Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This election is thoroughly depressing 08:08 - Jun 7 with 7591 viewsitfcjoe

The electorate are treated like idiots and they lap it up.

This country has a real issue with critical thinking and decision making.

EDIT - I don't think every one voting Tory is an idiot, I have myself in the past and may do again in the future. But the campaigns run by likes of the Mail are getting people that ware going to be adversely affected by Tory plans, and who would benefit massively from the Labour manifesto to vote Tory - it's an utter embarrassment
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 8:09]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This election is thoroughly depressing on 08:19 - Jun 7 with 5351 viewsSteve_M

It's the Lynton Crosby playbook; the whole Tory campaign is based on how bad Corbyn is. May called this election ostensibly because of Brexit (but we all know because of Corbyn) and has regurgitated platitude after platitude.

Oddly the Crosby thing only works when the papers go along with it; when he did the same last Summer it didn't. Again Cameron and Osborne failed to build a positive case for what they clearly wanted to do i.e stay in the EU.

Just a further dumbing down and upping of antagonism as we head towards a US style culture war.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This election is thoroughly depressing on 08:44 - Jun 7 with 5305 viewsNo9

The basic problem Joe is that there is no basic political education in UK schools & so many have no idea about what they are voting for.
As an example people are happy to see Mrs May tear up anything to do with Human Rights without undersanding that also means they loose their human rights not just people they don't like.

& we had a referendum on the EU with large swathes of the electorate niether knowing nor caring about the relationship the UK has with the EU so they don't understand what it might mean to them.

The fact that Mrs May called this election supposedly to be about the UK leving the EU was a lie but people don't understand that, the fact she has said less about leaving the EU than some of the opposition parties has been missed and no one seems to care about the most important thing in the future of the UK at present.

All that is unacceptable but as you say the UK public is being treated like idiots& they lap it up is true but very, very scary. Who was it who said keep the people ignorant they will be happy and easy to control
This election is thoroughly depressing on 08:49 - Jun 7 with 5299 viewsClapham_Junction

The front page of the Mail, Sun and Express will be something to behold if Labour somehow win. I might even consider buying them as collectors items.
This election is thoroughly depressing on 08:52 - Jun 7 with 5293 viewshype313

I think it's partly down to the candidates we have, they all have issues that make the public distrust them. I know numerous Tories who can't stand May, likewise Labour voters for Corbyn and Lib Dems for Farron.

Don't get me wrong, Blair had his faults, but by god could he mobilse the voters. And reading some details on his time as Labour leader, the manifesto was thought out for years starting in 94, so when 97 came along they had stressed tested every single policy on their manifesto and everyone within the party were all ready for the questions posed to them. The public could trust them as they had character in their conviction.

Fast forward to 2017 and all parties are essentially winging it, you can see that with all the excruciatingly painful interviews we have seen over the past month that none of them are on song, social media plays a part like it didn't in 97, but you would have thought they would all be fully up to speed on their respective manifesto.

Essentially, the highlight of this campaign has been waiting for the next hilarious interview to go viral, which from a comedy point of view is fun, but when it's our livelihoods at stake it suddenly becomes quite scary.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:00 - Jun 7 with 5282 viewsPinewoodblue

I've fully engaged on other matters the past eight weeks. Haven't seen a party political broadcast nor watched any of the debates. Haven't seen anymore thsn 10 minutes of Sky news at any one time and not read a newspaper more thsn 2-3 times a week and they skimmed through them.

From what I've seen and comments made by friends have to say Joe that you have hit the nail on the head. Not even sure I could tell you anything about the Conservative manifesto all I have heard is attacks on Corbyn or tasking the P*ss out of Abbot.

Is May taking this election as a given? She certainly doesn't seem to be saying why people should give her five years. Why people should trust her, and her party.

She is going to win though isn't she? Pick up a few seats in Scotland( friend in Perth told me all about that) keep most of seats in England thanks to those who voted ?UKIP last time. Glad I've missed most of it but will be home tonight so can vote but my vote won't count not in South Suffolk.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:05 - Jun 7 with 5258 viewsartsbossbeard

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:00 - Jun 7 by Pinewoodblue

I've fully engaged on other matters the past eight weeks. Haven't seen a party political broadcast nor watched any of the debates. Haven't seen anymore thsn 10 minutes of Sky news at any one time and not read a newspaper more thsn 2-3 times a week and they skimmed through them.

From what I've seen and comments made by friends have to say Joe that you have hit the nail on the head. Not even sure I could tell you anything about the Conservative manifesto all I have heard is attacks on Corbyn or tasking the P*ss out of Abbot.

Is May taking this election as a given? She certainly doesn't seem to be saying why people should give her five years. Why people should trust her, and her party.

She is going to win though isn't she? Pick up a few seats in Scotland( friend in Perth told me all about that) keep most of seats in England thanks to those who voted ?UKIP last time. Glad I've missed most of it but will be home tonight so can vote but my vote won't count not in South Suffolk.

She'll win but any lost seats will be seen as a Labour gain.

She called the election to take advantage of a weak Labour but to the credit of the people, quite a few have seen through this. Hope it backfires.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:09 - Jun 7 with 5229 viewsdavblue

I probably won't be voting tbh.

When i have seen interviews with party members they never answer the question put to them, i can't sit here and say im an expert but i don't really believe in any of the leaders from what i've seen.
This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:16 - Jun 7 with 5203 viewsPlums

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:09 - Jun 7 by davblue

I probably won't be voting tbh.

When i have seen interviews with party members they never answer the question put to them, i can't sit here and say im an expert but i don't really believe in any of the leaders from what i've seen.

Spoil your paper? I have done so before but never in a general election. Tomorrow may be the first, I am yet to decide.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Login to get fewer ads

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:19 - Jun 7 with 5180 viewsSWGF

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:05 - Jun 7 by artsbossbeard

She'll win but any lost seats will be seen as a Labour gain.

She called the election to take advantage of a weak Labour but to the credit of the people, quite a few have seen through this. Hope it backfires.

This is what gets me. If she ends up losing seats or making a MARGINAL gain, what has been the whole point of the exercise other than to waste money and precious time in arranging bloody Brexit (which she said this was all about and hasn't mentioned since)?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:23 - Jun 7 with 5158 viewsFixed_It

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:16 - Jun 7 by Plums

Spoil your paper? I have done so before but never in a general election. Tomorrow may be the first, I am yet to decide.

I just think of the millions in the world who don't have the right to vote.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:24 - Jun 7 with 5157 viewsSteve_M

This election is thoroughly depressing on 08:52 - Jun 7 by hype313

I think it's partly down to the candidates we have, they all have issues that make the public distrust them. I know numerous Tories who can't stand May, likewise Labour voters for Corbyn and Lib Dems for Farron.

Don't get me wrong, Blair had his faults, but by god could he mobilse the voters. And reading some details on his time as Labour leader, the manifesto was thought out for years starting in 94, so when 97 came along they had stressed tested every single policy on their manifesto and everyone within the party were all ready for the questions posed to them. The public could trust them as they had character in their conviction.

Fast forward to 2017 and all parties are essentially winging it, you can see that with all the excruciatingly painful interviews we have seen over the past month that none of them are on song, social media plays a part like it didn't in 97, but you would have thought they would all be fully up to speed on their respective manifesto.

Essentially, the highlight of this campaign has been waiting for the next hilarious interview to go viral, which from a comedy point of view is fun, but when it's our livelihoods at stake it suddenly becomes quite scary.

Hard to disagree with this:

Except about Michael Howard of course.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:29 - Jun 7 with 5134 viewsFixed_It

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:19 - Jun 7 by SWGF

This is what gets me. If she ends up losing seats or making a MARGINAL gain, what has been the whole point of the exercise other than to waste money and precious time in arranging bloody Brexit (which she said this was all about and hasn't mentioned since)?

Is that the Brexit that she was against just a year ago?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:30 - Jun 7 with 5134 viewsPinewoodblue

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:16 - Jun 7 by Plums

Friom the OP it seems people are lapping it up and don't mind being treated as idiots. Stayed in Bradford one night last weekend guy voted Labour all his life voting Conservative because Corbyn wouldn't nuke North Korea. Mindless reminded me of so many American friends who voted for Trump and would vote for him again tomorrow if given the chance as so far he has done no wrong and kept all his promises.

Spin is all about getting people to believe they are hearing what they want to here even when it is patently obvious they are not.

Time for me to go. Back late tonight or tomorrow as far as TWTD goes.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:30 - Jun 7 with 5136 viewsSwansea_Blue

Agreed Joe. We had my old man staying with us last week and he's an avid Mail reader. The stuff he was coming out with was seriously depressing. Just lapping up everything they write about (good and bad) and repeating it all back parrot fashion convinced that it's the absolute truth. No critical evaluation at all. No willingness to listen to others who may have a direct experience of the issues. If that's being replicated over the country, we've no chance. Whatever these papers print will become the 'will of the people'.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:35 - Jun 7 with 5115 viewsartsbossbeard

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:30 - Jun 7 by Swansea_Blue

Agreed Joe. We had my old man staying with us last week and he's an avid Mail reader. The stuff he was coming out with was seriously depressing. Just lapping up everything they write about (good and bad) and repeating it all back parrot fashion convinced that it's the absolute truth. No critical evaluation at all. No willingness to listen to others who may have a direct experience of the issues. If that's being replicated over the country, we've no chance. Whatever these papers print will become the 'will of the people'.

It's a generation thing, I'm sure.

My mum moans about going into town and not hearing an English voice, My Dad doesn't quite get that whilst we want revenge for the terrorism acts on our shores, the people of Libya should accept being bombed daily and simply take it on the chin.

I had RT on the other day when they came round - not that I'm a rabid Commie but simply to show them there's a different way of receiving your daily news intake.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:43 - Jun 7 with 5090 viewsLord_Lucan

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:19 - Jun 7 by SWGF

She genuinely thought that she would massively increase the Tory majority otherwise she wouldn't have called it. There was no reason to and no one expected her to.

She massively misjudged it - apparently - as we haven't got the results yet.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:43 - Jun 7 with 5087 viewsMJallday

the amount of biased media coverage on this election (on both sides) is disgusting.

i do bleieve the media should be restricted in this respect, but in a free speech/press world im not sure how it would work. all i know is that its its not very nice

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:44 - Jun 7 with 5072 viewscaught-in-limbo

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:23 - Jun 7 by Fixed_It

I just think of the millions in the world who don't have the right to vote.

As UK citizens we are lucky to have the freedom to vote. In some countries (I believe Belgium and Australia are two examples) you HAVE TO vote. They have no freedom to opt out.

You could justifiably exercise your privileged freedom to vote by choosing not to.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:46 - Jun 7 with 5050 viewsLord_Lucan

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:44 - Jun 7 by caught-in-limbo

As UK citizens we are lucky to have the freedom to vote. In some countries (I believe Belgium and Australia are two examples) you HAVE TO vote. They have no freedom to opt out.

You could justifiably exercise your privileged freedom to vote by choosing not to.

But do those countries have a non of the above option?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:51 - Jun 7 with 5018 viewscaught-in-limbo

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:46 - Jun 7 by Lord_Lucan

But do those countries have a non of the above option?

It's a good question, I'll look into it.

Actually, there are 22 countries that have compulsory voting including:

Democratic Rep. of Congo
Egypt
Lebanon
Ecuador
Brazil
Thailand

#toxic

This election is thoroughly depressing on 10:01 - Jun 7 with 4988 viewscaught-in-limbo

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:51 - Jun 7 by caught-in-limbo

It's a good question, I'll look into it.

Actually, there are 22 countries that have compulsory voting including:

Democratic Rep. of Congo
Egypt
Lebanon
Ecuador
Brazil
Thailand

It would appear that Greece, Belgium and Brazil are the only countries that have a NOTA (none of the above) option in elections where voting is mandatory.

In the remaining 19 countries where voting is compulsory, it appears that you have to vote for one of the parties on offer.

We are very lucky in Britain that we have the freedom not to vote.

#toxic

This election is thoroughly depressing on 10:37 - Jun 7 with 4949 viewsSwansea_Blue

This election is thoroughly depressing on 09:35 - Jun 7 by artsbossbeard

It's a generation thing, I'm sure.

My mum moans about going into town and not hearing an English voice, My Dad doesn't quite get that whilst we want revenge for the terrorism acts on our shores, the people of Libya should accept being bombed daily and simply take it on the chin.

I had RT on the other day when they came round - not that I'm a rabid Commie but simply to show them there's a different way of receiving your daily news intake.

It's a bit similar for me. I find myself taking contrary positions and defending people I don't have any strong views of, just to show the other side. All a bit bizarre!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This election is thoroughly depressing on 11:44 - Jun 7 with 4895 viewsLord_Lucan

This election is thoroughly depressing on 10:01 - Jun 7 by caught-in-limbo

It would appear that Greece, Belgium and Brazil are the only countries that have a NOTA (none of the above) option in elections where voting is mandatory.

In the remaining 19 countries where voting is compulsory, it appears that you have to vote for one of the parties on offer.

We are very lucky in Britain that we have the freedom not to vote.

I agree with that although if there was a NOTA choice I think it should be compulsory to vote. Really there should be an internet vote available but I assume it is too open to fraud.

This election is thoroughly depressing on 11:50 - Jun 7 with 4881 viewsunbelievablue

This election is thoroughly depressing on 11:44 - Jun 7 by Lord_Lucan

I agree with that although if there was a NOTA choice I think it should be compulsory to vote. Really there should be an internet vote available but I assume it is too open to fraud.

Interestingly, a couple of studies (Switzerland, Australia) have shown that mail-in voting has a minimal to zero effect on turnout. A lot of people actually feel less engaged when they don't have to go down the polling station. There are perceived social incentives to voting physically, in person. It'd be interesting to see whether this would be the same for internet voting.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

This election is thoroughly depressing on 21:09 - Jun 7 with 4775 viewscaught-in-limbo

This election is thoroughly depressing on 11:44 - Jun 7 by Lord_Lucan

Me too. I like the idea of compulsory voting if a NOTA option was available and the votes for it published alongside all the other options.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024