and who has plenty of energy. Sign him up. Not doing so would send a very clear signal as to the lack of ambition at the club.
Ward - Bit up and down this season after an explosive start, but people forget this is his first season as a genuine first team player at his home club (as in not being on loan). Certainly more effective in the middle.
Bishop - Desperately needs to re-find his 2014-15 form or his career could sadly fade away. Injuries obviously haven't helped, so he / we somehow need to get him over them and put them in the past.
Bru - Not sure he'll ever be a regular first-choice, but his passing when coming on from the bench can be effective when the game is starting to stretch.
Dozzell - Excellent prospect, but too lightweight at the moment. Two moments in the season summed him up.... Wigan away, had the ball and was out-muscled by a typical Champ midfielder, grabbed the guy's shirt to stop him getting away and was booked. Then came on as sub v Brizzle City and showed a superb range of passing as the game opened up to move us forward.
McDonnell - Always looks good for the U-23s, but will he ever make it?
Rowe - Needs some game time to see what he can do, but highly rated by fans at his previous level.
Joniesta - Needs game time to see if he's worth putting a cheeky bid in for in the summer.
Dave - Can be a bit and miss, but generally been decent enough loan player.
Hyam - Should not be used at the same time as Skuse, but can play alongside the more creative players to carry the water.

Forwards:
McGoldrick - Class act. The trouble is getting him and keeping him fit, we should build the side around him if we can do so. Benefits from a Murphy-style player to physically engage the opponents defence and create the room for him to play.
Sears - Amazing what a difference some confidence makes gained from playing in his correct position makes.
Pitman - The best finisher at the club, his perceived lack of form this season is due to a complete lack of service.
Moore - Found his level, and it's not in the Championship. Can't head, control, run, move or pass. Bet he can't believe his luck he has a contract at a Champ club.
Samuel - Might have something, but injuries have prevented him showing his best.

Manager: Mick needs to play with the handbrake off like on Monday far more. The awful football we have seen for most of the last 18 months has alienated far, far too many fans for his own good. Very lucky to survive the Lincoln debacle - most clubs would have sacked him there and then.
Unfortunately for him, I think he's lost too many of the supporters, the ST sales may force ME's hand to make the final decision.

Ower: ME puts in £6m a year. All very noble, but unfortunately it's not enough for us to compete at the level we think we should be (challenging in the POs).
No-one is saying we should spend £10m on one player, we all know that's unrealistic for us. But £10m - £12m on five or so decent players of £1.5m - £2.5m each could make the world of difference. Monday showed we have got good players at the club, but we need a few injections of quality to allow us to build a stronger squad capable of competing in the midst of the POs.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 10:58 - Apr 21 with 2253 viewsSteve_M

Yes, I wouldn't argue with very much of that.

We need that injection of quality because a) key players have got older over MM's time here and b) we've sold players and not brought in replacements of the same ability c) any squad needs freshening up to keep players sharp.

A lot of change coming up this Summer, even if MM is still here. I'm happy enough if he still is, with a bit of money to spend, although I fully understand why that will be too much for some fans.

One other thing about Newcastle, part of the fun on Monday (and also against Wigan) was that the opposition came to attack. Far too many teams don't and that just plays into the worst of MM's tendencies - to be too conservative. It's where the extra bit of quality, and belief, we had in 2014-15 made a difference.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 11:20 - Apr 21 with 2198 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

I think we may get £3-3.5 for Bart but agree, I will be amazed if he is still here next season. We must get a good replacement in for him though if he does go as Gerken is no where near the same level as Bart IMO and a decent goalkeeper can earn you 10 points a season if they are good enough.

Huws for me is the most important signing we can make this summer though and if Mick is still here then I at least fancy our chances to sign him permanently. Another manager might not want him so maybe better the devil you know and all that!

Chambers I am sure will be offered a new deal now that we are safe as he has more than earned one.

As for the others I tend to agree, full backs & in defence I feel as if we have good competition, even if we do lose Berra.

The midfield is the one area that I think needs strengthening the most this summer as we look set to lose quite a few fringe midfielders. I actually hope that we are able to sign Williams permanently as he could be a decent signing for us if we can keep him fit and if his wages arent too ridiculous. But with the likes of Dozzell and Benyu coming through, I would be more than happy getting them more involved next season then signing more deadwood players like Douglas/Coke etc.

And I fully expect a striker to come through the door this summer in the Murphy mould as we need an option like that as a plan B as I cant see that Moore is going to be up to standard-I might be wrong though. For me though, keeping hold of McGoldrick and keeping him fit would be good business again this summer. If we can add Samuel and another striker then I think we could afford to lose Pitman as well.

Think its going to be a busy summer, whatever happens with players/managers/owners!

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 11:30 - Apr 21 with 2159 viewsmonty_radio

Depressingly accurate. Well short of a challenging squad on that reading, and could yet be worse if, say, Chambers has had enough and Bart and McG are lured away.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 11:33 - Apr 21 with 2145 viewschristiand

If Bart goes got a couple of suggestions. I read that David Martin is leaving MK Dons at the end of the season has been there a long time, but still only 31 and has a had a decent career, also represented England at youth level. Also, I like the look of Sam Johnstone, on loan at Villa, from Manchester United has also played for Preston in The Championship. Is it worth Ipswich putting in a bid for him? I think he is only 23, lots of potential but will United want to sell?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 11:43 - Apr 21 with 2107 viewsclive_baker

Agree with most of that.

Wouldn't agree on Spence, I'm not sold on him being a solid full back at this stage. Against better opposition in the form of Derby and Fulham he came up well short, although has looked more comfortable in a back 3. Same for Knudsen too.

As you say, Taylor could be an incredible addition if he can prove his fitness. He and Webster could add much needed quality to our back line. While workmanlike, your Berra's, Smith's, Chambers are more grit grind hit the big man, than defenders that lend themselves to a team capable of building from the back.

Huws would be a great addition, looks to have real quality.
Douglas is off.
I don't rate Bru at all.

Strikers - agree completely.

We have the nucleus of a good squad, especially when you consider the likes of Dozzell, Nydam, Bishop etc. 3 naturally gifted players that could be like new signings if the kick on. I just hope Mick can move in and out the right players and adopt a style that's a bit more easy on the eye. It's far from all doom and gloom though.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 11:48 - Apr 21 with 2094 viewsIllinoisblue

In today's inflated market if we only got 2mill for Bart, that would be a travesty.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 11:50 - Apr 21 with 2088 viewshype313

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 11:48 - Apr 21 by Illinoisblue

In today's inflated market if we only got 2mill for Bart, that would be a travesty.

Really? a 30 year old Championship keeper? His value has a certain ceiling and it can't be anymore than £3m at best.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:10 - Apr 21 with 2043 viewsClausThomsen

If we sell Bart for anything less than £6 million we're absolute muppets.

Again.
Login to get fewer ads

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:17 - Apr 21 with 2026 viewsBlueNomad

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 11:50 - Apr 21 by hype313

Really? a 30 year old Championship keeper? His value has a certain ceiling and it can't be anymore than £3m at best.

30 is nothing for a goalkeeper
My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:27 - Apr 21 with 1993 viewsnshearman1

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 11:43 - Apr 21 by clive_baker

Agree with most of that.

Wouldn't agree on Spence, I'm not sold on him being a solid full back at this stage. Against better opposition in the form of Derby and Fulham he came up well short, although has looked more comfortable in a back 3. Same for Knudsen too.

As you say, Taylor could be an incredible addition if he can prove his fitness. He and Webster could add much needed quality to our back line. While workmanlike, your Berra's, Smith's, Chambers are more grit grind hit the big man, than defenders that lend themselves to a team capable of building from the back.

Huws would be a great addition, looks to have real quality.
Douglas is off.
I don't rate Bru at all.

Strikers - agree completely.

We have the nucleus of a good squad, especially when you consider the likes of Dozzell, Nydam, Bishop etc. 3 naturally gifted players that could be like new signings if the kick on. I just hope Mick can move in and out the right players and adopt a style that's a bit more easy on the eye. It's far from all doom and gloom though.

I personally think Taylor is too injury-prone and in the twilight of his career and should go.

Knudsen I'm not bothered about either. I think Spence is worth a full season.

I'd like to keep Dougouraga. Some, like Samuel, Rowe etc, are new players we've barely seen and therefore unknowns.

Berra will be off, possibly Digby, I'd love to send them off with best wishes and invest in a real top-quality CB, what Taylor was 5 years ago.

I could see Bru being let go.

When you think of these plus Douglas, Coke, Best, Moore etc, some 34 players on the first-team books, it makes you realise what folly it's been to pick up so many less than average and often injury-prone players eating up the wages bill and therefore sucking into whatever money we might have had for transfer fees. Disastrous policy.
My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:32 - Apr 21 with 1986 viewsPhilTWTD

Certainly think there'll be interest in Bart but doubt they'd consider £2m. Someone described him as a £5m player the other day but think it's difficult to put a price on players at the moment. He has effectively got two years left on his contract.

Asked Mick about Crowe yesterday and said he's still in his thoughts for the future. Also I'd put Nick Hayes ahead of Wright.
My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:35 - Apr 21 with 1948 viewsSWGF

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:17 - Apr 21 by BlueNomad

30 is nothing for a goalkeeper

David Marshall is probably a decent comparison when he moved from Cardiff to Hull.

Just looked it up, and it was reported as £3.5m. Sounds about right, I think.

We need to be careful with the blue-tinted specs. Bart, despite how outstanding he has been for us, is almost 30, has never played above mid-table Championship, has only played regularly at this level this season and has never played international football.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:35 - Apr 21 with 1944 viewsYallop

We've way too many players on our books and need to clear the decks to reduce the wage bill to bring in at least 6 quality additions. I'd release/ sell

Coke
Best
Berra
Digby
Douggie,
Hyam
Bru
Dave
McDonnell
Pitmam
Moore
and one of Spence / Emmanuel as we need a new better quality RB.
My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:37 - Apr 21 with 1935 viewshoppy

A fairly decent appraisal on the whole.

How would you consider Knudsen if you moved him from the full-backs category to the centre-backs section? He'd looked more of a player when employed in a 3 at the back system, imho.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:40 - Apr 21 with 1921 viewsSuperfrans

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:32 - Apr 21 by PhilTWTD

Certainly think there'll be interest in Bart but doubt they'd consider £2m. Someone described him as a £5m player the other day but think it's difficult to put a price on players at the moment. He has effectively got two years left on his contract.

Asked Mick about Crowe yesterday and said he's still in his thoughts for the future. Also I'd put Nick Hayes ahead of Wright.

I'd be surprised if Bart went, tbh. Keepers don't tend to command big fees and I can't see anyone offering what he is worth to us. Anything around the £5m mark would have to be a big decision, given the points he has won us this season.

Plus, most Prem clubs of any size tend to go for established top flight keepers, or English keepers they can stick on the bench to keep up their domestic player allocations.

This may all be wishful thinking, of course...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:41 - Apr 21 with 1910 viewsLankHenners

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:35 - Apr 21 by SWGF

David Marshall is probably a decent comparison when he moved from Cardiff to Hull.

Just looked it up, and it was reported as £3.5m. Sounds about right, I think.

We need to be careful with the blue-tinted specs. Bart, despite how outstanding he has been for us, is almost 30, has never played above mid-table Championship, has only played regularly at this level this season and has never played international football.

Good shout re: Marshall. I think people are going to need to give themselves a bit of a reality check and realise that 'keepers don't often go for that much, relative to other positions.

£3-4 million would be a good deal realistically, anything more and we're laughing.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:43 - Apr 21 with 1896 viewsSWGF

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:37 - Apr 21 by hoppy

A fairly decent appraisal on the whole.

How would you consider Knudsen if you moved him from the full-backs category to the centre-backs section? He'd looked more of a player when employed in a 3 at the back system, imho.

Knudsen needs to be a sub. Can cover a couple of positions adequately but not good enough to start regularly.

Kenlock, Smith/Berra for the starting positions.

Defensively, I think we're OK (in comparison to other areas of the pitch) if Chambers/Taylor/Berra situations can be resolved/replaced suitably (i.e. not on the cheap).

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:43 - Apr 21 with 1892 viewshype313

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:10 - Apr 21 by ClausThomsen

If we sell Bart for anything less than £6 million we're absolute muppets.

Again.

You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think we will get £6m for him.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2017 12:44]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:53 - Apr 21 with 1840 viewsITFC_Forever

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:32 - Apr 21 by PhilTWTD

Hayes!

Knew I was forgetting a young GK and couldn't think of his name. Thanks Phil.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 13:41 - Apr 21 with 1764 viewsPhilTWTD

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:53 - Apr 21 by ITFC_Forever

Hayes!

Knew I was forgetting a young GK and couldn't think of his name. Thanks Phil.

He's impressed me from what I've seen of him - Joe will have seen much more - and he has the bonus of being half-Polish so potentially another Big Pole in the goal!
My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 13:44 - Apr 21 with 1747 viewsPhilTWTD

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 12:40 - Apr 21 by Superfrans

I'd be surprised if Bart went, tbh. Keepers don't tend to command big fees and I can't see anyone offering what he is worth to us. Anything around the £5m mark would have to be a big decision, given the points he has won us this season.

Plus, most Prem clubs of any size tend to go for established top flight keepers, or English keepers they can stick on the bench to keep up their domestic player allocations.

This may all be wishful thinking, of course...

That is probably the question, will someone offer enough to be worthwhile to us. I could see a Premier League club going for him, not as a starter straight off but Bart backing himself to win a place. I've asked a couple of ex-Premier players - although not keepers - whether they think he's good enough for the Premier League and they thought he was.
My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 13:48 - Apr 21 with 1732 viewsLord_Lucan

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 13:44 - Apr 21 by PhilTWTD

That is probably the question, will someone offer enough to be worthwhile to us. I could see a Premier League club going for him, not as a starter straight off but Bart backing himself to win a place. I've asked a couple of ex-Premier players - although not keepers - whether they think he's good enough for the Premier League and they thought he was.

The problem arises if say we are offered under £3m what do we do?

There is a case for accepting it as an appreciation for his service and let him move up the ladder.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 13:59 - Apr 21 with 1688 viewsRadlett_blue

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 13:48 - Apr 21 by Lord_Lucan

There is a case for accepting it as an appreciation for his service and let him move up the ladder.

I think that while Evans does seem to consult Mick when we get bids for our players, if we got £3m or so for Bart, Evans would see that as good business in terms of funding Town's operating losses & I'm sure Mick could find another keeper, a bit better than Gerkin, who wouldn't cost much.
Doubt Bart would be a starter at a PL club, but yes, I wouldn't blame the club for letting him get one decent contract.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 14:13 - Apr 21 with 1663 viewshoppy

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 13:48 - Apr 21 by Lord_Lucan

Sit him down in front of a DVD of Richard Wright's career highlights, and make the odd comment of how much better he would've done had he stayed with us and not gone to sit on the bench at Arsenal initially...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 14:15 - Apr 21 with 1650 viewsRadlett_blue

My take on the curent squad - FWIW.. on 14:13 - Apr 21 by hoppy

Sit him down in front of a DVD of Richard Wright's career highlights, and make the odd comment of how much better he would've done had he stayed with us and not gone to sit on the bench at Arsenal initially...

Bart will be 30 in the summer. Richard Wright went to Arsenal when aged 23. Big difference.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024