Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? 10:28 - May 9 with 4481 viewsHeathlander

ME is on paper worth £750 million. But realistically he doesn't have that money in the bank to throw at ITFC. He also runs a multi-million pound business empire so he probably doesn't even give much time or thought to us.

Someone like Jack Walker at Blackburn sold his business and put millions into his team to allow them to win the premier league. At the time it was his sole focus unlike ME.

So for example, Ed Sheeran is worth £60 million. Now this is not enough to make us a force if he were to say buy the club off Evans for a £1. Not that this has even crossed his mind.

My question is how much spare cash not tied up in business would someone need to make us a premiership team again. And also do we think that they would need to have ITFC as their sole focus rather then another part of their empire?

I doubt there is anyone out there with that much spare cash and inclination to make us that force again. It's an expensive old business the championship football malarkey.
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:29 - May 9 with 3512 viewshype313

How much are the parachute payments? look at those and then you will see what's needed to be competitive.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:36 - May 9 with 3479 viewsStenvict

I saw something the other day saying who the top 10 richest football club owners are. 2nd was the Deportivo owner who is worth $57 Billion, yet they are hovering above the relegation zone in La Liga.

Imagine the Deportivo equivalent of TWTD.

Poll: What will be announced first?

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:37 - May 9 with 3470 viewsMuncher

It's impossible to say.

However, if you are funding a championship club to the tune of £20m a year, you would sensibly not want to spend more than 20% of your disposable cash on the club, meaning your business needs to be earning about £150m a year, which probably puts you in the £2bn net worth bracket.
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:38 - May 9 with 3463 viewsGuthrum

It's one of the reasons oil sheikhs have done so well. Much of their wealth is pure cash income (often helped by a blurring of lines between state and personal property).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:39 - May 9 with 3466 viewsCaptainObvious

yeah but ed sheeran increased his wealth by about £40m last year, which would be enough for each season, he just has to keep 30 records in the top 10 and do 500 concerts a year to keep it going.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:46 - May 9 with 3428 viewsElderGrizzly

I think you need to be rich enough or not averse to the risk to be prepared to lose £20m a season to truly compete at the top.

Evans simply isn't either of those and I can't imagine there are many out there.
[Post edited 9 May 2017 10:47]
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:56 - May 9 with 3382 viewsMuncher

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:46 - May 9 by ElderGrizzly

I think you need to be rich enough or not averse to the risk to be prepared to lose £20m a season to truly compete at the top.

Evans simply isn't either of those and I can't imagine there are many out there.

Investing in a football club is also a terrible investment, so you are really looking for someone who has so much cash they literally can't think of any other good use to put it to, other than paying footballer's wages.
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:58 - May 9 with 3371 viewsPrideOfTheEast

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:46 - May 9 by ElderGrizzly

I think that's about right. There certainly aren't many in the UK, and clearly nobody in Suffolk.

This £750m that's chucked about is highly speculative. Clearly it's very difficult to value somebody's wealth when everything is privately owned. From what I understand, the value, and crucially for Evans the competition in the conference and events industry has diminished in the last 5 years. There would not be the queue at his door looking to buy that part of his group if he wanted out which must make him worth less than he was say 5 or 10 years ago.
Login to get fewer ads

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 11:00 - May 9 with 3355 viewstaximan

we are competing in the equivalent of a premier league 2 on a league one budget

i imagine it would take investment of 10 - 15 mill in transfer fees for the next 3 or 4 transfer windows to get us competitive again, the financial landscape of the championship has changed dramatically over the last few years and we have been left a long way behind.
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 11:00 - May 9 with 3356 viewschicoazul

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:29 - May 9 by hype313

How much are the parachute payments? look at those and then you will see what's needed to be competitive.

But conversely parachute payments are no guarantee of anything. Good ownership of one kind or another seems to be the key. Blackburn Wigan Villa have all suffered for bad decisions being taken at the very top.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 11:03 - May 9 with 3336 viewstaximan

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 11:00 - May 9 by chicoazul

But conversely parachute payments are no guarantee of anything. Good ownership of one kind or another seems to be the key. Blackburn Wigan Villa have all suffered for bad decisions being taken at the very top.

money guarantees nothing

however, no money guarantees relegation

this is the situation we now find ourselves in
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 11:17 - May 9 with 3306 viewsStokieBlue

Brighton's benifactor is much poorer than ME but he's a fan so he doesn't mind spending the money.

It's all about whether it's treated as a business or something they care about.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 11:19 - May 9 with 3294 viewstaximan

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 11:17 - May 9 by StokieBlue

Brighton's benifactor is much poorer than ME but he's a fan so he doesn't mind spending the money.

SB

the answer to that is blatantly obvious !!!!!
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 14:46 - May 9 with 3127 viewsScuzzer

Suffolk born Bernie Ecclestone has £1.5bn. He's not doing much nowadays.

Established 1968

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 14:57 - May 9 with 3094 viewstrncbluearmy

At the moment Evans is losing money hand over fist and is not putting enough in to make the team competitive.
Selling may be an option but not overly attractive, so what he needs is a partner or two.
This would reduce his shareholding,but between him and partner(s) they would be able to fund the club so that it gives a manager a fighting chance.
Of course his share of theprofit would be less but at least he could be looking at a profit rather then losing money year on year.
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 15:40 - May 9 with 3039 viewsMJallday

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:36 - May 9 by Stenvict

I saw something the other day saying who the top 10 richest football club owners are. 2nd was the Deportivo owner who is worth $57 Billion, yet they are hovering above the relegation zone in La Liga.

Imagine the Deportivo equivalent of TWTD.

spanish twtd? now theres a thought

"bloody gibraltans, invading our village greens"
"messi or ronaldo" which was better
"rijkaard or van gaal"? which was worse
favourite brand of manchego
"wheres the best place to park at barcelona airport?"
"breaking valencia news"

then theres the thought of the users

"senior taximan"
"crazyEnglandishlady"

etc...

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 15:48 - May 9 with 3016 viewsElderGrizzly

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 11:17 - May 9 by StokieBlue

SB

Brighton's owner is literally a professional gambler, who also happens to be a fan. Makes a huge difference
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 15:50 - May 9 with 3008 viewsBLUEBEAT

Speculate To Accumulate!

What if ME went this way on initial procurement? Bought instant success. Where would we be now?

Poll: W or W

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 16:00 - May 9 with 2987 viewsClapham_Junction

Am I alone in being uneasy about people wanting an owner to put in £Xm every year? For me this isn't what Town are about as a football club, and the ME era has seen us move further and further away from the old ITFC.

I appreciate it would be difficult, but I'd much rather see the club being run on a break-even benefit (or a small loss that we could recoup by selling a decent player every couple of seasons) and be pushing for a proper licencing system like they have in Germany that will wind in the spending.
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 16:06 - May 9 with 2966 viewsBrightonEye

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 15:48 - May 9 by ElderGrizzly

Brighton's owner is literally a professional gambler, who also happens to be a fan. Makes a huge difference

While BHA chairman Tony Bloom does indeed gamble on the professional circuit, that's more like a hobby. His [undisclosed] wealth comes from various property and business interests here and overseas.

It's not easy to get solid facts about any individual's private wealth. But their expenditure is far more visible, obviously. Tony Bloom has 'invested' some £250m in the club to date, of which £125m was for the Amex stadium, with a further £30m for the Lancing training ground.

In strict financial terms, Brighton are in debt to Tony Bloom, through a series of interest-free loans that become repayable in 2023. If that is not possible, the outstanding debt will be converted into equity. Meaning that, in effect, Bloom will then have written off all of the debt. It remains to be seen how much promotion to the Premier League will change the overall financial picture.

But there's no doubt that Bloom is in it for the long haul. He represents the third generation of his family to serve as a BHA director, and has declared his commitment to passing on the club in due course to his children.
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 16:10 - May 9 with 2943 viewsSwansea_Blue

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 11:03 - May 9 by taximan

money guarantees nothing

however, no money guarantees relegation

this is the situation we now find ourselves in

I wouldn't say no money guarantees relegation, but it certainly makes it harder to compete. I think transfer/signing fees are a bit of a red herring and that wages are the real problem. There's more room to be a wheeler dealer in signings than there is in retaining and attracting players on a shoestring wage budget.

Not sure where we are now on wages, but it was all in that Swiss Ramble piece a couple of months ago.
[Post edited 9 May 2017 16:14]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 16:15 - May 9 with 2924 viewsStenvict

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 15:40 - May 9 by MJallday

spanish twtd? now theres a thought

"bloody gibraltans, invading our village greens"
"messi or ronaldo" which was better
"rijkaard or van gaal"? which was worse
favourite brand of manchego
"wheres the best place to park at barcelona airport?"
"breaking valencia news"

then theres the thought of the users

"senior taximan"
"crazyEnglandishlady"

etc...

Betting reviews on the bullfighting by The_Benidorm_Blue aka 'Benny'

Poll: What will be announced first?

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 16:31 - May 9 with 2906 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 16:06 - May 9 by BrightonEye

While BHA chairman Tony Bloom does indeed gamble on the professional circuit, that's more like a hobby. His [undisclosed] wealth comes from various property and business interests here and overseas.

It's not easy to get solid facts about any individual's private wealth. But their expenditure is far more visible, obviously. Tony Bloom has 'invested' some £250m in the club to date, of which £125m was for the Amex stadium, with a further £30m for the Lancing training ground.

In strict financial terms, Brighton are in debt to Tony Bloom, through a series of interest-free loans that become repayable in 2023. If that is not possible, the outstanding debt will be converted into equity. Meaning that, in effect, Bloom will then have written off all of the debt. It remains to be seen how much promotion to the Premier League will change the overall financial picture.

But there's no doubt that Bloom is in it for the long haul. He represents the third generation of his family to serve as a BHA director, and has declared his commitment to passing on the club in due course to his children.

Isn't his main business interest Starlizard, which is an err, gambling syndicate?

Ps. Will be a shame not to visit your lovely, lovely stadium next year

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 17:29 - May 9 with 2836 viewsdirtyboy

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 10:58 - May 9 by PrideOfTheEast

I think that's about right. There certainly aren't many in the UK, and clearly nobody in Suffolk.

This £750m that's chucked about is highly speculative. Clearly it's very difficult to value somebody's wealth when everything is privately owned. From what I understand, the value, and crucially for Evans the competition in the conference and events industry has diminished in the last 5 years. There would not be the queue at his door looking to buy that part of his group if he wanted out which must make him worth less than he was say 5 or 10 years ago.

I felt initial valuations were based on his attempt to buy a newspaper for £400m, but that would have been a leveraged purchase much like the Glazers.

Newspapers aren't the business they were either, so he dodged a bullet there in any case.

I'd guess he's blown far more than he intended to, got caught up in chasing it and simply has to reign it in. I wouldn't be surprised if the £5-6m per season is too much for him.
How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 17:30 - May 9 with 2832 viewsPrideOfTheEast

How rich do you need to be to own a football club in the Championship? on 17:29 - May 9 by dirtyboy

I felt initial valuations were based on his attempt to buy a newspaper for £400m, but that would have been a leveraged purchase much like the Glazers.

Newspapers aren't the business they were either, so he dodged a bullet there in any case.

I'd guess he's blown far more than he intended to, got caught up in chasing it and simply has to reign it in. I wouldn't be surprised if the £5-6m per season is too much for him.

His offer for the mirror was heavily (almost wholly) backed by Barclays
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024