Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
British Lions 21:07 - Jun 21 with 8504 viewsDissblue

Sorry to be a killjoy but what is the point of the British Lions team?

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: if you were asked to vote in a second Brexit referendum, would you vote:

British Lions on 21:10 - Jun 21 with 7262 viewsm14_blue

What do you mean?

What's the point of any sporting team?
British Lions on 21:59 - Jun 21 with 7170 viewsBlueastheycome

I was thinking about this earlier today...

Isn't the whole concept and setup abit 'colonial' and therefore outdated?
British Lions on 22:22 - Jun 21 with 7133 viewsWicklowBlue

British Lions on 21:59 - Jun 21 by Blueastheycome

I was thinking about this earlier today...

Isn't the whole concept and setup abit 'colonial' and therefore outdated?

If it was "colonial" good luck getting the Irish involved! A lot of peeps over here would have a problem with the Home nations phrase on wikipedia:

"The British and Irish Lions is a rugby union team selected from players eligible for any of the Home Nations — the national sides of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales."

Anyway, historically it was probably the only means for us all to assemble a side that could compete with New Zealand in years gone by.

These days as the sport has gone professional the gap has closed, leading to Irelands first defeat of the All Blacks in Chicago.

To that extent I agree it probably is outdated, but getting on the Lions squad is like getting an All Star in GAA in Ireland. Doesn't mean much in the greater scheme of things but recognition that you had a great season in your respective country.

PS Delighted O'Mahony got the captaincy....
British Lions on 22:27 - Jun 21 with 7119 viewschristiand

British Lions on 22:22 - Jun 21 by WicklowBlue

If it was "colonial" good luck getting the Irish involved! A lot of peeps over here would have a problem with the Home nations phrase on wikipedia:

"The British and Irish Lions is a rugby union team selected from players eligible for any of the Home Nations — the national sides of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales."

Anyway, historically it was probably the only means for us all to assemble a side that could compete with New Zealand in years gone by.

These days as the sport has gone professional the gap has closed, leading to Irelands first defeat of the All Blacks in Chicago.

To that extent I agree it probably is outdated, but getting on the Lions squad is like getting an All Star in GAA in Ireland. Doesn't mean much in the greater scheme of things but recognition that you had a great season in your respective country.

Really looking forward to Saturday's first test. I believe the Lions are really going to have a real go at them. I'm just wondering whether the tough warm up games will prove beneficial for the players to get used to the intensity and power of the NZ players? It's about time they get turned over at Eden Park, it's going to be an intriguing spectacle.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

British Lions on 22:33 - Jun 21 with 7106 viewsBlue_Blob

Being a Lion, for the player, is a very proud moment. It says to them that they are the best the 4 nations has at the moment. Nowadays I think it comes down to tradition. Being a lion is a pinnicle in the 4 nations. Apart from winning the world cup, I feel like its more of an accomplishment of the player rather than the side.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2017 22:40]
British Lions on 22:37 - Jun 21 with 7092 viewsWicklowBlue

British Lions on 22:27 - Jun 21 by christiand

Really looking forward to Saturday's first test. I believe the Lions are really going to have a real go at them. I'm just wondering whether the tough warm up games will prove beneficial for the players to get used to the intensity and power of the NZ players? It's about time they get turned over at Eden Park, it's going to be an intriguing spectacle.

Totally agree with you. It will be fascinating, the Lions were shocking for the first couple of games. But they have got better and better especially against the Maoris. I think we have shown that we have a very strong pack that can beat up the All Blacks up front. If the Lions can keep that dominence in close and in the scrum that gives a platform to win. The key will be can we get quick ball from the rucks and match their handling skills.

If the game ends up in broken play then I fear the worst and a hammering. It really is setup as a true Northern v Southern hemisphere rugby showdown.
British Lions on 22:46 - Jun 21 with 7069 viewschristiand

British Lions on 22:37 - Jun 21 by WicklowBlue

Totally agree with you. It will be fascinating, the Lions were shocking for the first couple of games. But they have got better and better especially against the Maoris. I think we have shown that we have a very strong pack that can beat up the All Blacks up front. If the Lions can keep that dominence in close and in the scrum that gives a platform to win. The key will be can we get quick ball from the rucks and match their handling skills.

If the game ends up in broken play then I fear the worst and a hammering. It really is setup as a true Northern v Southern hemisphere rugby showdown.

Certainly a different level with NZ. It's funny that looking back the Lions could've been undefeated going into this test. How they lost to the Blues and Highlanders I just don't know? I think what it has shown is that the top northern hemisphere boys are now not far behind the big boys of the Southern Hemisphere. I can't wait until England get a chance at NZ, Eddie Jones has got something brewing with his England squad.

British Lions on 22:55 - Jun 21 with 7050 viewsWicklowBlue

British Lions on 22:33 - Jun 21 by Blue_Blob

Being a Lion, for the player, is a very proud moment. It says to them that they are the best the 4 nations has at the moment. Nowadays I think it comes down to tradition. Being a lion is a pinnicle in the 4 nations. Apart from winning the world cup, I feel like its more of an accomplishment of the player rather than the side.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2017 22:40]

Spot on being a Lion carries enormous pride across the 4 nations. Getting your Lions number is massive over here it is recogntion you have reached the peak of the sport.

The argument is always around the coach and who they have picked. I think Itoje can feel hard done by after his performances to date. I'm over the moon O'Mahony has been made captain he makes a massive difference to the Irish 15 when he is on the pitch. The irish populace were shouting for his inclusion in the 6 nations...he could be our next Paul O'Connell.
Login to get fewer ads

British Lions on 23:15 - Jun 21 with 7002 viewsWicklowBlue

British Lions on 22:46 - Jun 21 by christiand

Certainly a different level with NZ. It's funny that looking back the Lions could've been undefeated going into this test. How they lost to the Blues and Highlanders I just don't know? I think what it has shown is that the top northern hemisphere boys are now not far behind the big boys of the Southern Hemisphere. I can't wait until England get a chance at NZ, Eddie Jones has got something brewing with his England squad.

Eddie has done a great job with the English squad, still a young team who will no doubt be challenging for another World Cup shortly.

Id still put Schmidt ahead of Jones as a coach, it will be an interesting 6 nations ahead. There was a lot of criticism in Ireland from our last campaign and we need to rise above the "choking" mentality Irish sports teams display when it comes down to crunch games or more importantly games we should win and are favorites.

Going to be controversial here and say Sexton has had it. He is just a target these days to get roughed up and injured. He's taken too many big hits in the modern era for his body to cope.

On the other hand Murray must be the best scrum half in the world currently?
British Lions on 23:37 - Jun 21 with 6979 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm sensing a huge misunderstanding about the nature of sport and/or geography.

What's your problem?

Pronouns: He/Him

British Lions on 00:10 - Jun 22 with 6942 viewsEireannach_gorm

The point of these types of combined selections were, in amateur era, to promote the game and make sporting connections. Similarly to the Barbarians but how it translates to professional stage is hard to gauge. It is the same dilemma that other sports have if they contain a professional aspect. The social aspect of amateur sport is replaced by the business element on the professional side. The squaring of this circle is a problem in most sports

My father was a Rugby man all his life and he reckoned that you should have to pay to play your sport. He didn't think much of players getting paid but then again he was of the amateur era.

I do smile when I see players kissing club badges or the despicable treatment of loyal players by clubs when they are no longer useful.

I too am delighted for Peter O'Mahony, a whole hearted player who is leaves everything on the pitch for club and country.
British Lions on 07:57 - Jun 22 with 6753 viewstaximan

British Lions on 22:27 - Jun 21 by christiand

would it mot be fairer if the british lions played against a new zealand and australia combined team ?

as you can guess, i don't do rugger
British Lions on 08:18 - Jun 22 with 6725 viewschristiand

British Lions on 07:57 - Jun 22 by taximan

would it mot be fairer if the british lions played against a new zealand and australia combined team ?

I suppose, but apart from a couple of Aussies I don't think that they'd improve the All Black XV. I'm so impressed by New Zealand how such a small nation of 4.5m continues to produce such quality rugby players year after year. Yes, people will argue that it is their national game, however football is meant to be ours and we certainly don't produce high quality sides and players of our own season on season.

British Lions on 08:41 - Jun 22 with 6689 viewshype313

British Lions on 07:57 - Jun 22 by taximan

Not really, New Zealand are the best Rugby team in the world, I doubt many if any Aussies would get in the NZ team.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

British Lions on 09:04 - Jun 22 with 6662 viewsDissblue

British Lions on 23:37 - Jun 21 by Darth_Koont

I'm sensing a huge misunderstanding about the nature of sport and/or geography.

What's your problem?

Isn't that just the point though?
How does a team of,admittedly, top internationals who play together even less than the national sides have any relevance these days.

Poll: if you were asked to vote in a second Brexit referendum, would you vote:

British Lions on 09:05 - Jun 22 with 6657 viewshype313

British Lions on 09:04 - Jun 22 by Dissblue

Isn't that just the point though?
How does a team of,admittedly, top internationals who play together even less than the national sides have any relevance these days.

It's not about relevance, it's about history.

Sometimes in Sport it's still quite nice to hold onto old traditions.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

British Lions on 12:00 - Jun 22 with 6595 viewsRadlett_blue

In the old amateur days, getting on a British & Irish Lions tour was seen as the pinnacle of your rugby career & recognition that you were considered one of the best in your position in the home nations. IMO, this has changed considerably since the advent of the Rugby World Cup & professionalism, although it's still considered an honour. While it's something of an anachronism given the huge expansion in the international calendar, the Lions will continue as the tours generate huge income for the host countries, plenty of which is channelled back into the game. In these times of a seemingly much more divided UK, I enjoy an occasion when much of England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland joins forces & temporarily forgets regional hostilities.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

British Lions on 12:05 - Jun 22 with 6580 viewsSaleAway

British Lions on 12:00 - Jun 22 by Radlett_blue

In the old amateur days, getting on a British & Irish Lions tour was seen as the pinnacle of your rugby career & recognition that you were considered one of the best in your position in the home nations. IMO, this has changed considerably since the advent of the Rugby World Cup & professionalism, although it's still considered an honour. While it's something of an anachronism given the huge expansion in the international calendar, the Lions will continue as the tours generate huge income for the host countries, plenty of which is channelled back into the game. In these times of a seemingly much more divided UK, I enjoy an occasion when much of England, Scotland, Wales & Ireland joins forces & temporarily forgets regional hostilities.

This. At the end of the day, sport is about entertainment. Thousands of people love lions tours, the players love being involved with them. If anything - there should be more sporting events like lions tours. Events that bring people together rather than tear them apart. That people want to play because it means something to them, not just because they are paid to be there.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

British Lions on 12:47 - Jun 22 with 6508 viewsTheBlueBarca

British Lions on 22:22 - Jun 21 by WicklowBlue

It's also fun to see a best of Home Nations team assembled.

I wish we had done something similar football, but petty nationalism always got in the way. If you look at it historically, is Britain and Ireland had just 1 football team we would have won more World Cups and Euros in the 70's 80's and 90's as all nations had some top players then. But again... nationalism... much more important.

Not now, the Premier League and the influx of many non Brit/Irish players has pretty much killed all of that.

Everyone on this forum is always wrong.
Poll: Should Tommy Smith be awarded a Testimonial at Ipswich?

British Lions on 12:53 - Jun 22 with 6493 viewsDarth_Koont

British Lions on 09:05 - Jun 22 by hype313

It's not about relevance, it's about history.

Sometimes in Sport it's still quite nice to hold onto old traditions.

Indeed. And the history and uniqueness (there's nothing like it and it doesn't make sense if you come at it from the perspective of other sports) are exactly the reasons that make it hugely relevant within rugby.

It's comparable to the Ryder Cup that also makes little to no sense if you look at it from a purely outside perspective. But of course within the sport it's recognised as matching and perhaps even going beyond the major championships.

Pronouns: He/Him

British Lions on 12:54 - Jun 22 with 6487 viewsSwansea_Blue

There's something quite nice about something that, on the face of it, is completely pointless but gets supported and celebrated with intense rivalry. Rugby international 'friendlies' are the same.

Ultimately that's what sport should be about and not the size of the prize pot.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

British Lions on 12:57 - Jun 22 with 6470 viewsstickymockwell

British Lions on 12:47 - Jun 22 by TheBlueBarca

It's also fun to see a best of Home Nations team assembled.

I wish we had done something similar football, but petty nationalism always got in the way. If you look at it historically, is Britain and Ireland had just 1 football team we would have won more World Cups and Euros in the 70's 80's and 90's as all nations had some top players then. But again... nationalism... much more important.

Not now, the Premier League and the influx of many non Brit/Irish players has pretty much killed all of that.

Just imagine it! Adding the likes of
Dalgliesh
Best
Giggs
Rush
Etc etc

I wonder what the best team would have been?

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: Best left back in the last 10 years

British Lions on 13:08 - Jun 22 with 6442 viewsReuser_is_God

So d1ckheads can pretend to love Rugby once every 4 years.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

British Lions on 13:24 - Jun 22 with 6410 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

British Lions on 12:53 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. And the history and uniqueness (there's nothing like it and it doesn't make sense if you come at it from the perspective of other sports) are exactly the reasons that make it hugely relevant within rugby.

It's comparable to the Ryder Cup that also makes little to no sense if you look at it from a purely outside perspective. But of course within the sport it's recognised as matching and perhaps even going beyond the major championships.

Good comparison with the Ryder Cup there, I'll be one of the d*ckheads Reuser is referring too that generally couldn't give a damn about rugby but loves a Lions tour

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

British Lions on 13:29 - Jun 22 with 6394 viewsSwansea_Blue

British Lions on 12:57 - Jun 22 by stickymockwell

Just imagine it! Adding the likes of
Dalgliesh
Best
Giggs
Rush
Etc etc

I wonder what the best team would have been?

SBR's team of the late 70s / early 80s was essentially a Lions team (minus Ireland)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024