Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My Bucket List - Advice Needed 14:17 - Jun 15 with 2337 viewswkj

I am at a point in my life where my family is small enough that I still have a degree of independance and the ability to create savings (with a bit of budgeting of course)

I have always been touched by the culture and people of Japan, having chosen Studio Ghibli as the focus of my media studies course work, Castle in the Sky being the first film I remember watching as a young lad.

So as you will have no doubt guessed, I want to go to Japan, but not so much as a blatant holiday, but more as a journey of discovery. The issues are, I do not speak Japanese, I am very poor at booking an itinerary/accomodation, and more selfishly, i want to go on my own without the lady half because - well - it's my life defining holiday (if that makes sense) - If i am take a back by it then a perma move here would become the new life goal.

So I am apprealing particularly to those who have much experience traveling/living in Japan and Asia- what is seem as reasonable pricing for accomodation and flight, How easy is it to survive with minimal Japanese language skills, and just how amazing is it there

With Love
The 'Real' Angela Lansbury

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

My Bucket List - Advice Needed on 14:24 - Jun 15 with 2305 viewsTIB

It was only yesterday I was talking with my Mum about my bucket list and wish to tick a few more things off before I have children...Japan being high up the list. I'm sure there are folk on here that will be able to give you solid advice, but if you are stuck, try Lonely Planet website, I use it often to research places before I visit...plus, on their forum, they split it into regions/countries, and the admit for each country is normally folk from that country so you can ask questions and get reliable info back.

If it's of any use also, there was a documentary on BBC I think a month or so back and it was some famous dude and his wife, travelling Japan in winter...less a holiday, more a journey like you want...someone on here might remember the name of him, but it was really useful to see the route and things they saw.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

My Bucket List - Advice Needed on 14:26 - Jun 15 with 2298 viewswkj

My Bucket List - Advice Needed on 14:24 - Jun 15 by TIB

It was only yesterday I was talking with my Mum about my bucket list and wish to tick a few more things off before I have children...Japan being high up the list. I'm sure there are folk on here that will be able to give you solid advice, but if you are stuck, try Lonely Planet website, I use it often to research places before I visit...plus, on their forum, they split it into regions/countries, and the admit for each country is normally folk from that country so you can ask questions and get reliable info back.

If it's of any use also, there was a documentary on BBC I think a month or so back and it was some famous dude and his wife, travelling Japan in winter...less a holiday, more a journey like you want...someone on here might remember the name of him, but it was really useful to see the route and things they saw.

Youa re always one i can rely on for travel advice, many thanks sir

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

My Bucket List - Advice Needed on 18:48 - Jun 15 with 2170 viewsTractorWood

I went to Japan in November. I'm pretty experienced in travelling. I went for just over a week and went to Tokyo, Yokohama, Nikko and Kyoto. All were unique and amazing.

I know about 5 words in Japanese and had no issues at all. You'll have more problems not knowing French in France. People in Japan are amazingly friendly and helpful, some will come up and ask you if you need help, one man took it upon himself to not give me directions but walk me to my intended destination which was clearly hugely out of his way.

I would recommend getting the tourist rail pass. It is about £200 or so for a week but gives you unlimited access to all state owned rail networks and bullet trains (except the Nozomi, which is only slightly faster). It's really easy, convienant and reliable.

Flights can be expensive if you go direct and short notice but won't be too bad if you are booking in advance and have some degree of flexibility. I flew into Tokyo Haneda and out of Tokyo Narita, both are fine and convenient.

I would recommend staying in traditional Japanese Ryokan (a bit like a b&b). Here's the one we stayed in, in Tokyo. It was cheap and clean but we spend very little time there as we were always out exploring. https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/ochanomizu-shoryukan.html

Bear in mind that it is very expensive during the cherry blossom season (especially Kyoto) so bear this in mind as hotels are usually booked well in advance.

It was a place that has hugely changed my perspective on life and a place I will definitely revisit. I hope it does to you too. Feel free to DM me with any further questions.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

My Bucket List - Advice Needed on 19:15 - Jun 15 with 2145 viewsMJallday

i think the biggest challenge youve got is explaining to Mrs Wkj why she's going to be left at home holding the baby whilst you "swan off to japan" :)

assuming you can get over that minor (major) hurdle. my advice :-

when i was 21, and 24 i did a similar thing i guess . at 21 i did america's east coast, then at 24 to canada, the article circle, and the great lakes.

both times i simply just booked a plane ticket there, and had the plane ticket back at a certain date - so i knew if it all went t1ts up - i could get home

nothing else was booked inbetween

i literally rocked up at the airport - hired a car there and then - and just drove to the first place i saw on the signs. i went from town to town, place to place - just followed my nose.

it was probably the most liberating and brave thing ive ever done - but had a whale of a time - met some brilliant people, some lovely ladies - and actually made friends who im still friends with almost 20 years later - and i learnt a lot . i grew up .

so thats my advice, the biggest jump is booking the ticket.

good luck.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

My Bucket List - Advice Needed on 19:31 - Jun 15 with 2124 viewsLesta_Tractor

We went to Japan a couple of years ago and the highlights were the bay in Matsushima (near Sendai) and the Fumishi Imari Shrine in Kyoto.

Also loved the bamboo forest and the old town around the river in northern Kyoto.

JR pass was brilliant and easy to use even without any Japanese skills.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2017 19:32]

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

My Bucket List - Advice Needed on 20:26 - Jun 15 with 2063 viewsWeWereZombies

My Bucket List - Advice Needed on 14:24 - Jun 15 by TIB

Sitting in Hamburg Airport a bit travel weary at the moment and feeling I would have got a bit more out of my current trip if I had packed a Rough Guide / Footprints / Bradt / Lonely Planet for Poland. Not just useful in preparing your trip but can give you a Plan B when things are not as you expect, and you find that your device is not connecting. Watch out for the trolls on the Thorn Tree if you use it.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2017 1:00]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

My Bucket List - Advice Needed on 21:29 - Jun 15 with 2005 viewsLord_Lucan

Sack Japan off, go to Pattaya and have a soapy.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

My Bucket List - Advice Needed on 23:54 - Jun 15 with 1938 viewsEireannach_gorm

Joanna Lumleys Japan Part 1: http://dai.ly/x4ws9sh

Joanna Lumleys Japan Part 2: http://dai.ly/x4ws9tj

Joanna Lumleys Japan Part 3: http://dai.ly/x4wshiv

https://tokyofox.net
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024