Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Business idea for our Marcus 19:35 - May 12 with 2494 viewsGromheort

Ipswich was, for a little time at least, seen as 'a Northern Town down south'. That reflected the economic destruction generated by 1980s Toryism and the unemployment deliberately engineered. There's no time to grump over that now Marcus dear chap. After all, there’s now plenty of shiny insurance companies peddling their trade instead.

My idea? Let’s harness that history. The proposition, an endeavour in entrepreneurial spirit no less, is simple. I propose that we create an Ipswich Town Rugby League side. The benefits are clear. Working side by side with the footballers, we can generate proper hard men and eliminate all that blubbering over skills. Cheering hard tackles is good for the soul. Worked for Stoke didn’t it? That wonky ball game will also give an excuse for bad pitch conditions, saving money for any desperate loan budget. And, given season tickets are on the slide, we will also have engineered the perfect solution. Sales will go through the roof when you offer complimentary tourist tickets for local events. When playing Whitehaven, for example, we can have a beer trip to Sellafield. Always fancied that.
Business idea for our Marcus on 19:45 - May 12 with 2451 viewsFtnfwest

Game for northern monkeys
Business idea for our Marcus on 19:55 - May 12 with 2410 viewsGromheort

Business idea for our Marcus on 19:45 - May 12 by Ftnfwest

Game for northern monkeys

Shame on you! If this was Dragon's Den, you'd be...

Business idea for our Marcus on 20:16 - May 12 with 2359 viewsFtnfwest

Business idea for our Marcus on 19:55 - May 12 by Gromheort

Shame on you! If this was Dragon's Den, you'd be...

to make it even better my reply was in a johnny vegas accent
Business idea for our Marcus on 20:18 - May 12 with 2349 viewsGromheort

Business idea for our Marcus on 20:16 - May 12 by Ftnfwest

to make it even better my reply was in a johnny vegas accent

St Helens fan! The Narrwich of League aint it
Business idea for our Marcus on 20:38 - May 12 with 2311 viewsFtnfwest

Business idea for our Marcus on 20:18 - May 12 by Gromheort

St Helens fan! The Narrwich of League aint it

Growing up it always used to be on grandstand while the footy scores were coming in. Always cottoned on to Leeds for some reason. I think they staged some sort of amazing come back in the challenge cup final one year in the 70's which probably sealed it for me. Can't stand the footy Leeds I should quickly add..
Business idea for our Marcus on 20:45 - May 12 with 2297 viewsGromheort

Business idea for our Marcus on 20:38 - May 12 by Ftnfwest

Growing up it always used to be on grandstand while the footy scores were coming in. Always cottoned on to Leeds for some reason. I think they staged some sort of amazing come back in the challenge cup final one year in the 70's which probably sealed it for me. Can't stand the footy Leeds I should quickly add..

Been to see the Rhinos a couple of times. Certainly more fun than Elland Road! Think there is a lot to learn from League on how to treat fans (both home and away). The fan in football has been kicked in the teeth for too long
Business idea for our Marcus on 20:51 - May 12 with 2281 viewsbournemouthblue

was it really, it used to be quite industrial, were we particularly ravaged as industry fell and the UK moved towards services?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Business idea for our Marcus on 20:59 - May 12 with 2262 viewsGromheort

Business idea for our Marcus on 20:51 - May 12 by bournemouthblue

was it really, it used to be quite industrial, were we particularly ravaged as industry fell and the UK moved towards services?

Yep! Example of 1983 Hansard:

"On unemployment, I am not of the school of thought that believes that statistics speak for themselves, but, faced with the dismal facts that are readily available in Government publications and even more readily available to the senses of constituency Members in the region, I can only say that in the East Anglian context the record is deplorable. The raw material is as follows. My statistics have their source in Department of Employment figures for the East Anglian planning area covering Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire. In June 1979, the number of people wholly unemployed was 30,835 or 4.2 per cent. of the working population. By February 1983, the number had risen to 82,570 or almost 12 per cent. of the working population–an increase of some 168 per cent" Weetch
Login to get fewer ads

Business idea for our Marcus on 21:34 - May 12 with 2189 viewsbournemouthblue

Business idea for our Marcus on 20:59 - May 12 by Gromheort

"On unemployment, I am not of the school of thought that believes that statistics speak for themselves, but, faced with the dismal facts that are readily available in Government publications and even more readily available to the senses of constituency Members in the region, I can only say that in the East Anglian context the record is deplorable. The raw material is as follows. My statistics have their source in Department of Employment figures for the East Anglian planning area covering Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire. In June 1979, the number of people wholly unemployed was 30,835 or 4.2 per cent. of the working population. By February 1983, the number had risen to 82,570 or almost 12 per cent. of the working population–an increase of some 168 per cent" Weetch

That's some jump!

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Business idea for our Marcus on 21:36 - May 12 with 2178 viewsGromheort

Business idea for our Marcus on 21:34 - May 12 by bournemouthblue

That's some jump!

Tiddlywinks sorted yonks ago. This is a matter of history
Business idea for our Marcus on 21:43 - May 12 with 2159 viewsSwansea_Blue

Business idea for our Marcus on 20:59 - May 12 by Gromheort

That's all well and good but by 1985 we'd got Crown Pools. Tsk, some people want the moon on a stick.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Business idea for our Marcus on 21:45 - May 12 with 2149 viewsGromheort

Business idea for our Marcus on 21:43 - May 12 by Swansea_Blue

That's all well and good but by 1985 we'd got Crown Pools. Tsk, some people want the moon on a stick.

Splendid counter! Crown Pools were the world. They scared me obviously as I never went to them
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024