Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. 00:02 - Jun 8 with 3018 viewsbaxterbasics

It may not surprise those who know me that I am hoping for a comprehensive blue win in this election. But some would question why given I am a below average wage earner, stuck in the private rent trap, working two jobs just to pay the bills, unable to provide any financial assistance to the two oldest children who are off to uni this year.

There are a few reasons, but the biggest one is the old cliche from William Jefferson Clinton: It's the economy stupid. There is only one party to be trusted with it.

If the economy tanks then all the debates about how much money should be spent on education, health, policing and so on become totally redundant, because there will no longer be any left to spend.

Younger voters skew left because they do not remember, and have not been told, what Corbyn's brand of 'old labour' did to the UK in the 1970s. Their re-nationalisation plans will be vastly expensive and will once again put power back into the unions hands to dictate their will to number 10, and bring the country to a halt when they are not happy. A previous prime minister fought long and hard to break their grip on our lives.

For all those spending promises Labour claim are costed via corp tax and income tax on £80K+, well they might raise enough in the short term but will quickly find out, it aint enough any more, and soon the lower middle and working class types like me will find taxes rising all over the place. On the subject of corporation tax, who really pays this anyway? It means less money for businesses to invest, less money for wages and employment, and higher prices for their goods and services. Maybe it will be shareholders who pay it - but this includes anyone with a pension scheme, like me.

I do not buy the 'evil tory cuts' rhetoric. There has actually been very little in the way of cuts; overall spending is up. What the opposition actually mean is "they haven't increased spending as much as we think they should". There is still a good reason for spending restraint - the deficit is still there, albeit reduced, and the debt needs servicing. A return to the big tax-and-spend days just stores up further pain later.

I agree Theresa May and her team have run a rubbish campaign. Clearly feeling too confident they put out a manifesto that set them up for trouble from the start and the PM has been laying low ever since. But as for her performance as PM, well I've not seen enough yet and am prepared to give her more time. Ultimately she will be judged on how Brexit plays out. Meanwhile Jeremy Corbyn has picked up points by appearing genuine and decent, revealing little about his more extreme ideological history, and promising lots of nice things. His front team of McDonnel, Thornberry and Abbott (now on leave) are all ghastly. I cannot believe 'Team May' has missed such an open goal with this mob. I just hope that once again the polls have underestimated the Conservative vote, and we see a decent majority returned.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 00:11 - Jun 8 with 2977 viewsvapour_trail

You strike me as a sado-masochist old boy,

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 00:13 - Jun 8 with 2968 viewsbaxterbasics

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 00:11 - Jun 8 by vapour_trail

You strike me as a sado-masochist old boy,

Enough of the old please. I'm still in me 30s.

zip

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 00:16 - Jun 8 with 2953 viewsvapour_trail

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 00:13 - Jun 8 by baxterbasics

You're younger than me baxters so I'll give you that.

You've always seemed keen on self flaggelation at the hands of the tories though. We all have to get our kicks somewhere I suppose.

I prefer narcotics,

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 00:16 - Jun 8 with 2956 viewsStNeotsBlue

The level of government borrowing has increased under the Tories but still everything is getting cut to the bone, be it education, the plod , our armed services, the NHS or any other form of public sector service you can think of.

I'm not a fan.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 0:21]
I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 00:28 - Jun 8 with 2918 viewsmutters

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 00:16 - Jun 8 by StNeotsBlue

The level of government borrowing has increased under the Tories but still everything is getting cut to the bone, be it education, the plod , our armed services, the NHS or any other form of public sector service you can think of.

I'm not a fan.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 0:21]

Debt has gone up, deficit has gone down. Until the deficit is no more government borrowing will continue to rise.

Whichever party gets in will have to deal with the deficit, though strangely this has hardly been mentioned by either party during this election campaign. So different the 2015 campaign

Blair / Brown had a big hand in creating this mess, spending money we didn't have, riding the good will for three terms of office. Then the proverbial hit the fan, now we have to face up to those "glory years" and pay back what we owe else leave our kids the bill to foot. It already feels like we've stitched them up already, with excessive house prices and climate change as two obvious examples.

Labour want to spend spend spend, we simply don't have this cash and their manifesto does not add up

I have really gone off May during the last 2 months, however Labour would be an economic step backwards imo. Socially a Labour government may be good, but again at what cost to the next and subsequent generations.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 01:04 - Jun 8 with 2873 viewsbaxterbasics

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 00:28 - Jun 8 by mutters

Debt has gone up, deficit has gone down. Until the deficit is no more government borrowing will continue to rise.

Whichever party gets in will have to deal with the deficit, though strangely this has hardly been mentioned by either party during this election campaign. So different the 2015 campaign

Blair / Brown had a big hand in creating this mess, spending money we didn't have, riding the good will for three terms of office. Then the proverbial hit the fan, now we have to face up to those "glory years" and pay back what we owe else leave our kids the bill to foot. It already feels like we've stitched them up already, with excessive house prices and climate change as two obvious examples.

Labour want to spend spend spend, we simply don't have this cash and their manifesto does not add up

I have really gone off May during the last 2 months, however Labour would be an economic step backwards imo. Socially a Labour government may be good, but again at what cost to the next and subsequent generations.

Thanks I was about to explain the same thing.

It is bizarre how little economic competence has featured in the election.

It started out focused on Brexit, understandably, then we had the manifestos which put Tories on the defensive, then it became about personality, then Manchester and London hijacked the whole thing. Strange, strange election.

zip

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 02:13 - Jun 8 with 2847 viewsbaxterbasics

zip

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 07:49 - Jun 8 with 2719 viewsHerbivore

There has been very little in the way of cuts? Are you actually kidding?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 07:53 - Jun 8 with 2709 viewsDubtractor

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 07:49 - Jun 8 by Herbivore

I think he might have Stockholm syndrome.

Working on the public sector I can tell you there have been huge cuts.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 07:55 - Jun 8 with 2701 viewsHerbivore

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 07:53 - Jun 8 by Dubtractor

I think he might have Stockholm syndrome.

Working on the public sector I can tell you there have been huge cuts.

Ditto. In 2010, amongst other things, the entire youth service in Norfolk was cut. A whole service just gone overnight. That's before you get into the extensive trimming of other services, years of real terms pay cuts and so on. Anyone who thinks there haven't really been cuts is deluded.

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 07:58 - Jun 8 with 2692 viewsGlasgowBlue

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 07:49 - Jun 8 by Herbivore

Dennis Healey cut more in one year than the Coalition and Tories have cut in seven.

And don't believe that things would have been any different had Labour won in 2010.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/mar/25/alistair-darling-cut-deeper-mar

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 08:01 - Jun 8 with 2686 viewsHerbivore

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 07:58 - Jun 8 by GlasgowBlue

Dennis Healey cut more in one year than the Coalition and Tories have cut in seven.

And don't believe that things would have been any different had Labour won in 2010.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/mar/25/alistair-darling-cut-deeper-mar

I'm in no mood for your whataboutery. I'll be glad when the election is over if only so I can have a brief respite from your Tory HQ lite campaigning on here.

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 08:03 - Jun 8 with 2678 viewsGlasgowBlue

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 08:01 - Jun 8 by Herbivore

I'm in no mood for your whataboutery. I'll be glad when the election is over if only so I can have a brief respite from your Tory HQ lite campaigning on here.

You're not interested in inconvenient truths that don't suit your agenda.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2017 8:09]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 08:38 - Jun 8 with 2639 viewsfactual_blue

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 02:13 - Jun 8 by baxterbasics

There were no economic difficulties for the Atlee government then, nor for WIlson after the 'you've never had it so good' boom in Heath's administration, oil prices didn't cause the inflation of the 1970s.

That graphic is utter garbage.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 08:41 - Jun 8 with 2628 viewsNo9

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 00:13 - Jun 8 by baxterbasics

Having read the tripe you committed to the post I would have said you were about 13
It isn't honest & isn't well thought through
& if you were not living through the good times 60"s 70's and were not struggling trying to get a job in the 80's you have no right to talk about them
I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 08:56 - Jun 8 with 2599 viewsSwailsey

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 02:13 - Jun 8 by baxterbasics

Nonsense.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I have never been further from voting Labour than I am tonight. on 09:22 - Jun 8 with 2568 viewsfactual_blue

Thirty going on eighty.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024