Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us 09:44 - May 8 with 2967 viewsMach_foreignBlue

That's what happens with the bad policy. Selling assets and replacing them with freebies and loanees and that's why their fans have been furious for a long while. The same policy at Ipswich sees many happy clappers hushing those who voice their displeasure and anger.
Moreover, apparently Evans isn't as bad with his approach as Venkys

Most recently we had sold our integral part of the team and replaced him with a 10k substitute from non-league just because the initial 'replacement' in Best failed to impress.

Not long before we end up like Blackburn unless things change.
[Post edited 8 May 2017 9:52]
Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:45 - May 8 with 2355 viewsDanTheMan

Evans isn't as bad as Venkys, but that really isn't saying a lot. They are truly terrible.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:50 - May 8 with 2322 viewsartsbossbeard

There's a lot of truth in that.

The Blackburn player who was part of the commentary team @ City Ground made reference to BRFC selling the best players for decent money, getting (decent) freebies in to replace them and finally getting caught out.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:51 - May 8 with 2309 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:45 - May 8 by DanTheMan

Evans isn't as bad as Venkys, but that really isn't saying a lot. They are truly terrible.

Evans isn't as bad as Venkys you're saying?

I'd say he's even worse. Venkys at least haven't been ripping off Blackburn fans at Ewood Park. Reasonable prices at this level.
Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:52 - May 8 with 2306 viewsBinner

Blackburn's relegation - an example of what happens to teams who keep switching their managers.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:55 - May 8 with 2275 viewshype313

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:52 - May 8 by Binner

Blackburn's relegation - an example of what happens to teams who keep switching their managers.

Chelsea's dominance over the past 10 years, an example of what happens when you keep switching managers.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:56 - May 8 with 2275 viewsitfcjoe

Evans is frugal whereas Venkys are just a bit mad.

But under investment has caught up with us this season - there is only so long a manager can keep spinning plates before they all come crashing down.

I fear for our future if McCarthy goes with regards to relegation, I fear for our future if he stays with regards to what sort of club we will become.

Rock and a hard place.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:56 - May 8 with 2261 viewsartsbossbeard

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:55 - May 8 by hype313

Chelsea's dominance over the past 10 years, an example of what happens when you keep switching managers.

I reckon I could do a decent job at Chelsea.

See also, Celtic.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:57 - May 8 with 2258 viewsDanTheMan

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:51 - May 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

I'd say he's even worse. Venkys at least haven't been ripping off Blackburn fans at Ewood Park. Reasonable prices at this level.

When Venkys took over, Blackburn were doing alright in the Premier League. They've now gone down two divisions.

Yeah, Evans is bad, but not quite that bad.

Login to get fewer ads

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:57 - May 8 with 2249 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:50 - May 8 by artsbossbeard

The Blackburn player who was part of the commentary team @ City Ground made reference to BRFC selling the best players for decent money, getting (decent) freebies in to replace them and finally getting caught out.

Was i the only one that found that weird, that a BRFC player (albeit out of contract next month) was a pundit on our game rather than being at Brentford??
Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:58 - May 8 with 2240 viewsPJH

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:51 - May 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

Pity that they have just taken them down another level then.

I think taking a Club from mid table in the Prem down to the third tier is possibly slightly worse than anything Evans can be accused of.
Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:58 - May 8 with 2236 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:52 - May 8 by Binner

Lambert left on his own after being refused a financial support to sign new players. He was convinced he could get as they had received 8M for Rhodes.

Also....

Watford's promotion two years ago - an example of what happens to teams who keep switching their managers.
Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:58 - May 8 with 2233 viewsartsbossbeard

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:57 - May 8 by ColchesterBlue1985

Was i the only one that found that weird, that a BRFC player (albeit out of contract next month) was a pundit on our game rather than being at Brentford??

Yep! Didn't understand that one.

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:01 - May 8 with 2219 viewshype313

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:56 - May 8 by itfcjoe

But under investment has caught up with us this season - there is only so long a manager can keep spinning plates before they all come crashing down.

I fear for our future if McCarthy goes with regards to relegation, I fear for our future if he stays with regards to what sort of club we will become.

Rock and a hard place.

I'm not so sure, I think we could thrive with the correct man in charge, someone who isn't so pragmatic and sets up to not lose, appreciate that is partially down to staff, but I really feel we could do better than what we have done this season with someone else at the helm.

Interestingly Sunderlands wage bill was far higher than Leicesters, when they won the league last season, so as much as we can all bang on about lack of investment, you also need someone who can get the best out of what they are given, something Mick lacks for me.

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:02 - May 8 with 2204 viewsDanTheMan

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:58 - May 8 by Mach_foreignBlue

Lambert left on his own after being refused a financial support to sign new players. He was convinced he could get as they had received 8M for Rhodes.

Also....

Watford's promotion two years ago - an example of what happens to teams who keep switching their managers.

+ having a parent club in Italy literally giving them players.

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:02 - May 8 with 2202 viewsKieran_Knows

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:01 - May 8 by hype313

I'm not so sure, I think we could thrive with the correct man in charge, someone who isn't so pragmatic and sets up to not lose, appreciate that is partially down to staff, but I really feel we could do better than what we have done this season with someone else at the helm.

Interestingly Sunderlands wage bill was far higher than Leicesters, when they won the league last season, so as much as we can all bang on about lack of investment, you also need someone who can get the best out of what they are given, something Mick lacks for me.

'you also need someone who can get the best out of what they are given' ... isn't that what Mick has done for 4 seasons out of 5?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:08 - May 8 with 2150 viewsSteve_M

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:50 - May 8 by artsbossbeard

The post-match discussion between Greer and Pearce was very good. Far more awareness of this division and why those two clubs had struggled than anything from the commentators.

I was a little surprised how knowledgeable about football generally Pearce was, using examples of different clubs to make points, the contrast with the cliched laziness of so many pundits was refreshing.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:09 - May 8 with 2129 viewschislehurstblue

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:02 - May 8 by Kieran_Knows

'you also need someone who can get the best out of what they are given' ... isn't that what Mick has done for 4 seasons out of 5?

Mick lacks being able to get the best out of players?!?! WOW

Have you seen our squad?
You are aware we didnt get relegated?
Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:11 - May 8 with 2108 viewshype313

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:02 - May 8 by Kieran_Knows

Do you not think our squad has gotten less competitive over the past 4-5 years?

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:12 - May 8 with 2094 viewsSWGF

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 09:56 - May 8 by itfcjoe

Rock and a hard place.

Another summer of frugality (on top of losing Bart/Lawrence/Berra) and it won't matter who the manager is.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:15 - May 8 with 2068 viewsKieran_Knows

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:11 - May 8 by hype313

Do you not think our squad has gotten less competitive over the past 4-5 years?

It's got less competitive over the last 18 months, i'll give you that. But the last 4-5 years under Mick? That's absurd, IMO.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:15 - May 8 with 2073 viewsitfcjoe

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:01 - May 8 by hype313

Mick hasn't this year, no doubt, but he has in his other 4 years here.

Also out budget is comparatively smaller than any point in our history at this level, that's due to a number of reasons but is the fact of the matter.

There will always be freak occurences against the wage bill vs league position, but they are mostly under achievement opposed to over achievement. We have over achieved under Mick, as have Brentford over last few years - Huddersfield have done it this year - but it is very, very difficult sustain over achievement because it relies on your scouting and transfers to be spot on every year - because you lose players unless your budget increases.

Brentford have their model that is more statisitical and is working, but that has involved binning off their academy totally. Our way is a more old fashioned way and has worked up until this year - but is this just a blip?

My concern is that we have no off the field infrastructure to speak off on the footballing side, it isn't going to be an easy transition

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:23 - May 8 with 2013 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:02 - May 8 by DanTheMan

+ having a parent club in Italy literally giving them players.

Still many managers and they had been changing them frequently.
Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:24 - May 8 with 2008 viewschislehurstblue

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:15 - May 8 by itfcjoe

Also out budget is comparatively smaller than any point in our history at this level, that's due to a number of reasons but is the fact of the matter.

There will always be freak occurences against the wage bill vs league position, but they are mostly under achievement opposed to over achievement. We have over achieved under Mick, as have Brentford over last few years - Huddersfield have done it this year - but it is very, very difficult sustain over achievement because it relies on your scouting and transfers to be spot on every year - because you lose players unless your budget increases.

Brentford have their model that is more statisitical and is working, but that has involved binning off their academy totally. Our way is a more old fashioned way and has worked up until this year - but is this just a blip?

My concern is that we have no off the field infrastructure to speak off on the footballing side, it isn't going to be an easy transition

Agreed.

It annoys me when Milne says our wage bill has grow, which it has there is no denying that, but this needs to be be put into context. The wages were to a degree held down slightly by FFP, now that this has been blown out to the water and clubs are spending £10m+ on fees, its only going to push up the wages. Generally bigger fees = bigger wages and this has a knock on affect throughout the league.

So whilst Milne is correct, dont let that misguide you that as the wage budget has gone up the quality of player in the club has gone up with it.
Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:26 - May 8 with 1994 viewshype313

Agreed, their is a wider issue at hands here, but that would take a long time to rectify, essentially the only way I can see it working is without Evans, but he isn't going to sell up anytime soon.

Blackburn Rovers - real warning to us on 10:27 - May 8 with 2003 viewsPhilTWTD

"Comparatively smaller than any point in our history at this level" in terms of the division as a whole, I assume you mean. But of course the investment into the club above what it generates itself is at the highest level in its history under ME.

Therein lies the main issue for Town and other established Championship clubs. Unless the owner is prepared to kiss goodbye to £20m a year - rather than the £6m-ish which has gone in in recent seasons - it's going to be difficult to be competitive, that has changed in the last couple of years.

As you outline there will be the odd club which overperforms - us for the previous couple of seasons, Huddersfield this year - but difficult to sustain year-on-year. When you look at a league table it generally, one or two clubs aside, fairly accurately reflects which clubs have spent the most money.

There's not really any comparison with the situation at Blackburn (or Coventry as I've seen suggested, their problems are pretty unique to themselves relating to the stadium ownership), a lack of any stability both on-field and off-field has been probably the biggest problem at Ewood Park (and at Forest, come to that), which is certainly not something which could be claimed here. Indeed, I think a lot of fans might argue there's too much stability in terms of the management and the club would benefit from change.

This post has been edited by an administrator
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024