Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Politics is so frustrating.... 08:59 - May 31 with 4501 viewsitfcjoe

....every time I start to feel a bit engaged I remember that my vote is utterly worthless in my constituency.
[Post edited 31 May 2017 8:59]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:02 - May 31 with 2938 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

And mine

It's a Tory certainty

Proportional representation is needed. The sooner the better

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:04 - May 31 with 2919 viewsVaughan8

Agreed. Local elections are always the same where I am from as well.

Then you think about the general election and there is only 2 parties who can realistically "win". They borh dont seem very convincing. A vote for any other party is mostly a waste (unless I'm missing something?)
Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:06 - May 31 with 2913 viewsLord_Lucan

My problem is that the MP I want does not match the colour of the party I want to vote for.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:08 - May 31 with 2894 viewsArcher4721

It doesn't seem to bother Glassers living in Scotland...Yet he tries to force things down our throats which don't even apply to him!
Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:12 - May 31 with 2880 viewsitfcjoe

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:06 - May 31 by Lord_Lucan

My problem is that the MP I want does not match the colour of the party I want to vote for.

You like Gummer then? I personally think he's been a good local MP for Ipswich - probably because it's a traditional swing seat so seems to get some decent investment.

Not the case in Central Suffolk and North Ipswich....

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:14 - May 31 with 2872 viewsitfcjoe

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:04 - May 31 by Vaughan8

Agreed. Local elections are always the same where I am from as well.

Then you think about the general election and there is only 2 parties who can realistically "win". They borh dont seem very convincing. A vote for any other party is mostly a waste (unless I'm missing something?)

Any vote is a waste where I am, 30k Tory majority and you could put anyone up here and they'd win if they were a Tory

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:14 - May 31 with 2867 viewstcblue

The problem is, by the time all of the landowners in each fiefdom send their messengers via horse with their vote, they will never be collated in time to call a winner, that's why votes are still local. And that's assuming the messengers don't get the plague
Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:28 - May 31 with 2853 viewsLord_Lucan

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:12 - May 31 by itfcjoe

You like Gummer then? I personally think he's been a good local MP for Ipswich - probably because it's a traditional swing seat so seems to get some decent investment.

Not the case in Central Suffolk and North Ipswich....

Yeah I think Gummer is a very good MP for Ipswich. Tomorrow he is joining the pub quiz at Ghe Royal George. I suspect resident quizmaster Tracy will be calling him a c*nt in front of everyone and most of the other teams names will be along the lines of a Bens Burger theme.

He really doesn't need to do this sort of thing but he is often in a pub in Ipswich quite happy to answer any questions or have a chit chat even when out with his family.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:32 - May 31 with 2822 viewsWD19

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:08 - May 31 by Archer4721

It doesn't seem to bother Glassers living in Scotland...Yet he tries to force things down our throats which don't even apply to him!

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:33 - May 31 with 2816 viewsWD19

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:28 - May 31 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah I think Gummer is a very good MP for Ipswich. Tomorrow he is joining the pub quiz at Ghe Royal George. I suspect resident quizmaster Tracy will be calling him a c*nt in front of everyone and most of the other teams names will be along the lines of a Bens Burger theme.

He really doesn't need to do this sort of thing but he is often in a pub in Ipswich quite happy to answer any questions or have a chit chat even when out with his family.

Fortunately your task is to vote for someone to represent you, not to vote for a party. That's the whole point.
Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:35 - May 31 with 2806 viewsLord_Lucan

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:33 - May 31 by WD19

Fortunately your task is to vote for someone to represent you, not to vote for a party. That's the whole point.

So are you genuinely saying that you cannot see any conflict here?

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:37 - May 31 with 2792 viewsDanTheMan

You can't separate the two like that though.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:40 - May 31 with 2783 viewsWD19

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:35 - May 31 by Lord_Lucan

So are you genuinely saying that you cannot see any conflict here?

That's a very personal question that only you can answer, but voting for someone who represents you and you think will do the best job seems like a sound approach.
Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:43 - May 31 with 2775 viewsLord_Lucan

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:40 - May 31 by WD19

That's a very personal question that only you can answer, but voting for someone who represents you and you think will do the best job seems like a sound approach.

Sorry but that is absolutely too simplistic.

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:43 - May 31 with 2776 viewschicoazul

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:43 - May 31 with 2775 viewschicoazul

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:45 - May 31 with 2760 viewscaught-in-limbo

If your vote is utterly worthless, why entertain the voting system by continuing to participate in it? You're only condoning it.

Politicians want us all to vote. They either want a thriving, participative democracy or simply the appearance of one.

If your vote (and that of 100s of 1000s of others) is utterly worthless, then it's not a fair, democratic electoral system.

If you vote anyway, you're demonstrating that you're happy with our electoral system and it won't get changed.

Seems like a good reason not to vote to me.
[Post edited 31 May 2017 9:51]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:51 - May 31 with 2744 viewsitfcjoe

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:45 - May 31 by caught-in-limbo

If your vote is utterly worthless, why entertain the voting system by continuing to participate in it? You're only condoning it.

Politicians want us all to vote. They either want a thriving, participative democracy or simply the appearance of one.

If your vote (and that of 100s of 1000s of others) is utterly worthless, then it's not a fair, democratic electoral system.

If you vote anyway, you're demonstrating that you're happy with our electoral system and it won't get changed.

Seems like a good reason not to vote to me.
[Post edited 31 May 2017 9:51]

I didn't last time, because I couldn't, not that it made any difference.

I will this time because I want to, my not voting last time didn't change the system.

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:54 - May 31 with 2725 viewsDecoy_Octopus

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:02 - May 31 by The_Romford_Blue

And mine

It's a Tory certainty

Proportional representation is needed. The sooner the better

Same in Suffolk Coastal too. :(
Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:55 - May 31 with 2723 viewsReuser_is_God

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:06 - May 31 by Lord_Lucan

Same here.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:56 - May 31 with 2717 viewstcblue

Not voting suggests lethargy, spoiling a ballot shows apathy. If enough people did this to make it newsworthy then we may have some hope in changing things.
Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:59 - May 31 with 2701 viewsKieran_Knows

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:55 - May 31 by Reuser_is_God

Same here.

Look at you all grown up ....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:59 - May 31 with 2700 viewscaught-in-limbo

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:51 - May 31 by itfcjoe

I didn't last time, because I couldn't, not that it made any difference.

I will this time because I want to, my not voting last time didn't change the system.

Nobody should be pressured into voting or not voting in a free democracy. It's your decision what you do.

I will say however that participation is hugely important to our politicians because healthy participation gives credibility to a government, both at home and abroad.

It's my view that very low participation, and therefore low credibility for our government might stimulate them to change things and perhaps result in more representative elections.

#toxic

Politics is so frustrating.... on 10:12 - May 31 with 2670 viewshype313

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:59 - May 31 by caught-in-limbo

Nobody should be pressured into voting or not voting in a free democracy. It's your decision what you do.

I will say however that participation is hugely important to our politicians because healthy participation gives credibility to a government, both at home and abroad.

It's my view that very low participation, and therefore low credibility for our government might stimulate them to change things and perhaps result in more representative elections.

In Australia you get fined if you don't vote.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Politics is so frustrating.... (n/t) on 10:13 - May 31 with 2662 viewscaught-in-limbo

Politics is so frustrating.... on 09:56 - May 31 by tcblue

Not voting suggests lethargy, spoiling a ballot shows apathy. If enough people did this to make it newsworthy then we may have some hope in changing things.

EDIT: lost during edit
[Post edited 31 May 2017 10:15]

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024