Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Twtd tech people: broadband question 14:32 - Jun 7 with 2038 viewsAxeldalai_lama

I'm thinking of downgrading my whole tv/phone/broadband package to save a few bob.
We currently have the top virgin broadband up to 200mb. The cheaper packages have the 100mb as standard, but we could pay a bit more and keep the 200mb.
My question is, will the wi-fi still have the same range on the 100mb as it would on the 200mb? As in, it may be a little slower, but will it still reach the same areas and not drop out?
As I type it sounds a bit of a stupid question, but I'm not sure and it's really not my area of expertise so help would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Twtd tech people: broadband question on 14:34 - Jun 7 with 2028 viewsgiant_stow

I *think* the wi-fi's reach will be the same as long as the router doesn't change. It'll just be slower

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Twtd tech people: broadband question on 14:39 - Jun 7 with 2014 viewsSWGF

Twtd tech people: broadband question on 14:34 - Jun 7 by giant_stow

I *think* the wi-fi's reach will be the same as long as the router doesn't change. It'll just be slower

Yep.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Twtd tech people: broadband question on 14:42 - Jun 7 with 2010 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Cheers.
I thought that made the most sense. Just couldn't find a straight answer anywhere.
Twtd tech people: broadband question on 15:18 - Jun 7 with 1959 viewsBOjK

You won't be getting 200mb on any wifi connection.

That would require you having a state-of-the-art modem at either end, putting the devices next to each other and having next-to-no interference.

In the real world you don't get this.

So ... not only will your wifi have the same range it will almost certainly have the same speed.

What *might*happen is if you had loads of devices online at the same time you might see some issues, but we recently downgraded from 100Mbps to 60, and that's more than we need and we stream a lot of videos - often 3 connections at the same time.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Twtd tech people: broadband question on 15:21 - Jun 7 with 1953 viewsMeadowlark

If both versions use the same domestic Wifi transmitter then your range will not be affected. ie you will still reach the furthest points in your house from your router, irrespective of 100 or 200. Presumably they will not change your equipment, just downgrade you at the exchange end?
Twtd tech people: broadband question on 15:42 - Jun 7 with 1926 viewsDeano69

Twtd tech people: broadband question on 15:18 - Jun 7 by BOjK

That would require you having a state-of-the-art modem at either end, putting the devices next to each other and having next-to-no interference.

So ... not only will your wifi have the same range it will almost certainly have the same speed.

What *might*happen is if you had loads of devices online at the same time you might see some issues, but we recently downgraded from 100Mbps to 60, and that's more than we need and we stream a lot of videos - often 3 connections at the same time.

This.

You will probably only get 20-40 mb download speed on a mobile device/tablet and less than 100 on a laptop. A wired device will notice a difference but that will depend on what you are doing (downloading big files - yes, sending a few emails - no)

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Twtd tech people: broadband question on 15:48 - Jun 7 with 1915 viewsLord_Lucan

Just turn it off and don't turn it on again.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Twtd tech people: broadband question on 15:49 - Jun 7 with 1913 viewsITFC1983

Slightly off your question, but...

I recently managed to argue with my broadband supplier to try and sort out my connection after a full day visit I now have a constant speed of 2.5mbs!!! Whoop!

What I wouldn't give to be getting any where near half your downgraded speed!

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Login to get fewer ads

Twtd tech people: broadband question on 16:21 - Jun 7 with 1878 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Twtd tech people: broadband question on 15:18 - Jun 7 by BOjK

No, I know it's "up to" which is only on a wired connection, so realised that the overall figure is a bit redundant. Which did make me wonder along the lines of what you said.

Whenever I do a token speed test I get around 50mb. This might roughly stay the same then I guess. That would be a bonus.
Twtd tech people: broadband question on 16:49 - Jun 7 with 1856 viewswkj

I am leaving Virgin on monday as the service in IP1 has been appauling, weve had about a 60% uptime in the last 30 days.

I am going with Plusnet for £30 (bb only) which caps at 78mb - and ill be honest with you I dont think my speed with virgin has ever gone much over 30-40mbps

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024