Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans 17:53 - May 29 with 7501 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hope you're watching Huddersfield.

Get your home ground full (ticket prices!!), and invest a moderate amount and you can get promoted without parachute payments.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Marcus Evans on 18:53 - May 29 with 5912 viewsCheltenham_Blue

He doesn't care. You're wasting your breath.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Marcus Evans on 18:55 - May 29 with 5899 viewsfergalsharkey

Marcus Evans on 18:53 - May 29 by Cheltenham_Blue

He doesn't care. You're wasting your breath.

He will be too busy touting dodgy tickets for the open and wimbledon.

Poll: Cook out?

Marcus Evans on 19:00 - May 29 with 5888 viewsblueblood66

Brighton also had no parachute payments, so 2 out of 3 went up without them. Red herring mate.
Marcus Evans on 19:02 - May 29 with 5877 viewsBenters

Marcus Evans on 19:00 - May 29 by blueblood66

Brighton also had no parachute payments, so 2 out of 3 went up without them. Red herring mate.

This

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Marcus Evans on 19:17 - May 29 with 5860 viewsPhilTWTD

In terms of investment Huddersfield's has been rather less than ours, which makes their achievement all the more remarkable. Under £12m wage bill (reportedly) to our £17.5m this season. They're probably in the bottom two or three in the division wages-wise.
Marcus Evans on 19:20 - May 29 with 5826 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Evans on 19:17 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

In terms of investment Huddersfield's has been rather less than ours, which makes their achievement all the more remarkable. Under £12m wage bill (reportedly) to our £17.5m this season. They're probably in the bottom two or three in the division wages-wise.

Didn't realise that!

Deffo think their model is worth raising with the Town hierarchy when you next interview then.

Let's get prices down and the stadium full..... attractive football would help.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Marcus Evans on 19:22 - May 29 with 5809 viewsBenters

Marcus Evans on 19:20 - May 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

Didn't realise that!

Deffo think their model is worth raising with the Town hierarchy when you next interview then.

You cant get the prices down this season,the season tickets have been sold.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Marcus Evans on 19:34 - May 29 with 5762 viewsChocorange

Marcus Evans on 19:22 - May 29 by Benters

You cant get the prices down this season,the season tickets have been sold.

I was at the Huddersfield away game , season before last in March when they announced the season ticket price for this season would be just £189.... I was amazed then with the prices we have to pay.

A year and a bit further on , they have had full stadiums all season, a rocking atmosphere with away fans be t to the home ones that make all their noise.
No doubt they have made lots more from selling beer pies and burgers and had a successful season to boot ...helped with a full house of supportive fans....
Contrast that to ITFC.

And now the best reward of all for them. Fully deserve it!

Though I will miss the visits to the Gas club, where the beer was cheap, a friendly place and my kids always ( for the last 4 seasons) played football against the local kids in the middle of the floor and the home fans were amongst the friendliest, buying us beers..( not the kids!)

Oh and they apparently finished 19th last season and 16th to 19th in each of the last four seasons , so with a bit of change .... It can be done !
Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans on 19:37 - May 29 with 5738 viewsCoco

And without Mick mccarthy.

Does this mean there is someone else out there?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Marcus Evans on 19:59 - May 29 with 5679 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 19:20 - May 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

Didn't realise that!

I've quizzed them on the season ticket pricing thing a few times (see the articles below). The approach cost Huddersfield a million quid, cash they then couldn't spend on players, which was a big gamble, which, of course, they have won.

In terms of fanbase their situation was fairly different to ours a year or so ago when they brought it in. They needed to build theirs in an area with plenty of other clubs (with Bradford having instigated the very low season ticket initiative a couple of years ago). Town have had - and hopefully temporary drop-off aside will continue to have - a bigger established base. Whether Town are now in a position where they need to do something similarly radical to tempt back those stayaway fans is a point for discussion.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/29215/milne-the-championships-going-to-g

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31367/milne-we-must-bring-back-younger-f

This post has been edited by an administrator
Marcus Evans on 20:01 - May 29 with 5655 viewstractorboy1978

Marcus Evans on 19:59 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

I've quizzed them on the season ticket pricing thing a few times (see the articles below). The approach cost Huddersfield a million quid, cash they then couldn't spend on players, which was a big gamble, which, of course, they have won.

In terms of fanbase their situation was fairly different to ours a year or so ago when they brought it in. They needed to build theirs in an area with plenty of other clubs (with Bradford having instigated the very low season ticket initiative a couple of years ago). Town have had - and hopefully temporary drop-off aside will continue to have - a bigger established base. Whether Town are now in a position where they need to do something similarly radical to tempt back those stayaway fans is a point for discussion.

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/29215/milne-the-championships-going-to-g

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31367/milne-we-must-bring-back-younger-f

A good job we didn't make a decision that cost us £1m.
Marcus Evans on 20:06 - May 29 with 5623 viewsitfcjoe

Marcus Evans on 19:00 - May 29 by blueblood66

Brighton have been spending like they have parachute payments for the last few years - they are proof of nothing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marcus Evans on 20:11 - May 29 with 5603 viewschristiand

Marcus Evans on 19:34 - May 29 by Chocorange

I was at the Huddersfield away game , season before last in March when they announced the season ticket price for this season would be just £189.... I was amazed then with the prices we have to pay.

A year and a bit further on , they have had full stadiums all season, a rocking atmosphere with away fans be t to the home ones that make all their noise.
No doubt they have made lots more from selling beer pies and burgers and had a successful season to boot ...helped with a full house of supportive fans....
Contrast that to ITFC.

Though I will miss the visits to the Gas club, where the beer was cheap, a friendly place and my kids always ( for the last 4 seasons) played football against the local kids in the middle of the floor and the home fans were amongst the friendliest, buying us beers..( not the kids!)

Oh and they apparently finished 19th last season and 16th to 19th in each of the last four seasons , so with a bit of change .... It can be done !

Chocorange couldn't agree more. Our management seems to look solely at the tickets sold instead of the 'whole' package of what a match day represents. When I took my two to games apart from the tickets, they would both want a programme, refreshments and eats at half time and although both are Spurs fans they would insist on a visit to Planet Blue before we went home where invariably we'd buy some merchandise. Now this can't be me just me? Surely, with more in attendance for games more revenue is generated through other aspects of the club? Can't ME see that? Perhaps for next season we could play The Specials' Ghost Town as the players come on to the pitch due to the empty stands?

If what Phil says, their wage bill is £5m less than ours, then the football on offer from our boys is inexcusable, but MM implies and some on here have stated that due to the lack of funding that's the best we can offer? That's what an extra £5m brings you.....crap, long ball football! This to me, highlights MM's shortcomings as a manager and a coach. Huddersfield play a brand of football far superior to us and that isn't down to money, it's the quality and limitations of his coaching.

Huddersfield's promotion should put Ipswich Town FC to shame and they should be embarrassed. If you have an owner who is forward thinking and who creatively thinks outside the box things can be achieved. If you have a manager that encourages decent football and coaches the players well promotion can be attained to the promised land. Unfortunately, in both cases, we fall well short. However, if both ME and MM swallow their pride and use Huddersfield's business model as a foundation perhaps this could be us in a few seasons; I very much doubt it. It will be the modern Ipswich way, stick your head in the sand, make excuses for our failings and hope that it comes good, which we all know it won't!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Marcus Evans on 20:21 - May 29 with 5555 viewsCoco

Marcus Evans on 20:11 - May 29 by christiand

Chocorange couldn't agree more. Our management seems to look solely at the tickets sold instead of the 'whole' package of what a match day represents. When I took my two to games apart from the tickets, they would both want a programme, refreshments and eats at half time and although both are Spurs fans they would insist on a visit to Planet Blue before we went home where invariably we'd buy some merchandise. Now this can't be me just me? Surely, with more in attendance for games more revenue is generated through other aspects of the club? Can't ME see that? Perhaps for next season we could play The Specials' Ghost Town as the players come on to the pitch due to the empty stands?

If what Phil says, their wage bill is £5m less than ours, then the football on offer from our boys is inexcusable, but MM implies and some on here have stated that due to the lack of funding that's the best we can offer? That's what an extra £5m brings you.....crap, long ball football! This to me, highlights MM's shortcomings as a manager and a coach. Huddersfield play a brand of football far superior to us and that isn't down to money, it's the quality and limitations of his coaching.

Huddersfield's promotion should put Ipswich Town FC to shame and they should be embarrassed. If you have an owner who is forward thinking and who creatively thinks outside the box things can be achieved. If you have a manager that encourages decent football and coaches the players well promotion can be attained to the promised land. Unfortunately, in both cases, we fall well short. However, if both ME and MM swallow their pride and use Huddersfield's business model as a foundation perhaps this could be us in a few seasons; I very much doubt it. It will be the modern Ipswich way, stick your head in the sand, make excuses for our failings and hope that it comes good, which we all know it won't!

Our last forward thinking owner was hounded out.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Marcus Evans on 20:32 - May 29 with 5528 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 20:11 - May 29 by christiand

The point about the additional Planet Blue/refreshment purchases made by larger crowds making up the difference if prices are reduced has been put to the club under various regimes and they've always said that wouldn't be the case.

The danger of cutting your income by £1 million is that it can make you less competitive, of course, and, in the current climate, could end in relegation. Was a big risk from Huddersfield's perspective and from their position and hats off to them that it came off.

The comparison with Town I made doesn't give the full context as our wage bill is about 18th in the division. Other clubs - Norwich, Villa, Wednesday, Derby, Fulham - will have wage bills four, five or six times Huddersfield's.
Marcus Evans on 20:32 - May 29 with 5520 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Evans on 19:59 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

Sounds a very complacent approach to me, in this era you can't rely on being the only club in the area to sell tickets. People have so many other choices of how to spend time.

No club gets promoted without a gamble of some sort. We gambled on a club record signing of Marcus Stewart when we got promoted, the board could have to Burley to make do with free scoring Johnno.

Marcus Evans on 20:43 - May 29 with 5477 viewsVic

Marcus Evans on 19:34 - May 29 by Chocorange

Contrast that to ITFC.

Your last paragraph is interesting and makes me wonder whether they would have sustained the improvement in results next season had they not got promostion. Did they just get lucky this season? We'll never know. Had we won the P/O's a couple of seasons ago when we had our chance we'd be in a very different situation now I suspect.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Marcus Evans on 20:45 - May 29 with 5466 viewschristiand

Marcus Evans on 20:32 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

The point about the additional Planet Blue/refreshment purchases made by larger crowds making up the difference if prices are reduced has been put to the club under various regimes and they've always said that wouldn't be the case.

The danger of cutting your income by £1 million is that it can make you less competitive, of course, and, in the current climate, could end in relegation. Was a big risk from Huddersfield's perspective and from their position and hats off to them that it came off.

The comparison with Town I made doesn't give the full context as our wage bill is about 18th in the division. Other clubs - Norwich, Villa, Wednesday, Derby, Fulham - will have wage bills four, five or six times Huddersfield's.

Why don't the club listen Phil? Many on here were saying about the impact of ticket pricing, but still they went ahead and made a horrendous decision and look what happens? Still too embarrassed to give us the official season ticket figure for next season, it's all gone very quiet on this matter. The club just seem to come up with excuses for any practical ideas, instantly thinking it will fail. Whose fault is it to cut their budget by £1m, due to ridiculous pricing - what did they really expect?! The club needs to show a bit of leadership, for their own failures, instead of making excuses. After all, they have created this mess, but it's what they are going to do about it is what I'm interested in Phil. The fact Huddersfield have full houses for most home games, play decent football, have reasonable ticket prices and a wage bill far less than our own - looks like us Ipswich fans have been taken for mugs and the club think it's acceptable!

Marcus Evans on 22:33 - May 29 with 5297 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 20:45 - May 29 by christiand

Why don't the club listen Phil? Many on here were saying about the impact of ticket pricing, but still they went ahead and made a horrendous decision and look what happens? Still too embarrassed to give us the official season ticket figure for next season, it's all gone very quiet on this matter. The club just seem to come up with excuses for any practical ideas, instantly thinking it will fail. Whose fault is it to cut their budget by £1m, due to ridiculous pricing - what did they really expect?! The club needs to show a bit of leadership, for their own failures, instead of making excuses. After all, they have created this mess, but it's what they are going to do about it is what I'm interested in Phil. The fact Huddersfield have full houses for most home games, play decent football, have reasonable ticket prices and a wage bill far less than our own - looks like us Ipswich fans have been taken for mugs and the club think it's acceptable!

The impact of increasing season tickets was predicted by plenty of people at the club, indeed I know the thinking from those at the club on a day to day basis was that there should be a reduction. However, ME overruled them. From what I gather he now accepts that was wrong.

There were some more forward-thinking initiatives in the pricing, the introduction of the under-23s ticket due to the drop-off in that age group was a positive, but that sort of thing was rather drowned by the wider increase, the mishandled the restructuring of senior citizens tickets and overlooking mature students.

Think they plan to comment on season ticket sales when when they announce matchday ticketing - I'm told good news which I take to be a reduction - and the more flexible initiatives Ian Milne mentioned on Life's a Pitch at the end of the season, when he accepted the expectation that numbers would be down to below 10,000, incidentally. They've been having meetings on that front and was told the other day confirmation not far off.

Marcus Evans on 22:34 - May 29 with 5288 viewsArgyle_blue

That's one way to do it and it's obviously worked for Huddersfield. I'd settle for any kind of plan that set out the vision that Marcus Evans has for the club. I don't understand how being associated with a brand of dull mediocre football can be beneficial to his company or how having an aimless club demonstrates his business acumen. As a fan there's nothing I can buy into. I gave up my season ticket 3 years ago and can't say I've regretted it. Could be tempted back but I've seen nothing on or off the pitch to make that likely.
[Post edited 29 May 2017 22:35]
Marcus Evans on 23:26 - May 29 with 5210 viewschristiand

Marcus Evans on 22:33 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

The impact of increasing season tickets was predicted by plenty of people at the club, indeed I know the thinking from those at the club on a day to day basis was that there should be a reduction. However, ME overruled them. From what I gather he now accepts that was wrong.

There were some more forward-thinking initiatives in the pricing, the introduction of the under-23s ticket due to the drop-off in that age group was a positive, but that sort of thing was rather drowned by the wider increase, the mishandled the restructuring of senior citizens tickets and overlooking mature students.

Think they plan to comment on season ticket sales when when they announce matchday ticketing - I'm told good news which I take to be a reduction - and the more flexible initiatives Ian Milne mentioned on Life's a Pitch at the end of the season, when he accepted the expectation that numbers would be down to below 10,000, incidentally. They've been having meetings on that front and was told the other day confirmation not far off.

Cheers Phil, you must feel you repeat yourself to me regarding season ticket sales, but appreciate your input. I just can't help myself when there is a thread that pushes the right buttons. I'm just climbing down from my soap-box now, you'll be pleased to read.

Marcus Evans on 08:21 - May 30 with 5050 viewsNorthern_Blue81

Marcus Evans on 20:32 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

It was a risk on paper, but, they were confident and had confidence in their structure, manager and coaches.

Does ME have any confidence in MM as a coach and manager to play our way out of the division?
Marcus Evans on 08:37 - May 30 with 5034 viewsitfcjoe

Marcus Evans on 22:34 - May 29 by Argyle_blue

That's one way to do it and it's obviously worked for Huddersfield. I'd settle for any kind of plan that set out the vision that Marcus Evans has for the club. I don't understand how being associated with a brand of dull mediocre football can be beneficial to his company or how having an aimless club demonstrates his business acumen. As a fan there's nothing I can buy into. I gave up my season ticket 3 years ago and can't say I've regretted it. Could be tempted back but I've seen nothing on or off the pitch to make that likely.
[Post edited 29 May 2017 22:35]

But there is a plan that has been clearly set out and is being followed in the most part - it's just whether that will ultimately be succesful that is a bigger question which I have my doubts about
[Post edited 30 May 2017 8:55]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marcus Evans on 08:49 - May 30 with 5020 viewsBackToRussia

Marcus Evans on 22:33 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

Jesus if he can barely accept he's wrong after all that, we've got no hope for any bigger changes to approach.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Marcus Evans on 09:01 - May 30 with 4994 viewsNo9

That analysis shows that, with the right team management and the right tactics it can be done then Phil?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024