Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
child protection 12:42 - Jun 21 with 3329 viewstextbackup

Now I signed a form when little one started playgroup, saying I was fine with her picture to go online (social media or paper) etc, however I don't recall giving permission to use her name.

Yet a pic of her, and name, has made its way onto a news page. Horrible that it's even something to cause a slight worry (world we live in!) but what would you chaps do in this situation?

I'm assuming the playgroup would have told photographer/reporter child's name...

Mmmm

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

on 12:56 - Jun 21 with 3253 views_

child protection on 13:00 - Jun 21 with 3233 viewshomer_123

Three observations.

1. Check the form you signed, in case it does say they will use photos and names
2. The nursery our ones go/ have gone to - only publish pictures of the kids showing their hands or feet/lower leg, no faces whatsoever and no names, just initials at most.
3. This is purely a personal perspective and I appreciate everyone will feel differently. If you post pics of your little on FB, Instagram etc. then a Nursery posting them isn't much worse (yes, you can post on FB in a private group etc but that pic is outside of your control anyway at that point, if you see what I mean.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2017 13:03]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

child protection on 13:07 - Jun 21 with 3185 viewstextbackup

child protection on 13:00 - Jun 21 by homer_123

Three observations.

1. Check the form you signed, in case it does say they will use photos and names
2. The nursery our ones go/ have gone to - only publish pictures of the kids showing their hands or feet/lower leg, no faces whatsoever and no names, just initials at most.
3. This is purely a personal perspective and I appreciate everyone will feel differently. If you post pics of your little on FB, Instagram etc. then a Nursery posting them isn't much worse (yes, you can post on FB in a private group etc but that pic is outside of your control anyway at that point, if you see what I mean.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2017 13:03]

The pictures aren't an issue, we agreed to that, just not sure about the names... I'm 99.9% sure I'd have not said 'ok' to that...

Ta for both replies tho (libero also)

child protection on 13:09 - Jun 21 with 3176 viewshomer_123

child protection on 13:07 - Jun 21 by textbackup

The pictures aren't an issue, we agreed to that, just not sure about the names... I'm 99.9% sure I'd have not said 'ok' to that...

Ta for both replies tho (libero also)

Def have a chat with them and bring it to their attention but worth checking before you go in!

Def be annoyed though, you've asked names not be used, so if they have, I can completely see why that's not good at all.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

child protection on 13:27 - Jun 21 with 3119 viewsnoggin

Blimey, what a sad world we have created.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

child protection on 13:51 - Jun 21 with 3058 viewsCBBlue

Personally I'd try not to rock to boat too much unless you are 100% sure you didn't accidentally sign for photo and name. I'd have a word with the playgroup and explain that you saw his name included so you must've accidentally signed for this and could you please have the form back so you can correct your error. When you see the form you'll know for certain if it was your error or theirs and a safeguarding issue.

If it's their mistake I guess it depends on your general view on the playgroup, if you've got a great relationship with them and feel they are usually fantastic then personally I'd chalk it up to human error and let it slide but if it's added to any other doubts you've had I'd be onto ofsted like a shot.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2017 13:52]

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

child protection on 14:42 - Jun 21 with 2969 viewsstickymockwell

Did they post a picture of his school dinner as well next to a sparkling glass of something?
Unless you adopted him, I can't see what harm it can do?

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: Best left back in the last 10 years

child protection on 14:48 - Jun 21 with 2951 viewsFixed_It

child protection on 14:42 - Jun 21 by stickymockwell

Did they post a picture of his school dinner as well next to a sparkling glass of something?

Indeed - a disclaimer is signed re photos being published. It is perfectly acceptable not to give this permission, and there are sometimes genuine reasons for this permission to be withheld. But in normal circumstances, I also fail to see the real problem.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

child protection on 15:29 - Jun 21 with 2899 viewstextbackup

Some really decent replies, thanks.

Not sure some fully understand what I've written, I'm fine with pictures, having the name attached to it is my issue.

Agree sad that it even needs to cross my mind to worry.

People can parent however they wish, but for me personally I trust nobody, it wouldn't take much for some sick person to search the (uncommon) surname on Facebook, get mine and wife's name, catch a young dipsy member of staff off guard and be out of door with my child.
Anyone is free to take that risk, but personally I didn't want to.

And for what it's worth I 100% didn't sign anything to display name, nursery are beside themselves this has happened, and it's being investigated by appropriate bodies.

Thanks

child protection on 15:38 - Jun 21 with 2874 viewsHeathlander

When I ran a kids football club we would have a policy of NEVER putting the kids names with a photo on the website or in the press.

It was a child protection safety issue. We were happy with the photos but we would never allow the image to be linked to a name for obvious reasons.
child protection on 15:39 - Jun 21 with 2866 viewstextbackup

child protection on 14:48 - Jun 21 by Fixed_It

Indeed - a disclaimer is signed re photos being published. It is perfectly acceptable not to give this permission, and there are sometimes genuine reasons for this permission to be withheld. But in normal circumstances, I also fail to see the real problem.

and as I said, you can parent as you wish, personally I want to take any any risk I can

child protection on 15:40 - Jun 21 with 2853 viewstextbackup

child protection on 15:38 - Jun 21 by Heathlander

When I ran a kids football club we would have a policy of NEVER putting the kids names with a photo on the website or in the press.

It was a child protection safety issue. We were happy with the photos but we would never allow the image to be linked to a name for obvious reasons.

This was/is my issue. Seems that the playgroup aren't at fault here, and local paper just went ahead and didn't something they did not get permission for

child protection on 15:46 - Jun 21 with 2835 viewstextbackup

child protection on 14:42 - Jun 21 by stickymockwell

When I was younger my sister was 8 or 9 maybe, her pic was in local paper, with name under. For three weeks the house phone got a call from a man at 2200 most nights asking to talk to her, parents couldn't sleep and didn't leave the house with us with fear... now please tell me again what harm it could cause?

child protection on 16:35 - Jun 21 with 2769 viewsRimmersBrace

Which playgroup was it?

What's her name again?
child protection on 16:46 - Jun 21 with 2748 viewsDeano69

That's pretty much a no-no as far as I am concerned. I am pretty much OK with photos used to promote and record achievement, I really don't mind videos being taken while in a school production/play/sports days providing they are not published on Facebook etc. But I would draw the line at being able to identify my child by name in the public domain.

this is a useful article https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/safeguarding/photography-sharing-image

I would certainly ask them politely to take it down or if possible remove the identification. I wouldn't want a stranger to be able to speak to my little one using her first name and sounding very familiar...

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

child protection on 18:58 - Jun 21 with 2633 viewsRobTheMonk

I work as an ICT technician in a secondary school. There's a similar form that parents get given where they can choose whether their child can be shown on the school website/other media and if their name can be used. Most of the staff are not actually aware of students who don't have permission - I regularly have to ask for names of students in pictures to ensure they've got permission to be on our website. People tend to assume it's fine as the majority have permission.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024