Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? 09:13 - May 30 with 6220 viewsitfcjoe

1 — ‘To provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy, enabling a steady flow of players into the first-team’
I think that's fair and we are, if you look at the goals of the academy then we have achieved them this season*

2 — ‘To provide a sustainable and competitive squad salary budget’
These are words that are very open to interpretation - but for me the 18th highest wage bill may be sustainable but is not competitive

3 — ‘To make annual investment funds available to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development’
With the signings of Ward, Webster and even Rowe then this one appears to have been completed

4 — ‘Maintaining a stable management and coaching team’
A resounding yes, much to a lot of fans annoyance

5 — ‘To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football’
The football has been poor for the majority of the last 18 months, but does feel as though the squad has got technically better in this team. Just needs Mick to trust these players and allow them to play a better style of football. Feels unlikely at the moment.

Overall
We aren't far off the plan, just needs a bit more investment and better football. Will we see either? I doubt it. Will the plan lead to success? I doubt it.

Oh well, ITID.

* http://www.itfc-academy.com/our-club/
To produce one player per season who makes a minimum of 5 appearances in the 1st team
To produce one player per season who (as a loan player) makes regular appearance in the 1st team of a Football League Club
To ensure that 3 players graduate from U18 squad to PDL squad
To ensure a minimum of 60% of Scholars have come from Ipswich Town’s Academy registered schoolboys

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 09:25 - May 30 with 4656 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Point 1 - OK, seems to be a good few players coming through. Although a lack of trust in any offensive youngsters.

Point 2 - Failing.

Point 3 - I think Ward and Webster reflect this policy, Rowe is a very cheap gamble as opposed to a strategic investment. Is 2 players per year enough? Failing.

Point 4 - What good is a 'stable' management team if it doesnt produce good football or good results? Failing,

Point 5 - Failing.

I dont really think we are on track.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 09:36 - May 30 with 4612 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 09:25 - May 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

Point 1 - OK, seems to be a good few players coming through. Although a lack of trust in any offensive youngsters.

Point 2 - Failing.

Point 3 - I think Ward and Webster reflect this policy, Rowe is a very cheap gamble as opposed to a strategic investment. Is 2 players per year enough? Failing.

Point 4 - What good is a 'stable' management team if it doesnt produce good football or good results? Failing,

Point 5 - Failing.

I dont really think we are on track.

Point 4 - what you're saying is you don't agree with objective there, not that the management team hasn't been stable

As for point 3, how many players in this mound do you think we should be signing, per season? I think Ward and Webster is a fairly decent return (agree with your point re Rowe), but the real proof in the pudding for me will be what we do this Summer

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 09:55 - May 30 with 4559 viewsSWGF

I've always been intrigued by number 5.

It's the only one that the manager can be judged on, yet is a subjective matter. Ignoring the fact you can have one without the other, who decides what is attractive and/or exciting? What are the criteria it's measured by?
[Post edited 30 May 2017 9:55]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:13 - May 30 with 4517 viewsitfcjoe

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 09:55 - May 30 by SWGF

It's the only one that the manager can be judged on, yet is a subjective matter. Ignoring the fact you can have one without the other, who decides what is attractive and/or exciting? What are the criteria it's measured by?

It's the same as the 'competitive' squad budget - if I'd have put words like that when i used to have set objectives I'd have been moaned at by my seniors and made to redo them as they don't meet any measurable criteria.

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:14 - May 30 with 4507 viewsRocky

Goal tally, pass completion, possesssion percentage perhaps? But the top criteria would surely be an increase in ticket sales to watch the "attractive/exciting" football.
In all areas that can be measured we seem to be failing.
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:19 - May 30 with 4486 viewsDebenBlue

Wasn't the 5 point plan only announced in Jan after the Lincoln debacle ?? If so surely it's far too soon to ascertain if any of the points are being adhered too, with the exception of point 5, albeit safety 1st had to be the objective.

The summer, pre season and End of the transfer window will show the clubs true intentions, all I'm confident what I think will happen.
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:20 - May 30 with 4478 viewsblueblood66

EVANS OUT
[Post edited 30 May 2017 10:21]
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:25 - May 30 with 4459 viewsDoobDude

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:19 - May 30 by DebenBlue

Wasn't the 5 point plan only announced in Jan after the Lincoln debacle ?? If so surely it's far too soon to ascertain if any of the points are being adhered too, with the exception of point 5, albeit safety 1st had to be the objective.

The summer, pre season and End of the transfer window will show the clubs true intentions, all I'm confident what I think will happen.

Think it was just before the Lincoln games.
But the plan is already worthless because the owner would have sacked the manager if he was serious about it.

It came about because many fans were moaning about what the long term plan was? So they just copied one from another club.

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Huh? I... I don't know that ... Auuuuuuuugh.
Poll: Whi is getting sold to fund the Webster Signing

Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:32 - May 30 with 4435 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

Perhaps we misread what the 5 point plan is, perhaps that is the target amount for next season!!!!!!!

There really need to be a huge shake up next season if we are to avoid a struggle next year.
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:33 - May 30 with 4433 viewsitfcjoe

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:14 - May 30 by Rocky

Goal tally, pass completion, possesssion percentage perhaps? But the top criteria would surely be an increase in ticket sales to watch the "attractive/exciting" football.

But 'winning' football gets fans back, and is normally exciting.

They are just words, and generally it is much easier to judge whatt isn't attractive as to what is.

Huddersfield are seen as bastions of good football now - but they scored just 8 more goals than us over the season, and 22 of their 25 wins were by a single goal. In the play offs their only goal across 330 minutes of football was an OG by Tom Lees.....
[Post edited 30 May 2017 10:35]

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:36 - May 30 with 4421 viewsNo9

This, Joe, is executive speak.
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:36 - May 30 with 4427 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 09:36 - May 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Point 4 - what you're saying is you don't agree with objective there, not that the management team hasn't been stable

As for point 3, how many players in this mound do you think we should be signing, per season? I think Ward and Webster is a fairly decent return (agree with your point re Rowe), but the real proof in the pudding for me will be what we do this Summer

Point 4 - Yes, youre probably right. No point in having a stable management team if its the wrong team. Also, Mick McCarthy is anything but stable! ;-)

Point 3 - I would expect a target of about 4 of these signings per year, especially if you consider we will sell at least 1 'top' player per season. The cost of Webster and Ward totalled something between £1-1.5m, so 4 of those signings could be around £2-3m.
[Post edited 30 May 2017 10:42]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:42 - May 30 with 4407 viewsitfcjoe

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:36 - May 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

Point 4 - Yes, youre probably right. No point in having a stable management team if its the wrong team. Also, Mick McCarthy is anything but stable! ;-)

Point 3 - I would expect a target of about 4 of these signings per year, especially if you consider we will sell at least 1 'top' player per season. The cost of Webster and Ward totalled something between £1-1.5m, so 4 of those signings could be around £2-3m.
[Post edited 30 May 2017 10:42]

No idea what happedned but my post was blank.

Think it would be too much to integrate 4 oyoungsters like that in a year, 2 is probably right.

But that 2 needs to be supplemented with 2 high profile free agents (McG, Skuse, Berra, Chambers, Murphy, style) - i.e. 25-28, high wage earner in the squad, 200 games plus and established at this level. And 1-2 PL loanees.

if we did that every summer then we'd be getting somewhere, but will we? I doubt it
[Post edited 30 May 2017 10:44]

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:49 - May 30 with 4368 viewsSWGF

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:14 - May 30 by Rocky

Reading's pass completion and possessions stats are probably high. Is it "exciting" football?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:51 - May 30 with 4357 viewsitfcjoe

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:49 - May 30 by SWGF

Reading's pass completion and possessions stats are probably high. Is it "exciting" football?

I do think one of our biggest problems for style of football is that most fans compare it to PL football, and don't watch much other Championship stuff - which is on the whole pretty rubbish wit a few notable exceptions.

Better players do tend to play better football, that's where we lack in the main

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:57 - May 30 with 4327 viewschristiand

You can't really justify that the football over the last 20 months has been entertaining or attractive. Fulham or Huddersfield = equates to point 5 of our plan. Currently, our style of play is light-years away.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:00 - May 30 with 4287 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:42 - May 30 by itfcjoe

No idea what happedned but my post was blank.

Think it would be too much to integrate 4 oyoungsters like that in a year, 2 is probably right.

But that 2 needs to be supplemented with 2 high profile free agents (McG, Skuse, Berra, Chambers, Murphy, style) - i.e. 25-28, high wage earner in the squad, 200 games plus and established at this level. And 1-2 PL loanees.

if we did that every summer then we'd be getting somewhere, but will we? I doubt it
[Post edited 30 May 2017 10:44]

2 may be first teamers, and 2 may be squad ('group') players.

I dont think 4 good quality, young additions is an unrealistic ask.

I agree re the high profile free agents, although I wouldnt put McG or Skuse in that category at the time of signing.

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:01 - May 30 with 4290 viewsElderGrizzly

I think that's a really good and fair summary Joe.

The big investment is not going to happen, so we need to find another way and we won't be the only ones. I linked a couple of stories this morning (below) that show how clubs will need to think differently

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/nine-players-from-league-one-league-two-and-the-nati

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/german-gems-five-potential-norwich-cit

Norwich are going down the free transfer and PL loan route apparently (as well as the cheap German route) looking to have at least 3 PL loans in their first XI.

On the academy,I don't think a lot of people realise how much it costs every year to run. Enough for 4 or 5 first teamers on £10k a week wages was the last estimate.

The coaching team is clearly stable, but the structure needs some support. The DoF is now clearly lacking.
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:03 - May 30 with 4271 viewsElderGrizzly

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:49 - May 30 by SWGF

Highest in the Championship apparently at just under 58% across the season?

And their fans were calling for Stam's head in December due to boring football and they were happily in the top 6.
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:07 - May 30 with 4256 viewsNo9

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:01 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

I think that's a really good and fair summary Joe.

The big investment is not going to happen, so we need to find another way and we won't be the only ones. I linked a couple of stories this morning (below) that show how clubs will need to think differently

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/nine-players-from-league-one-league-two-and-the-nati

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/german-gems-five-potential-norwich-cit

Norwich are going down the free transfer and PL loan route apparently (as well as the cheap German route) looking to have at least 3 PL loans in their first XI.

On the academy,I don't think a lot of people realise how much it costs every year to run. Enough for 4 or 5 first teamers on £10k a week wages was the last estimate.

The coaching team is clearly stable, but the structure needs some support. The DoF is now clearly lacking.

Reputedly the budgies opted for a German manager soecifically to tap into a rich vein of young German players who have come through since their change of tact after bad international performances.
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:15 - May 30 with 4228 viewsElderGrizzly

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:07 - May 30 by No9

Reputedly the budgies opted for a German manager soecifically to tap into a rich vein of young German players who have come through since their change of tact after bad international performances.

They've opted to do it, purely because their new DoF did it at Huddersfield and it worked, as we saw yesterday.

Can he repeat it though?
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:17 - May 30 with 4219 viewsHarryWright

To be honest out 5 points to only hit 3 isn't a great return. Agree that 1 has been meant but looking at individual cases there are points where it ha failed, for example Douglas playing ahead of some of our younger players.
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:23 - May 30 with 4189 viewsmaccyd9

The 5 point plan is generic management speak and doesn't mean anything. It's a ploy to muddy the waters and confuse fans as to what is the target and whether that target is met.

Any owner worth his salt should have a 1 point plan..... to be successful.

In which case, 5 point plan or not, lowest league finish for 60 years, dwindling crowds, 20% reduction in season ticket sales, prices going up ....it's a resounding FAIL.
Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:25 - May 30 with 4175 viewsSWGF

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 10:57 - May 30 by christiand

You can't really justify that the football over the last 20 months has been entertaining or attractive. Fulham or Huddersfield = equates to point 5 of our plan. Currently, our style of play is light-years away.

Not justifying anything. Agree that the football has been stupefyingly poor, in the main.

Was questioning how it's to be measured and by whom.

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:36 - May 30 with 4137 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Marcus Evans - 5 point plan. How is it going? on 11:15 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

They've opted to do it, purely because their new DoF did it at Huddersfield and it worked, as we saw yesterday.

Can he repeat it though?

Did they really need a DoF to say why dont you try Dortmunds reserve coach?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024