Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? 07:49 - Apr 25 with 8257 viewsSteve_M

One of the great days to be a Town fan.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 08:09 - Apr 25 with 5257 viewsReuser_is_God

No, I was 9 months old.

My dad was though.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 08:34 - Apr 25 with 5219 viewstrncbluearmy

Dancing on top of the dugout which was collapsing,buzzed by helicopters,half the pitch in the minibus,clinging to the top of the minibus for dear life,players nicking our champagne and these are the things I can mention

TWTD

that support still exists, if only we had an owner who know how to tap into it
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:07 - Apr 25 with 5176 viewsRadlett_blue

Who could forget John Lyall's victory speech:
"Please could you all leave quietly".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:12 - Apr 25 with 5169 viewsITFC_Forever

You must have posted this while I was typing my post!

Johnny Lyall's Blue and White Army!

The culmination of one of / the most enjoyable season I have spent following ITFC - as I have said before, it was a coming of age time for me and my mates, all 17 and at Sixth Form without a care in the world, discovering alcohol, trying to discover girls, and ITFC winning pretty much every week.

Around ten of us set off to the Manor Ground on the Galloway coaches and from memory, they only arrived 20 minutes before kick-off, but we managed to find a spot at the back of the Cuckoo Lane terracing.
Magilton scored for them them early on, Gavin Johnson equalised almost immediately after and then we heard news in the second-half that Leicester (and 'Boro?) were losing - if the scores stayed the same we were up and champions.
Final whistle came and I tried to sit on the wall at the back of the terracing - I turned round and the terrace had emptied on to the pitch!
Me and my mate followed and were right by the dugouts when John Lyall came out and made his way to the PA box to tell everyone to go home - not that we heard him as everyone was banging on the glass while he was speaking.

We headed home and waved to the blue and white multitudes on the streets of Oxford and on the motorways, a certain T Swallow was stood through the sun-roof of a car holding up an ITFC Union Jack on the M25 as the car he was in went past the coaches.

When we got back to Ipswich, we headed straight to the Drum and Monkey (we knew 17 year olds would get served in there) for a couple of beers in celebration.

TWTD.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:25 - Apr 25 with 5143 viewsnoggin

I traveled to Oxford on my own, unaware it was all ticket. Managed to buy a ticket for the stand to the left of the town fans and was not alone. Got very drunk and fell asleep on the platform at Didcott station, where I was supposed to get my train to Gloucester. A BR employee woke me and told me the last train had already gone and he directed me to a pub that did B&B. Woke up in the early hours to realise I had no money so I climbed out the window and shimmied down a drainpipe. Finally got back to Gloucester to be told my girlfriend didn't want to see me again. She was not a football fan and we had arranged to go out on the Saturday evening. TWTD.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:27 - Apr 25 with 5149 viewsSWGF

25yrs ago I was scaling an 8ft fence to get on the pitch at the Manor Ground.

Today, two days after SPECTATING the London marathon, I'm still hobbling around.

Getting old is great.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2017 9:27]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:28 - Apr 25 with 5136 viewsLimitlessBlue

Me! it was bloody beautiful!

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:50 - Apr 25 with 5098 viewsSwansea_Blue

I would have been, but was home from Uni. Annoying as I used to go to plenty of games there as it was one of my nearer grounds back then. I was at the following home match though against Brighton, which was a great day too. Sat in the upper tier of the Britannia as it was, so didn't make the pitch at the end. Had a great view of the celebrations though 🎉

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:50 - Apr 25 with 5100 viewsITFC_Forever

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:12 - Apr 25 by ITFC_Forever

The culmination of one of / the most enjoyable season I have spent following ITFC - as I have said before, it was a coming of age time for me and my mates, all 17 and at Sixth Form without a care in the world, discovering alcohol, trying to discover girls, and ITFC winning pretty much every week.

Around ten of us set off to the Manor Ground on the Galloway coaches and from memory, they only arrived 20 minutes before kick-off, but we managed to find a spot at the back of the Cuckoo Lane terracing.
Magilton scored for them them early on, Gavin Johnson equalised almost immediately after and then we heard news in the second-half that Leicester (and 'Boro?) were losing - if the scores stayed the same we were up and champions.
Final whistle came and I tried to sit on the wall at the back of the terracing - I turned round and the terrace had emptied on to the pitch!
Me and my mate followed and were right by the dugouts when John Lyall came out and made his way to the PA box to tell everyone to go home - not that we heard him as everyone was banging on the glass while he was speaking.

We headed home and waved to the blue and white multitudes on the streets of Oxford and on the motorways, a certain T Swallow was stood through the sun-roof of a car holding up an ITFC Union Jack on the M25 as the car he was in went past the coaches.

When we got back to Ipswich, we headed straight to the Drum and Monkey (we knew 17 year olds would get served in there) for a couple of beers in celebration.

TWTD.

Can also remember a car load of unfortunate Leicester fans pulled up at South Mimms services in a sea of Ipswich fans.
They had their scarf removed from their car and set alight!

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:54 - Apr 25 with 5086 viewsgainsboroughblue

It really was something else. I ended up at Hollywood's alone at 2 in the morning via an altercation in Oxford city centre which had split me up from my group and hiding in train toilets as I had lost ticket/money to pay for one.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 10:44 - Apr 25 with 5018 viewsLord_Lucan

Yes.

The thing I remember most is seeing a large glass fibre shark in a house roof.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 10:45 - Apr 25 with 5004 viewsITFC_Forever

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 10:44 - Apr 25 by Lord_Lucan

Yes.

Last time I was in Oxford for work (couple of years ago), that was still there.... small road just off one of the main roads in to town.

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 11:00 - Apr 25 with 4956 viewsSteve_M

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 10:44 - Apr 25 by Lord_Lucan

Yes.

Yes, of course. I forgot all about that.

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 11:03 - Apr 25 with 4951 viewsSwansea_Blue

I hadn't realised that Magilton got their goal before I saw that. Hell of a signing for this level he was. We need someone like him in this team who can put their foot on the ball and dictate the tempo.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 11:04 - Apr 25 with 4943 viewsSteve_M

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 11:03 - Apr 25 by Swansea_Blue

I hadn't realised that Magilton got their goal before I saw that. Hell of a signing for this level he was. We need someone like him in this team who can put their foot on the ball and dictate the tempo.

He scored in both matches against us that season.

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 14:30 - Apr 25 with 4777 viewsFifeITFC

Yep, I was there that day. What a brilliant time to be a Town fan, would love to re-live that day again.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 14:40 - Apr 25 with 4766 viewsCoastalblue

That and the Sarfend away game are tow of my favourite Town supporting memories.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 15:04 - Apr 25 with 4739 viewsyesjohn99

Yes. Only 9 years old but still my favourite season ever. For some reason better than the two Euro campaigns of my adult life.

My dad took me to every Saturday game that season and the home mid weekers. Loved it!
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 16:49 - Apr 25 with 4668 viewsEastTownBlue

About 25 years ago to this minute we were on the pitch !
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 16:51 - Apr 25 with 4663 viewsSteve_M

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 16:49 - Apr 25 by EastTownBlue

About 25 years ago to this minute we were on the pitch !

And then a few minutes later we got back to the car to hear that Leicester had lost to Charlton and we were Champions.

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 17:30 - Apr 25 with 4617 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 09:12 - Apr 25 by ITFC_Forever

TWTD.

Christ that puts me celebrating the draw at Barnsley as a teenager into perspective

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 17:32 - Apr 25 with 4619 viewssuperblue70

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 16:51 - Apr 25 by Steve_M

And then a few minutes later we got back to the car to hear that Leicester had lost to Charlton and we were Champions.

I remember it well, also remember the 1st away game that season managed to throw away a 3 goal lead to draw 3-3 with Bristol rovers in bath, they were truly great days to follow town and proper entertainment which we sadly lack at the moment.
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 17:34 - Apr 25 with 4612 viewsSteve_M

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 17:32 - Apr 25 by superblue70

I remember it well, also remember the 1st away game that season managed to throw away a 3 goal lead to draw 3-3 with Bristol rovers in bath, they were truly great days to follow town and proper entertainment which we sadly lack at the moment.

Bloody good thing this message board didn't exist after that first match.....

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 17:57 - Apr 25 with 4583 viewsEastTownBlue

Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 16:51 - Apr 25 by Steve_M

I can't remember if I was aware or not. Seems hard to believe these days with mobile phones that we were reliant on radios or hearing from others on the terrace.
Twenty Five years ago today - who else was at the Manor Ground? on 18:03 - Apr 25 with 4564 viewsMullet

Yep. Was reminiscing about this with Snr t'other week. On his shoulders most of the game aged 7. Remember more about being on the pitch than the game itself I reckon.

A great day, I miss them so.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024