Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Left or right? 21:46 - Jun 1 with 4181 viewsWeWereZombies

Getting a train to Warsaw tomorrow and staying there a couple of days but decision to make on Sunday - do I head left for the Baltic states or right towards Krakow and Slovakia?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Left or right? on 21:49 - Jun 1 with 4166 viewsSarge

Right. But skip Slovakia and head straight to Budapest.
Left or right? on 21:54 - Jun 1 with 4152 viewsWeWereZombies

Left or right? on 21:49 - Jun 1 by Sarge

But I quite liked Olomouc when I went there a few years back and wouldn't mind poking around further east having never been beyond Brno Still, I was thinking about Budapest. What do you reckon about heading on to Belgrade after that?

Left or right? on 21:59 - Jun 1 with 4138 viewsSarge

Left or right? on 21:54 - Jun 1 by WeWereZombies

But I quite liked Olomouc when I went there a few years back and wouldn't mind poking around further east having never been beyond Brno Still, I was thinking about Budapest. What do you reckon about heading on to Belgrade after that?

I spent an hour or so at 2am on a train in Bratislava but apart from that have no knowledge of Slovakia, I just remember reading a thread on here where it wasn't considered all that great.

As for Belgrade I haven't been to Serbia but my travelling companion went to Bosnia and reckoned it was brilliant. I've been in Bosnia unofficially for about 5 minutes in an underground tunnel complex but that doesn't give one much of an insight to what it's like!
Left or right? on 22:15 - Jun 1 with 4107 viewsWeWereZombies

Left or right? on 21:59 - Jun 1 by Sarge

I spent an hour or so at 2am on a train in Bratislava but apart from that have no knowledge of Slovakia, I just remember reading a thread on here where it wasn't considered all that great.

As for Belgrade I haven't been to Serbia but my travelling companion went to Bosnia and reckoned it was brilliant. I've been in Bosnia unofficially for about 5 minutes in an underground tunnel complex but that doesn't give one much of an insight to what it's like!

Hmmm, unofficially in Bosnia and within vital infrastructure but needing to get out quick - any more to this story?

Left or right? on 22:28 - Jun 1 with 4082 viewsEdwardStone

Left or right? on 21:49 - Jun 1 by Sarge

Slovakia is ruddy gorgeous.....

Spend a couple of days in the High Tatra mountains just up from Poprad, take the TEZ elec train up to Strbske Pleso......a quick stroll around the lake. Then off for some Velke Pivo

Back to Poprad, take the bus to small town Revuca, best bus journey you will ever experience, I guarantee.

More Pivo, onwards by bus to Budapest....job done.

(Pop in and see Grandma when you are in Revuca pls)
Left or right? on 23:59 - Jun 1 with 4018 viewsSarge

Left or right? on 22:15 - Jun 1 by WeWereZombies

Hmmm, unofficially in Bosnia and within vital infrastructure but needing to get out quick - any more to this story?

Much more ;)
Left or right? on 00:54 - Jun 2 with 3987 viewsGuthrum

Tough choice. Czech Republic/Slovakia are great, Lithuania is also good.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Left or right? on 06:58 - Jun 2 with 3912 viewsWeWereZombies

Left or right? on 22:28 - Jun 1 by EdwardStone

Slovakia is ruddy gorgeous.....

Spend a couple of days in the High Tatra mountains just up from Poprad, take the TEZ elec train up to Strbske Pleso......a quick stroll around the lake. Then off for some Velke Pivo

Back to Poprad, take the bus to small town Revuca, best bus journey you will ever experience, I guarantee.

More Pivo, onwards by bus to Budapest....job done.

(Pop in and see Grandma when you are in Revuca pls)

Thanks for that idea, sounds like the off the beaten track stuff I like.

Login to get fewer ads

Left or right? on 19:57 - Jun 2 with 3836 viewsEdwardStone

Left or right? on 06:58 - Jun 2 by WeWereZombies

Thanks for that idea, sounds like the off the beaten track stuff I like.

I know a Town fan who lives in Poprad, he will sort you out with a couple of nights accommodation I'm sure

My ex's brother....nice lad, speaks almost perfect English

Poprad is a fine city, the mountains are stunning, the beer is delicious and cheap...velke pivo means large beer.

And that bus trip is amazing

PM me if you would like to know more
Left or right? on 20:00 - Jun 2 with 3832 viewsLord_Lucan

Krakow is brilliant, Bratislava is terrible.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Left or right? on 00:30 - Jun 3 with 3780 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Go to Krakow, brilliant city. Then 60 miles south to Zakopane - great spot in the mountains. Then go a little bit east to Niedzice, a little place right on the border with Slovakia - then head into Slovakia and take it from there. Great part of the world.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Left or right? on 22:06 - Jun 3 with 3708 viewsWeWereZombies

Thanks all, especially McCarthy Era, Lucan and Last Baron. Woke up this morning thinking Warsaw is too bl00dy hot and it is not even seven yet. But somehow, when I stood at the ticket machine in the train station, I decided to head for Krakow tomorrow - that TWTD subliminal at work again...

Have been impressed with Warsaw, much more vibrant than Berlin. Guthrum - think you would like the museum of the Warsaw Uprising if you have not already been. And Sarge, way up on the mezzanine they have a little section on GROM covertly tucked away.

Left or right? on 22:19 - Jun 3 with 3690 viewsredacted

Have been to both Slovakia and the Baltic states. Bratislava has improved greatly. I went there in 95 apart from being cheap not much else. Went there in February. Still cheap - though there are now tourist places in the centre which aren't cheap. Not much there but pleasant for a day or two. Other places in Slovakia could be worth a visit.
Vilnius, Kaunas are nice in Lithuania. Elektrenau is the most boring place that exists. Tallinn is nice in Estonia. Riga in Latvia is nice again the actual centre isn't cheap. but else where is.
The Occupation/KGB museums in each capital of the Baltic states are good but very moving.
There is also the House of horrors in Budapest.
Krakow is superb - Salt mines well worth a visit. Auschwitz is a should do.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2017 22:21]
Left or right? on 23:07 - Jun 3 with 3668 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Left or right? on 22:06 - Jun 3 by WeWereZombies

Thanks all, especially McCarthy Era, Lucan and Last Baron. Woke up this morning thinking Warsaw is too bl00dy hot and it is not even seven yet. But somehow, when I stood at the ticket machine in the train station, I decided to head for Krakow tomorrow - that TWTD subliminal at work again...

Have been impressed with Warsaw, much more vibrant than Berlin. Guthrum - think you would like the museum of the Warsaw Uprising if you have not already been. And Sarge, way up on the mezzanine they have a little section on GROM covertly tucked away.

Krakow is a much better city than Warsaw. Wroclaw is also a jewel of a city. Definitely get to Zakopane too as it's worth a day or two, especially if you like walking in the mountains.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Left or right? on 23:46 - Jun 3 with 3653 viewsSomethingBlue

Left or right? on 21:54 - Jun 1 by WeWereZombies

Get down to Belgrade (especially at this time of year) - it's superb.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Left or right? on 12:03 - Jun 4 with 3597 viewsLord_Lucan

Left or right? on 22:06 - Jun 3 by WeWereZombies

Surprised you didn't go much on Berlin, it's one of my favourite places.

Mind you I have only partied in the former East. I imagine that the former West could be like any other city.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Left or right? on 21:01 - Jun 4 with 3529 viewsWeWereZombies

Left or right? on 12:03 - Jun 4 by Lord_Lucan

Surprised you didn't go much on Berlin, it's one of my favourite places.

Mind you I have only partied in the former East. I imagine that the former West could be like any other city.

I think it's all down to expectations, and at 62 I am looking for a vibe rather than a party. And I did all the main sights in a three hour walk after putting my pack in a locker (could have dispensed with two nights in Berlin and pushed the trip further east sooner), whereas I expected nothing of Warsaw and found a lot more than I expected.

Left or right? on 18:24 - Jun 20 with 3333 viewsMaySixth

I don't know.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Left or right? on 19:05 - Jun 20 with 3298 viewsWeWereZombies

Left or right? on 18:24 - Jun 20 by MaySixth

I don't know.

Neither did I, which is why I asked. In the event I went right but Eastern Europe, even in early June, was far too warm for me so I got to the south of Poland and turned left - Gdansk is a fine city - but still too hot. So I went to Hamburg, a little cooler and much more avant garde than Berlin, then I went to Needham Market, a bit cooler still. Now I am back on Skye and it is just right.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024