Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Airport security 04:52 - May 31 with 5867 viewsWeWereZombies

Just arrived in departures after going through some twirly thing (a bit like those loos on trains) where you have to hold your hands above your head for a few seconds. Obviously I looked a wrong 'un and had the pat down, and then a comprehensive pat up to testicular level on both legs.

Eventually I am through, just found a 200ml carton of orange juice I had forgotten about in my pack!

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Airport security on 07:23 - May 31 with 5741 viewsNo9

"Eventually I am through, just found a 200ml carton of orange juice I had forgotten about in my pack!"

What I always found strange is that security will take liquids off you but as soon as you get through you can buy as much as you like.

Even dafter at LHR on one occasion, security took off me a lip salve. Once though I just went into boots and got another one

I have often wondered if there is some fix where someone can make a lot of moneyu from what security do as opposed to what they actually should do ???
Airport security on 07:28 - May 31 with 5725 viewsElderGrizzly

Airport security on 07:23 - May 31 by No9

"Eventually I am through, just found a 200ml carton of orange juice I had forgotten about in my pack!"

What I always found strange is that security will take liquids off you but as soon as you get through you can buy as much as you like.

Even dafter at LHR on one occasion, security took off me a lip salve. Once though I just went into boots and got another one

I have often wondered if there is some fix where someone can make a lot of moneyu from what security do as opposed to what they actually should do ???

Everything you buy airside has been screened. Simple as that.

Blame Richard Reid....
Airport security on 07:28 - May 31 with 5723 viewsStokieBlue

Isn't it more that they can (hopefully) control what makes it to the shops for sale after security whereas you can put any liquid in any bottle at home.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Airport security on 07:29 - May 31 with 5721 viewsElderGrizzly

Yeah, the twirly thing 'strips off' clothes so they can see if you have anything hiding below.

Quite neat bit if kit and picks up non-metallic objects
Airport security on 07:30 - May 31 with 5721 viewsWD19

I could be on course for a massive whoosh here......

.....but the ban on liquids is not because airlines are worried about you trying to take control of an aircraft tooled up with Capri Sun.

My understanding is because certain liquids can be a key component in a bomb and they haven't got the time to lab test every liquid that passes through - so they just ban them.

I haven't got insight into how stringent airside checks are for the shops so I imagine if you were a budding terrorist and had someone on the inside at WHSmiths you could get a case of something into the stock room - but I am hoping it is not easy.
[Post edited 31 May 2017 7:31]
Airport security on 07:34 - May 31 with 5701 viewsNo9

Airport security on 07:28 - May 31 by StokieBlue

Isn't it more that they can (hopefully) control what makes it to the shops for sale after security whereas you can put any liquid in any bottle at home.

SB

You have a point although I did have a long & involved conversation with the head of security at my local international airport on this very subject and he had no answer.
As to my other question " should someone who has been travelling through this airport for more than 40 years and is the holder of a major airline Platinum for Life card be subjected to security check?

To my complete surprise he suggested they should not.

I am grateful for security at Airports but at some it isn't very good
Airport security on 07:38 - May 31 with 5696 viewsElderGrizzly

Airport security on 07:30 - May 31 by WD19

.....but the ban on liquids is not because airlines are worried about you trying to take control of an aircraft tooled up with Capri Sun.

My understanding is because certain liquids can be a key component in a bomb and they haven't got the time to lab test every liquid that passes through - so they just ban them.

I haven't got insight into how stringent airside checks are for the shops so I imagine if you were a budding terrorist and had someone on the inside at WHSmiths you could get a case of something into the stock room - but I am hoping it is not easy.

You are correct.

The new ban on iPads and Laptops the USA are pushing for on all flights from Europe is also interesting. They're doing it to prevent someone bringing a bomb on a plane, but you can still set it off via Bluetooth in the hold where they will all be packed.

Passenger facing airport security is nothing more than a safety blanket
Airport security on 07:55 - May 31 with 5657 viewsNo9

Airport security on 07:38 - May 31 by ElderGrizzly

You are correct.

The new ban on iPads and Laptops the USA are pushing for on all flights from Europe is also interesting. They're doing it to prevent someone bringing a bomb on a plane, but you can still set it off via Bluetooth in the hold where they will all be packed.

Americans are strange people when it comes to things like this-
I once received an e-mail from an American who said I should not use a laptop of Airbus aircraft as the tables were magnetised ro interfere with the laptop performance.

That aside security in some US airports, on internal flights is almost zero
Login to get fewer ads

Airport security on 08:02 - May 31 with 5634 viewsIP12

Airport security on 07:38 - May 31 by ElderGrizzly

You are correct.

One of the current problems is the ability to construct an explosive device in flight. A laptop can provide a fair amount of storage space for the explosive charge itself. PanAm 103 was brought down using approx 250grms of military style explosive (that's the size of an average pack of butter). The device on the PanAm flight was randomly loaded in the hold so it could end up anywhere position-wise. A much smaller amount of similar style explosive placed by a cabin window could achieve a similar result because of the rapid decompression,
Airport security on 08:33 - May 31 with 5585 viewsGeoffSentence

I once got through security with an accidental knife. It was a small one, but razor sharp, and completely metal so I have no idea how they didn't detect it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Airport security on 08:38 - May 31 with 5579 viewsfeelingblue

Airport security on 07:28 - May 31 by StokieBlue

SB

Yes, although why 3 x 100ml of liquids could make a bomb, and 3 x 99ml of liquids couldn't, is a mystery.
Airport security on 08:43 - May 31 with 5566 viewsblue_oyster

The government now have the power to treat you like a terrorist, but are unable to stop real ones.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Airport security on 10:22 - May 31 with 5485 viewsSarge

Airport security on 07:30 - May 31 by WD19

It's all a charade to make you feel safe.

Doesn't make me feel safe though, it just pisses me off, so I look for alternate forms of transport.
Airport security on 18:01 - May 31 with 5355 viewsWeWereZombies

Airport security on 08:43 - May 31 by blue_oyster

The government now have the power to treat you like a terrorist, but are unable to stop real ones.

If it is any comfort, I went through the automated passport check in Berlin but got pulled over for a spot check, so which one of you works for the Polizei?

Oh, hang on - you probably all do...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Airport security on 18:12 - May 31 with 5333 viewslukey130490

coming back from dusseldorf when we were out there with the town, i got pulled aside after going through baggage check, taken into a room and my bag had been chosen for a 'random test for explosives'
Terrifying experience.
Airport security on 18:12 - May 31 with 5331 viewsBluefish

My last effort I forgot my belt and set the alarm off. The bloke asked and I remembered my belt. He then said why are you wearing a belt. Apparently my answer of to keep my trousers up wasn't amusing he got extremely angry and I was sent behind a curtain to remove my trousers

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Airport security on 18:21 - May 31 with 5312 viewscaught-in-limbo

Recently I have had to take the lenses off my cameras to be inspected or stand in the twirly thing even though I never activate a beep in the normal scanner.

So last time I visited Stanstead I asked why I had to step in the tardis when I hadn't beeped the previous detector.

"Random check" evidently.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Airport security on 18:25 - May 31 with 5301 viewsTIB

I got pulled aside for having a bottle of this in my carry on once...it was only when they pointed to it on the bag scanning screen I realised the bottle was grenade shaped

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Airport security on 18:30 - May 31 with 5284 viewscaught-in-limbo

Airport security on 18:25 - May 31 by TIB

I got pulled aside for having a bottle of this in my carry on once...it was only when they pointed to it on the bag scanning screen I realised the bottle was grenade shaped

#viktor&ROFL

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Airport security on 18:45 - May 31 with 5249 viewsSarge

Airport security on 18:12 - May 31 by Bluefish

My last effort I forgot my belt and set the alarm off. The bloke asked and I remembered my belt. He then said why are you wearing a belt. Apparently my answer of to keep my trousers up wasn't amusing he got extremely angry and I was sent behind a curtain to remove my trousers

I think they hire the 'missing links' to work in airport security. The people the traffic warden service didn't want.
Airport security on 18:48 - May 31 with 5244 viewsBoardPolice

Airport security on 18:01 - May 31 by WeWereZombies

If it is any comfort, I went through the automated passport check in Berlin but got pulled over for a spot check, so which one of you works for the Polizei?

Oh, hang on - you probably all do...

Well, there's the occasional bit of moonlighting.
Airport security on 19:53 - May 31 with 5188 viewsEireannach_gorm

Its unfortunate that they don't do the same to employees at the airport.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/06/03/egyptair-metrojet-flight-9268-airport-securit
Airport security on 19:58 - May 31 with 5183 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Airport security on 18:12 - May 31 by lukey130490

coming back from dusseldorf when we were out there with the town, i got pulled aside after going through baggage check, taken into a room and my bag had been chosen for a 'random test for explosives'
Terrifying experience.

We're you worried it would detect the drugs ?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Airport security on 20:41 - May 31 with 5134 viewsKeaneish

I remember my first flight!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Airport security on 21:24 - May 31 with 5098 viewslukey130490

Airport security on 19:58 - May 31 by BanksterDebtSlave

We're you worried it would detect the drugs ?

hahaha, there was no issues there
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024