Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil 11:14 - May 30 with 4029 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Whenever the board are asked about the Huddersfield season ticket model, we are told that to adopt a similar approach would cost us £1m.

When the board have stated this figure, have they ever explained what assumptions they made and how it was calculated?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:17 - May 30 with 4007 viewsElderGrizzly

The figure came from the Huddersfield Chairman I believe. I'll try and dig out the link and think it was more than £1m.

It's worked though, they went from 8,000 two seasons ago to 17,522 for next season. Sales were stopped before the PL status known
[Post edited 30 May 2017 11:17]
Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:24 - May 30 with 3961 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:17 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

The figure came from the Huddersfield Chairman I believe. I'll try and dig out the link and think it was more than £1m.

It's worked though, they went from 8,000 two seasons ago to 17,522 for next season. Sales were stopped before the PL status known
[Post edited 30 May 2017 11:17]

Their most expensive season ticket went from £295 per season down to £179 per season from what I have read. A c.40% discount.

Given the attendance more than doubling, if the pricing strategy reflected similar discounts across the board, I cant see how that would incur a cost of £1m.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:25 - May 30 with 3957 viewskizaitfc

I wonder how much they consider the add on effects it has though.

The more fans attending, the fans may be more tempted by away games, the more fans will be tempted to pay on the gate, more tempted to purchase merchandise, food, drink, programmes, etc.

Once they are all there even if you increase the tickets by £20, they are unlikely to not renew so the deficit of the deal decreases but fans are still happy to shell out as it is far less than before and a full ground leads to a good atmosphere and a good day out.

The surrounding areas of the town packed with supporters so good for the overall town! unless your driving around Ipswich which because an absolute nightmare.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:30 - May 30 with 3933 viewsElderGrizzly

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:24 - May 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

Their most expensive season ticket went from £295 per season down to £179 per season from what I have read. A c.40% discount.

Given the attendance more than doubling, if the pricing strategy reflected similar discounts across the board, I cant see how that would incur a cost of £1m.

They ranged from £295 to £560. £295 was the cheapest standard ticket apparently.

Attendances haven't doubled, they've just converted a lot of 'casual fans' into ST holders

Average attendances fell over the past three seasons from 15,068 in 2012/13 to 13,541 in 2015/16. For season just gone (16/17) it was 20,300
[Post edited 30 May 2017 11:32]
Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:34 - May 30 with 3925 viewsPhilTWTD

As per ElderG, not a figure which came from Town but from Huddersfield:

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/handing-back-1m-not-impact-10
Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:39 - May 30 with 3890 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:34 - May 30 by PhilTWTD

As per ElderG, not a figure which came from Town but from Huddersfield:

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/handing-back-1m-not-impact-10

Very pleased for Mr Hoyle a very sensible approach, and he also makes a similar point I made yesterday;

“Twenty or 25 years ago there was nothing much else to do on a Saturday afternoon. Now you can do anything you want and football has to compete with cinemas and shopping to get bums on seats.”

Our board is complacent beyond belief.

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:43 - May 30 with 3874 viewsIpswichTownNL

Off-Topic but maybe it's an interesting idea for Town. Dutch Club Fc Den Bosch introduced a 'pay per point' season ticket.

Supporters only pay a € 25,- administration fee. They pay € 10,- for a win, € 5 for a draw and € 0,- for a loss.

Dutch Tractor Boys! Follow on Twitter; @IpswichTownNL

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 12:14 - May 30 with 3800 viewsjontysnut

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:25 - May 30 by kizaitfc

The more fans attending, the fans may be more tempted by away games, the more fans will be tempted to pay on the gate, more tempted to purchase merchandise, food, drink, programmes, etc.

Once they are all there even if you increase the tickets by £20, they are unlikely to not renew so the deficit of the deal decreases but fans are still happy to shell out as it is far less than before and a full ground leads to a good atmosphere and a good day out.

The surrounding areas of the town packed with supporters so good for the overall town! unless your driving around Ipswich which because an absolute nightmare.

Huddersfield have to work to keep the casual supporter - not far from Manchester/Sheffield/Leeds by train. They done something similar to Bradford - build a brand, get people to identify with the club, make it reasonable to come and once they're in try and keep them.
Login to get fewer ads

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 12:21 - May 30 with 3786 viewsReuser_is_God

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:39 - May 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

Very pleased for Mr Hoyle a very sensible approach, and he also makes a similar point I made yesterday;

“Twenty or 25 years ago there was nothing much else to do on a Saturday afternoon. Now you can do anything you want and football has to compete with cinemas and shopping to get bums on seats.”

Our board is complacent beyond belief.

I don't really understand that analogy though? Shops & cinemas still existed 25 years ago therefore football was up against those then as well as now.

Any football fan would rather go football than cinema &/or shopping. The trouble football has is people falling out of love with the game.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 12:25 - May 30 with 3757 viewsPilgrimblue

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 12:21 - May 30 by Reuser_is_God

I don't really understand that analogy though? Shops & cinemas still existed 25 years ago therefore football was up against those then as well as now.

Any football fan would rather go football than cinema &/or shopping. The trouble football has is people falling out of love with the game.

And that's easy to see why in Ipswich. Pricing policy to copy Huddersfield would only work if MM resigned and we played like them or Bournemouth.
Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 12:26 - May 30 with 3755 viewsIllinoisblue

win and they will come, it's as simple as that.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 12:37 - May 30 with 3701 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That wasnt my analagy, my point was that there are far more options these days for kids (next gen fans) competing with going to watch ITFC inc social media, streaming of Prem footy etc etc.

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 12:38 - May 30 with 3700 viewsTheBlueBarca

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:24 - May 30 by Marshalls_Mullet

Assuming we adopted that model - the ST income, even at 30k buying them would be roughly £5,370,000 so at the 10k at present that would be just £1,790,000 income.

At present prices ST at 10k sales still bring in more than £4,230,000 which is roughly only 1million less than the Huddersfield price at the stadium being full at that cheaper price. We wouldn't sell 30k, even at that price so the club would be somewhat mad to adopt that model.

Assuming the former regular 15k renewed at the Huddersfield price, we would still be losing a lot of money to gain very little extra attendance.

Lets face it, the issue isn't just a pricing one. People would stump up over £800 a year for a ST if we were in the Premiership, and the £600 or so it is now for the top price if the football was good and the team was competing. It's because the owner is seen as someone not willing to put his own cash in, the fans are just following suit, especially as hes one of the richest people in the country.
[Post edited 30 May 2017 12:39]

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 12:42 - May 30 with 3675 viewsTractorWood

Huddersfield's model is excellent for pricing but it's also part of a wider strategy to get people motivated to come and generate a feel good factor. For example they've gambled on a younger manager with a transfer strategy that's been ruthlessly backed, they seem to have a passionate owner who is actually a fan.

Like whenever England fail at a major tournament and a new footballing power emerges, the FA say 'we need to play the Spanish way',' we need better coaching infrastructure like Germany' or 'we need flair everywhere like Brazil', all this serves to do is attempt to replicate a strategy less effectively slightly too late.

What Ipswich need to do is adopt a strategy with winning and success at its heart, the 5 point plan is just about bobbing along against a backdrop we can't compete with. 'We need stable management' I think this is meant to mean we don't sack our manager every 5 minutes but it actually means our manager has the safest job in football and can make the same tactical errors for months on end whilst radio Suffolk ask MM what he thinks of a team he use to play for 30 years ago.
[Post edited 30 May 2017 13:04]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 13:16 - May 30 with 3580 viewsGuthrum

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 12:42 - May 30 by TractorWood

Huddersfield's model is excellent for pricing but it's also part of a wider strategy to get people motivated to come and generate a feel good factor. For example they've gambled on a younger manager with a transfer strategy that's been ruthlessly backed, they seem to have a passionate owner who is actually a fan.

Like whenever England fail at a major tournament and a new footballing power emerges, the FA say 'we need to play the Spanish way',' we need better coaching infrastructure like Germany' or 'we need flair everywhere like Brazil', all this serves to do is attempt to replicate a strategy less effectively slightly too late.

What Ipswich need to do is adopt a strategy with winning and success at its heart, the 5 point plan is just about bobbing along against a backdrop we can't compete with. 'We need stable management' I think this is meant to mean we don't sack our manager every 5 minutes but it actually means our manager has the safest job in football and can make the same tactical errors for months on end whilst radio Suffolk ask MM what he thinks of a team he use to play for 30 years ago.
[Post edited 30 May 2017 13:04]

A lot of it boils down to "how much is the owner prepared to subsidise the club?"

Hoyle gambled and won (but only just, on the play-off penalty lottery).

Evans also gambled for a few seasons, but failed. He now, fairly understandably, seems unwilling to commit a large stake on another throw of the dice.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 13:26 - May 30 with 3548 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

The thing is we don't have to go to the extreme of the huddesfield prices, even if we say reduced the prices to £275 cheapest it would encourage enough people to make it worthwhile.

The crux of the matter is the club are taken the pi$$ out of us the supporters on a regular basis, be price increases, rubbish food/drink, over priced merchandise etc etc etc.
Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 13:34 - May 30 with 3531 viewshulltractor

I do believe Bradford have adopted a similar scheme under their new German owners. Their ground is packed out on a regular basis and they very nearly gained promotion. ITFC Really does need to get its head around a different system as if not we are doomed to relegation at some point in the very n ear future. 51 points is the benchmark for next season. Anyone confident that we will easily reach this figure with the current squad?. I for one am not.
Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 14:08 - May 30 with 3465 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 12:26 - May 30 by Illinoisblue

win and they will come, it's as simple as that.

Indeed

Much is being made of Huddersfield's overall philosophy and so forth but to me much of it is way OTT. Don't get me wrong, the pricing and so on is excellent and clearly something any supporter should want, but it's largely irrelevant to their success in my view

Their success can pretty much all be pinpointed to the appointment of exactly the right man in Wagner, and him getting it absolutely right. Had he been a disaster, then you'd still have a disgruntled fan base, less tickets sold and so on

Of course most clubs would want to be Huddersfield right now, but it's not as simple as just copying what they've done - as hopefully our friends up the road will find out soon

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 14:12 - May 30 with 3458 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 11:25 - May 30 by kizaitfc

Nah mate, put the prices up.

Poll: Best Football Song

Huddersfield Season Ticket prices - FAO Phil on 14:27 - May 30 with 3433 viewsArnieM

We shouldn't forget Huddersfield fans have had a fantastic "product" to watch.......Town cud make it free to enter and gates would still be low because the product is bloody poor. Utterly boring, mind blowingly defensive. Why the hell would people pay to watch this? Fans are "voting" with their feet after years of poor management cud leadership from the very top. So what do thd Club do??

Absolutely NOTHING!........The silence is deafening and does not bode well.
It's often said to "go back" is a mistake. But I'd love the likes of Burley to return as boss. But we need a new owner also because Evans has clearly lost all interest in his "toy" and we won't be rid of him until he gets the price he wants for the Club.

Sad times indeed. But are a sleeping giant in terms of potential and fan base.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024