Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who owns England....Kensington issue 00:45 - Jun 22 with 4304 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://whoownsengland.org/2017/06/18/where-are-the-empty-homes-in-kensington/
15 years empty some of them!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 08:28 - Jun 22 with 4207 viewsStokieBlue

Not sure it's right that he's trying to get the owners names. That's just pure witchhunting.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 08:31 - Jun 22 with 4199 viewsSteve_M

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 08:28 - Jun 22 by StokieBlue

Not sure it's right that he's trying to get the owners names. That's just pure witchhunting.

SB

There are all sorts of individual reasons why some houses may be empty. The right response is not to attempt to shame owners but alter the regulatory regime appropriately.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 08:51 - Jun 22 with 4174 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 08:31 - Jun 22 by Steve_M

There are all sorts of individual reasons why some houses may be empty. The right response is not to attempt to shame owners but alter the regulatory regime appropriately.

From the article....
"In a report published in July 2015, the council’s Housing and Property Scrutiny Committee examined in detail the problem of ‘buy to leave’ in the borough. ‘Buy to leave’ is the phenomenon of purchasing a property where the buyer has no intention to live in it; where the home is regarded purely as an investment — one that, in London’s super-heated property market, will rapidly accrue in value."

and.....

"Firstly, the area is plagued by offshore owners. As Private Eye’s map of offshore ownership shows, much of south Kensington has been gobbled up by firms with names like ‘Property International Holdings Ltd’, based in tax havens like the British Virgin Islands, or Bermuda, or Jersey. This is property speculation and tax avoidance of the most socially irresponsible kind, pushing up the price of housing for the rest of us."

Edit....do you really think it would be possible to shame the above, they thrive off it !
[Post edited 22 Jun 2017 8:57]

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 08:55 - Jun 22 with 4165 viewsStokieBlue

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 08:51 - Jun 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

From the article....
"In a report published in July 2015, the council’s Housing and Property Scrutiny Committee examined in detail the problem of ‘buy to leave’ in the borough. ‘Buy to leave’ is the phenomenon of purchasing a property where the buyer has no intention to live in it; where the home is regarded purely as an investment — one that, in London’s super-heated property market, will rapidly accrue in value."

and.....

"Firstly, the area is plagued by offshore owners. As Private Eye’s map of offshore ownership shows, much of south Kensington has been gobbled up by firms with names like ‘Property International Holdings Ltd’, based in tax havens like the British Virgin Islands, or Bermuda, or Jersey. This is property speculation and tax avoidance of the most socially irresponsible kind, pushing up the price of housing for the rest of us."

Edit....do you really think it would be possible to shame the above, they thrive off it !
[Post edited 22 Jun 2017 8:57]

All good points, I don't think it means someone's property should be seized though, that's proper banana republic stuff (a phrase I've unfortunately had to use a lot lately).

What it does mean is that there should be more robust rules around purchasing properties with specific clauses relating to empty dwellings and what happens in those instances. I feel very uneasy about retrospectively apply anything.

SB

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:04 - Jun 22 with 4131 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 08:55 - Jun 22 by StokieBlue

All good points, I don't think it means someone's property should be seized though, that's proper banana republic stuff (a phrase I've unfortunately had to use a lot lately).

What it does mean is that there should be more robust rules around purchasing properties with specific clauses relating to empty dwellings and what happens in those instances. I feel very uneasy about retrospectively apply anything.

SB

I almost agree apart from the retrospective uneasiness. The institutions referred to by me above would simply reinvest in other commodities and likely do handsomely from that instead. Housing should not be regarded as an investment commodity but as somewhere a person wants to live. I am also uncomfortable about commodification via rent over say 10 properties.......this way debt servitude lies !

Edit ....one way or another over the years privately owned property is going to return to the ownership of banks and business (probably via costs of care) these corporations will then rent them back to we plebs imho
[Post edited 22 Jun 2017 9:07]

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:08 - Jun 22 with 4110 viewsNo9

Not new is it?
Southwold was re-named Deadwold years ago due to the of the numerous empty properties
Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:10 - Jun 22 with 4097 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:08 - Jun 22 by No9

Not new is it?
Southwold was re-named Deadwold years ago due to the of the numerous empty properties

It's not even that lively in the winter....much like Aldeburgh!

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:11 - Jun 22 with 4096 viewsStokieBlue

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:04 - Jun 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

I almost agree apart from the retrospective uneasiness. The institutions referred to by me above would simply reinvest in other commodities and likely do handsomely from that instead. Housing should not be regarded as an investment commodity but as somewhere a person wants to live. I am also uncomfortable about commodification via rent over say 10 properties.......this way debt servitude lies !

Edit ....one way or another over the years privately owned property is going to return to the ownership of banks and business (probably via costs of care) these corporations will then rent them back to we plebs imho
[Post edited 22 Jun 2017 9:07]

How would they reinvest if you are seizing the property? I have no issue at forcing a buy-back at market rate but I am pretty sure that is not the implication of many people including that article.

I don't think anything along these lines should be applied retrospectively. For instance, you cannot bring in a law saying that it's illegal to have yellow flowers in your garden and then go back to 2010 and say you had yellow flowers, here's a 1000 pound fine. Clearly things shouldn't work that way.

I agree that in a country with housing issues that property shouldn't be an investment commodity. However the rules weren't against that when people did it. Going forward rules could certainly be made to penalise this form of investment.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:15 - Jun 22 with 4076 viewshype313

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 08:31 - Jun 22 by Steve_M

Indeed, it's not just London, villages around here like Orford, Thorpeness, Walberswick have lost the community aspect due to second homes having been purchased therefore leaving these places ghost towns in the week.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:27 - Jun 22 with 4062 viewsPendejo

SB

CPOs are used when it suits the Government / Local Authorities for project building. Weren't they used to build various London Stadia in the last decade or so? [Emirates, Olympic and the extended WHL]

So why not use CPOs to address the overall housing situation in London?

The free market in London has failed the working classes that actually make London tick; if there were no staff in the various food, drink, retail outlets and museums there'd be no-one to serve the visitors. It has also created a situation where some individuals are, quite frankly, taking the p, and abusing their fellow humans.

I have strong links with the Latin American community via my Colombian wife and I could point you to the buildings in London where individuals share rooms with 2 or 3 unrelated others at extortionate costs, and in some cases puts vulnerable people at risk.

Where a property has been unoccupied for X years with no on-going or planned works why not put it to the use it was intended for?

The thing in the article I couldn't get a handle on... the leasing of a property with no intention to use... unless leased by someone nearby who holds a freehold and wants to restrict properties on the market with specific intent to increase their own income. Thus would need massive property holdings to make this worthwhile.

The rich get richer, and as long as the masses get their gambling, football, sports, music & movie fix they will be docile ad happy. Long time since I read 1984 but I'm sure this is alluded to.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:33 - Jun 22 with 4047 viewsStokieBlue

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:27 - Jun 22 by Pendejo

CPOs are used when it suits the Government / Local Authorities for project building. Weren't they used to build various London Stadia in the last decade or so? [Emirates, Olympic and the extended WHL]

So why not use CPOs to address the overall housing situation in London?

The free market in London has failed the working classes that actually make London tick; if there were no staff in the various food, drink, retail outlets and museums there'd be no-one to serve the visitors. It has also created a situation where some individuals are, quite frankly, taking the p, and abusing their fellow humans.

I have strong links with the Latin American community via my Colombian wife and I could point you to the buildings in London where individuals share rooms with 2 or 3 unrelated others at extortionate costs, and in some cases puts vulnerable people at risk.

Where a property has been unoccupied for X years with no on-going or planned works why not put it to the use it was intended for?

The thing in the article I couldn't get a handle on... the leasing of a property with no intention to use... unless leased by someone nearby who holds a freehold and wants to restrict properties on the market with specific intent to increase their own income. Thus would need massive property holdings to make this worthwhile.

The rich get richer, and as long as the masses get their gambling, football, sports, music & movie fix they will be docile ad happy. Long time since I read 1984 but I'm sure this is alluded to.

As I've said in my subsequent post I have no issues at all with CPO's being used on these properties. CPO's are expensive though:

"Compensation rights usually include the value of the property, costs of acquiring and moving to a new property, and sometimes additional payments. Costs of professional advice regarding compensation are usually reimbursed by the Authority, so that people affected by a compulsory purchase order can seek advice from a solicitor and a surveyor and expect to be reimbursed." (from Wikipedia).

That means the purchase would be market rate plus costs. I have no issue with this being done if that's what people want. I just have an issue with retrospectively applying a new law which wasn't the case when people purchased them.

SB

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:35 - Jun 22 with 4039 viewsNo9

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:15 - Jun 22 by hype313

Indeed, it's not just London, villages around here like Orford, Thorpeness, Walberswick have lost the community aspect due to second homes having been purchased therefore leaving these places ghost towns in the week.

Yes, & not for the first time. It was a major issue in the 50's & 60's due to the numbers on American servicemen renting properties in the area.
Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:40 - Jun 22 with 4023 viewsNo9

SB

It isn't new but the latest problem was caused by Cameron / Osborne being paranoid about property prices collapsing in London after the bankers crash.You are right about more robust rules being introduced, I don't know if it is still tahe case but a few years ago, if yoy wanted to buy a property in parts of France you had to sit in front of the mayor and tell him / her how you would enhnace the local economy.

For several years now there has been pressue on the North Norfolk Council to double the Council Tax on empty houses because the owners put nothing into the local economy.

See my post on DeadWold in Suffolk
Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:42 - Jun 22 with 4014 viewsStokieBlue

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:40 - Jun 22 by No9

It isn't new but the latest problem was caused by Cameron / Osborne being paranoid about property prices collapsing in London after the bankers crash.You are right about more robust rules being introduced, I don't know if it is still tahe case but a few years ago, if yoy wanted to buy a property in parts of France you had to sit in front of the mayor and tell him / her how you would enhnace the local economy.

For several years now there has been pressue on the North Norfolk Council to double the Council Tax on empty houses because the owners put nothing into the local economy.

See my post on DeadWold in Suffolk

I don't think doubling the council tax would be enough.

You would have to do something more dramatic, x10 maybe would have an impact.

SB

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:47 - Jun 22 with 4003 viewsNo9

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:42 - Jun 22 by StokieBlue

I don't think doubling the council tax would be enough.

You would have to do something more dramatic, x10 maybe would have an impact.

SB

What was suggested a few years ago, to the Norfolk County Council, was the introduction of a scheme such as exists in the Channel Islands, a two price market system = one price for locals another price for non locals.

It was vetoed of course and the same Council vetoed new housing schemes unless the develpopers built roads - not estate raods but main roads e.g. a by-pass for Long Stratoon, which would have pushed up the cost of the houses to new unacceptable levels.

But that is how the NCC built the 'illegal' roundabout on the A11 to provide a direct route for the Uni Hospital.

The NCC are without doubt guilty of pushing up the cost of housing in Norfolk to unrealistc levels = relative to wages
Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:49 - Jun 22 with 3995 viewsStokieBlue

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:47 - Jun 22 by No9

What was suggested a few years ago, to the Norfolk County Council, was the introduction of a scheme such as exists in the Channel Islands, a two price market system = one price for locals another price for non locals.

It was vetoed of course and the same Council vetoed new housing schemes unless the develpopers built roads - not estate raods but main roads e.g. a by-pass for Long Stratoon, which would have pushed up the cost of the houses to new unacceptable levels.

But that is how the NCC built the 'illegal' roundabout on the A11 to provide a direct route for the Uni Hospital.

The NCC are without doubt guilty of pushing up the cost of housing in Norfolk to unrealistc levels = relative to wages

A two price system is surely completely unworkable?

Some locals might buy a place then sell it to a non-local and make a massive profit whilst other locals sell to a local and make no profit.

Also, how do you define local? If someone rents for 6 months in the area do they become local and get the vastly reduced price?

SB

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:52 - Jun 22 with 3987 viewshype313

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:47 - Jun 22 by No9

There is something similar going on in some Cornish towns, can't remember what the new rules proposed but saw it on tele a few weeks back.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:55 - Jun 22 with 3981 viewsNo9

Who owns England....Kensington issue on 09:49 - Jun 22 by StokieBlue

A two price system is surely completely unworkable?

Some locals might buy a place then sell it to a non-local and make a massive profit whilst other locals sell to a local and make no profit.

Also, how do you define local? If someone rents for 6 months in the area do they become local and get the vastly reduced price?

SB

I can't tell you the details because I don't know them but it has been in operation in the C.I. for years- maybe the net has details?
As Hype points out it is in operation in Corwall & my M-O-L tells me they are considering introducing it in the Dorset New Forest areas
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024