Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My daughter at Manchester concert last night 08:32 - May 23 with 4263 viewsRentaghost

She phoned on her coach on way back to Lancaster with her best friend. Heartbroken with all those innocent kids killed. I dont understand the modern world.

Poll: Will the club pay a transfer fee before the season starts?

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 08:35 - May 23 with 3749 viewstaximan

you must have been out of your mind with worry
My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 08:39 - May 23 with 3725 viewsRyorry

So glad she's OK.

I don't understand some people or groups in the modern world. The rest of it's OK, or even good.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 08:42 - May 23 with 3699 viewschristiand

Glad she is safe and sound. So sad listening to a mother on GMB waiting to hear from her daughter after last night's concert - it makes you sick to the stomach!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 09:12 - May 23 with 3593 viewshoppy

Glad she's ok and you heard relatively soon afterwards.
KJ's cousin has a friend that was there missing currently, waiting to hear news.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 09:51 - May 23 with 3454 viewsGuthrum

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 08:39 - May 23 by Ryorry

So glad she's OK.

I don't understand some people or groups in the modern world. The rest of it's OK, or even good.

Problem is, a lot of those groups are not in the modern world, indeed they're trying to turn the clock back to some sort of largely imaginary past.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 09:56 - May 23 with 3415 viewsRegencyBlue

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 09:51 - May 23 by Guthrum

Problem is, a lot of those groups are not in the modern world, indeed they're trying to turn the clock back to some sort of largely imaginary past.

Indeed.

Religious fanaticism never ends well!
My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:00 - May 23 with 3389 viewstextbackup

Seen various parents on the TV saying how they were waiting outside for their kids... I just cant possibly imagine what they felt hearing/seeing hundreds of people running in every direction...

So glad your daughter is safe

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:08 - May 23 with 3337 viewsGuthrum

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 09:56 - May 23 by RegencyBlue

Indeed.

Religious fanaticism never ends well!

Religious, but also tribal/cultural.

For example, their positively weird attitude towards women is less to do with Islam than reinforcing an already strongly pariarchal society.

A lot of it is about returning to a mythical age when everything was supposedly prosperous and wonderful - which never really existed - at a time of great social and economic change and pressure.

Login to get fewer ads

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:13 - May 23 with 3281 viewsGlasgowBlue

Glad to here she's ok mate.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:16 - May 23 with 3263 viewsWeWereZombies

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:08 - May 23 by Guthrum

For example, their positively weird attitude towards women is less to do with Islam than reinforcing an already strongly pariarchal society.

A lot of it is about returning to a mythical age when everything was supposedly prosperous and wonderful - which never really existed - at a time of great social and economic change and pressure.

Let's wait until we know more about the attacker, or even who he was. We hear a lot about the attacks but the determination of whether these are part of a thoroughly organised terror campaign or opportunistic attacks by damaged individuals (or even a combination of both in deep cover or sleeper cell patterns) is not being fully revealed.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:29 - May 23 with 3204 viewsGuthrum

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:16 - May 23 by WeWereZombies

Let's wait until we know more about the attacker, or even who he was. We hear a lot about the attacks but the determination of whether these are part of a thoroughly organised terror campaign or opportunistic attacks by damaged individuals (or even a combination of both in deep cover or sleeper cell patterns) is not being fully revealed.

Indeed, I was just making a more general point.

The nature of modern terrorism - and the vigourous activity of security services - mean that networks, where they exist at all, are less structured and more individual. They are not in a position to organise concerted and coordinated campaigns. The internet allows otherwise isolated vulnerable people to be radicalised with no direct personal contact. They then act alone and in an opportunistic fashion - but not according to any prearranged timetable or plan.

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:36 - May 23 with 3163 viewsstickymockwell

Good to hear she's safe.
[Post edited 23 May 2017 10:41]

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: Best left back in the last 10 years

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:38 - May 23 with 3142 viewsGromheort

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:29 - May 23 by Guthrum

Indeed, I was just making a more general point.

The nature of modern terrorism - and the vigourous activity of security services - mean that networks, where they exist at all, are less structured and more individual. They are not in a position to organise concerted and coordinated campaigns. The internet allows otherwise isolated vulnerable people to be radicalised with no direct personal contact. They then act alone and in an opportunistic fashion - but not according to any prearranged timetable or plan.

Appreciate your point, but we should be careful in underestimating co-ordination. The empirical evidence into modern terrorism suggests cycles in activity. One reason for this is that, given the probability of failure, terrorist groups do attempt to take advantage of economies of scale. They'll therefore look to maximise the number of attacks in a given time frame.

All of course depends on the specific incident and the criminal(s) behind it. But understanding those cycles are a key part in trying to ascertain how successful counter-terrorist policy has been.
My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:42 - May 23 with 3120 viewsWeWereZombies

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:38 - May 23 by Gromheort

Appreciate your point, but we should be careful in underestimating co-ordination. The empirical evidence into modern terrorism suggests cycles in activity. One reason for this is that, given the probability of failure, terrorist groups do attempt to take advantage of economies of scale. They'll therefore look to maximise the number of attacks in a given time frame.

All of course depends on the specific incident and the criminal(s) behind it. But understanding those cycles are a key part in trying to ascertain how successful counter-terrorist policy has been.

Not sure if you are heaping speculation upon speculation here, for the moment I'm just thankful Rentaghost's daughter is safe and mourn those who were not.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:44 - May 23 with 3111 viewsGromheort

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:42 - May 23 by WeWereZombies

Not sure if you are heaping speculation upon speculation here, for the moment I'm just thankful Rentaghost's daughter is safe and mourn those who were not.

Certainly don't want to speculate over this particular crime. Its more about how we minimise future victims. The data analysis into terrorist activity has been a key element for that.
My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:47 - May 23 with 3088 viewsGuthrum

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:38 - May 23 by Gromheort

Altho cycles are not entirely at the group's discretion.

This particular burst of violence over the last couple of years has coincided with Islamic State's defeat on the battlefield and the rolling up of its territory. Their magazines, websites and twitter feeds are constantly calling for direct action. It's not so much a carefully coodinated plan as trying to stir up what trouble they can in their opponents' home countries.

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:49 - May 23 with 3077 viewsGuthrum

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:42 - May 23 by WeWereZombies

Yes, this is probably the wrong thread to get into discussions about the nature of terrorism.

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:57 - May 23 with 3042 viewsitfcjoe

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:08 - May 23 by Guthrum

Are we talking about UKIP or Isis here?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:58 - May 23 with 3033 viewsitfcjoe

Glad to hear she is ok, heart goes out to the parents who are yet to receive that call.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 12:25 - May 23 with 2857 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Glad to hear she is ok

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:43 - May 25 with 2356 viewshoppy

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 09:12 - May 23 by hoppy

Glad she's ok and you heard relatively soon afterwards.
KJ's cousin has a friend that was there missing currently, waiting to hear news.

Sadly, she was one of those killed.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:44 - May 25 with 2346 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:43 - May 25 by hoppy

very sorry to hear that
My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 10:47 - May 25 with 2333 viewsSwansea_Blue

sorry to hear that Hoppy

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 11:27 - May 25 with 2271 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Sorry to hear that Hops

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

My daughter at Manchester concert last night on 11:28 - May 25 with 2260 viewsKieran_Knows

Very sorry indeed to hear that, Hoppy.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024