Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec 19:04 - Jun 11 with 8914 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's our environment stuffed then

Lots of people will now be waiting fpr whatever half-baked, madcap ideas he's going to come up with.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:18 - Jun 11 with 5006 viewsGlasgowBlue

I've always had a lot of time for Gove but his appointment shows that May is no longer in control of the party.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:20 - Jun 11 with 5000 viewsvapour_trail

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:18 - Jun 11 by GlasgowBlue

I've always had a lot of time for Gove but his appointment shows that May is no longer in control of the party.

The "reshuffle" has been hilarious. She doesn't have the power to move anyone on bar Liz Truss. How bad must she be!

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:24 - Jun 11 with 4981 viewsArcher4721

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:20 - Jun 11 by vapour_trail

The "reshuffle" has been hilarious. She doesn't have the power to move anyone on bar Liz Truss. How bad must she be!

What's really hilarious is that she called the election hoping for her 100 majority so she could sack her Chancellor Philip Hammond but she's ended up so weak she can't touch him.
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:36 - Jun 11 with 4949 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:20 - Jun 11 by vapour_trail

She's a complete hostage now. Joey Jones summed it up perfectly yesterday.

Iron Lion Zion

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:44 - Jun 11 with 4926 viewsJ2BLUE

Is this a sign that a 'hard' Brexit is still on?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:45 - Jun 11 with 4926 viewsvapour_trail

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:36 - Jun 11 by GlasgowBlue

She's a complete hostage now. Joey Jones summed it up perfectly yesterday.

George Osborne looked very chipper on the telly this morning. Cheshire cat chipper.

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:47 - Jun 11 with 4911 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:44 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

Is this a sign that a 'hard' Brexit is still on?

Brexit will be as hard as the EU negotiate.

Further to your election claim that Labour would keep us in the single market....

Iron Lion Zion

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:48 - Jun 11 with 4895 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:45 - Jun 11 by vapour_trail

George Osborne looked very chipper on the telly this morning. Cheshire cat chipper.

He must be kicking himself for leaving the HOC though.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:51 - Jun 11 with 4886 viewsJ2BLUE

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:47 - Jun 11 by GlasgowBlue

Further to your election claim that Labour would keep us in the single market....

As far as i'm aware that is a backtrack then.

For the record I still favour a 'hard' Brexit, free trade with the EU and trade and immigration with the wider world.

Truly impaired.

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:52 - Jun 11 with 4883 viewsvapour_trail

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:48 - Jun 11 by GlasgowBlue

He must be kicking himself for leaving the HOC though.

Not sure. He can never lead the party now. I think hes enjoying his new gig.

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:56 - Jun 11 with 4860 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:51 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

For the record I still favour a 'hard' Brexit, free trade with the EU and trade and immigration with the wider world.

That has always been Labour's position to be fair to McDonnell. I did point this out a few times.

Labour were criticised by not having a firm position on the EU but they did play a blinder on this, whether intentionally or not. A large number of remainers thought they were in favour of a second referendum whilst a large number of leavers thought they were in favour of a "hard" Brexit.

The objective of the government is to have a tariff free trade arrangement with the EU whilst at the same time having the ability to negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world.

Iron Lion Zion

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:57 - Jun 11 with 4854 viewsJ2BLUE

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:51 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

Just realised it's not a backtrack...at least officially. What they said was they wanted free trade with the EU. The EU have made it clear that we can't have the same deal outside as in so we'd need to allow the four freedoms. That's why I said they wanted to stay in the single market. I stand corrected although I don't see how their position is possible when the EU have really looked to turn the screw recently. One higher up in the EU said 'you've shot yourself in the foot, we want to shoot you in the other one'. I can find a source for that quote is anyone is interested.

Truly impaired.

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:58 - Jun 11 with 4842 viewsJ2BLUE

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:56 - Jun 11 by GlasgowBlue

That has always been Labour's position to be fair to McDonnell. I did point this out a few times.

Labour were criticised by not having a firm position on the EU but they did play a blinder on this, whether intentionally or not. A large number of remainers thought they were in favour of a second referendum whilst a large number of leavers thought they were in favour of a "hard" Brexit.

The objective of the government is to have a tariff free trade arrangement with the EU whilst at the same time having the ability to negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world.

Agreed, just replied clarifying.

Truly impaired.

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 20:05 - Jun 11 with 4813 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:57 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

Just realised it's not a backtrack...at least officially. What they said was they wanted free trade with the EU. The EU have made it clear that we can't have the same deal outside as in so we'd need to allow the four freedoms. That's why I said they wanted to stay in the single market. I stand corrected although I don't see how their position is possible when the EU have really looked to turn the screw recently. One higher up in the EU said 'you've shot yourself in the foot, we want to shoot you in the other one'. I can find a source for that quote is anyone is interested.

Although Labour's Shadow Chief to the Treasury thinks this is possible.

Iron Lion Zion

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 22:25 - Jun 11 with 4698 viewsSwansea_Blue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 19:47 - Jun 11 by GlasgowBlue

Access to the single market on tariff-free basis is the Norwegian model with freedom of movement. We'd also have to accept social (eg consumer) and environmental legislation. That's at the 'softer' end of the spectrum - quite different from what the govt is proposing.

It's as hard as we propose, depending on whether we want access to single market and EU programmes or not. If we do, we'll have adopt freedom of movement, relevant legislation, membership of the EEA, etc, and it necessarily becomes soft.

This route will be expensive though - Norway pay almost the same per head as we currently do but have no influence or voting rights.

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 22:34 - Jun 11 with 4676 viewsSwansea_Blue

That will be the real blinder if they pull it off, as the EU have said we can't have tariff free access without freedom of movement, but that's not possible with the Tory migration pledge. You'd also expect we'd have to comply to legislation related to products and services, etc. Again that wouldn't go down well with Brexiters.

On the face of it, that position looks like the 'having our cake and eating it' Brexit that we've been told from day 1 is not an option. If they can pull it off, great. But I imagine it will be a waste of time trying.

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 22:38 - Jun 11 with 4666 viewsSE1blue

Teacher's love him. He was so good for the profession and forward thinking.

Oh wait no, he was an utter moron who drove thousands of teachers into other professions.

I'm sure he'll do a great job.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 22:49 - Jun 11 with 4637 viewsGlasgowBlue

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 22:25 - Jun 11 by Swansea_Blue

Access to the single market on tariff-free basis is the Norwegian model with freedom of movement. We'd also have to accept social (eg consumer) and environmental legislation. That's at the 'softer' end of the spectrum - quite different from what the govt is proposing.

It's as hard as we propose, depending on whether we want access to single market and EU programmes or not. If we do, we'll have adopt freedom of movement, relevant legislation, membership of the EEA, etc, and it necessarily becomes soft.

This route will be expensive though - Norway pay almost the same per head as we currently do but have no influence or voting rights.

They said freedom of movement will end.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/24/labour-vows-to-rip-up-and-rethi

It's the same cake and eat it that Bros is proposing.

Iron Lion Zion

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 07:24 - Jun 12 with 4533 viewsNo9

"The objective of the government is to have a tariff free trade arrangement with the EU whilst at the same time having the ability to negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world."

This is misleading isn't it?
The UK's biggest single country export market is the USA.
The Bamford family (JCB) has considerable investments in India which look like becoming their biggest employment.

People will buy what they want and what they can afford, you can hike the price of a Ferrari & there will still be enough people who want one to keep the factory busy.

People need to wake up to the fact that we rely on the EU, Germany in particular far too much.
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 07:28 - Jun 12 with 4528 viewsSteve_M

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 22:49 - Jun 11 by GlasgowBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/24/labour-vows-to-rip-up-and-rethi

Well, quite. It would be nice now for both parties to start being honest about this and whether some spurious controls on immigration are worth losing our current access to the single marker.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 07:31 - Jun 12 with 4526 viewsNo9

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 22:49 - Jun 11 by GlasgowBlue

They could of course argue with the EU that the 'freedom of movement' should align more closely with what the original intention was.

Although from my point of view where I value opportunities and meriticracy I would like the EU to be as open as possible
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 08:13 - Jun 12 with 4485 viewsgordon

I hope Govey will have at least spent 10 minutes googling what this environment thingy is before coming up with his first 'idea'.
Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 08:29 - Jun 12 with 4457 viewsBlueBadger

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 08:13 - Jun 12 by gordon

I hope Govey will have at least spent 10 minutes googling what this environment thingy is before coming up with his first 'idea'.

Lest we forget, Govey-Wovey is the education secretary who tried to remove discussion climate change from the school curriculum. Still, it'll be funny watching him tell the farmers he conned into voting 'leave' why the Magical Brexit Success Fountain WON'T actually be spinning them all over with subsidies.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 8:40]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 08:57 - Jun 12 with 4435 viewsSteve_M

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 08:29 - Jun 12 by BlueBadger

Lest we forget, Govey-Wovey is the education secretary who tried to remove discussion climate change from the school curriculum. Still, it'll be funny watching him tell the farmers he conned into voting 'leave' why the Magical Brexit Success Fountain WON'T actually be spinning them all over with subsidies.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 8:40]

Well, he is replacing Andrea Leadsom who seems unsuited to the job of commenting on TWTD News stories let alone anything in government.

It does of course buy May a few days breathing space with Murdoch, which I'm sure is entirely coincidental.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 09:22 - Jun 12 with 4411 viewsBlueBadger

Oh lordy, Gove as Environment Sec on 08:57 - Jun 12 by Steve_M

Well, he is replacing Andrea Leadsom who seems unsuited to the job of commenting on TWTD News stories let alone anything in government.

It does of course buy May a few days breathing space with Murdoch, which I'm sure is entirely coincidental.

As an aside, Gove and his missus have always struck me as the sort of person who, if you met them individually would make you think 'Christ, I really pity their other half'. Imagine what going to parties at their gaff must be like.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024