Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! 08:44 - Jun 2 with 7014 viewstortoise

Why is everyone so convinced that May will be better at negotiating Brexit!?! Frankly she has come across as a complete moron. Can't construct a decent argument for anything, never answers a question, appears scared of any sort of debate, can't decide on any election tactics and has a propensity to make u-turns in the face of criticism. Corbyn seems a much better communicator in every way!
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 08:45 - Jun 2 with 2501 viewsSteve_M

Define 'everyone ' here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 08:46 - Jun 2 with 2496 viewsWD19

Neither of them will be doing any meaningful negotiating.
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 08:50 - Jun 2 with 2485 viewstortoise

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 08:45 - Jun 2 by Steve_M

Define 'everyone ' here.

Well 'everyone' is a bit of an exaggeration, but her poll ratings on the issue continue to be considerably higher.
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 08:53 - Jun 2 with 2477 viewstortoise

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 08:46 - Jun 2 by WD19

Neither of them will be doing any meaningful negotiating.

I realise that it will mainly be civil servants who actually know what they're talking about, however the actual 'team' put forward to reassure the public is May/Davis/Fox/Johnson!?!

Frankly, Kier Starmer seems much more clued up.
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 08:55 - Jun 2 with 2472 viewsfactual_blue

She isn't. She just keeps repeating that she will be a strong and stable negotiator in the vain hope enough people will believe her.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20161026-how-liars-create-the-illusion-of-truth

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 08:57 - Jun 2 with 2465 viewsWD19

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 08:53 - Jun 2 by tortoise

I realise that it will mainly be civil servants who actually know what they're talking about, however the actual 'team' put forward to reassure the public is May/Davis/Fox/Johnson!?!

Frankly, Kier Starmer seems much more clued up.

If only there was a way by which the people could have a part to play in choosing who represents them......
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:02 - Jun 2 with 2447 viewsCoastalblue

Does it matter who we send? The EU has us over a barrel and will just tell us how it's going to be anyway.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:06 - Jun 2 with 2432 viewsfactual_blue

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:02 - Jun 2 by Coastalblue

Does it matter who we send? The EU has us over a barrel and will just tell us how it's going to be anyway.

What our Taking Back Control junkies don't understand is that each EU country suffers much less than we do by leaving. They can each sell stuff less cheaply to one country. We can sell stuff less cheaply to twenty-seven countries.

And for those who waffle blithely about getting our meat etc from Australia and New Zealand, the Chinese are rapidly buying up antipodean farms - and all the outputs go straight to China.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:09 - Jun 2 with 2414 viewsNo9

'Everyone' ? Kim Jong May is the last person the UK needs to be anywhere near nogtiating with the EU.
She says 'No deal' is better than a bad deal = that is, like everythign else she says meaningless but she is paving the way to walk away from negotiations when the right wing of the tory party tell her to.
The right wing want out whatever the cost to the country and the people they will get their way.
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:13 - Jun 2 with 2395 viewsVic

It's about her track record I think. Whilst she's been either at the top of government or a key member of the shadow cabinet JC has been leading - well nothing really! He's delighted in being a rebel, a thorn in the side of his parties leaders. Not saying that was wrong, but the fact is that he's never been a leader, never had to negotiate outside of the union movement, has repeatedly sided with and defended those who oppose western values.

I'm not fan of either, but going into such key talks as Brexit I know who I prefer to do it on my behalf.

Seems to me that JC's advisors have done a superb job on him the last few weeks and it's almost as if the last 30 yrs are being airbrushed out of the picture. But for me a leopard doesn't change his spots so quickly.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 9:54]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:21 - Jun 2 with 2370 viewsNo9

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:13 - Jun 2 by Vic

It's about her track record I think. Whilst she's been either at the top of government or a key member of the shadow cabinet JC has been leading - well nothing really! He's delighted in being a rebel, a thorn in the side of his parties leaders. Not saying that was wrong, but the fact is that he's never been a leader, never had to negotiate outside of the union movement, has repeatedly sided with and defended those who oppose western values.

I'm not fan of either, but going into such key talks as Brexit I know who I prefer to do it on my behalf.

Seems to me that JC's advisors have done a superb job on him the last few weeks and it's almost as if the last 30 yrs are being airbrushed out of the picture. But for me a leopard doesn't change his spots so quickly.

Maybe, if labour won they would do what the EU have done and put professional negotiators at the table?
As fas as can be seen the tory organisation is in a complete mess, this come from people who have resigned from Kim Jong May's employ because of her control freak behaviour.
As HS KJM was a disaster, if she performs like that in negotiations with the EU, which from what she has so far said, she does NOT understand, it will be a complete disaster however, to repeat my view, that is just what the tory right wingers want, they do not want any part of negotiations to succceed but can't be seen to be saying so but the real Brexiteers want a complete break no matter what the cost.
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:24 - Jun 2 with 2360 viewsWD19

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:21 - Jun 2 by No9

Maybe, if labour won they would do what the EU have done and put professional negotiators at the table?
As fas as can be seen the tory organisation is in a complete mess, this come from people who have resigned from Kim Jong May's employ because of her control freak behaviour.
As HS KJM was a disaster, if she performs like that in negotiations with the EU, which from what she has so far said, she does NOT understand, it will be a complete disaster however, to repeat my view, that is just what the tory right wingers want, they do not want any part of negotiations to succceed but can't be seen to be saying so but the real Brexiteers want a complete break no matter what the cost.

I think everyone has long since realised that there is no deal to be had.

The time for apportioning blame was immediately after the referendum. The is no mileage in trying to score points now. We are stuck with it.
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:24 - Jun 2 with 2362 viewsSWGF

Head of a failing campaign tells everyone that will listen that they're the best person for the job, going forward, despite results & performances.

Is this a political or football thread?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:34 - Jun 2 with 2347 viewsVic

"As fas as can be seen the tory organisation is in a complete mess, this come from people who have resigned from Kim Jong May's employ because of her control freak behaviour."

Who are these mystery people who have resigned from TM's 'employ'?

"As HS KJM was a disaster" - says who? All I have heard is that she was a pretty safe pair of hands , unspectacular but reliable and who tended to get things done. Where the evidence that she was a 'disaster'?
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 9:56]

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:34 - Jun 2 with 2345 viewsNo9

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:24 - Jun 2 by WD19

I think everyone has long since realised that there is no deal to be had.

The time for apportioning blame was immediately after the referendum. The is no mileage in trying to score points now. We are stuck with it.

'We are stuck with it.'

That was always the case but the tories have been trying to convince those who don't understand the EU otherwise.

But I refer you to my comments on the tory right wing
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:35 - Jun 2 with 2341 viewstortoise

Thanks. A well thought out response. Not sure I agree, but understand your point of view.
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:45 - Jun 2 with 2324 viewsCoastalblue

I don't like her, and my distate increases to deepen, but you really devalue your points with the name calling every time. It's akin to referring to the other one as a terrorist every time.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:52 - Jun 2 with 2315 viewsThePitBoss

Corbyn has said that "no deal is not an option".

Rule #1 in ANY negotiation is that you don't say this before negotiations have even started.
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:56 - Jun 2 with 2294 viewsBlueLikeJazz

"going into such key talks as Brexit I know who I prefer to do it on my behalf. "

yep, me too, and it definitely ISN'T Johnson, Fox or Davies.
Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:59 - Jun 2 with 2286 viewsVic

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:52 - Jun 2 by ThePitBoss

Corbyn has said that "no deal is not an option".

Rule #1 in ANY negotiation is that you don't say this before negotiations have even started.

Indeed! It plays well in an election but in real life? No thank you! It will be hard enough to get any kind of deal let alone showing your hand that openly - not good tactics. Mind you, I'm not overly keen on the hard line optimism from some in the Tory camp either! I really can't see them getting all they say and think they will have some explaining to do to the electorate when they come back with much less than they say they will get. They really should have learnt from Cameron's recent effort to get things changed.

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 10:02 - Jun 2 with 2275 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

It's a made up story repeated dutifully by a sympathetic media.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 10:04 - Jun 2 with 2264 viewsVic

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 09:56 - Jun 2 by BlueLikeJazz

"going into such key talks as Brexit I know who I prefer to do it on my behalf. "

yep, me too, and it definitely ISN'T Johnson, Fox or Davies.

I'm not sure that Boris will do too much of the ugh will he! I'm with you in that Davies doesn't fill me with confidence - though I suspect he knows more than he's saying. Fox is an unknown to me.

But even so, in my opinion, JC and his team are so much weaker simply because they have so little experience ta this top level diplomacy and negotiating. Sure, they could get in professional negotiators - but from where? We don't have them and we're going to have to learn on the job.

For me it's a matter of who is going to make the best of a bad job - and I speak as one who voted out (and would again). This will cost us, but in my opinion it will be worth it in the long run.

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 10:20 - Jun 2 with 2224 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 10:02 - Jun 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

It's a made up story repeated dutifully by a sympathetic media.

It's probably based in experience in government and negotiating with other heads of state.

Jezza may come across as a better people person but you have to remember that the EU negotiations are not going to be hosted by David Dimbleby in front of a live TV audience who will cheer and clap every time Jezza says something they want to hear and boo Michel Barnier every time he says something they don't agree with.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 10:26 - Jun 2 with 2210 viewsclive_baker

I can't stand Theresa May but it's all relative isn't it? What's the alternative? The thought of Diane Abbott sitting round a table in Brussell's with Tusk and Juncker goes beyond filling me with dread, it's actually laughable. It's a shame the Labour party don't have a credible and trustworthy proposition because this election could've been a cake walk. I'm not doubting Corbyn is a nice chap, I would happily go for a beer with the bloke but I think the Tories are best places when it comes to the Brexit negotiations, largely due to their prior recent experience. I feel like Labour would be completely ill prepared to begin those discussions 10 days after the election. The markets seemingly agree.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 10:27 - Jun 2 with 2204 viewsNo9

Why is May considered the best Brexit negotiator!?! on 10:04 - Jun 2 by Vic

I'm not sure that Boris will do too much of the ugh will he! I'm with you in that Davies doesn't fill me with confidence - though I suspect he knows more than he's saying. Fox is an unknown to me.

But even so, in my opinion, JC and his team are so much weaker simply because they have so little experience ta this top level diplomacy and negotiating. Sure, they could get in professional negotiators - but from where? We don't have them and we're going to have to learn on the job.

For me it's a matter of who is going to make the best of a bad job - and I speak as one who voted out (and would again). This will cost us, but in my opinion it will be worth it in the long run.

At the moment Mr Davis says he has about 500 working on Brexit in London & Brussels. He hasn't had time to recruit them and not all the Civil Servants the tories had sacked came back so he is probably getting them from the legal companies in the commercial sector at a lot of moeny + expenses per day. Estimated at more than a £mn a day so far.
No one knows the cost yet because no one has actually sat down & thought it through but as the companies line up to leave it doesn't look good and presently only labour have anythign in their manifesto that shows they understand and are making preparations.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024