Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era 22:52 - May 13 with 4075 viewsbluesym

In no particular order id say-

3-3 away to Watford when loanee Mark Stuart scored a brace.I told my mates he was amazing and he was actually sh1te after that.

3-1 away to WBA Duncans last game. A 'Lowe dont go' banner was held up in the away end.

5-1 home to Stoke- Sweeper Baltacha scoring on his debut, while playing left wing.
[Post edited 14 May 2017 9:15]

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 22:57 - May 13 with 4048 viewsgainsboroughblue

4-2 wins at Leeds and Sunderland (balmy night on Wearside)
4-0 wins v Boro and Bradford (same season)
1-0 v Norwich in Simod cup

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 22:58 - May 13 with 4037 viewsbluesym

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 22:57 - May 13 by gainsboroughblue

4-2 wins at Leeds and Sunderland (balmy night on Wearside)
4-0 wins v Boro and Bradford (same season)
1-0 v Norwich in Simod cup

all good shouts!

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 23:03 - May 13 with 4027 viewsgainsboroughblue

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 22:58 - May 13 by bluesym

all good shouts!

Also could add the 4-0 at Carrow Road in the hospital cup. The Watford Mark Stuart game was 3 all by the way.

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 23:10 - May 13 with 4006 viewsbluesym

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 23:03 - May 13 by gainsboroughblue

Also could add the 4-0 at Carrow Road in the hospital cup. The Watford Mark Stuart game was 3 all by the way.

Was it?! In my defence i was only 10!

Beating Man City at home 3-0 Neill Rimmer scoring twice!

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 23:14 - May 13 with 4001 viewsgainsboroughblue

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 23:10 - May 13 by bluesym

Was it?! In my defence i was only 10!

Beating Man City at home 3-0 Neill Rimmer scoring twice!

That was a couple of days after the great storm of 87 and a day after the death of Lady Blanche Cobbold.

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 23:23 - May 13 with 3988 viewsStNeotsBlue

1-0 at home v Brighton. 1st time I saw the late great Dalian Atkinson, at the time he was skinny with long gerry curls, came back the next season beefed up with a skinhead and was a revelation. Other than Jim Magilton's performance against Bolton, Dalian's performance against Middlesborough that season is as good an individual performance I've ever seen from a Town player.
Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 02:11 - May 14 with 3866 viewsIllinoisblue

Sergei's debut in front of what was then an above average crowd of 14k! We made the national news and the front cover of Shoot. What a time to be alive. The 4-0 Dalian Boro game will live long in the memory.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 03:13 - May 14 with 3829 viewsIllinoisblue

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 23:03 - May 13 by gainsboroughblue

the Stuart game was 3-3? Damn, I was there and to this day thought we'd lost 3-2! what to do with that extra point...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 05:38 - May 14 with 3765 viewsJohnhoz

Boxing Day 1989. 1-0 win v West Ham. Stockwell, 42.

Great atmosphere.

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 07:25 - May 14 with 3711 viewsITFC_Forever

The Watford draw with Mark Stuart getting two was 3-3.

The Middlesbrough 4-0 has to be the pick of the era though.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 08:34 - May 14 with 3617 viewsFtnfwest

The Watford 3-3, borough 4-0 and West Ham 1-0 as previously mentioned, but also the 3-2 win away to Pompey in 1989 in the gale
Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 09:09 - May 14 with 3575 viewsgainsboroughblue

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 08:34 - May 14 by Ftnfwest

The Watford 3-3, borough 4-0 and West Ham 1-0 as previously mentioned, but also the 3-2 win away to Pompey in 1989 in the gale

How could I forget that! Those hail stones were like cricket balls. As for that winning Dozzell header, what a celebration that was. I ended up on the ground but as I was already soaked to the skin, I didn't care.

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 09:12 - May 14 with 3568 viewsgainsboroughblue

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 02:11 - May 14 by Illinoisblue

Sergei's debut in front of what was then an above average crowd of 14k! We made the national news and the front cover of Shoot. What a time to be alive. The 4-0 Dalian Boro game will live long in the memory.

Not to mention, the main headline on Ceefax 300!

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 09:31 - May 14 with 3536 viewssundaze

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 02:11 - May 14 by Illinoisblue

You have have written my thoughts, more or less word for word. Sergei was signed as a defender, yet made his debut upfront on the right. It was a strange day, almost magical. I doubt Sergei really had any understanding of the role Duncan put him into on that day.
Dalian was perhaps the most natural, giffted footballer that came through our ranks. He had such raw tallent, he developed the strength to hold off defenders, he had the pace to run past anyone and he had a bullet shot that was impossible to stop. It is difficult to believe he has gone, just as it is so unfair that Sergei lost his daughter Elana at such a young age.
Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 09:42 - May 14 with 3511 viewsFtnfwest

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 09:09 - May 14 by gainsboroughblue

How could I forget that! Those hail stones were like cricket balls. As for that winning Dozzell header, what a celebration that was. I ended up on the ground but as I was already soaked to the skin, I didn't care.

Lowe was immense in that game. Id finished at Portsmouth poly in 1988 and went back for that weekend with mates and stayed over on the Saturday plus went to all the old haunts.
Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 10:31 - May 14 with 3469 viewsDennyx4

Dalian's hat-trick v Boro has to be the best - but another one that sticks in my memory was

Away to Bradford last game of season - Bradford needed win to go up, and we were playing for nothing. The usual away stand had been sold to Bradford supporters, as they didn't expect us to bring many.

Think we had nearly a 1000 there that day, and we were put in a side stand (standing) with what appeared to be the family enclosure - our seats were in the stand opposite.

We won 3-2 and all hell kicked off, with no segregation and Ipswich fans both sides of the pitch.
Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 11:05 - May 14 with 3422 viewsblueprint

2 nil down away at Swindon with about 15 minutes to go. Goals from Dozzell and Dalian then Romeo gets the winner right at the death.
Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 11:08 - May 14 with 3417 viewsThePitBoss

The Duncan era was more enjoyable than the Mick era.

There, I've said it.
Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 11:16 - May 14 with 3404 viewsgainsboroughblue

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 11:08 - May 14 by ThePitBoss

The Duncan era was more enjoyable than the Mick era.

There, I've said it.

I agree absolutely. Of course, my age during the Duncan era was 14-17 years old and at the time, ate, lived and breathed football so may have been blinkered a bit. A late 80's version of Rommy if you will.

I can certainly remember my dad and late grandfather moaning about how it's the worst team they'd ever seen etc, and of course, it was only 6/7 years after we had finished 2nd in the league and won the UEFA Cup. 6/7 years ago from today and we are pretty much still in the same position so the 2017 version of a Town fan is going to be even wearier.

As much as Duncan's days are always viewed unfavourably, it did give us some absolutely belting games, players like Atkinson and Kiwomya who could get a crowd going. Touch players like Dozzell, Zondervan, Redford, Lowe. Not to mention a return of a hero in Warky. You also had some good noise in the North Stand/J block.

We did win the odd cup match too.

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 12:59 - May 14 with 3332 viewsWestSussexBlue

I was 17 at the time of the Watford 3-3, we were returning from France with the college, we were allowed a quick phone call. Most called parents...I listened to Bryan Knights and Clubcall for 3 minutes. Priorities.
Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 13:03 - May 14 with 3323 viewsgainsboroughblue

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 12:59 - May 14 by WestSussexBlue

I was 17 at the time of the Watford 3-3, we were returning from France with the college, we were allowed a quick phone call. Most called parents...I listened to Bryan Knights and Clubcall for 3 minutes. Priorities.

Three minutes? You would have had to have waited longer than that before they started the first news item!

'Welcome to club call. This is Bryan Knights, giving you up to the date information on the latest news concerning Ipswich Town coming out of Portman Road' etc etc repeat until anything of substance is said.

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 18:10 - May 14 with 3197 viewssticklegs

Heres one to test the old memory- Fave game(s) of the John Duncan era on 10:31 - May 14 by Dennyx4

Dalian's hat-trick v Boro has to be the best - but another one that sticks in my memory was

Away to Bradford last game of season - Bradford needed win to go up, and we were playing for nothing. The usual away stand had been sold to Bradford supporters, as they didn't expect us to bring many.

Think we had nearly a 1000 there that day, and we were put in a side stand (standing) with what appeared to be the family enclosure - our seats were in the stand opposite.

We won 3-2 and all hell kicked off, with no segregation and Ipswich fans both sides of the pitch.

Remember that well...it was chaos after the match. Remember a group of blood stained Bradford fans attempting to attack us, after they'd been given a beating by some of our fans. Very scary stuff....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024