Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative 19:28 - Jun 7 with 5028 viewsMark

Whatever the pros and cons of some topics and stats which can be swung one way or another, the reasons below are pretty key for me why not to vote Conservative.

SCHOOL MEALS
Taking away free lunches from school children so they are not hungry.

STUDENT TUITION FEES
£9K per year debt and grants removed when education used to be free (in a time houses were affordable for young people!).

HOMELESSNESS
The number of rough sleepers doubling since 2010.

POLICE CUTS
Reducing Police numbers by 20,000 in these times.

HUNTING
Proposing to bring back killing British wildlife for fun.

DEMENTIA TAX
Taking the Estates of people who need care, whereas people lucky enough not to keep the lot.

I know money is limited, but there must be a fairer way of doing things.
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 19:37 - Jun 7 with 4588 viewsGlasgowBlue

SCHOOL MEALS
Only being taken away from people who can afford them. Children of parents on low incomes and benefits will still get them. Do you believe the education budget should be spent ion feeding the kids of parents who are high earners

STUDENT TUITION FEES
The uptake in university places has risen since tuition fees were introduced. The loan is only payable when a graduate reaches a certain level of income. There are no tuition fees in Scotland and the education system is collapsing.

HOMELESSNESS
No excuse. It's shameful.

POLICE CUTS
"in these times" 30% more, £3.4 billion, spent on counter terrorism over the past 5 years

HUNTING
Plain wrong. No excuse

DEMENTIA TAX
Currently your home and assets count towards social care. The Tory plan is to protect £100000. Currently only £23,000 is protected. I'd add that it is laughable that Labour are sticking up for inherited wealth.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 19:41 - Jun 7 with 4584 viewsBLUEBEAT

24 hours to Save the NHS from vultures

24 hours to provide free university education

24 hours to raise the minimum wages to £10

24 hours to end the scandal of zero hours

24 hours to save granny's house

24 hours to get a few more bank holidays

24 hours to invest in the police

24 hours to invest in the secret services

24 hours to invest in defence

24 hours to end rail profits going overseas

24 hours to end energy profits going overseas

24 hours to end the health care pay cap

24 hours to end food banks

24 hours to build some council homes

24 hours to stop national debt being used to subsidise tax breaks for the rich.

OR

24 hours to crap all over your children and grandchildren's future

Poll: W or W

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 19:42 - Jun 7 with 4571 viewsGlasgowBlue

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 19:41 - Jun 7 by BLUEBEAT

OR

Christ your lot have been running that 24 hours to save the NHS line since 2010. That's a bloody long 24 hours mate.

Iron Lion Zion

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 19:46 - Jun 7 with 4567 viewsMark

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 19:37 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

SCHOOL MEALS
Only being taken away from people who can afford them. Children of parents on low incomes and benefits will still get them. Do you believe the education budget should be spent ion feeding the kids of parents who are high earners

STUDENT TUITION FEES
The uptake in university places has risen since tuition fees were introduced. The loan is only payable when a graduate reaches a certain level of income. There are no tuition fees in Scotland and the education system is collapsing.

HOMELESSNESS

POLICE CUTS
"in these times" 30% more, £3.4 billion, spent on counter terrorism over the past 5 years

HUNTING
Plain wrong. No excuse

DEMENTIA TAX
Currently your home and assets count towards social care. The Tory plan is to protect £100000. Currently only £23,000 is protected. I'd add that it is laughable that Labour are sticking up for inherited wealth.

GlasgowBlue - Thanks for an honest response in that you agree some of my list are wrong. Regarding inheritance, I think people should be taxed fairly (including inheritance tax) and that money then used to support people who need care. If neighbours own £400K homes and one gets dementia, it seems unfair that one can pass on £400K and the other £100K as no one asks to get a debilitating disease. My point was about policy fairness and looking after people at all stages of life.
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 19:54 - Jun 7 with 4546 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 19:42 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Christ your lot have been running that 24 hours to save the NHS line since 2010. That's a bloody long 24 hours mate.

Your lot have been fu <king it over ever since !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 20:34 - Jun 7 with 4517 viewsmutters

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 19:54 - Jun 7 by BanksterDebtSlave

Your lot have been fu <king it over ever since !

In another post you have said that you are voting labour for the first time. Can i ask where you are switching from and why?

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 21:20 - Jun 7 with 4474 viewsWestover

All Labour will do is borrow borrow borrow and put the country in so much debt that will take many years to pay back also they won't do half what they say they will.
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 21:36 - Jun 7 with 4458 viewsGlasgowBlue

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 19:46 - Jun 7 by Mark

GlasgowBlue - Thanks for an honest response in that you agree some of my list are wrong. Regarding inheritance, I think people should be taxed fairly (including inheritance tax) and that money then used to support people who need care. If neighbours own £400K homes and one gets dementia, it seems unfair that one can pass on £400K and the other £100K as no one asks to get a debilitating disease. My point was about policy fairness and looking after people at all stages of life.

The simplest solution to social care would be very un-conservative but fair and workable. That would be to treat inheritance as earned income and tax it at the current rate. That would raise more than enough o put into social care.

A complete vote loser though.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 21:42 - Jun 7 with 4448 viewsnoggin

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 21:20 - Jun 7 by Westover

All Labour will do is borrow borrow borrow and put the country in so much debt that will take many years to pay back also they won't do half what they say they will.

Haha, the irony.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 21:47 - Jun 7 with 4437 viewscrunchie1978

OR

And 24 hours for Labour to plant all these magic money trees!
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 21:48 - Jun 7 with 4429 viewsGlasgowBlue

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 21:47 - Jun 7 by crunchie1978

And 24 hours for Labour to plant all these magic money trees!

Jezza is growing them on his allotment.

Iron Lion Zion

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 21:50 - Jun 7 with 4424 viewscrunchie1978

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 21:48 - Jun 7 by GlasgowBlue

Jezza is growing them on his allotment.

There's going to be mass blubbing on here come Friday morning.
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 08:23 - Jun 8 with 4320 viewsSwn98

OR

24 hours to financial oblivion if you believe Corbyn and his mates, put ideology behind you and vote for the benefit of the Country.
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 08:28 - Jun 8 with 4304 viewspeterleeblue

SCHOOL MEALS

STUDENT TUITION FEES

HOMELESSNESS

POLICE CUTS

HUNTING
Plain wrong. No excuse

DEMENTIA TAX

A lot of inherited wealth nowadays in the mainstream comes from parents who benefitted from solid final salary pensions schemes, decent interest levels and mainly rising property prices. All of which is something Mr and Mrs Joe Bloggs cannot benefit from today. So their small inheritances may actually be seen as small assistance as they reach their own end of work retirement game.
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 08:31 - Jun 8 with 4297 viewsartsbossbeard

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 21:50 - Jun 7 by crunchie1978

There's going to be mass blubbing on here come Friday morning.

I said this yesterday, I don't think there will be mass blubbing.

I didn't & still don't expect a labour win and I doubt I'm alone with that within the Labour supporters. I'd do expect some gains and in the grand scheme of things, where TeeMay called an election with the sole intention to further advance the Tory majority, I'll take that.

No blubbing from this Labour voter although I do expect some "IN YOUR FACE, COMMIE'S" comments back the other way.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 08:39 - Jun 8 with 4277 viewsNo9

SCHOOL MEALS

STUDENT TUITION FEES

HOMELESSNESS

POLICE CUTS

HUNTING
Plain wrong. No excuse

DEMENTIA TAX

The last point you make is a bit disingenuous isn't it?
Maybe you have not read the proposal
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 08:40 - Jun 8 with 4274 viewsBlueNomad

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 08:31 - Jun 8 by artsbossbeard

I said this yesterday, I don't think there will be mass blubbing.

I didn't & still don't expect a labour win and I doubt I'm alone with that within the Labour supporters. I'd do expect some gains and in the grand scheme of things, where TeeMay called an election with the sole intention to further advance the Tory majority, I'll take that.

No blubbing from this Labour voter although I do expect some "IN YOUR FACE, COMMIE'S" comments back the other way.

I think the Tories will win an outright majority today and then get totally blown away in five years time by which time the damage will be irreparable.

June 8 - Repression and Poverty Day
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 8:42]
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 08:55 - Jun 8 with 4234 viewsGlasgowBlue

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 08:39 - Jun 8 by No9

The last point you make is a bit disingenuous isn't it?
Maybe you have not read the proposal

It's factually correct.

At present whether your local authority pays for your social care depends partly on how much money you have. If you have less than £23,250 you can be paid for (in part or in full). If not, you pay for yourself.

If you are in residential care 'how much money you have' can include the value of your home.
If you are cared for at home, it doesn't.

The Conservatives propose that the cut off point should change from £23,250 to £100,000.

They also propose that the value of your home should be counted whether you are still living in it or not.

The proceeds from your home will not be taken from you whilst you are alive so the people losing out are the beneficiaries from your estate.

We have a left wing Labour party fighting for the rights of inherited wealth. Bizarre.

Ps. I don't agree with the policy. Far to Milibandesque for this Tory boy's liking.

Iron Lion Zion

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 10:00 - Jun 8 with 4204 viewsADR

SCHOOL MEALS

STUDENT TUITION FEES

HOMELESSNESS

POLICE CUTS

HUNTING
Plain wrong. No excuse

DEMENTIA TAX

FYI - there will be a large number of school kitchens that close and people losing their jobs on the back of cutting Universal Infant Free School Meals, so nobody in these schools will get a hot meal. The industry estimates around 17,000 jobs could be lost. Given that people from the poorest communities need this benefit most, it does small of traditional Tory policy of taking from those most in need. I work in this sector and know of children's packed lunches being a cold burger from the night before which was already half eaten.
If that's want you want ......
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 10:01 - Jun 8 with 4200 viewsGlasgowBlue

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 10:00 - Jun 8 by ADR

FYI - there will be a large number of school kitchens that close and people losing their jobs on the back of cutting Universal Infant Free School Meals, so nobody in these schools will get a hot meal. The industry estimates around 17,000 jobs could be lost. Given that people from the poorest communities need this benefit most, it does small of traditional Tory policy of taking from those most in need. I work in this sector and know of children's packed lunches being a cold burger from the night before which was already half eaten.

And you have evidence to support this?

Iron Lion Zion

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 10:10 - Jun 8 with 4175 viewsSteve_M

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 10:01 - Jun 8 by GlasgowBlue

And you have evidence to support this?

There was a bit about this in Private Eye last week; schools have taken out contracts which means that either they or the contractor (often small businesses) will lose an awful lot of money.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 10:15 - Jun 8 with 4156 viewsgordon

It's well established that when you means test a benefit, be it the winter fuel allowance or free school meals, it has the following effects:

i) those considered too wealthy to receive the benefit are excluded from receiving it as planned;

ii) a proportion of those at the very bottom of society are also excluded from the benefit because they are unaware or unable to go through the administrative process necessary to receive the benefit; and

iii) there is an increased cost of administering the benefit.

In most cases its more efficient to use the taxation system redistributively to gain the desired result, rather than means testing benefits which could be universally available. And most importantly this avoids the serious negative impacts on the most vulnerable.
A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 10:16 - Jun 8 with 4154 viewsSwansea_Blue

SCHOOL MEALS

STUDENT TUITION FEES

HOMELESSNESS

POLICE CUTS

HUNTING
Plain wrong. No excuse

DEMENTIA TAX

Application numbers are down for University placed this year and Universities are quite worried about it. Given that they've turned into a sausage factories and need to maximise numbers to survive. Scotland's doing better than the rest in terms of numbers.

Some interesting pattern in the numbers.
Overall applications down
EU applications down more than avrage - big impact on revenue since their fees are higher
Nursing has seen the largest decline in numbers
Applications from older student significantly down - education post 18 is becoming more difficult as it becomes harder to afford.

https://www.ucas.com/corporate/news-and-key-documents/news/applicants-uk-higher-

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 10:17 - Jun 8 with 4153 viewsitfcjoe

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 10:10 - Jun 8 by Steve_M

There was a bit about this in Private Eye last week; schools have taken out contracts which means that either they or the contractor (often small businesses) will lose an awful lot of money.

And they've just spent fortunes getting schools up to spec - trying to get a catering engineer in school holidays for any of my pub work for the last couple of years has been a nightmare - and now just throw it away.

Kids are the future, they need to be helped but better to give tax breaks to big business

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

A few major reasons not to vote Conservative on 10:17 - Jun 8 with 4147 viewsnoggin

That burger represents jobs for people at Mcdonalds, which in turn means billions in corporation tax. Cough!

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024